Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ/TG4 win Magners League rights

Options
12346»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Answer then would be to get a Freesat box and plug it in just to watch the rugby!

You also need a satellite dish. And you can't have one of them of you live in an apartment block and/or have a restrictive covenant preventing you from having one.

UPC won't block any content unless a broadcaster (either the broadcaster themselves or the Irish rights holder) insists on it. For example, Aviva Premiership Rugby is blocked on ITV4 but not on UTV, even though the UTV programme is an identical repeat of the ITV4 one. I am guessing (from the EPG data) that it is ITV plc that is itself requesting that it be blocked, but that UTV plc is not doing the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

icdg wrote: »
    You also need a satellite dish. And you can't have one of them of you live in an apartment block and/or have a restrictive covenant preventing you from having one.

UPC won't block any content unless a broadcaster (either the broadcaster themselves or the Irish rights holder) insists on it. For example, Aviva Premiership Rugby is blocked on ITV4 but not on UTV, even though the UTV programme is an identical repeat of the ITV4 one. I am guessing (from the EPG data) that it is ITV plc that is itself requesting that it be blocked, but that UTV plc is not doing the same.

You could get a high gain aerial (with masthead amp) and point it northwards for Freeview from Divis or eastwards for Freeview from Wales. Posts on other threads suggest that this is possible in parts of the eastern seabooard and in certain parts of Dublin though I guess it's very much hit and miss.
    Interesting anomaly re Premiership rugby. Only problem is that the UTV repeat is at an unearthly hour.

Glasgow vs Leinster blanked out on RTE in NI for those with Sky Digital presumably due to BBC Alba having UK rights. No real problem as BBC Alba available FTA. Hope Munster vs Aironi not blanked out tonight but as its in Ireland I presume it won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Glasgow vs Leinster blanked out on RTE in NI for those with Sky Digital presumably due to BBC Alba having UK rights. No real problem as BBC Alba available FTA. Hope Munster vs Aironi not blanked out tonight but as its in Ireland I presume it won't be.

well it's not on any of the UK channels so you'd think it won't be, just hope RTE actually stop the clock in their coverage tonight, unlike last night.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

An Tarbh wrote: »
    just hope RTE actually stop the clock in their coverage tonight, unlike last night.

I think you'll find there will be issues with this on all the away games. Home games should be ok.

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote: »
    I think you'll find there will be issues with this on all the away games. Home games should be ok.

No real problem for matches in rest of UK as BBC Alba/BBC2W/S4C are all available FTA on satellite. Only difficulty is the language barrier. Why was this match clear on Virgin Media in NI? (another post on another thread points this out).

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

No real problem for matches in rest of UK as BBC Alba/BBC2W/S4C are all available FTA on satellite. Only difficulty is the language barrier. Why was this match clear on Virgin Media in NI? (another post on another thread points this out).

:confused: I was responding to the poster re the stop/start clock not being available on coverage last night, edited my post to make that absolutely clear.

Munster vs Aironi blanked out here in NI via Sky. Presume Connacht vs Dragons on TG4 'in the clear' due to Irish language rights for the whole of the island

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Munster vs Aironi blanked out here in NI via Sky. Presume Connacht vs Dragons on TG4 'in the clear' due to Irish language rights for the whole of the island

That's odd about Munster v Aironi as no UK broadcaster was covering it, and it should have been available online?

Meanwhile, Connacht v Dragons wasn't available online even in ROI. Strange.

Re the clock, it didn't seem to run correctly during the Leinster game, it continued counting even during stoppages. This wasn't a problem during the Munster game for which RTÉ was host broadcater though where the clock behaved exactly as it should.

icdg wrote: »
    That's odd about Munster v Aironi as no UK broadcaster was covering it, and it should have been available online?

Meanwhile, Connacht v Dragons wasn't available online even in ROI. Strange.

Agree re Munster game. This will make some viewers here in NI who can only access RTE via satellite very annoyed. Wonder will some resubscribe to Setanta in order to see delayed coverage of games blanked out?! Strange that Virgin did not blank out the Leinster game. Wonder will TG4's coverage of Edinburgh vs Munster be blanked out as BBC Alba hold UK rights?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Agree re Munster game. This will make some viewers here in NI who can only access RTE via satellite very annoyed.

It's obvious that RTÉ don't hold the rights to show the Magners League in Northern Ireland. They will have to get over their annoyance. RTÉ in Northern Ireland is still a broadcaster from another state.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    It's obvious that RTÉ don't hold the rights to show the Magners League in Northern Ireland. They will have to get over their annoyance. RTÉ in Northern Ireland is still a broadcaster from another state.

I take your point but I'm almost certain that some of RTE's coverage of the HC was not blanked out here in NI last season via satellite and RTE do not hold rights to show HC in NI - Sky have UK rights. Also why were both live matches on RTE via Virgin 'in the clear' here in NI? Also raises the issue - BBC do not hold rights to show ML in ROI yet their matches are freely available on satellite there. Don't think there's a level playing field in terms of TV coverage in both jurisdictions.

Also why were both live matches on RTE via Virgin 'in the clear' here in NI? Also raises the issue - BBC do not hold rights to show ML in ROI yet their matches are freely available on satellite there. Don't think there's a level playing field in terms of TV coverage in both jurisdictions.

Why are some Channel 4 programmes blocked on Sky in Ireland but not cable? Same thing but the other way around.

How can the BBC block programmes to just this country if it is FTA. Maybe the BBC should transmit a caption advising viewers to switch to terrestrial or cable.

Somebody in Northern Ireland thinking there is not a level playing field on satellite amuses me. How are you enjoying the extra channels on your EPG?

Why are some Channel 4 programmes blocked on Sky in Ireland but not cable? Same thing but the other way around.

How can the BBC block programmes to just this country if it is FTA. Maybe the BBC should transmit a caption advising viewers to switch to terrestrial or cable.

Somebody in Northern Ireland thinking there is not a level playing field on satellite amuses me. How are you enjoying the extra channels on your EPG?

Point I was making was that there is not a level playing field when it comes to coverage of the ML. I recognise BBC can't be blocked as its FTA but at present viewers in ROI can see all ML coverage in these islands via satellite and viewers in NI can't.

RTE have just replied to e mail from an annoyed viewer on another forum see http://www.uafc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11521&start=75 (3rd post down) and confirmed that all matches on RTE will be available from this weekend in NI via Satellite. There was a contractual query last week and this has now been cleared up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Point I was making was that there is not a level playing field when it comes to coverage of the ML. I recognise BBC can't be blocked as its FTA but at present viewers in ROI can see all ML coverage in these islands via satellite and viewers in NI can't.

In general terms RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 don't have it as easy as BBC NI, UTV and C4 in terms of rights going into NI.

For years RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 have had UTV and C4 take advertising from ROI yet they kick up a fuss about a tiny part of UK when RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 broadcast the same shows and matches into that part of the country. You can get UTV via Satellite you should be able to get TV3 in NI. IMO. I beleive the perfered option would still remain with local variants ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

BBC Alba/BBC2W/S4C are all available FTA on satellite.

how do you go about "tuning" in the frequency for these channels on the sky box?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

S4C is already on your EPG. Channel 134

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭damo80

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

S4C is already on your EPG. Channel 134

cheers mate thanks for that

Good news that RTE's match was 'in the clear' on satellite here in NI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement