Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ/TG4 win Magners League rights

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    That article reads like everyone has Setanta. It is a load of nonsense and I am happy that RTÉ and TG4 have the rights.

RTÉ have bought the rights to the Magners League so they can get the World Cup says the journalist. I didn't think the Independent were ones for conspiracy theories.

Perhaps not as far fetched, since losing the Magners' League is essentially game over for Setanta. November will illustrate this fully, there is an international window at the same time for both rugby and football during the month and the Formula One season is over. There will be very little live sport for Setanta to show during this period (although they are covering some Italy rugby home games, which is literally scrapping the bottom of the barrell...)

This basically shows how unlikely Setanta are to survive as a pay-TV proposition next season. Even if they retain what little football they have left, and the F1 rights, I cannot see what else they have for most of the year to keep the channel viable, unless they pick up some foreign football rights cheapily (does anyone have French league rights at the moment? Some of the South American or African leagues perhaps?) Even that might not be enough to drum up some interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

We don't know what the Business plan for Setanta Sports Ireland is. They could easily go for European, African, American, Asian and Australian Sports rather than the usual Irish and British sports. If they do this they may be looking at cheaper rights for such games due to the lack of poplarity for such sports in this country. This could bring Setanta right back to their begins providing Ex-pats with their sporting events in Ireland, which seems to be their propersition around the world.

Remember Setanta aren't just Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1, they are an international brand.

http://www.setanta.com/ca/
    http://www.setanta.com/africa/
    http://www.setanta.com/au/
    http://www.setanta.com/us/

The lose of key games for the survival of Setanta Sports may not be all that important to them if they can provide niche sports to other nationalities living in Ireland, remember pay TV is mainly interested in subscriptions not advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith99

Elmo wrote: »
    We don't know what the Business plan for Setanta Sports Ireland is. They could easily go for European, African, American, Asian and Australian Sports rather than the usual Irish and British sports. If they do this they may be looking at cheaper rights for such games due to the lack of poplarity for such sports in this country. This could bring Setanta right back to their begins providing Ex-pats with their sporting events in Ireland, which seems to be their propersition around the world.

Remember Setanta aren't just Setanta Ireland and Setanta Sports 1, they are an international brand.

http://www.setanta.com/ca/
    http://www.setanta.com/africa/
    http://www.setanta.com/au/
    http://www.setanta.com/us/

The lose of key games for the survival of Setanta Sports may not be all that important to them if they can provide niche sports to other nationalities living in Ireland, remember pay TV is mainly interested in subscriptions not advertising.

more fta rugby not on setanta

FRIDAY 13 NOVEMBER

AUTUMN RUGBY INTERNATIONALS, RTÉ Two, 7.30pm
    Tom McGurk will be joined by George Hook and Brent Pope for the second of this month's eight Autumn Rugby Internationals on RTÉ Television as France take on Tri-Nations champions South Africa. The match kicks off at 7.45pm from Toulouse with commentary by Ryle Nugent and Frankie Sheehan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭keith99

keith99 wrote: »

FRIDAY 13 NOVEMBER

Tom McGurk will be joined by George Hook and Brent Pope for the second of this month's eight Autumn Rugby Internationals on RTÉ Television as France take on Tri-Nations champions South Africa. The match kicks off at 7.45pm from Toulouse with commentary by Ryle Nugent and Frankie Sheehan.

List of fixtures to be broadcast on RTÉ Two television and RTÉ.ie (Island of Ireland)

Wales v New Zealand:
    Saturday, 7 November - 5.00pm

Frances v South Africa:
    Friday, 13 November - 7.30pm

Scotland v Fiji:
    Saturday 14 November - 2.10pm

Ireland v Australia:
    Sunday, 15 November- 2.30pm

Wales v Argentina:
    Ireland v Fiji:
    Saturday, 21 November - 2.00pm

Ireland v South Africa:
    Saturday, 28 November - 2.00pm

France v New Zealand:
    Saturday 28 November - 7.15pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That's interesting but this thread is about the Magners League.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

What's better, paying to watch or not getting it at all?

I don't get the question ? It'll be on either RTE or TG4, so everyone can get it; and it's a step towards making the TV licence worthwhile again.

It's far too easy for Setanta and Sky to outbid, based on the fact that people have to pay extra......and while I'm against monopolies, having to pay both Sky and Setanta if you wanted to see a good few matches was crazy!

It's great news, IMHO..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/rte-plays-hardball-in-rights-war-1930465.html

more today in the indo.... a very anti rte article and more of a whinge that you would think tv3 would write..... why shouldnt they use some of my 160euro a year to provide me with magners league...

Bull**** article!
    RTE will be using its state-subsidised muscle to buy something it does not need and cannot cover properly, at a rate that a commercial broadcaster cannot match, with money that it does not have, so that it can extract a deal that prevents another commercial broadcaster from competing for valuable sports rights

Setanta only got it in the first place by outbidding RTE based on their hope for extra subscriptions, ffs! :rolleyes:

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I don't get the question ? It'll be on either RTE or TG4, so everyone can get it; and it's a step towards making the TV licence worthwhile again.

Was the Celtic league ever on RTÉ.

Setanta only got it in the first place by outbidding RTE based on their hope for extra subscriptions, ffs!

You will note that most in the Press are in love with TV3 and Setanta, often forgetting what they aren't doing and using allot of stats and figures provided by them to make RTÉ look bad. This has been the case for the last 2 months.

Also Setanta outbid TG4 not RTÉ.

Was the Celtic league ever on RTÉ.

No. Only TG4.

keith99 wrote: »

FRIDAY 13 NOVEMBER

Can't see the relevance of this to the thread, to be honest - can we concentrate on the Magners League, please...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Bull**** article!

No, that article was right! RTE is trying to close the competition down and using the license fee to do it. It is simply uncompetitive.

Koloman wrote: »
    No, that article was right! RTE is trying to close the competition down and using the license fee to do it. It is simply uncompetitive.

Rubbish. Going by this theory RTÉ can never ever purchase any sporting rights previously held by another broadcaster.

They must believe that they can make a profit out of this. They aren't what you would call flush with cash atm so I seriously doubt that they are paying over the odds so they can shut Setanta Sports down.

The article suggested that TV3 bid for these rights, I can't imagine TV3 being in a position to want these rights. TV3 IMO from their point of view have enough sporting rights. However I would question why RTÉ are interested in the rights. IMO if the rights holders wanted 2 channels for content they should have gone with Setanta and TG4 the only people who have ever really been interested in the League.

Anyway I have only heard speculation so far that either RTÉ or TV3 approached the rights holders.

Rubbish. Going by this theory RTÉ can never ever purchase any sporting rights previously held by another broadcaster.

They must believe that they can make a profit out of this. They aren't what you would call flush with cash atm so I seriously doubt that they are paying over the odds so they can shut Setanta Sports down.

Why should RTE waste money on these rights if TV3 or Setanta are willing to do it without using public money?

Why should RTE waste money on these rights if TV3 or Setanta are willing to do it without using public money?

It is hearsay that TV3 even thought about these rights. It is hearsay that RTÉ has these rights, I amn't aware so far of any confirmation that this is the case.

Setanta would be using public money since anyone watching Setanta pays for that privilege.

Also The Celtic/Magners League is a very much minority league/sport, why do you think TG4 had the rights for so many years?

RTÉ are in the business of making money. They bought these rights with the intention of making more money from advertising than what they paid for them. Why would they back away to leave somebody else have them?

Why do they buy rights to GAA and Irish soccer matches when TV3 and Setanta can do them? Why bother with anything at all?

Setanta would be using public money since anyone watching Setanta pays for that privilege.

