Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Dr Bob wrote:
    Oops switched from photobucket to imageshack, might need to tweak the size later if I can
    you should be able to get a thumbnail image link, it'll be small but you can click for the original size

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

img20120228155835.th.jpg
    the One euro bin in rage plus bogof PS2 fun in game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Dr Bob wrote: »
    img20120228155835.th.jpg
    the One euro bin in rage plus bogof PS2 fun in game.
    Lol you have to laugh .. Just opened the boxes .. Spiderman disc looks like someone bit it...and true crime has a phantom menace DVD in the box instead....jaysus!
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Lol you have to laugh .. Just opened the boxes .. Spiderman disc looks like someone bit it...and true crime has a phantom menace DVD in the box instead....jaysus!
    :)

Timesplitters is probably worth the sum of everything you paid alone though!

Only one thing left to do now, and that's order the true crime disc on its own for cheap off ebay!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

True Crimes is what happened when someone decided to take the GTA formula, invert it, and then promptly turn it to ****. Well, before GTAIV did the same thing half a decade later, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Got a Commodore 64 today and it's the exact model I wanted(also came with games, cables, tape deck and joystick).

Click pics for larger versions.

DSC_0882b.jpg

DSC_0883b.jpg

DSC_0885b.jpg

It needs a good clean and I have to source a proper video cable for it but I think it's in pretty decent shape. I'm also getting a Comet64 Internet Modem to use with it and a few other funky bits.
    I must say I'm looking forward to posting to facebook on it for the nerd cred :rolleyes:

Also handy to be able to run games from the server and you can get twitter programs and super basic web browsers for it as well.

Wow! What a beauty! <3 I need to get a breadbin myself.

Speaking of the C64, I'm a few days late posting these but what the hell...

Here's a big "Ultimate" smile for my fellow retroists! ;)

orp3v.jpg

Cables include Mega Drive RGB Scart + 3.5mm Stereo jack, C64 S-video + 2 x mono RCA, and a custom 1541 Ultimate Serial cable.

All from the absolute gentlemen that is Ian @ Retro Computer Shack.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Retro-Computer-Shack

Gave me a nice discount too!

The bag at the bottom is a kit for the Tape Adapter, which I have yet to solder.

I also received my htpc style wireless weapon of choice for the Raspberry Pi today, which came with a free wireless mouse...

J9LEv.jpg

Have you got your alarm set Steve? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Dale Parish

I'v a few burned out breadbins..
    Turns out both the transformers were fluctuating.

I'v a few burned out breadbins..
    Turns out both the transformers were fluctuating.

Ouch! Hold onto the cases. They're a thing of beauty and can be recycled for other projects.

We can rebuild her..
    We have the technology.
    I'll order some new (I guess) PLA chips soon

• Advertisement

We can rebuild her..
    We have the technology.
    I'll order some new (I guess) PLA chips soon

Multiple Raspberry Pi boards installed in the one c64 case, all networked internally?

There ya go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Got a Commodore 64 today and it's the exact model I wanted(also came with games, cables, tape deck and joystick).

Click pics for larger versions.

It needs a good clean and I have to source a proper video cable for it but I think it's in pretty decent shape. I'm also getting a Comet64 Internet Modem to use with it and a few other funky bits.
    I must say I'm looking forward to posting to facebook on it for the nerd cred :rolleyes:

Also handy to be able to run games from the server and you can get twitter programs and super basic web browsers for it as well.

OMG I need to get me one of those and a c64 while I'm at it

OMG I need to get me one of those and a c64 while I'm at it

Tis a nice addon all right.
    Get yourself a breadbin c64 if you can to get that added retro appeal :)
    I'm not a fan of the newer c64 models for some reason, they look too much like an Amiga maybe(nothing against Amiga's of course as I'm also a big fan)

Tis a nice addon all right.
    Get yourself a breadbin c64 if you can to get that added retro appeal :)
    I'm not a fan of the newer c64 models for some reason, they look too much like an Amiga maybe(nothing against Amiga's of course as I'm also a big fan)

They're much uglier tbh, and the plastic is a bit flimsier I'd imagine,(especially near the vents) I have yet to own a breadbin though.

I think I'm going to do an audio mod soon on my C64c,
    i want to replace the DC offset to the 8580R5 SID, which will give full volume during PCM playback, just like the 6581s.

This offset was removed in the in the 8580R and hence why the samples play much quieter on those sids.

I'll probably ground the Audio Input also, to reduce the level of noise.

waveform wrote: »
    They're much uglier tbh, and the plastic is a bit flimsier I'd imagine,(especially near the vents) I have yet to own a breadbin though.

