Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

neo geo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Just came across a good bootleg guide some folk might be interested in. Even shows examples of which chips SNK used in their carts -

http://www.loopyeddie.com/bootleg.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

o1s1n wrote: »

Now the opposite has happened. MVS carts are dirt cheap in comparison to AES. You can get some AES for a decent price, but stuff like Metal Slug range from 250 -2000 per cart.

So the cheapest option is to get a 1 slot MVS mother board, supergun and play MVS carts. Or buy an AES console and an MVS adapter.

Up to 2,000 Euro for metal slug??????? You can get all the metal slug games for the Wii for less than twenty quid.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Xluna wrote: »
    Up to 2,000 Euro for metal slug??????? You can get all the metal slug games for the Wii for less than twenty quid.:confused:

Hee hee, he's got you there, boys. Why are you spending 2k for a game, when you could buy it for 100 times less, and it's the exact same. madness!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

Ah it's all about owning the origanal carts isn't it?

Actually, a friend of mine left a Neo Geo with me about three years ago. It's up in the girlfriends attic so I may dig it out and see what's there. It's not a console, just like a pcb board (MVS?)

Master of the Universe

I wouldn't dare spend 2000 on one game. That's crazyness. Nobody here is. That's reserved for the loons over on neo-geo.com.

40 on average for an original Neo Geo MVS cart (That's the arcade hardware, not the home console) on the other hand is far from unreasonable. It's also far more satisfying owning the original game.

I also dispise the idea of paying for downloads. Now THAT's a waste of money. My MVS Metal Slug will still be worth 40 euro in a few years. Actually, it'll be worth more. Your Wii download on the other hand is just dead money.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

atariman wrote: »
    Ah it's all about owning the origanal carts isn't it?

Actually, a friend of mine left a Neo Geo with me about three years ago. It's up in the girlfriends attic so I may dig it out and see what's there. It's not a console, just like a pcb board (MVS?)

If it's just a PCB then it's MVS yeah. Any games with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

I wouldn't dare spend 2000 on one game. That's crazyness. Nobody here is. That's reserved for the loons over on neo-geo.com.

40 on average for an original Neo Geo MVS cart (That's the arcade hardware, not the home console) on the other hand is far from unreasonable. It's also far more satisfying owning the original game.

I also dispise the idea of paying for downloads. Now THAT's a waste of money. My MVS Metal Slug will still be worth 40 euro in a few years. Actually, it'll be worth more. Your Wii download on the other hand is just dead money.

I'm not talking about the Wii download, I'm referring to Metal slug anthology,in disc form. Yeah it is crap that downloaded games have no value,but it saves a hell of a lot of space around the house.

Master of the Universe

Ah right, the Metal Slug Anthology. I have that for the PSP. Great for a bit of Slug on the go.

I suppose if you're happy with that then that's great. I'm not though. My hobby is playing games on their original hardware. Playing a rerelease on another system really doesn't do it for me. (And I would imagine seeing from the collections in here many other people feel the same)

If you want to go one further, sure you can play all the Metal Slug games on your pc via an emulator. Which makes the Wii/ps2/psp anthology fairly redundant anyway!

As for saving space..well..when you collect games, the more space taken up, the better. As that means your collection is bigger lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

If it's just a PCB then it's MVS yeah. Any games with it?

Yea definitely one of the Metal Slugs, some sort of volleyball game, I think there are two or three more, might just have to get it down tonight and have a looksee!
    Two of the controllers, and plugs to the tv.

Master of the Universe

Vollyball? No vollyball games for the NeoGeo...maybe it's dodgeball? You better hope it is, as that's one of the rarer MVS titles ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

Vollyball? No vollyball games for the NeoGeo...

Might be Power Spikes 2.

Master of the Universe

polyfusion wrote: »
    Might be Power Spikes 2.

Oh jesus you're right. I'd forgotten about that game. Probably because it's so damn awful. It's actually worse than Legend of Success Joe, something I didn't think was possible!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,113 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Xluna wrote: »
    I'm not talking about the Wii download, I'm referring to Metal slug anthology,in disc form. Yeah it is crap that downloaded games have no value,but it saves a hell of a lot of space around the house.

I'd rather have the original than shake the wiimote everytime I want to throw a grenade. They really made a balls of that anthology.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played my MVS Metal Slug X the other day for the first time in ages, after reading this thread, WOW!
    It's brilliant!
    I must pick up some more of them.
    I have the Wii anthology, a version or two for some of the other consoles, but none of them feel quite right.
    The two NeoGeo Color editions are pretty good though!

How many in the Metal Slug series are available on the MVS format? All of them?
    And what sort of prices do they run?
    I can hit up my Kris Kindle this Xmas for it!

Master of the Universe

Metal Slug
    Metal Slug 2
    Metal Slug X
    Metal Slug 3
    Metal Slug 4
    Metal Slug 5

Metal Slug 6 is for the Atomiswave. If you see Metal Slug 6 MVS it's actually a boot copy of 3 with a few things changed around.

There is no real set price to be honest. Most of them very quite a bit. Depends where you're buying them.

Fortunately all mine were on the lower end of the price scale. But it has taken me a year and a half of hard graft to get them all for that.

3,4,5 are the most expensive. I managed to get 3 for less than I had originally thought. Only paid 35 euro. Just because it came from Mexico. If it sells on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk it'll usually go for around 80-90. (Whenever it rarely appears)

Got Metal Slug 4 on ebay australia for about 40 Euro. Again, it usually sells for a lot more thna that.

The only one I need now is Metal Slug 5. Cheapest I've seen it is a copy currently on ebay.fr for 56 euro. Reckon I can do better.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

just got my aes today,its slighty smaller than neo geo cd,cartridges are about the size of nes so is the controller,body is made of plastic,awesome machine,the cart cases are like a big book aswell,wont be useing stepdown converter for much longer*as i am the sort that would plug it in without it, without thinking someday* because,according to this site,console goods the uk/euro supply will work on the aes that have use PRO-POW 3' or 'PRO-POW E' underneath on the label,can be bought here at this site*go to neo geo section

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

Master of the Universe

Fred83 wrote: »
    wont be useing stepdown converter for much longer*as i am the sort that would plug it in without it, without thinking someday* because,according to this site,console goods the uk/euro supply will work on the aes that have use PRO-POW 3' or 'PRO-POW E' underneath on the label,can be bought here at this site*go to neo geo section

http://www.consolegoods.co.uk/

That plug says nothing about using it in a machine that accepts a lower voltage.

All the power supplies on that page are made for European 230V mains. If your Neogeo is from America/Japan it's made for 110V mains and will more than likely blow something if you don't use a step down.

That's why they have step down transformers lower on the page.

USE A STEP DOWN!!!

(Hopes you read this before you blow something! :eek:)

didnt purchase it yet,my neo geo cd runs on a european power supply*output varies on that power supply from the same page*:confused:

Master of the Universe

What region are the NeoCD and AES?

both are jap

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

All the NeoCD PSUs state that they can work on a console from any region on that page.

The AES ones don't though.

Hmm. Odd! If I were you I'd do a bit of research and be 100% certain before plugging anything in. Don't want to ruin such a beautiful console.

Will stick with a step down myself for the moment!

i know the feeling mate,i was doing some googleing and some very basic electric knowledge i have,there where suggestions from some pages to use megadrive psu's,but looking at their output ratings from the md psu and the neo geo offical psu it doesnt match up,so looks like the stepdown it is*shame* lol

Master of the Universe

I was just reading that about the Megadrive PSU over on the Neo-geo forums. :D

Seems there are also two different set ups for AES consoles. Some take a higher voltage.

Ah step downs aren't too bad I guess. They're smaller than they used to be. I had one for an imported Sega Genesis that was feckin huge.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,565 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I just got a euro PSU for my NeoGeo CD, and it works a treat.
    The MVS just uses a local ATX PC psu so no problems there at all.

was looking around my house for power adaptors,my 32x one gives out 9vs and one from an old phone gives out 9vs too,they take in 230vs,but output 9v,just have to match the amps to be ok,came across an intresting article,seems postive,but im hesistant to try it!

source- http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156711

taken from thread-
    There isn't an internal powersupply in the NEO GEO so just go buy a 240V AC adapter that outputs close to the DC voltages and amperage that the original powersupply needs. You can get cheap ones from your local Tandy or Dick Smiths store.
    Really the Neo Geo can accept up to like 40V on that connector so +/- 1 volt won't do it any harm,Just make sure you take note of what the AES needs. The older ones take a 5V 3A adapter, while the newer models require a 9V 3A adapter

update-it does work since most of our goods are fitted with stepdown converters*yes them transformers you get with your goods lol*,anyways my speccy psu matched the output requirements in voltage+ampage,so i can do it without the stepdown*anyone else intrested check the psu rating as according to neo forums some older models need 5v,or dont try it at all if your sceptic!*

Master of the Universe

Good luck ;)

Let us know how you get on!

reminded me back in the day when people where using A500 psu's on their A1200,have to be careful,with all these fecking ac/dcs/ampage/polarity things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭cynos

Fred83 wrote: »
    reminded me back in the day when people where using A500 psu's on their A1200,have to be careful,with all these fecking ac/dcs/ampage/polarity things
    Dony mind ampage, once your device gets its amount
    if it says 500ma on you device you can plug in one 1500000000amps, your device will only use whats needed\\
    voltage and polarity are the thing too make sure of

• Advertisement

As I said before, during my time with Gamesworld I saw two N64's and a DC getting fried due to idiots who don't know the difference between a stepdown and a travel adaptor!
    I may love the smell of napalm in the morning but the smell of fried PCB moves me to tears!

Advertisement