Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

After watching weather forecasts on accuweather (hitting F5 every 20 seconds!) for the 20 days leading up to Barcelona marathon, I can verify that predictions have absolutely no connection with reality, until approximately 48 hours before the race. Fingers crossed you get the same conditions we did, which were absolutely ideal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Obviously I dont want rain, but am hoping the weather is not hot! Would probably prefer rain to running 26.2 miles in scorching heat!

A nice overcast day would be perfect with a light breeze to keep things cool.

Just over 2 weeks to go now! How is everybody's last minute preparations going? I presume everybody is well into taper mode at this stage.

Any rugby fans among us? Munster V Northampton is on at 6.30pm Dutch time on the saturday evening. Does anybody know of a good place that would be showing the game? Somewhere preferably that serves food. Could be an idea to pass some time the evening before the race? And would provide a nice distraction from the pre-race nerves and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

04072511 wrote: »
    Just over 2 weeks to go now! How is everybody's last minute preparations going? I presume everybody is well into taper mode at this stage.

Any rugby fans among us? Munster V Northampton is on at 6.30pm Dutch time on the saturday evening. Does anybody know of a good place that would be showing the game? Somewhere preferably that serves food. Could be an idea to pass some time the evening before the race? And would provide a nice distraction from the pre-race nerves and all that jazz.

Hard to believe its only 2 weeks away, the winter really flew by! Training going fine for me, lets hope a pb (3'22) is a formality. Big munster fan so will be watching the game over there somewhere, along with the leinster game too. I looked at eredivisie matches but its only sparta rotterdam at home that weekend, feyenoord are away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Just over 2 weeks to go now! How is everybody's last minute preparations going?

Not too bad thanks. All I have to do is send in the application forms for a new passport :D Only joking.

Thanks Pug for all of the information.

Robins 15 day forcast link at the top of this page inlcudes 11th April now. I know it can't be accurate so far out but 10 degrees would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

That weather does look to be alright for us at the moment.

Does anyone know if they will have our split times appearing online live during the race, and where that might be if they do?

robinph wrote: »
    That weather does look to be alright for us at the moment.

I think its a waste of time to be looking at any weather forcasts until 2 days beforehand. Longer forcasts are almost always inaccurate and change all the time. In some cases I have seen 5 day weather forcasts from 2 different websites, one saying it would be a sunny day, the other saying terrential rain! Waste of time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Waste of time, but what else have I got to be doing at the moment, need something to think about and fret over for no genuine reason. ;)

Went to give the new shoes another few miles of a workout today, try as I might I couldn't manage to go slow though and they just seemed to insit on carrying me along faster than I actualy meant to go today. Think I'll have to leave them now until the marathon now so that they keep their eager speediness for when it's actually of more use to me.

Waste of time, but what else have I got to be doing at the moment, need something to think about and fret over for no genuine reason. ;)

I hear ya! Every little ache I'm having at this stage when I run is a cause for concern :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

2 weeks - jaysus. When I look at the training program on the wall I can't believe all that running has been completed - what a trip. Last long one yesterday - 18 miles with the first 15 at PMP and then 3 warm down.

4 mile recovery this morning and now I am officially in taper mode. Cue the fidgeting, anxiety, certainty that I'm losing all my fitness and the appearance of all sorts of niggling injuries. In order to reduce mileage I'll probably go for less running days as opposed to shorter distances.

I'm on for the Munster match - good suggestion even if a pub showing it might be hard to find.

Should we exchange mobile numbers via PM? I'll be travelling and competing solo and would welcome the opportunity to hook up. Phone numbers guarantee some sort of certainty of actually meeting each other. What do ye think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Should we exchange mobile numbers via PM? I'll be travelling and competing solo and would welcome the opportunity to hook up. Phone numbers guarantee some sort of certainty of actually meeting each other. What do ye think?

This is my first trip as a member of boards so I'm not sure how much you folks communicate with one another when away but I was also wondering if perhaps we should PM a mobile number or two around in case anyone gets delayed or lost or just generally has any problems over the weekend particularly for anyone traveling alone. I'd be happy to PM my number to anyone who might like to have a contact in case they ran into any trouble. PM me and I'll reply.

