Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2010

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Moycullen1

Damned cups. Damn damn damn!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Moycullen1 wrote: »
    Damned cups. Damn damn damn!

Not quite that bad I don't think. Cannot link to specific pages on their site, but if you go to Participants->Drinking System there is a picture on that page of a cup with a lid with holes in by the looks of it.

Not as good as the little bottles they had in Dublin, but could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

robinph wrote: »
    Not quite that bad I don't think. Cannot link to specific pages on their site, but if you go to Participants->Drinking System there is a picture on that page of a cup with a lid with holes in by the looks of it.

Not as good as the little bottles they had in Dublin, but could be worse.

I'm going to assume the lid is on there and that the cup is handed to you. Hoping that by taking water at each station I should get enough overall. Will have to slow down to drink though. I'm probably looking at a 4 gel strategy - 10k, 20k, 30k and one more after 30. Might go for a few squirts of that energy drink at 20k. Was so whacked in Dublin that I couldn't swallow after 30k - not even water after 35k. I really don't want that again!

Is it just me or does anyone else find it hilarious that tea is served at the last four drink stations. Back to the cups though. Personally I like being able to sip from a bottle between stations rather than having to gulp it down as you shuffle away from the 'booth'. Even if the lid/insert/widgety-thingy was secured with insulation tape I still cant imagine drinking from it without spilling it even at a slow jog. Not that it will probably matter with the way my training is going! I wonder what the tea will be served in, or on, or with!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

So, is it mixed up and ready in different cups?

Extram Energy looks like your normal booster drink.

The cups are regular paper cups, topped with a sponge disc with two triangles to drink through (think pacman with another mouth). Very effective to drink from, and you have a ready-filled sponge to drink from, or wipe your brow with.

Wouldn't recommend drinking the extram unless you are used to it.

Forgot about the tea, I was glad of it when I died at 30k last year, as I was of the orange segments the spectators give out at that stage.

You'll never run a better organized marathon.

• Advertisement

The cups are regular paper cups, topped with a sponge disc with two triangles to drink through (think pacman with another mouth). Very effective to drink from, and you have a ready-filled sponge to drink from, or wipe your brow with.

Wouldn't recommend drinking the extram unless you are used to it.

Forgot about the tea, I was glad of it when I died at 30k last year, as I was of the orange segments the spectators give out at that stage.

You'll never run a better organized marathon.

Thanks dnhop. Not having seen these cups before I was a bit worried. The sponge sounds like a great idea. Do the helpers hand them to you or do you have to go and get them off a table (or in a "booth")?

Thanks dnhop. Not having seen these cups before I was a bit worried. The sponge sounds like a great idea. Do the helpers hand them to you or do you have to go and get them off a table (or in a "booth")?

Very long tables, (with a simple "roof" cover for shading, I think), helpers hand the drinks, more long tables towards the back where you can grab another if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I made a big bubu last year. I drank from the cups with the sponge on. It soaked up the water and i didnt get as much as i thought i did(only realised after race)
    In berlin they give you a sponge. My advise would be to get a baby sponge as the marathon is at 11am. Found it great in berlin. It get really warm and dehydration might come into it. easy to hold it in your hand.
    So what i wouold do is grab 2 or 3(a 3 second stop at a water station x 5 times wont wreck your time. It will make sure you get in enough liquids. I actually stopped at prob 5 water stations last year in berlin. As i was wearing a garmin i just sped up 100 yds before i went into the station and
    drank one, threw another one over my sponge, increase the pace until i got to target pace and slowed it down again.
    Point is i learnt from Rotterdam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

How much water should one take on board during a marathon? With it being my first I really havent a clue. I've heard that its just as bad to take on too much water as too little. But what is too much water?

How's everyone's training going? I plan to hit an 18 miler this saturday, which will take me over the 200 mile mark in my training. After that I plan to do a 20 miler (3 weeks later) and then after that, all things going well it will be a nice easy run in to the marathon!

What are people's goal times? 3:59.59 for myself. I should be somewhere between 3:50 and 4:10 I'd imagine!

I actually stopped at prob 5 water stations last year in berlin.

Always a good strategy. The few seconds you "lose" will be more than made up by being properly hydrated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just got the email through with the details of my race numbe, I'm down for starting in pen D. Seems that its a bit Willy Wonka when we pick up our numbers as well, if your race number is in a golden envelope then you win a holiday.

Edit: Its seems that I messed up on filling in my details though as they have me down as living in IERLAND. <doh>

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Got my number too, got into the B pen, niceone.