At least people have a choice with Setanta on whether to subscribe or not. The licence fee is mandatory to anyone with a TV. I for one resent that fact.

At least people have a choice with Setanta on whether to subscribe or not. The licence fee is mandatory to anyone with a TV. I for one resent that fact.

People have a choice to sub to UPC after that they have no choice Setanta Ireland remains a Pay TV service with part of your sub going to Setanta. We could go around splitting hairs it isn't like Setanta are the best of example of good business management in the last number of months. Something that has nothing to do with the Licence fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

If that's the case there should be no sport on RTÉ so long as one of the commercial broadcasters is willing to bid for them. That makes no sense whatsoever, if there's revenue to be made from any sporting rights then RTÉ are perfectly entitled to bid for them so long as they don't go way over the odds.

I am assuming that you do not like rugby.

• Advertisement

I am assuming that you do not like rugby.

You assume wrong!

Less of the personalised arguments please!

Sorry mods found the original post

http://www.rte.ie/about/pressreleases/2010/0517/newmdtv170510.html

As Head of TV Sport Glen Killane has been central to major rights contracts for GAA, Champions League, FAI, Six Nations, Magners League and UEFA negotiations. He has helped establish key agreements both for RTÉ and for the EBU (European Broadcasting Union) on a multi-platform basis

That in no way confirms that RTÉ have the rights for next season or what the situation is. There simply hasn't been an announcement from Celtic Rugby about next years Irish rights, for reasons we know not.

Deals with BBC Wales and S4C are in place until 2014....

http://www.magnersleague.com/news/3996.php

But the Setanta and STV deals are only in place until the end of this season (29th May) and Celtic Rugby has yet to make an announcement regarding either market.

They'd want to get their skates on. Maybe Setanta will say something at the end of their coverage of the Grand Final on 29th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

the only think i can think of thats holding it up is that setanta have come back to celtic rugby offering to match the rte/tg4 bid (having not realised that rte/tg4 were even interested in it) or celtic rugby are trying to work out someway of giving something to setanta similar to the gaa where although setanta dont have live rights they show every match in full during the week.

icdg wrote: »
    That in no way confirms that RTÉ have the rights for next season or what the situation is. There simply hasn't been an announcement from Celtic Rugby about next years Irish rights, for reasons we know not.

But why would you put on your CV "major rights contracts for Magners League negotiations" if it wasn't successful :confused:

I don't see why Setanta Wouldn't realize that TG4 were interested in the games after all TG4 were the first to show Celtic League.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Since Bill McLaren sadly passed away the best live Rugby Commentator in all of Britain and Ireland is Seán Bán Breathnach on RnaG and the higher the tempo the better. If TG4 can get him their coverage would be excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

Setanta have an ad saying that they will have the best of the magners league for the next season. Maybe rte for some of the Irish games and setanta will show the rest. Hopefully.

Saw the same advert. I can't see Celtic Rugby letting Setanta get away with airing adverts saying they will be covering the Magners League next season, if in fact they were not covering the Magners League next season!

However, if RTÉ/TG4 have indeed got rights, it may be that their coverage may be shared with Setanta. One scenario, for example, might have RTÉ and TG4 having live rights and Setanta having highlights (the "best of" sounds like a clue). Or, RTÉ and TG4 are rumoured to be covering one game each. No prizes for guess which teams will feature in those matches (clue, it won't be Connacht and Ulster). So RTÉ could show a Leinster game, TG4 a Munster game, and Setanta would still have four other games it could screen over a weekend, which would keep its coverage at nearly the same level it is now (just one less game).

Well theres only one game left in the Magners' League this season. Maybe post Saturday night, we'll learn something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RAKM

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/sos-sports-columnists/Iain-Morrison-BBC-Alba-to.6150362.jp

If you read this article it might suggest why there has been a delay. If all this turns out to be true, all you need is a fta satellite and rabbits ears and you get a lot of the ML.

Advertisement