Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    If there was a nice coffee shop at or in the vicinity of the expo it might be a nice way to pass a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon if people fancied meeting up for a while during the day.

Lets hope you dont get called after the race by Anti-Doping Officials or you'd be fecked :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

After the likes of DCM people head home and it will then be a big ask to drag yourself back into town, but as 12345 says there isn't any excuse for skipping out of the drinks after Rotterdam seeing as home for all of us is probably going to be within a few hundred meters of the finish line.

Definately a good idea to get the names of a couple of places centrally that would be suitable from the local contacts people have. Then we have potential meetups post expo (for non alcoholic hydration and then all you can eat pasta for those who want to) and post race (for the important carb replacement therapy).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

04072511 wrote: »
    Lets hope you dont get called after the race by Anti-Doping Officials or you'd be fecked :D

Good point. Don't anyone be asking for directions to a coffee shop before the race, afterwards is another matter, but before hand I think it's a cafe that you'd be looking for. Not certain though as never had call for one of them. :D

Maybe just ask for a Starbucks to be safe as if its the generic term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Just curious, are there 'coffee shops' in all/most cities in Holland or just Amsterdam? Imagine a room full of people cabbaged from dope and having completed a marathon. I'm picturing wheelbarrows at closing time.

Most of them are in Amsterdam, but there will be a very small number in other places as well. I have heard rumors that some places don't have any, but I've had no reason to venture outside of Amsterdam before myself so am not sure.

I do expect to be returning in a very similar state as my previous times to the Netherlands, but due to very, very different reasons. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

robinph wrote: »
    Most of them are in Amsterdam, but there will be a very small number in other places as well. I have heard rumors that some places don't have any, but I've had no reason to venture outside of Amsterdam before myself so am not sure.

I do expect to be returning in a very similar state as my previous times to the Netherlands, but due to very, very different reasons. :D

I'd gladly run 3 marathon one after the other in the one day than have one of those space cakes again! Absolutely lethal stuff!

I shant be joining you guys in the "coffee shops" if you decide to go there!

It would be pretty obvious most of the time if you were on the look out for a venti latte and walked into the wrong kind of establishment though, so don't worry about that. Just done a bit of research on the matter though and they do exist in Rotterdam, but it seems the attitude towards them is not quite as relaxed as in The 'Dam and they are nowhere near as numerous.

Anyway, getting back on track ...

So we may meet up for a coffee on the Saturday, but not at a coffee shop incase anyone was wondering. Does anyone remember what time the Expo is open until on the Saturday actually, I presume there is loads of time for us to get there to get the numbers that evening so allowing for flights/ trains/ getting lost etc?

I suppose I could go and search through for the emails they sent me, but ...

I think you could register until 7 on the Saturday but don't quote me.

For the record 040... don't worry about that. I was just curious to know if its like Amdam.

There is a good band called 'Band of Horses' playing in Rotterdam on the Saturday night. If anyone can understand Dutch that is :confused:....the link to buy tickets on their website is dutch.

Are people doing their long runs on flat roads or mixing it up? Any thoughts on that?

Expo info from marathon website:

Marathon SportExpo
    For the 18th time in the history of the Fortis Marathon Rotterdam a Marathon SportExpo is being organised. From Friday 9 April to Sunday 11 April (incl.) the Expo becomes the meeting place for participants who have entered for one of the various distances of the Fortis Marathon Rotterdam. As in previous years the expo will take place in the Beurs-World Trade Center in the centre of Rotterdam.

Address
    Beurs-World Trade Center- Beursplein 37

Opening hours (subject to change)
    April 9th: 10.00-20.00 hrs
    April 10th: 10.00-19.00 hrs
    April 11th: 08.00-10.00 hrs

Race secretariat
    You can pick up your bib number and your D-Tag at the race secretariat. You will receive your bib number (incl. safety pins, D-Tag, a functional adidas running shirt and goodies) only upon presentation of your proof of entry, which you received earlier by e-mail. So, don’t forget to take your proof of entry.