I think I'm going to do an audio mod soon on my C64c,
    i want to replace the DC offset to the 8580R5 SID, which will give full volume during PCM playback, just like the 6581s.

This offset was removed in the in the 8580R and hence why the samples play much quieter on those sids.

I'll probably ground the Audio Input also, to reduce the level of noise.

The newer versions look way to modern if you ask me. I want that early 80's look on my c64 when I start posting to twitter and facebook with it :D

Multiple Raspberry Pi boards installed in the one c64 case, all networked internally?

There ya go.

You have made my day.
    Will purchase in the morning (hopefully) :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Horses for courses I guess. The breadbin C64 looks manky to me, but that's because we had the newer style one below, much nicer imo.

750px-C64c_system.jpg

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Horses for courses I guess. The breadbin C64 looks manky to me, but that's because we had the newer style one below, much nicer imo.

750px-C64c_system.jpg

Nice Amiga you got there Andrew, errrm I mean C64.

But your right, each to there own. I don't dislike the newer models(in fact I'm sure I'll pick one up alone the way), I just prefer the older depressing 80's styled version :)

While finding for a pic of Berzerk for c64, I found this....

specadore05.jpg

Sacrilege!!!!

You have made my day.
    Will purchase in the morning (hopefully) :D

DESTROY HUMANOIDS!!!

2mn1ysn.png

:D

Time to hit the hay. Good night lads, and best of luck!

When my breadbin did work I must say I preferred that one to my 64c. It felt more like a tank. Must pick up one of those disk drives too, I'v a LOAD of 5 1/4" floppies and no way to run them

• Advertisement

If it's the brown keys you dislike, then the german model or c64g, is a nice happy medium:

home_c64_5.jpg

Nice Amiga you got there Andrew, errrm I mean C64.

But your right, each to there own. I don't dislike the newer models(in fact I'm sure I'll pick one up alone the way), I just prefer the older depressing 80's styled version :)

Hah cheeky sod ya, if you think they look similar you need a trip to the optician! :P
    Ashamed to say the C64 was one machine from childhood I lost along the way, still can't bring myself to fork out for one - those loading times are something I don't want to relive and that flash cart is a bit pricey imo. :)

Another wiki pic:

772px-Amiga500_system.jpg

waveform wrote: »
    If it's the brown keys you dislike, then the german model or c64g, is a nice happy medium:

home_c64_5.jpg

That doesn't look too bad actually, but yeah, to me the breadbin one looks like it belongs in the 70s. Very fond of the C64 itself though, many happy memories of it (except the loading times :pac:).

H
    Ashamed to say the C64 was one machine from childhood I lost along the way, still can't bring myself to fork out for one - those loading times are something I don't want to relive and that flash cart is a bit pricey imo. :)

Pricey alright, but considering the complexity of the 1541 disk drive emulation, you can understand why the cost is so high.
    FPGA chips aren't cheap!

It's worth every penny so far, played it 3 nights in a row and I absolutely love it!

You should also check out the older options,
    they would be capable of loading .PRG files provided you can get the full games in that format. The advantage of loading prg files is that they load instantly.

You can get c64s pretty cheap, just ignore the likes of adverts where people are looking for 150+ and 300+ for them

Got mine on ebay, for less than 30 delivered, that was just the bare unit though.

You'd probably pick up a complete set at car boot sales for a similar price.

Right, time for bed now definitely!

Looks like I'll really need to open up the C64 and clean it inside and out. Very strong smell of smoke(smokers smoke, not on fire smoke) off it.
    I'm really glad I don't smoke and don't have that smell on my consoles and computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

First retro(ish) purchase in a While, got Resi Evil on the Gamecube from a nice fella on adverts. only a tenner and in excellent nick, bargain I reckon. That website is still a sham though.

Bit of a snatch tonight
    Again not my pictures as these are in England and I'v yet to pick any of this stuff up:
    IBM PC AT (286 processor)
    ibmpcxt286%20003.jpg
    And another IBM 5155
    5155frontopen.jpg

All those 286 and 386's remind I must bring up my old Amstrad 386 luggable from home then next time I'm there.

It's this model or a very similiar one.

amstrad2038620sx.jpg

A quality looking machine you got there :cool:
    Built to last. Unlike the crap they make today

• Advertisement

A quality looking machine you got there :cool:
    Built to last. Unlike the crap they make today

It's a beast of a thing. Screen is rubbish on it as its very early lcd/stn black and white type.
    Still runs as of a few months ago.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement