Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here every time you get something new!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Steve SI wrote: »
    Would an Eeprom reader/writer like the below one on ebay be of any use or is it the wrong type?

Dunno, but to do a proper job, these are often recommended:

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=4282

EDIT: No, the eBay one is the wrong type. Just looked in to it there. Pretty sure it's for different roms. Assemblergames recommends the GQ-4X. Think about how often you'd use it though and if it's not just worth sending them off to someone to write for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,455 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

A bit of an investment alright but would be amazing if you got good with it. Imagine having the ability to replace dud arcade board roms?

That's almost up there with Enternow's 1337 soldering skills :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pyongyang wrote: »

Dunno, but to do a proper job, these are often recommended:

http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewitem.asp?idproduct=4282

EDIT: No, the eBay one is the wrong type. Just looked in to it there. Pretty sure it's for different roms. Assemblergames recommends the GQ-4X. Think about how often you'd use it though and if it's not just worth sending them off to someone to write for you?

Hmm, I like the look of that GQ-4X and its adapter board.
    Where did I leave my credit card now......

Would be dead handy for writing those Blue Label Guwange ROMS definitely. Maybe for boards like Batrider too where you could buy one version and burn ROMS for other versions.

Would certainly pay for itself in that respect I guess.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Would be dead handy for writing those Blue Label Guwange ROMS definitely. Maybe for boards like Batrider too where you could buy one version and burn ROMS for other versions.

Would certainly pay for itself in that respect I guess.

70 euro on ebay direct from the manufacturer in Canada(not inc postage).

I'm tempted, it does Xbox and Wii programming as well.
    I'll do a bit more research before I decide.

• Advertisement

Didn't know it done that too, though it does get touted as 'the' ROM programmer of choice across many areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The GQ-4X is a great programmer, easy to use, programmed everything I've thrown at it. I've reprogrammed all the roms on my Ghosts N Goblins PCB and now have it almost fully back to life.
    I obviously have one if anyone needs anything programmed.
    The Top xxxx programmer I bought originally was rubbish, it would read any eprom but I never managed to write a single eprom with it, the cheap price is tempting but steer clear of them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is how Skynet started you know, all this rom programming in your bedrooms...
    One minute it fixing up that Taito boad, the next your creation is taking over the worlds nuclear arsenal, and you're wondering how come NORAD was Jamma compatible...

Can you do that phoenix thing on the CPS2 boards with the GQ-4X?

I've got 20 or so I need done(the bats were all replaced late last year so they should be fine for a while yet) and I want to start doing them in the next couple of months. If I can do it myself great, if I need to send them off then I guess I'll have to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Steve SI wrote: »
    Can you do that phoenix thing on the CPS2 boards with the GQ-4X?

I've got 20 or so I need done(the bats were all replaced late last year so they should be fine for a while yet) and I want to start doing them in the next couple of months. If I can do it myself great, if I need to send them off then I guess I'll have to do that.

You can do it yourself, not sure if that programmer will work, Cathal will know.

The Phoenix dumps are floating about on the net, but the way your meant to do it is to buy the images off the likes of Raz who created them, who will then email them to you to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

It sure can, the roms are available for download

I'll check out the prices and see how much it'd cost for 20 boards before I decide to go the dodgy or legal route :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Got this cool game this morning, Strikers 1945 II by Psikyo. Bought the first game in the series a few days before so surprised this arrived first. The board is a little dusty but otherwise in great condition, game works perfectly. Never gave the Strikers series much thought until recently, really like the look of them now. Anyway, some pics:

Board itself is quite small.

stk1945ii01.jpg

stk1945ii02.jpg

The dark vertical band you can see on some of these pics is from the camera itself not the game.

stk1945ii03.jpg

stk1945ii04.jpg

stk1945ii05.jpg

stk1945ii06.jpg

Will throw up some pics of the first one when it arrives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Couple of bits arrived today.

Not the rarest game by any means but it was new and sealed and the price was right.

DSC_0860b.jpg

DSC_0862b.jpg

DSC_0866b.jpg

And my mesh balls arrived(thanks to a group order arranged by K.O.Kiki).

DSC_0868b.jpg

DSC_0869b.jpg

I was worried that the colours wouldn't match up perfectly with the Egret 3 Sanwa colour scheme but the were spot on :)

Also got some non retro things like two GeForce GTX 590 cards and a few large internal HDD's.

Where you buying your internal drives Steve, I could do with upgrading one or two in my htpc but the prices for >1TB stuff are ridiculous due to the floods still.

EnterNow wrote: »
    Where you buying your internal drives Steve, I could do with upgrading one or two in my htpc but the prices for >1TB stuff are ridiculous due to the floods still.

I got my last batch from overclockers.
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=14&subid=1955

They're not the cheapest for most stuff but I had a small discount so it worked out all right.

I don't bother with anything less than 3TB these days as the amount of data I download and create myself fills them so quickly(I filled a 3TB last night alone on a video project I'm working on for example).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Hmmmm, how to compliment Steve's balls without the innuendo brigade jumping all over it like Ciderman and an flash cart/arcade stick combo. :p

Nice stuff Steve, the mesh variants do look excellent.

Cool I'll take a look. It's only HTPC duties I need them for, & it houses six drives so I can afford to look at lower capacities like 2TB etc. The price on the 2TB Eco's isn't bad actually

And a few more shots of them installed on the cab.
    Make sure to click on the them to see massive pictures of my balls :rolleyes:

Standard and Mesh:
    DSC_0871b.jpg

DSC_0874b.jpg

DSC_0877b.jpg

I must say I'm really happy with them. The pictures don't do them justice though as I had to use the flash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

See, I can be mature as well...
    Steve, you have a smashing pair of new balls, nicely textured too.
    See, no sniggering at all.

jumping all over it like Ciderman and an flash cart/arcade stick combo

Whats that supposed to mean????
    That thing is lovely jubbly!
    Ok, so it's been at least 6 months since i played anything on it, but it is cool, kinda...
    What I'd really like is the Street Fighter II Portable Megadrive that the same company make, it's got the six buttons on the front and a range of titles built in.
    All good so far...
    It also has the SD Slot!!
    I wonder what for?? Hmm....
    I want it but it does go for about 50 or 60 at the mo, hoping to walk into Smyths some day and see one going for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

was in GameStop today and got DQV for €9.99 :cool: (too lazy to get a proper photo now, will do it later lol)
    dragon_quest_v_thumb.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,817 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe you got it for a tenner. The amount of trouble I went through to get that bloody game and eventually having to get one from Italy for four times the price.

It's a good thing that, as a couple, you have a conjugal rights to all her games... handy that!

Must look out for Dragon Quest V now, just to annoy Retr0!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

img20120228113009.jpg.

That is the biggest picture of Panzer Dragoon Orta I have ever seen!
    Wow!
    Great game but only works on an Xbox, damn 360 doesn't run it properly.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    That is the biggest picture of Panzer Dragoon Orta I have ever seen!.
    Wow!
    Great game but only works on an Xbox, damn 360 doesn't run it properly.
    Oops switched from photobucket to imageshack as the android version of
    pb is crap ..might need to tweak the size later if I can . I saw panzer on a list of cheapest Xbox games on adverts and remember hearing about it here so nabbed it.
    And I do like my tekken ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,455 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You know what goes nicely with Orta? A copy of Saga!

My Wallet is in enough pain already!!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,817 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dr Bob wrote: »
    My Wallet is in enough pain already!!
    :)

Don't get too caught up in Orta. I fell in love with the universe with that game which led to be absolutely having to have Saga, so got the saturn with a modchip. Then fell in love with Saga and then Orta all over again since the story doesn't make sense outside of the context of the first one, but when you have that context, my god what an ending!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement