Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acer Aspire Revo R3600, £159.95 delivered to Ireland from Ebuyer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

zuroph wrote: »
    Hmm this thread has convinced me to hold off a short while, seems there might be an announcement from xbmc on the way..
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=88265&page=3
    i wouldn't limit myself with an xbmc box tbh, any more than i'd limit myself with a boxee box. for a few extra quid you get a full featured (and upgradable to some extent) PC with everything that you'd find in a boxee or xbmc specific box, just with the option of running any (or all, if it took your fancy) OS on it you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

True, but I may hold on a little while to see what this is, it might be upgradeable to the extent I want. Doubtful but will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

For all who missed out on last weeks deal: The cheap R3610 are back :D
    Currently 44 available @ £183.77 (2GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Win7)!

P.S. And now gone again, that's strange. They can't have sold them all in minutes. Maybe they will reappear later...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Fresh from the XMBC facebook page
    Mark as spamXBMC You know how inexpensive video players like the Popcorn Hour can't run XBMC, because their Sigma Design video chip doesn't support XBMC? Yeah, those items are now from a grim, dark past. Welcome to the future.
    XBMC Port From Sigma | XBMC
    xbmc.org
    Today Sigma Designs announced(pdf) that they are working to bring XBMC to their popular line of system-on-a-chip models (their new SMP8670 in particular).

[HTML]http://www.facebook.com/XBMC[/HTML]
    [HTML]http://xbmc.org/theuni/2011/01/05/xbmc-port-from-sigma/[/HTML]
    Today Sigma Designs announced(pdf) that they are working to bring XBMC to their popular line of system-on-a-chip models (their new SMP8670 in particular). For those not familiar with Sigma, they are a major player in the set-top box market and their SOCs are the heart of many products from Popcorn Hour and WDTV, as well as countless other consumer media devices

We believe this could lead to many interesting things for XBMC. Not only do we benefit from the source code from their port, but any company interested in developing hardware for XBMC now has another fine choice. Judging by the amount of times we’ve heard the question “does XBMC work on Sigma hardware?”, there is a great amount of interest.

A few of the XBMC developers, myself included, will be checking out their initial port first-hand at CES this week, as well as meeting with some of their developers and project managers. We will keep you updated as details emerge.

zuroph wrote: »
    True, but I may hold on a little while to see what this is, it might be upgradeable to the extent I want. Doubtful but will be interesting to see.
    looks like they might not be the only ones doing it either from the looks of this: http://www.geek.com/articles/gadgets/microsoft-to-unveil-200-windows-lite-apple-tv-competitor-at-ces-2011014/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

a hackable windows box could be sweet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

For anyone who's interested, the white 179.99 Revo that I ordered arrived today and it appears to connect at 150mbps to my router, so it obviously comes with an N wifi card which I didn't think it would based on the specs on their site - nice suprise.

There is SOME amount of bloatware on it though. Took me about 40 minutes to get rid of all the horsesh1t games it comes with. Not to mention the 'Acer Arcade' thing that seems to be, to my annoyance, installed on a hidden, locked partition with a couple other programs.
    Every attempt to uninstall these was was met with a crash - not so nice.

Managed to get rid of the partition and add the space back into the main partition thankfully.

Lots and lots of bloatware really annoying me here (coupld explorer.exe crashes too, nice) but other than that, it's great.

I've the 3700 coming tomorrow too so should be interesting to compare things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Got one too, it's going to be used to replace the good old NSLU.

The wireless keyboard & mouse are surprisingly ok. Cheap of course, but the very cheapness means it doesn't look like a traditional keyboard & mouse so the SO isn't objecting to it ;)

VLC doesn't run right. Something to do with hardware decoding I imagine. Media Player Classic runs everything fine, including 1080p.

Lots of bloatware, took a while to remove. It's also a bit stupid that it doesn't come with Win 7 media or a DVD drive, when the backup strategy is to create recovery DVDs.

I tried XBMC on it and it isn't the fastest. It arrived partitioned into a roughly 100gb each C&D drive, so that'll make installing Linux a bit easier.

It is very quiet, there should be no problems with it in a living room. There is one bright light on it constantly, and one lower red light, but you can angle it so that this is not visible, or stick it behind the tv like I've done.

hmmm wrote: »
    VLC doesn't run right. Something to do with hardware decoding I imagine. Media Player Classic runs everything fine, including 1080p.
    GPU acceleration in VLC is not enabled by default. You can switch it on by clicking Tools -> Preferences -> Input & Codecs -> Use GPU acceleration (experimental). Maybe this will do the trick.
    hmmm wrote: »
    It's also a bit stupid that it doesn't come with Win 7 media or a DVD drive, when the backup strategy is to create recovery DVDs.
    Yes, it is indeed stupid. But there is an easy way to get the recovery disks off that machine. You can download the free trial version of VirtualCD (http://www.virtualcd-online.com/vcd/apps/download/download.cfm?lg=0), mount a virtual burner using the software and burn the disks into .iso-files. Those can then be copied onto another machine or external hdd and stored there for future use. That won't save you from buying or borrowing an external drive should you ever need to copy the disks back to the Revo, but at least you know you have them somewhere now :) Maybe the recovery part could also be done by using a bootable usb-stick, but I will figure that out whenever the need arises.

BTW: Mine arrived yesterday evening as well by GLS. I hope I will find the time to hook it up later today and see how it performs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Quaderno wrote: »
    Maybe the recovery part could also be done by using a bootable usb-stick, but I will figure that out whenever the need arises.
    Yep, recovery or reinstallation can be done via USB stick. Just make a bootable USB stick and then copy the files from the DVD or iso straight onto it using explorer. This works with both Windows Install discs, and also the system repair disc that you can create.

I gave mine a clean install of Win7 that way. Just copied my Win7 retail DVD to a bootable USB, changed a line in the ei.cfg from 'Retail' to 'OEM' and booted off it. Installed and validated just fine with the licence key on the Revos sticker. Went to Win7 32-bit because it runs MUCH better on a low ram and low-spec system. If I ever up the ram to 4GB I may put 64-bit back on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

OK, having read this entire post I have the following in my eBuyer Basket and would like some final comments before I take the plunge, just to make sure I'm getting the right gear:-

1. This Revo - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225756 - It's £75 more than the best value version but with 3GB of RAM instead of 2GB and 500GB HDD instead of 250GB HDD.

2. This 2TB USB HDD http://www.ebuyer.com/product/219616 - It's the best value I can find and will primarily be used for storing and playing movies and music. The right choice or not?

3. These Poweline Adapters to ensure my Revo can go fetch torrents at a fair old clip. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179960 - Should I wait to see if I can get a decent and reliable Wi-Fi connection between the Revo and my router before investing in these?

Total spend for all three would be just under £400 so I want to make sure I'm getting this right!!

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Quaderno wrote: »
    GPU acceleration in VLC is not enabled by default. You can switch it on by clicking Tools -> Preferences -> Input & Codecs -> Use GPU acceleration (experimental). Maybe this will do the trick.
    Working perfectly now thanks. Someone earlier asked about remotes, on the iPhone there is a nice app which will control VLC.

BenEadir wrote: »
    OK, having read this entire post I have the following in my eBuyer Basket and would like some final comments before I take the plunge, just to make sure I'm getting the right gear:-

