Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neo geo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

megadrive 1 10volt psu does the job aswell,since the geo will draw as much as it needs*once again check your voltage your system can take as older models take 5v...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,581 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Talking about stupidity, I blew the PSU in my arcade machine doing something similar.

Took it out to give it a clean, flicked the 110v switch...forgot to switch it back. Put it back in...

*Crackle - Flash! *BOOM!!!* /hideous smell.

Thankfully the power surge stopped at the PSU and didn't ruin anything else in the cab.

If anything it was a good thing I guess, as it forced me to look into how to install a variable PSU. Which ended up giving me +5v to put in a neo geo 6 slot.

Breaking things and being forced to fix them yourself is the only way to learn! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

o1s1n wrote: »
    Talking about stupidity, I blew the PSU in my arcade machine doing something similar.

Took it out to give it a clean, flicked the 110v switch...forgot to switch it back. Put it back in...

*Crackle - Flash! *BOOM!!!* /hideous smell.

Thankfully the power surge stopped at the PSU and didn't ruin anything else in the cab.

If anything it was a good thing I guess, as it forced me to look into how to install a variable PSU. Which ended up giving me +5v to put in a neo geo 6 slot.

Breaking things and being forced to fix them yourself is the only way to learn! :)
    lol
    BAck about 5 years ago my boss was doing a call for us and pretending to be a technician, when he couldn't get the PC working he decided to flick that 100/220 switch, he had no idea it stood for the voltage, anyway he flicked it and instantly tripped the whole office fuseboard and ruined the psu in the PC.
    They still slag him about it

neo geo retroinspection in this months rg magazine,good read,no mention of the cd unit...

Master of the Universe

/runs over to neo-geo.com with popcorn to watch the inevitable flamewar.

I must pick that up. Odd they didn't mention the CD unit.

Maybe *loading* it was *loading* for the *loading* best *loading* really...! ;)

• Advertisement

lol maybe,mines still running grand from the megadrive psu,i would recommend the cd version to anyone wants a cheaper way,instance i coundnt really justify getting the cart port of the games when i already have them on the saturn/neo cd..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I still have a NeoGeo CD for grabs if anyone wants to make an offer!
    I would possibly take a brand new unopened DSi as a trade if someone was to be so bold!

Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I still have a NeoGeo CD for grabs if anyone wants to make an offer!

I feel a little bit tempted every time you mention that. Must..resist!!!

If only for the single reason that I wouldn't have space for it :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah yes, but, you see, the thing is....

It's not that big.

I have, one way or another, pretty much everything available for it.

It's got a dinky switch to pop between regions, nice!

It's about as cheap as you are liable to see one, given it's also got the box and a UK psu.

So, I can't really make it any more tempting.

And as far as I know a DSi retails for 180, a good deal for the NeoGeo CD.

Master of the Universe

There are a couple of gaping console holes in my collection which need filling. Japanese Saturn and Dreamcast are the most immediate. So I'll be making space for them before considering a Neo CD.

Why don't you just hang onto it yourself? You collect console so you might as well ;)

Aes consoles are nice and flat so you could sneak it in under a jumper easy enough...!

• Advertisement

i woundnt sell my one,i think its a great machine,it had some exclusive games..

Master of the Universe

The only exclusive I'd bother with would be Iron Clad (Supposedly there's a super elusive proto MVS cart somewhere in the world). There aren't really too many of them anyway. -

Iron Clad
    Crossed Swords 2
    Oshidashi Zentrix
    ADK World
    Neo Geo CD Special
    The King of Fighters '96 Neo Collection
    Shinsetsu Samurai Spirits: Bushido Retsuden
    Idol Mahjong Final Romance II

One thing I've always wondered about the system is if they toned down the quality of the arcade ports? Or are they exactly the same as the AES/MVS releases just with loading times?

exact same if i remember right,reason it was released was due to the high cost of the carts,since cds store about 700mb they where the perfect match for the carts,some games got remixed music+gallery,the later king of fighters did cut some animation/moves to cut down on loading time,video game critic did a good comparision of all the games,link*click on the game names to read in full*-

http://www.videogamecritic.net/neogeo.htm

I guess the reason I'm selling the NeoGeo CD is that I can't hang onto it anymore, too many consoles now, also things are uncommonly tight right now and we nurses are expecting a pay cut by December, so I figured the little man deserves to have his DS Phat replaced so I'm getting him a DSi one way or another, so this is one way!
    So, once again, if anyone wants to give me a brand new unopened DSi, or the price of one, 170 euro, they can have a lovely NeoGeoCD plus tons and tons of games.
    Please Mr. Mod, don't give out, I know this isn't adverts.ie

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well hopefully this time tomorrow, I will have said Neo Geo in my hands!!!!

how much did it cost you *yes im nosey..

