Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ/TG4 win Magners League rights

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Terrestrial viewers too have an improvement - their going from zero coverage to two live matches a week.

Cable viewers are losing the most - they will be going from 5 games to 3 (one of which will be in Irish). On interprovincial weekends this will be down to 2 games live as Ulster will be playing on two channels.

Not all matches aired on Setanta Ireland some aired on Setanta Sports 1 which is only available on subscription.

In relation to language didn't we already point out that people still watch regardless of the commentaries language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Elmo wrote: »
    Not all matches aired on Setanta Ireland some aired on Setanta Sports 1 which is only available on subscription.

In relation to language didn't we already point out that people still watch regardless of the commentaries language.

http://www.tg4.ie/bearla/corp/pr/2010/0609-1.asp

- NEWS RELEASE - 09.06.2010 - 1 -

TG4 TO SHARE MAGNER'S LEAGUE RIGHTS 2010-2013
    TG4 is pleased to announce that it has secured a joint share of the exclusive television rights packages for the Magner's League that will see extensive live coverage of this exciting competition returning to free to air television for four years from the start of the new season this coming August.

The Irish language channel will jointly share the tv rights' package with RTÉ and BBC Northern Ireland as well as other public service broadcasters in Wales and Scotland. This will give TG4 exclusive live tv rights in Ireland for some of the top Magner's League fixtures as part of the comprehensive television coverage of the forthcoming rugby season's first major club competition. The Irish provinces will be trying to erase the bad memories of the final stages of last season's performances in club competitions and they will seeking to re-establish the former Irish dominance of this competition. Individual players will also want to use the Magner's League to impress Declan Kidney and his support coaches in the run-up to the Autumn Internationals in preparation for the 6 Nations Championship and the 2011 World Cup.

Welcoming the announcement, TG4 Ardstiúrthóir Pól Ó Gallchóir, said the channel had pioneered television coverage of the original Celtic League and was delighted to be partnering RTÉ and other public service broadcasters in the new four year deal. "Magner's League has evolved into a major club competition and the participation of Welsh and Scottish clubs makes it a very natural choice for the TG4 programme schedule," he said. "We are very proud to have secured these rights and look forward to bringing top class rugby to the TG4 screens for the 22 weekends of the competition."

League Fixtures and the television broadcast schedule for the opening phase of the League are being finalised over the coming weeks and will be announced shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Personally I think it's better for Rugby in Ireland in the long run. With all the hulabaloo over the free to air, I think this would be a good settlement. Allow the Heineken Cup to stay on Sky and use this as the best advertisement for rugby in Ireland.

I happen to have all the channels through a combination of Freesat and Sky so I reckon I'm sorted for most of the games. I've also no problem watching it in Irish too.

I actually hated the Setanta coverage as time went on: poor graphics, horrible studio, bad commentating and of course the big no no for me was putting all the major games involving Irish teams on Setanta 1 while giving us Glasgow v Dragons on Setanta Ireland. I know they wanted to get people to subscribe but it went way too far last season. I decided to go to the games rather then give a very poor standard of channel, my hard earned money. I also agree with some posters here in that it's probably the death kneel for them. I know I don't care for anything else they have on their set up. Aussie Rugby League? They don't even have the State of Origin games so what's the use?

So overall, I'm happy and looking forward to S4C, BBC Alba, BBC NI, BBC Wales, RTE & TG4 blasting rugby onto my TV.

And with the Italian teams in it as well, it should make for good rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

Northern Ireland, and BBC Alba. Obviously there will be exceptions, Italian derbies, games involving Connacht and Italian teams, games involving one of the two Scottish teams and Italian teams, but overall coverage should be well improved on the platform.

Who has the Italian TV rights I wonder?

KenSwee wrote: »
    Northern Ireland, and BBC Alba. Obviously there will be exceptions, Italian derbies, games involving Connacht and Italian teams, games involving one of the two Scottish teams and Italian teams, but overall coverage should be well improved on the platform.

the fixtures come out by the end of july 2010

we will find out how to plan a fta magners league rugby tv coverage weekend from september 2010

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

KenSwee wrote: »

Not sure if they have even been sold. However given RAI and Mediaset's lack of interest in rugby, I'd almost certainly say Sky Italia will pick them up for a song, if they haven't already - they already have both the 6 Nations and Heineken Cup rights for Italy.

TG4 are advertising 25 games, that might be for the 3 years?. Setanta seem to have highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RAKM

I would say tha TG4 will be showing that many games each season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

RAKM wrote: »
    I would say tha TG4 will be showing that many games each season

TG4 are saying so too. You are both in agreement.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    TG4 are saying so too. You are both in agreement.

it looks like from today's sunday times, setanta sports daire o'brien is leaving to join rtetv and setanta's the sport show has been axed

I could see setanta's 3pm premiership been take over by tv3 or rte2 in a fta tv world or espn could take the rights into subscription part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

ftakeith wrote: »
    it looks like from today's sunday times, setanta sports daire o'brien is leaving to join rtetv and setanta's the sport show has been axed

I could see setanta's 3pm premiership been take over by tv3 or rte2 in a fta tv world or espn could take the rights into subscription part

forgive my scepticism but where exactly in the Sunday Times was this?

ftakeith wrote: »

I could see them axing The Sports Show and that Daire O'Brien moves to RTÉ.