1. This Revo - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225756 - It's £75 more than the best value version but with 3GB of RAM instead of 2GB and 500GB HDD instead of 250GB HDD.
    Yes, that would be my choice at the moment as well. Fortunately I don't have to choose anymore :)But check the site regularly, the cheaper ones keep appearing from time to time! Right now one is available again.
    2. This 2TB USB HDD http://www.ebuyer.com/product/219616 - It's the best value I can find and will primarily be used for storing and playing movies and music. The right choice or not?
    No, I wouldn't go for that one. I don't know anything about this particular drive, but you can get 2TB USB-only drives for significantly less. Check amazon.co.uk, a number of offers from well known manufacturers are available. Personally I own one of those and it works as it should: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Western-Digital-Elements-External-Desktop/product/B003IPC21Y
    3. These Poweline Adapters to ensure my Revo can go fetch torrents at a fair old clip. http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179960 - Should I wait to see if I can get a decent and reliable Wi-Fi connection between the Revo and my router before investing in these?
    Again, I wouldn't go down that route right now. Check how the integrated wifi works in your particular circumstances and decide your options then. If you can't get it to work as needed then I would try something like this first. It's way cheaper, gets rave reviews on DX and can easily be added to your existing infrastructure without all the possible problems of those powerline devices. It will eventually work one way or the other :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hi All!

I have been checking this thread since day one well over a year ago and must finally put in an order!

- Thinking of the 3610 with the 500GBHD/3GBs RAM.

Final reservation is that there was a thread somewhere about an MSI (I think it was) competeing product that had an optical drive? Can't find it right now though... Had thought the DVD Drive might make it more user friendly for the non-tech Folks at Home.....

Anyone care to comment or will I just stick in the order for the 3610?

:P

Raiser wrote: »
    Hi All!

I have been checking this thread since day one well over a year ago and must finally put in an order!

- Thinking of the 3610 with the 500GBHD/3GBs RAM.

Final reservation is that there was a thread somewhere about an MSI (I think it was) competeing product that had an optical drive? Can't find it right now though... Had thought the DVD Drive might make it more user friendly for the non-tech Folks at Home.....

Anyone care to comment or will I just stick in the order for the 3610?

:P
    I think thats one of the MSI nettops you're referring to, some of them have optical drives alright.

One of the Asus Eee Box models also has an optical drive. I dont know much about it but it seems similar to the Revo. Comes with a media remote, so that's one less thing to buy, and they've put an external antenna on it, something the Revo badly needs.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-EeeBox-EB1501P-Factor-Premium/dp/tech-data/B0043D29EK/ref=de_a_smtd

Not as good value as the Revos were going for though.

Voodu Child is right.
    Compared to the current R3700 offer this Eeebox on amazon might actually be pretty good value, as the specs are very much the same and you get the optical drive thrown in as well for even slightly less money. But we are talking about €330 here, so both are not really cheap. It's time to remember that this thread had started with an £160 offer and was reanimated with another one at £180. Don't get carried away now...

The EEE Box has USB 3.0 which must add value but is the fact it only has 2GB Ram not make it a little lightweight for processing HD video or online games etc?

Ben

The EEE Box has USB 3.0 which must add value but is the fact it only has 2GB Ram not make it a little lightweight for processing HD video or online games etc?

Ben

Even the single-core Revo 3600 with 1GB ram was capable of playing 1080p H264. Its all done on the GPU once you use the right software.

What do you mean by online games? These Atom+ION boxes arent anywhere near powerful enough to play modern PC games, not smoothly anyway.

What do you mean by online games? These Atom+ION boxes arent anywhere near powerful enough to play modern PC games, not smoothly anyway.
    i don't know about that, i was playig just cause 2 on my R3610 and it was pretty smooth...about 5fps at 640x480. :D

I'm not talking about any serious games, just kids stuff, club penguin etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'm not talking about any serious games, just kids stuff, club penguin etc.

Who would buy their Kids Seal Penguin clubbing games :eek:

- The USB 3.0 point above is interesting, I might wait 6 months and price these again as to be honest what I have is working adequately for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Pretty much in the same boat as some as the others holding off before I order, I have been looking at the Zotac boxes most of them have a pretty good spec onboard lan ect for about 50 more over the Revo's going to hold off and look into again in a couple of weeks.

optical media becomes pretty much redundant once you have a networked media centre pc under your telly and a couple of USB drives for emergencies.

you can (and should) install your OS from USB much quicker than from cd or dvd.

most modern car stereo's now have usb, or sd card slots (or both) and if you don't have one, you can buy one from one of the lidl or aldi specials for less than 50 quid now and they work great.

all you need is your internet connection, your htpc & a nas or usb drive and you're all sorted.

i bought spindle packs of 100 blank cd's and dvd's, and a 25 pack each of dual layer dvd's and RW disks probably 2 years ago now and i still have a ton of them because they just don't get used any more.

i hae several usb sticks laying around ranging from 512mb to 4gb and various memory cards from 512mb up to 8gb, my phone has 32gb onboard and i have a 500gb 2.5" usb powered hdd for the bigger stuff i might need to move around.

when i bought all those cd's and dvd's i'd planned on needing to use them and more, but it just never happened and usb & networked machines took their place before i'd even realised it.

Can anyone shed some light about the WiFi cards on these for me?

I've a 3610 here connected at 150mb/s in Win7 to my N router.
    Nice surprise since it's listed as only having a B/G wifi card according to it's specs.
    WLAN: 802.11 b/g

I've a 3700 here connected at 54mb/s in Ubuntu to my N router.
    Despite the fact it specifically states that it comes with an N capable card in the specs.
    WLAN: 802.11b/g/n

The 3610 is downstairs and about 25-30ft away from the router.
    The 3700 is upstairs and about 20ft from the router and has almost direct line of sight with the router.

What am I missing here?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Vertakill wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light about the WiFi cards on these for me?

I've a 3610 here connected at 150mb/s in Win7 to my N router.
    Nice surprise since it's listed as only having a B/G wifi card according to it's specs.
    WLAN: 802.11 b/g

I've a 3700 here connected at 54mb/s in Ubuntu to my N router.
    Despite the fact it specifically states that it comes with an N capable card in the specs.
    WLAN: 802.11b/g/n

The 3610 is downstairs and about 25-30ft away from the router.
    The 3700 is upstairs and about 20ft from the router and has almost direct line of sight with the router.

What am I missing here?

On the 3700 with Ubuntu you need to edit two system files:

in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file
    add the following line:
    blacklist rt2800pci

in the /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf file
    add the 2 following option lines:
    snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0
    probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

Also- the wireless n card in the 3700 does not support the 5Ghz band- you need to check what your router is broadcasting on (a 150Mb connection on the 3610 is simply MIMO on the G band).

S.

Ah fair play to ya smccarrick. Much appreciated!

Vibe,

Thanks for your thoughts which I completely agree with. I just think it's handy having the DVD option as we still have a good few movies etc on DVDE which I know won't ever be ripped to the external HDD. Mostly kids stuff which they'll grow out of after which they'll be dumped.

I know there are basically two formats for external HDD's i.e. USB or eSata and that although eSata is faster it needs an independent power source which puts a lot of people off getting them.

Is it correct to say that no external USB drives need their own power source as they get their power from the USB connection? I was looking at some 2TB USB drives to get with my Revo (or EEEBox!!) and some of them seem to require their own power source which I don't want. I want the external HDD to be powered directly from the Revo.

Is the only way to tell if an external HDD requires it's own power source to look at the specs in detail and can I assume if the specs don't mention power sources then it will get it's power via the USB connection?

Ben

I know there are basically two formats for external HDD's i.e. USB or eSata and that although eSata is faster it needs an independent power source which puts a lot of people off getting them.

When you say eSATA is faster- you might not appreciate just how fast it is, compared to USB 2.0 drives- in real world situations, its probably between 8 and 10 times faster at reading, and up to 12-15 times faster at writing (the USB to SATA bridge tends to be a limiting factor with USB 2.0 drives.

Is it correct to say that no external USB drives need their own power source as they get their power from the USB connection? I was looking at some 2TB USB drives to get with my Revo (or EEEBox!!) and some of them seem to require their own power source which I don't want. I want the external HDD to be powered directly from the Revo.

Most USB external drives require a power supply. Small 2.5" form factor drives may be hostpowered- providing the USB port is powered, and also has sufficient power available (e.g. if you're using other USB host powered devices simultaneously, you may have an issue, though its unlikely).

There is no 2TB 2.5" hard-drive available as yet- so its a safe assumption that the 2TB USB drive you're looking at requires a power supply (as its likely a 3.5" drive in an enclosure that requires power.
    Is the only way to tell if an external HDD requires it's own power source to look at the specs in detail and can I assume if the specs don't mention power sources then it will get it's power via the USB connection? Ben

Its not an assumption you can make, no. If you look at the specs and it states its a 2.5", 2" or 1.8" drive- then it most probably is USB powered (often supplied with a dual headed USB cable, so it can draw power from 2 separate USB ports simultaneously). If it mentions its a 3.5" drive- it almost certainly needs a power supply.

I use a load of different type drives on my Revo- my own personal choice would be to use an eSATA if at all possible, as the difference in speed is phenomenal (its about 80% read speed of USB 3 speed, but even faster at writing than USB 3- never mind USB 2.0)........

I know its nice to not have to plug in a drive- but the revo is not a laptop, and has to be plugged in anyway- its not a massive stretch to plug in a vastly superior drive into one of its ports too.....?

smccarrick wrote: »
    On the 3700 with Ubuntu you need to edit two system files:

in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf file
    add the following line:
    blacklist rt2800pci

in the /etc/modprobe.d/sound.conf file
    add the 2 following option lines:
    snd-hda-intel enable_msi=0
    probe_mask=0xffff,0xfff2

Also- the wireless n card in the 3700 does not support the 5Ghz band- you need to check what your router is broadcasting on (a 150Mb connection on the 3610 is simply MIMO on the G band).

S.

Turns out it wasn't quite so easy unfortunately! :(

My problem wasn't really with a lack of wireless or hanging on reboots (although it will fix this!).
    I had a fully functioning wireless but only @ 54mb/s instead of 150mb/s+.

Turns out, there's a much, much more annoying problem than that.
    The Revo 3700 (or at least just my one) comes with the RaLink 3090 wifi, which Ubuntu doesn't have native drivers for. It'll run on the 2800/2860 drivers fine, but that'll only allow you a max of 54mb/s which may be fine for those who don't have an N router.
    So I needed to add the proper drivers myself to up the connection speed.

I followed this guide, for the most part. Unfortunately, since that guide, a lot has changed. Drivers have merged, things have updated and Acer have changed the wifi chipset I think:
    http://wombatdiet.net/2010/05/09/ubuntu-10-04-on-asus-1000-eee-pc/

Instead of downloading the RT2860pci drivers as the guide instructs, I downloaded the RT3090pcie drivers instead.
    And for every mention of 2860, refer to 3090. Also, the Linux headers version in that guide is out of date so you can't always copy/paste the commands from the guide directly into your terminal as you'll need to enter your own version.

The good thing is, you don't need to edit any files like they do in the guide (cmm_wpa.c and config.mk).
    If you try (like I did), you'll meet an a$sload of errors.

If I were to do it again, or if I was handy with Linux/Ubuntu to begin with, it would take a fraction of the time. I only copped about an hour into it that I was installing the drivers for the RT2860 (as the guide tells you!) and my Revo had the RT3090 instead.. :/

Spent probably the guts of 2 hours with my brother walking me through most of this over the phone and finally it worked so I'm happy.

• Advertisement

Vertakill wrote: »
    Turns out it wasn't quite so easy unfortunately! :(

In my case I simply don't have the time to spend playing with my hardware, as I used to (we've a young child and another on the way). I took the cheaters option- and replaced the wireless card with an Intel 5300..... (note- the 3610 ships with an Atheros card, not the Ralink one). The benefit of the Ralink one in the 3700- is it also has onboard bluetooth on the same chipset.

What speed are you getting from your wireless N on the 3700? (the reason I'm asking is the Atheros on the 3610, while nominally Wireless N, only broadcasts in the 2.2Ghz band, not the 5Ghz band- which is why the usermanual refers to the wireless as 'Draft N', I suppose).

Advertisement