The proof of entry is strictly personal and not transferable. It is NOT possible to transfer the proof of entry. The opening times for the race secretariat and the Marathon SportExpo are the same (see above). For questions relating to your proof of entry, bib number or time registration you can go to the Help Desk. For general questions please go to the information desk.

The sports expo par excellence
    There are countless stands from different sports brands and products at the Marathon SportExpo. Grab your chance and take advantage of the benefit of having all the different brands together at the marathon SportExpo. There will be special offers during the marathon weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

I think you could register until 7 on the Saturday but don't quote me.

For the record 040... don't worry about that. I was just curious to know if its like Amdam.

There is a good band called 'Band of Horses' playing in Rotterdam on the Saturday night. If anyone can understand Dutch that is :confused:....the link to buy tickets on their website is dutch.

Are people doing their long runs on flat roads or mixing it up? Any thoughts on that?

Sorry to nip in here. Doing Paris the same weekend which is flat also.

Doing all long runs now on flat to simulate the race. Want to get the muscles etc used to and strenghtened against the constant repetition before race day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Agreed but according to Pfitzinger very few people can run negative splits like that. Uncle Pete reckons this applies at all levels of ability - he says even Gebrsellassie had a positive split for his world record. I reckon I'd have to budget for a crap mile or two at the end. I'm putting a lot of faith in that book for a number of aspects to the training / preparation / tactics so I should probably stay consistent. In my one and only marathon to date I had a fairly hefty +15 (yikes) split at DCM '09 :o
    I reckon you should aspire to run a negative split, even if it doesn't actually happen on the day. Planning to slow down due to tiredness over the last few miles is one sure fire way of making sure that it happens!

I've followed that program twice (12 week/55 mile), with great results (and negative splits on both occasions). Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Oops, silly me. One of these days I'll learn to engage my grey matter before I open my mouth. Can you imagine the face on a receptionist in Rotterdam if you strolled up to him or her on the Saturday before the marathon sporting marathon merchandise from a previous outing only to ask for directions to a 'nice coffee shop'.

Yes...I can imagine the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

I reckon you should aspire to run a negative split, even if it doesn't actually happen on the day. Planning to slow down due to tiredness over the last few miles is one sure fire way of making sure that it happens!

I've followed that program twice (12 week/55 mile), with great results (and negative splits on both occasions). Good luck.

Cheers Krusty - agree on the ambition - just need to deal with the oul' pessimistic side ;)

Well done on Barcelona - a model set of splits to back up your argument too. Inspration to all us Rotterdamers for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JAM3114

Hi - does anyone know what isotonic drinks are offered on the Rotterdam Marathon course?
    I've been training with Lucozade sport & was wondering if it can be bought in Rotterdam as I doubt the airline will allow me to bring a bottle in my carry on luggage (assuming liquid restrictions still apply:rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

JAM3114 wrote: »
    Hi - does anyone know what isotonic drinks are offered on the Rotterdam Marathon course?
    I've been training with Lucozade sport & was wondering if it can be bought in Rotterdam as I doubt the airline will allow me to bring a bottle in my carry on luggage (assuming liquid restrictions still apply:rolleyes:)
    Think its extran(watered down muck)
    Why not get the powdered luc sport and make your own over there. Have one in your hand for the first 10km.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

My sister got back to me today, so here's what she had to say...
    Ok I have had a think and a walk around town to refresh my memory..
    Hopefully this will be helpful, if someone wants info on a place they have looked up then just let me know.

Italian Restaurants..

Ok my favourite Italian is a little off the beaten track, it is small but very busy so you have to book to get a table Due Tonino, Goudsesingel 67, http://www.duetonino.nl/ Tel: (010) 433 10 63

Other Italian’s

Napoli, Meent 81a Tel: (010) 414 84 67, This is nice and central http://www.restaurant-napoli.nl/

Pavarotti, Korte Lijnbaan 9, Tel (010) 404 57 98, this place does good food but it is cheap and cheerful – no luxury here.

Oliva, Witte de Withstraat 15a, (010) 412 14 13 http://www.restaurantoliva.nl/joomla/ this place is a bit pricy but I have been told it is good

There are plenty of others, and they will all be busy the night before the marathon, check out http://www.iens.nl/restaurant/rotterdam/italiaans?a=*Centrum for a pretty good list..

As for bar:

I know visiting from Ireland a lot of people do not like to go to an Irish pub but it is the one I would recommend for atmosphere and fun, it is also very central, Paddy Murphy’s, Rodezand 15 check out http://www.paddymurphys.nl/, be warned though they do charge €2.50 after 9.30 on Friday and Saturday night for the band.

If you want to go to somewhere a bit less busy where you can have a chat then Furore, Jonker Fransstraat 237 http://www.restaurantfurore.nl/index2.php is a nice place – they also do nice food.

Something in between the 2 above would be

Stalles, Nieuwe Binnenweg 11a, http://www.cafestalles.nl/index2.php

Rotown, Nieuwe Binnenweg 17-19, http://www.rotown.nl/index.php

As for Café:

Anywhere in Stadhuisplein would do, it is central and there is plenty of choice, though be warned these cafes turn into crappy night clubs after midnight..

On a sunny day Furore (mentioned above) is also really nice

And finally other places to eat which are not Italian (for anyone staying after and has had enough pasts).

Bazar, Witte de Withstraat 16, +31-(0)10-2065151 http://www.bazarrotterdam.com/

Idols, Coolsingel 103, http://www.wokrotterdam.nl/

Little V, Grotekerkplein 109, (010) 413 11 91 http://www.littlev.nl/contact.php

Sakura, Aert van Nesstraat 4, (010) 280 01 71 http://www.sakura-restaurant.nl/

D

Pug, please convey my thanks to your sister. She obviously put a lot of effort into compiling all that info. It might sound eager but I just booked one of the Italians she recommenced cause I know from experience that the good Italians get booked up well in advance. In relation to the possible get together on Saturday afternoon I spotted a cafe on Google Earth which appears to be close to the entrance of the Expo.
    It might be worth adding to the list of possibilities as it looks nice and spacious. There seems to be some formal parts and some more casual areas including an outside seating area.
    http://staalrotterdam.dcportal.nl/Staal/Algemeneimpressieclip/tabid/402/Default.aspx

Pug, please convey my thanks to your sister. She obviously put a lot of effort into compiling all that info. It might sound eager but I just booked one of the Italians she recommenced cause I know from experience that the good Italians get booked up well in advance. In relation to the possible get together on Saturday afternoon I spotted a cafe on Google Earth which appears to be close to the entrance of the Expo.
    It might be worth adding to the list of possibilities as it looks nice and spacious. There seems to be some formal parts and some more casual areas including an outside seating area.
    http://staalrotterdam.dcportal.nl/Staal/Algemeneimpressieclip/tabid/402/Default.aspx

Pug - mucho thanks to your sister - nice one

Folks, should we book a table for a few of us or is that getting too organised?

Does anyone know if there are pacers in the race? If so, for what times?

I'm having major hassle getting set at my pmp (if I focus I run too fast and if I chill I run too slow) and would really benefit from running with a pacer.

No problems, she's since read through the thread and mailed me a few other bits of information. I've asked here to come on here herself in case anyone has questions, but she doesn't seem that interested. Here's the latest anyway :)
    I see the question on coffee ships in Rotterdam as well
    There are plenty in Rotterdam, though not at tourist friendly as Amsterdam, most are dark and dingy, there is one with windows so it less dingy which is behind the Napoli Restaurant I mentioned, can't remember what it is called.
    I think they have answered their own questions on the coffee shop..
    For the person who wants

Tickets for Band of Horses

Seems you have to buy a ticket on line then exchange it for a wrist band in Schouwburgplein, the band are playing in a festival which is happening over the weekend. The photo is a picture of the queue of people who were getting their wrist bands last year. The venue for the music is Watt, this is a good music venue http://www.watt-rotterdam.nl but seems the festival is on there the Friday and Saturday night before the marathon so you have to get festival tickets..

Seems the festival includes things like a tour of Rotterdam if people are looking for something to do over the weekend.. http://www.motelmozaique.nl/english/

The part in Dutch about the tickets on the link.

At the festival you have to exchange your tickets for a wristband which gives you entrance to all festivalvenues. But please remember: We are a festival and not all visitors fit in just one venue, so if you definitely don’t wanna miss out on a specific show make sure to be there on time! Swapping your ticket for a wristband can/must be done at the Schouwburgplein (right in front festivallocation the Rotterdamse Schouwburg), on Friday from 17.00h till 00.00h for Fridaytickets, 2-daytickets and sleepingtickets for Friday. On Saturday from 17.00h till 00.00h for Saturdaytickets and sleepingtickets for Saturday.

• Advertisement

Forgot to say I too would be interested in hearing about pacers at the race, I'm currently hoping to finish in or around the 4 hour mark.

Actually I may as well ask a question in case anyone more experienced might be able to give advise. I'm kind of wondering If I should consider going that bit faster? In training on my lsr's I generally have a pace anywhere between 8.30 and 9.30 depending on whether I'm paying attention or not. I did a 19 mile lsr 2 weeks ago and I did a fair chunk of it faster than a 9 minute mile, I felt fine afterwards no real aches or pains anywhere. My normal running pace is around the 8-8.15 minute mile, but I'm slowly getting below the 8 minute mile mark for periods of time as the weeks go on. I'm still a bit or a noob at marathons so I'm finding it hard to figure out what I'm capable of. I want to get the most out of myself but I'm worried if I set off too fast that I'll knacker myself out before the end. Then again I also don't want to get to the end and think I could have done a whole lot better if I put a bit more effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Disaster!!

Damaged ligaments in my back about 4 weeks ago. Immediately checked in with a physio when it happened, and over the course of the last 4 weeks, have been unable to train. I had been up to 14.5miles on the long run, and had been preparing to get a 16mile run in the following day. As it was my first Marathon I had been looking forward to it, so when I did injure myself I knew my race was in jeopardy. I have been out a few times since Wednesday but nothing over 4miles, as my back is slowly regaining it's strength. From talking to my physio it was obvious very early on, that the race was over for me, and he told me to concentrate on shorter races over the next while instead.

So I just want to wish everyone else the best of luck, and hopefully my injury will be the last for everyone wishing to run on April 11th.

I will be heading over regardless, but still haven't decided if I'll spectate the race as I know I'll be fairly depressed, but instead I might just take a trip to one of the coffee shops that were talked about on a previous page.

pug_ wrote: »
    Actually I may as well ask a question in case anyone more experienced might be able to give advise. I'm kind of wondering If I should consider going that bit faster? In training on my lsr's I generally have a pace anywhere between 8.30 and 9.30 depending on whether I'm paying attention or not. I did a 19 mile lsr 2 weeks ago and I did a fair chunk of it faster than a 9 minute mile, I felt fine afterwards no real aches or pains anywhere. My normal running pace is around the 8-8.15 minute mile, but I'm slowly getting below the 8 minute mile mark for periods of time as the weeks go on. I'm still a bit or a noob at marathons so I'm finding it hard to figure out what I'm capable of. I want to get the most out of myself but I'm worried if I set off too fast that I'll knacker myself out before the end. Then again I also don't want to get to the end and think I could have done a whole lot better if I put a bit more effort in.

Pug, Although I wouldn't consider myself particularly experienced and I have no coaching experience I have done over three thousand miles over the last four years between 8 and 9 minute/mile pace so we might be quite similar in terms of form.