As the big day approaches I wonder if its time to start firing a few ideas into the pot for venues for meeting up. I'm going to count myself out of the Saturday evening meal cause my friend and I tend to gobble down our pastas with a view to getting back to the hotel nice and early however in relation to the Saturday afternoon I still like the look of the brasserie part of the bar I mentioned earlier, Staal, which seems to be adjacent to the expo but I would welcome other suggestions so that I cant be blamed for picking a dump! I don't want to suggest an early meet up in case it rules out late arrivals so how would 2 or 3pm sound. In relation to the Sunday drinks perhaps we might look to Pug and Pugs Sister to pick a suitably central watering hole.

http://staalrotterdam.dcportal.nl/Staal/Algemeneimpressieclip/tabid/402/Default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Training going very well, I'm in taper mode now myself went for a nice relaxing 12mile run over the weekend and that's the most I'm going to do between now and race day.

I've asked my Sister for venues that will show the match. I know she often follows rugby and she's mentioned watching Munster games in pubs before I'm pretty sure so it shouldn't be too much bother to get somewhere that's showing it.

This is me. If ya spot me in the airport or wherever, say hello or give us a nod ;)

I don't always look like that but I hope I have a similar expression crossing the line in Rotterdam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Hard to miss that shock of Irish red hair I'd imagine :D

My sister got back to me on the match front, and here's what she said...
    The only place in town showing it will be the Irish pub -Paddy Murphy’s, Rodezand 15, http://www.paddymurphys.nl/ .They have a sports bar and they support Munster as they are a Cork owned pub.They really only do sandwiches for food so not a proper feed..
    There is a small chance the other 'irish' Pub O'Sheas(http://www.osheasrotterdam.nl/ Lijnbann 37 - 39) will be showing it but they generally prefer to show Premier games and they have only 1 or 2 TV's, they do food though..

This is me. If ya spot me in the airport or wherever, say hello or give us a nod ;)

I don't always look like that but I hope I have a similar expression crossing the line in Rotterdam ;)

If we're posting some pictures, does that mean I can put my one up again, or would that be too distracting? ;)

I think I'd probably be getting to Rotterdam about 2pm'ish at a guess on the Saturday. The expo/ hotel/ train station/ start are all within a few meters though so shouldn't take too long to sort things out and pick up number and tag etc. With that Staal place just across the road it could be a god potential for afternoon meetup, or meetup before retiring to TV viewing establishment or somewhere for food.

If we're posting some pictures, does that mean I can put my one up again, or would that be too distracting? ;)

I think I'd probably be getting to Rotterdam about 2pm'ish at a guess on the Saturday. The expo/ hotel/ train station/ start are all within a few meters though so shouldn't take too long to sort things out and pick up number and tag etc. With that Staal place just across the road it could be a god potential for afternoon meetup, or meetup before retiring to TV viewing establishment or somewhere for food.

Not meaning to complicate things especially since I was the one who suggested Staal but I notice on google Earth that Paddy Murphys which is the Irish Pub Pugs sister mentioned which is showing the Munster Match is also beside the expo. It is only about 100 metres from Staal and might be a friendlier place for people to meet up particularly for anyone travelling alone. Although I am generally one of those people who avoids Irish Pubs when abroad it might be a little bit more welcoming given that people will probably wander in at different stages and Staal does look a tiny bit sterile.

Makes sense to pick somewhere where there might be something to watch on telly in between the rest of us turning up or otherwise, only problem being remembering to avoid the alcohol on the Saturday. ;)

Eh Robin..... boobs please :D

Eh Robin..... boobs please :D

Sorry, I'm the one in the middle not looking at the camera:

3588860272_d47fd56ab7.jpg

Rotterdam weather forecast is looking like coldish and mixed for the first half of next week and moving towards 12-14 degrees towards the end of the week. Great - but no higher please!

How's the taper going? Have the weird unexplained "injuries" appeared yet? My taper started at 08:00 on Monday and within 30 minutes I developed a pain in my two knees - unbelievable, never had a pain in them before... ffs. Running was OK last night though.

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

My taper today consisted of being too lazy to go out for a run.

My taper today consisted of being too lazy to go out for a run.

So thats lust and sloth you've covered on this page Robin - only 5 deadly sins to go :D

So thats lust and sloth you've covered on this page Robin - only 5 deadly sins to go :D

I think I covered gluttony in the Lexlip 5km thread.

How's the taper going? Have the weird unexplained "injuries" appeared yet?
    :eek::eek:

I have just added up my runs and for sixteen weeks including next weeks runs I will average 2.6 runs per week so I haven't actually run enough miles to get injured!! I keep thinking my garmin is lying to me but I cant seem to squeeze any more runs out of it. I wonder if there is such a thing as a four month taper. I just hope there is a little bit of truth in all those 'less is more' theories. I'll find out soon enough! The only good thing is that my runs are concentrated towards the middle and end of the program.