I'm just having a few farewell games on it now, :(
    At least it's going to a good home....

so its neo cd?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,912 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm just having a few farewell games on it now, :(
    At least it's going to a good home....

Use the money you got from it to get the proper Neo Geo experience, a neo geo MVS with AES adapter :)

I hope you have a friendly bank manager.

Master of the Universe

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    a neo geo MVS with AES adapter :)

You mean a Neo Geo AES with an MVS adapter? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My Joystick turned up but no supergun still, they are having shipping "issues"

Master of the Universe

You're still waiting for that supergun? Feck man, that's gotta hurt!

My second AES controller finally came from Japan. Now just gotta find someone who wants to play some Slug!

Well, I have a NeoGeo MVS, no need for the NeoGeo CD anymore!
    And now it's gone, and I am going to use the money to help Santa Claus bring my son a nice new DS lite to replace his crumbling DS Phat.
    That's a good use of the few bob I reckon.
    I hope that Stoner gets plenty of use out of the old girl, plenty to play anyhow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

o1s1n wrote: »
    You're still waiting for that supergun? Feck man, that's gotta hurt!

It hurts but not as much as standing in the Stade de France on wednesday was. :mad: :(

For those looking for a NeoGeo experience follow these simple steps:

Buy this, it's a MVS OneSlot Motherboard, €90:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Neo-Geo-MVS-ONE-SLOT-Arcade_W0QQitemZ150386953369QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VintageComputing_RL?hash=item2303c2cc99

Buy this, it's a Supergun, and handles all the Video/Sound,€20:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/NeoGeo-MVS-and-JAMMA-Arcade-supergun-motherboard-MK-IV_W0QQitemZ250518765374QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ?hash=item3a5414ff3e

Buy this, it's a NeoGeo MVS Cart, €30:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Video-Game-SNK-Neo-Geo-KOF-99-MVS-Cart_W0QQitemZ170334629029QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Video_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ?hash=item27a8bc2ca5

And get one or two of these, €30:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Neo-Geo-SNK-AES-CD-MVS-Arcade-controller-pad_W0QQitemZ110459374381QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VintageComputing_RL?hash=item19b7e44b2d

And one of these, €17:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/new-Aopen-ATX-250GTF-250W-ATX-P4-PSU-w-PFC-Quiet_W0QQitemZ250532827710QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH?hash=item3a54eb923e

And that should be that, just use the scart to hook up the video, sound will need another set of phono cables, and life is good again.

Total Costs?
    About €190 or so, not bad, and the slippery slope to total MVS addiction!
    Expect to have a room filled with oversized carts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Tuh, nice enabling there, CiDeRmAn. Apart from fighters though (and Metal Slug) any standout titles? I've always been of the opinion that the neo-geo (and the Saturn to some degree) was inundated with 2d fighters, a genre I can really take or leave (and mostly leave). Considering its pedigree, it's completely understandable, but am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭whackball

just got myself a nice 2 slot consolised MVS system today (for a nice price)

Guess I will have to sell my AES now. Anyone any idea of what its worth?

AES with 1 controller
    4 AES cart in boxes.

Any help is appreciated.

whackball

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Well, I have a NeoGeo MVS, no need for the NeoGeo CD anymore!
    And now it's gone, and I am going to use the money to help Santa Claus bring my son a nice new DS lite to replace his crumbling DS Phat.
    That's a good use of the few bob I reckon.
    I hope that Stoner gets plenty of use out of the old girl, plenty to play anyhow!

Well it's coming up to that time of year, paddies returning home for christmas, I've pleanty of 2d fighters now added. The kit was well kept CiDeRmAn thank's, and your collection is fantastic, I can't think of a better use for an attic.
    I'm now also on the road to turning MP3s into wavs,

So back to Ebay dam you CiDeRmAn, you have woken the sleeping dragon again!!!!

As for the NeoGeo being mostly for 2D fighters, well, yes, I suppose it is best known for those, but then you have Pulstar, Blazing Star, the Metal Slug series, Neo Drift Out, Super SideKicks, ShockTroopers, Puzzle Bobble, Puzzle De Pon amongst others.
    And because there isn't a massive volume of such titles, it's perfectly possible to aspire to owning most of what you have ever wanted, once you don't mind paying for it.
    Not to mention the relative affordability of MVS over AES, despite them being broadly the same games.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

whackball wrote: »
    just got myself a nice 2 slot consolised MVS system today (for a nice price)

Guess I will have to sell my AES now. Anyone any idea of what its worth?

AES with 1 controller
    4 AES cart in boxes.

Any help is appreciated.

whackball

Is it a European or Japanese/American model? The Japanese one is most desireable after as it has no censorship & full 60hz speed.

Also what are the games?

Advertisement