I could see them being part of the basic Sky package long before giving the 3pm premiership to their competitors.

Looked through the Sunday Times could not find that article you are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

An Tarbh wrote: »
    forgive my scepticism but where exactly in the Sunday Times was this?

couldnt find it in the sunday times either.... are you sure it wasnt another paper? I am sure McGurk et all would baulk at the thought of him presenting the magners league grand final? maybe its only for certain matches that mcgurk cant cover.

TG4 are advertising 25 games, that might be for the 3 years?. Setanta seem to have highlights.

There are 11 home and 11 away games for each team, along with two play off rounds. That means there are 24 gameweeks, so TG4 could easily be showing 25 games a season.

Over on RTÉ, I can't see McGuirk, Pope, Hook, and O'Shea being wheeled out for every gameweek, if they did, they would be on the TV every weekend between September and May which is a lot heavier schedule than at present! Likely O'Brien might do some of the league games, maybe with some of the Setanta panelists also making the move with the "first team" making an appearance for the likes of the interprovincials and the play-offs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Over on RTÉ, I can't see McGuirk, Pope, Hook, and O'Shea being wheeled out for every gameweek, if they did, they would be on the TV every weekend between September and May which is a lot heavier schedule than at present! Likely O'Brien might do some of the league games, maybe with some of the Setanta panelists also making the move with the "first team" making an appearance for the likes of the interprovincials and the play-offs.

Isn't Hookie a bit busy with sky at the moment, making love to a piece of technology?

Isn't Hookie a bit busy with sky at the moment, making love to a piece of technology?

http://www.magnersleague.com/news/5535.php

no more setanta

some great games fta at the start, 5 possible predicted great games to watch fta like

ULSTER RUGBY V OSPREYS bbc2 ni or bb2wales

GLASGOW WARRIORS V LEINSTER tg4 or rte2

CARDIFF BLUES V EDINBURGH s4c

MUNSTER V AIRONI RUGBY rte2 or tg4

CONNACHT RUGBY V NEWPORT GWENT DRAGONS s4c

I would say the Ulster v Ospreys game will be on both BBC2 NI and BBC2 Wales. Ceefax NI p394 said it will be on the friday and they will show it live, so easy access for BBC2 Wales.
    I would agree that Cardiff v Edinburgh is likely to be on S4C.
    BBC Alba are only showing 8 games played in Scotland, 2 of which are the derby games, so unless this is one of the other 6 and it could well be as Leinster must be a reasonably big game, there is a chance that this will not be shown at all. In which case Munster v Aironi and Connacht v Dragons are likely to be the ones on rte and tg4 as they are being played in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I would say the Ulster v Ospreys game will be on both BBC2 NI and BBC2 Wales. Ceefax NI p394 said it will be on the friday and they will show it live, so easy access for BBC2 Wales.
    I would agree that Cardiff v Edinburgh is likely to be on S4C.
    BBC Alba are only showing 8 games played in Scotland, 2 of which are the derby games, so unless this is one of the other 6 and it could well be as Leinster must be a reasonably big game, there is a chance that this will not be shown at all. In which case Munster v Aironi and Connacht v Dragons are likely to be the ones on rte and tg4 as they are being played in Ireland.

With BBC Alba only showing a few games it looks like Scottish viewers will yet again be shortchanged re live coverage of ML. Except for those with access to BBC2W/S4C (who covered live games in Scotland last season featuring Welsh clubs) they will have little live coverage compared to that on offer in Wales (at 2 matches live every weekend) and Ireland (up to 3 matches live on some weekends and at least 2 every weekend). Wonder will STV continue with highlights programme or is that not covered in new TV deal?

With BBC Alba only showing a few games it looks like Scottish viewers will yet again be shortchanged re live coverage of ML. Except for those with access to BBC2W/S4C (who covered live games in Scotland last season featuring Welsh clubs) they will have little live coverage compared to that on offer in Wales (at 2 matches live every weekend) and Ireland (up to 3 matches live on some weekends and at least 2 every weekend). Wonder will STV continue with highlights programme or is that not covered in new TV deal?

It is strange that none of the commercial operators thought to attach themselves to this grouping. Where is STV, UTV, TV3 and ITV Wales in relation to these live games?

It is strange that none of the commercial operators thought to attach themselves to this grouping. Where is STV, UTV, TV3 and ITV Wales in relation to these live games?

In the case of TV3 and ITV Wales, it would be terrestrial overkill for viewers if they too got rights alongside the two other broadcasters showing games in each region.

• Advertisement

In the case of TV3 and ITV Wales, it would be terrestrial overkill for viewers if they too got rights alongside the two other broadcasters showing games in each region.

Could TV3 and ITV Wales not take 10 or so of the matches which ML are offering for broadcast?

I just feel that Rugby viewers are being let down by the commercial broadcasters in each country.