Firstly have you done any short distance races over the last couple of months as they are a great way of gauging form assuming that you have the long runs done for stamina. Do you do much speed work such as 4 by 1 mile sessions etc. What is your marathon PB by the way.
    For my second best marathon(3:44) which happened to be my second marathon I did one 20 two 17 and two 15 mile LSR's. My pace for the 20 was over 9:20 but I remember being able to run 6 or 7 mile runs at 7:45 with a good push.

I have a theory that for the 3:45 to 4hr marathon range you need to be able to do 6 or 7 mile runs at about 40 or 45 seconds faster than you goal pace at a steady/purposeful pace but not at a 10k race pace. Although in saying that if you look at the mcmillan running calculator for a 3:45 Marathon (8:30 m/m based on 26.5miles) the 10k pace is 7:42 pace and the 10mile pace is 8:02. From what you said it doesn't sound like you are a million miles away from this level but as I said take what I say with a pinch of salt as even though I have eight marathons done I would still consider myself a complete novice in comparison to some of the members on boards.

Even though I wouldn't like you to jeopardise your run in Rotterdam I wonder if you should work out a 3:50 pace schedule to see what you think. On the day you will know after a couple of miles whether it feels right or not. If you adopt the three thirds approach hopefully you wont go far wrong, ie you should feel like you are holding yourself back for the first third, then running at a steady but comfortable pace for the second third and so being able to take the strain of the final third without a significant drop in pace. By the way just to explain this strategy it doesn't mean you run three different paces but rather you try and pick a pace that you can more or less maintain throughout.

Extract from website:

PacersFMR_2009_pacers%20logo%2070x70.jpgThe Runner's World Pacing Team will be active again during the 30th edition of the Fortis Marathon Rotterdam. These experienced runners will help you to achieve the finish time you are aiming for. They set the pace and give you advice during the race. They are clearly recognizable and are classified based upon aspired finish times. Click here for more information and registration.

The link doesn't give much info but it would appear that there are pacers from 3:15 to 4:30 inc at 15 minute intervals

Update: the above info is from the English website whereas the info below is from the translated Dutch version:

Pacing Team
    In cooperation with the Fortis Rotterdam Marathon, the Runner's World Pacing Team for this years runners to be present at their desired time dream hares.

What is Runner's World Pacing Team?
    Participants in the Runner's World Team Pacing walk behind pacers (organizers) to. The pacers are experienced and ultra-marathon runners who are able to schedule a walk as flat as possible. To you through the difficult moments dragging, they have occasionally fall back into the group for your courage to speak. They are not only capable of a tight and steady pace to run, but you can also move with tips and advice invaluable.

The participants are divided in groups planned target times. Each group to run the marathon along two pacers. They are clearly identifiable by a uniform and a balloon. The color of the balloon shows what time they run. This time is also printed on the balloon. Your participation in the Runner's World Pacing Team are - beyond the usual fees for the event itself - no extra cost.

The target times in the marathon are:
    3.15, 3.30, 3.45, 4.00, 4.15 and 4.30 hours

Pug, Although I wouldn't consider myself particularly experienced and I have no coaching experience I have done over three thousand miles over the last four years between 8 and 9 minute/mile pace so we might be quite similar in terms of form.

Firstly have you done any short distance races over the last couple of months as they are a great way of gauging form assuming that you have the long runs done for stamina. Do you do much speed work such as 4 by 1 mile sessions etc. What is your marathon PB by the way.
    For my second best marathon(3:44) which happened to be my second marathon I did one 20 two 17 and two 15 mile LSR's. My pace for the 20 was over 9:20 but I remember being able to run 6 or 7 mile runs at 7:45 with a good push.

I have a theory that for the 3:45 to 4hr marathon range you need to be able to do 6 or 7 mile runs at about 40 or 45 seconds faster than you goal pace at a steady/purposeful pace but not at a 10k race pace. Although in saying that if you look at the mcmillan running calculator for a 3:45 Marathon (8:30 m/m based on 26.5miles) the 10k pace is 7:42 pace and the 10mile pace is 8:02. From what you said it doesn't sound like you are a million miles away from this level but as I said take what I say with a pinch of salt as even though I have eight marathons done I would still consider myself a complete novice in comparison to some of the members on boards.

Even though I wouldn't like you to jeopardise your run in Rotterdam I wonder if you should work out a 3:50 pace schedule to see what you think. On the day you will know after a couple of miles whether it feels right or not. If you adopt the three thirds approach hopefully you wont go far wrong, ie you should feel like you are holding yourself back for the first third, then running at a steady but comfortable pace for the second third and so being able to take the strain of the final third without a significant drop in pace. By the way just to explain this strategy it doesn't mean you run three different paces but rather you try and pick a pace that you can more or less maintain throughout.

Thanks for the reply Moycullen. No I haven't done any races since before Christmas I've been concentrating on training for this marathon. I do zero speed work, I think I'm pretty poor at training in general tbh. I put in the miles all right, but other than the lsr I generally just keep trotting along at the same pace which is a little bit below what I could probably do if I were in race mode. Speed work is the one thing I want to concentrate on when Rotterdam is over (or maybe after Cork).

I like that three third approach idea, it kind of makes sense, and based on what you said around times I think you might be right about my times being close to 3.45, but they're also close to 4 hours. What I might do is start off with an initial pace aiming for the 4 hours, and if after a third or so I feel like I'm holding back speed up a little and see how it goes. It may not be the fastest I'm capable of I don't know, but I suppose there are plenty of other races out there for figuring that side of things out :)

I'm surprised at how badly the Dutch seem to be translating to English from their website, or was that Google in which case the translations seems about right. I'd seemed to have forgotten about them having any pacers, or had just forgotten, but I'm actually quite liking that 3:15 is the fastest group. I'll stick with them at the start I think and then see if I can, hopefully, leave them behind later on rather than the other way round. If there had been a 3hr groups I'd have been in a dilemna and would have probably planned to go chasing off after them wich would not be a good thing.

robinph wrote: »
    I'm surprised at how badly the Dutch seem to be translating to English from their website, or was that Google in which case the translations seems about right.

Should have mentioned it was a Google translation. Computer a only mess could a have such made!!

Pug, when I started running I ran what I could, when I could without following any kind of a structured program apart from the long runs which I took from a 4:15 program. For my third marathon I used the Runners World 3:45 program from the attached list. The one component I got most benefit from was the Tuesday speed session. The difference from just adding in one speed session a week was incredible. If you could even manage three or four sessions between Rotterdam and Cork I reckon you will find the improvement staggering. It will really improve your general strength as well as things like your VO2 max and your lactate threshold(apparently). The good thing about these programs is that they give you guide times for the sessions.

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/racing/virgin-london-marathon-schedules-for-your-garmin/2477.html

Thanks again Moycullen, I think I'll give that a go. I have a forerunner 405 and I didn't even know you could download programs onto it! This is a bit of a revelation to me I have to say so I'm really looking forward to trying it out now :D

That's great news about the pacers. Now, if only I could get rid of this killer cold - 9 days on the go now and getting worse not better. I dunno what to do.

Pug, a combination of Moycullen's advice and use of a pacer group should take you to that faster time.

• Advertisement

I can usually find a wildly inaccurate long term weather forecast for Glastonbury months in advance, they generally just say rain though. But the best I've been able to find so far for Rotterdam is a 15 day forecast, which doesn't quite take us up to the day:

15 day forecast

They seem to be expecting a lot of rain between now and the beginning of the week we're interested in, so maybe there is hope that it will have changed for something more pleasant by that weekend. I've put in my request to the weather gods for a mostly clear day, with a few clouds passing over at points dropping some very light drizzle on us, probably from about 15miles on but clearing up to make for a lovely sunny moment when we cross the finish line. Most important though is no wind.

Will have to see what they come up with for us.

Advertisement