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    I have just added up my runs and for sixteen weeks including next weeks runs I will average 2.6 runs per week so I haven't actually run enough miles to get injured!! I keep thinking my garmin is lying to me but I cant seem to squeeze any more runs out of it. I wonder if there is such a thing as a four month taper. I just hope there is a little bit of truth in all those 'less is more' theories. I'll find out soon enough! The only good thing is that my runs are concentrated towards the middle and end of the program.

Don't include this or next weeks runs. Average the 8 weeks before this week. How's that looking? Be positive. Ha can't believe I said that, I'm terrible for looking at what I haven't done. Look at what you have done.

Tappering going well for me. Some niggles alright but they've been hanging around since a week before taper. They are not getting in the way of running that much so I've been lucky overall. I'm thinking a lot about running, even dreaming about it.

Its been a hard slog hasn't it. Snow, freezing temperatures, all that training when its dark is hard too. Roll on this time Sunday week, sitting down with a beer. I for one haven't had a good scoop of drinks in maybe 4 weeks. Anyway, dreaming again, lots of work to do from now till then.

Its been a hard slog hasn't it. Snow, freezing temperatures, all that training when its dark is hard too. Roll on this time Sunday week, sitting down with a beer. I for one haven't had a good scoop of drinks in maybe 4 weeks. Anyway, dreaming again, lots of work to do from now till then.

It's been tough tough going alright - the weather has been a real challenge but the 5:30am starts for stiff-limbed mid-week runs in the cold and pitch dark have been the hardest part for me. I remember one savage run in the driving sleet on a black-dark morning in January - jaysus.

You're right though MF - focus on the good stuff - all that training, hard work and good sessions. Just totted my distances there and discovered that yesterday I passed the 500 mile mark since Jan 1st. I never thought it possible. The buzz on some of the good runs has been intense. By Sunday week I'll have run around 20 miles in training for every mile of the race. It makes the stakes high for sure - you feel you really deserve to get something back - a fatal assumption though :eek:. I reckon the training gives you the opportunity to get something back - you have to go out on the day and be really motivated and focused on taking that opportunity.

A buddy who has swum the channel recommended to me over a pint (well he had a pint - I had an orange juice - no booze since Jan 1st) that I write down the story of the race in advance. No big prose epic but to help with visualisation. Describe what you'll feel at the start, how you'll approach the first quarter, first half, out to 32km and then what you aim to manage over the last 10k. Write down times, pace, feelings at various points, motivating factors etc. Seemed a bit naff when he was talking about it but he says it really helped him. The more I think about it the more I think I'll probably give it a go. I'm spending so much time thinking about the race I might as well - I definitely won't be posting it though :)

Disaster strikes. Been struck down with sharp pain in my coccyx (tailbone). Was at the munster leinster match last night (standing in the terrace) and felt a little stiff after it. Woke up this morning with severe pain, difficult to walk let alone run, standing up is the hardest. I'm on difene painkillers now, they are helping a bit but the pain is still there. I have 8 days to recover before rotterdam but i'm not optimistic. i reckon i will go over anyway and meet the relatives if i cant run but i cant help thinking its 12 weeks and 430 miles down the drain. Hopefully i will make the startline, fingers crossed.

fingers crossed indeed Brian, sorry to hear that.

Disaster strikes. Been struck down with sharp pain in my coccyx (tailbone). Was at the munster leinster match last night (standing in the terrace) and felt a little stiff after it. Woke up this morning with severe pain, difficult to walk let alone run, standing up is the hardest. I'm on difene painkillers now, they are helping a bit but the pain is still there. I have 8 days to recover before rotterdam but i'm not optimistic. i reckon i will go over anyway and meet the relatives if i cant run but i cant help thinking its 12 weeks and 430 miles down the drain. Hopefully i will make the startline, fingers crossed.

Sorry to hear that Brian - there's a week to go so you can definitely give recovery a go. Are you getting any treatment? Surely a good physio can help free you up. As you say, given what you've put into the preparation you owe yourself that much.

Good luck

• Advertisement

^ Cheers, yeah i'm going to try to go to an osteopath on tuesday, stupid bank holiday in the way, definitely worth a shot. Its no big deal i'm sure that i'm missing the 12 miler today.

Advertisement