Could TV3 and ITV Wales not take 10 or so of the matches which ML are offering for broadcast?

I just feel that Rugby viewers are being let down by the commercial broadcasters in each country.

How are viewers being left down if they can still see the games for free?

BBC2W/S4C have covered the ML (originally Celtic League) from the very beginning so ITV Wales has never been in the picture; UTV only briefly flirted with rugby coverage back in late 1980's and early 1990's so has shown little or no interest in recent years (in fact there is little if any live coverage of sport in NI by UTV) and with RTE/TG4 covering ML in ROI what room would that leave for TV3? Unsure if STV will continue highlights package from last season but doubt it now BBC Alba seem to have the Scottish rights.

The situation is probably not too bad in Scotland. The new contract allows each broadcaster access to the other broadcasts in other countries. So if either Glasgow or Edinburgh are playing in Wales or Ireland these games might be on BBC Alba.
    As regards ITV coverage of Rugby I remember them showing highlights of the H Cup in 1995-96 when it was a midweek competition. They had the rights for the following season AFAIK but chose not to show it dur to poor viewing figures.

The situation is probably not too bad in Scotland. The new contract allows each broadcaster access to the other broadcasts in other countries. So if either Glasgow or Edinburgh are playing in Wales or Ireland these games might be on BBC Alba.
    As regards ITV coverage of Rugby I remember them showing highlights of the H Cup in 1995-96 when it was a midweek competition. They had the rights for the following season AFAIK but chose not to show it dur to poor viewing figures.

Hope for sake of Scottish viewers you're right about BBC Alba coverage as I think they have been shortchanged over the last season or two. Even STV's ML highlights programme wasn't shown in the Borders last season!
    You're absolutely right about ITV and HC. They signed a 3 year deal to cover the competition from its outset (1995-6) and showed the first final live as well as the Leinster vs Cardiff semi-final. UTV showed highlights in the first season of the competition of Cardiff vs Ulster pool match and Ulster vs Begles- Bordeaux (only about 800 spectators watched this game at Ravenhill!) However ITV pulled the plug just days before the second season as they were frustrated that the organisers had not kept them fully briefed about the scheduling of games (Source - Rothmans Rugby Yearbook 1997-8). Strangely enough I can remember coverage on ITV of the Leicester vs Llanelli pool match that second season so some agreement must have been reached to show individual games. However the BBC stepped in at the latter stages and showed the final (Leicester vs Brive) live from Cardiff. The following season (1997-8) Sky showed Brive vs Bath final live and then it was BBC (limited coverage in 1998/9 as no English teams took part) until 2003/4 season when Sky took over and have had live UK rights since.

They might actually form a lot of their coverage, as its cheap for them to pick up (particularly the BBC Wales covered games as all they have to do is simulcast BBC Two Wales). The problem is that BBC Alba is not on cable even in Scotland, though I'm not sure what cable's penetration in Scotland is at present - cable penetration in the UK as a whole was always a lot lower than it is here.

As for ITV, it holds highlights rights for what is now called Aviva Premiership Rugby (the English top flight formerly known as the Guinness Premiership) and the full UK rights to the Rugby World Cup.

Setanta are the Rugby World Cup holders here but because Ireland games are part of the Crown Jewels list, Setanta had to sell on the live rights to Ireland games. TV3 obtained live rights to these (and some knockout stage games) which IIRC is the only live rugby the channel has showed in its entire existance. The Magners League would pose a problem for TV3 as a large chunk of Magners League games are Friday and Saturday evening kick-offs which would interfere with TV3's strategy of broadcasting huge chunks of ITV's weekend primetime lineup.

They might actually form a lot of their coverage, as its cheap for them to pick up (particularly the BBC Wales covered games as all they have to do is simulcast BBC Two Wales). The problem is that BBC Alba is not on cable even in Scotland, though I'm not sure what cable's penetration in Scotland is at present - cable penetration in the UK as a whole was always a lot lower than it is here.

As for ITV, it holds highlights rights for what is now called Aviva Premiership Rugby (the English top flight formerly known as the Guinness Premiership) and the full UK rights to the Rugby World Cup.

ITV have no real history of covering live club rugby in UK. AFAIK even their highlights coverage of English Premiership is provided by Sky's cameras. This information came from someone who works for ITV. Apart from RWC and 7's they have shown little interest in showing live rugby.

ITV have no real history of covering live club rugby in UK. AFAIK even their highlights coverage of English Premiership is provided by Sky's cameras. This information came from someone who works for ITV. Apart from RWC and 7's they have shown little interest in showing live rugby.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jul/28/itv-rugby-world-cup

another reason for the end of setanta, its fta on satellite

What has that got to do with the Magners League?

If you're follwing this thread carefully you'll see it has to do with different TV channels covering the ML and possibility of Setanta showing some matches and whether ITV were interested in showing any. As with most threads posters (myself included) sometimes stray from original topic but no harm done surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

When would we expect RTE announce the lineup of pundits commentators times etc... and will Setanta have a weekly highlights show or full deferred coverage of a match?

Advertisement