^ Don't forget to send them the proof for that.

I think the D one was as far forward as you could get without needing proof of a time. Next time I'll be able to get next pen forward, if it all goes better than to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Got an email yesterday sayin that I'm in the B section, sent them my Edinburgh result from last year, also noticed IERLAND

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

I was hoping to run this as my first marathon but unfortunately got injured (Damn snow and ice!)
    I had asked would they let me into the C section and they had said it would be no prob. They said that i would have to contact them after receiving my number...
    So if u planning on goin under 3 hrs then drop them a line and they mite let u into the C pen..

I'd like to get a sub 3 and in theory am capable of it, but getting a C on my number would be a bit too much like comitting to a time target and I'm not prepared to do that. I'll stick with the plan of getting a nice surprise of breaking it from the D pen rather than failing to get it from the C pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭aero2k

04072511 wrote: »
    How much water should one take on board during a marathon? With it being my first I really havent a clue. I've heard that its just as bad to take on too much water as too little. But what is too much water?
    I reckon I managed 1.5-2 litres in DCM '09. I think it depends on conditions and personal preference. I tend to lose a lot of weight on long runs so I try to replace it as I go.

I'm in the D pen too. I'm going for 3:20 so if I see you robinph I'll make sure to let you off ahead of me ;)

20 miles LSR yesterday - 5 slightly faster than PMP, 10 at LSR pace and 5 at slightly faster than PMP - right in the thick of the distance work at present. Still trying to absorb the advice from Tergat et al on the PMP Workouts and Pace thread to be honest

Incidentally, we should be glad we're able to train away this past two months. I've been in and out to mainland Europe a bit for work over the last few weeks and the snow, ice and minus temperatures are murder - they haven't had a break since mid-December! Gimme that damp Atlantic weather any time :P

woddle
    Moycullen1
    Roddy23
    How Strange
    ULstudent
    Tunguska
    heffsarmy
    misty floyd
    robinph
    pug_
    runsalot
    KentuckyPete

List of names lifted from the end of the Spring Marathons thread that spawned this one.

So, with only just over a month to go how is it all going for everyone?

I know I've not quite been managing to get in enough miles myself, but that has never stopped me before and barring a leg falling off between now and then I should be good to go. Still have to decide what time I'm going to set the pace on my watch for and keep varying between setting it for anything from 3hrs pace to 3:20 pace. The thinking being that if it shows me ahead of pace I'll feel better on the way round, whereas the 3hr pace is just a pipe dream, but would allow for me making easier calculations in my tired head on the way to figure out where I'm really up to.

There is yet the highly important task of figuring out a potential venue for post race pints, so does anyone know somewhere suitable? There is also the possibility of meeting up on the Saturday as well and seeing who can eat the most pasta.

woddle
    Moycullen1
    Roddy23
    How Strange
    ULstudent
    Tunguska
    heffsarmy
    misty floyd
    robinph
    pug_
    runsalot
    KentuckyPete

List of names lifted from the end of the Spring Marathons thread that spawned this one.

I know I've not quite been managing to get in enough miles myself, but that has never stopped me before and barring a leg falling off between now and then I should be good to go. Still have to decide what time I'm going to set the pace on my watch for and keep varying between setting it for anything from 3hrs pace to 3:20 pace. The thinking being that if it shows me ahead of pace I'll feel better on the way round, whereas the 3hr pace is just a pipe dream, but would allow for me making easier calculations in my tired head on the way to figure out where I'm really up to.

There is yet the highly important task of figuring out a potential venue for post race pints, so does anyone know somewhere suitable? There is also the possibility of meeting up on the Saturday as well and seeing who can eat the most pasta.

As Rotterdam is a small enough city and all our accomodation should be really close to the start/ finish, and we'll all be finishing at different times due to our varying abilities I suggest the following:

We meet at around 5 or 6ish somewhere. That way we can all head back to our hotels, shower, get into clean clothes etc, and that way we'll be set for a good evening.

I know we'll be wrecked and all that jazz, but if we can run 26.2 miles then surely we can muster up the energy to head back out from our hotels for some pints (numb the aches and pains). This whole "once you go home, you wont come back out" thing seems like nonsense to me.

Thats just my suggestion anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

So far training going very well, did a 19 mile lsr yesterday and I was very pleased with myself at the end of it.

As for meeting up with fellow boardsies my sister lives in Rotterdam so I could ask her to suggest a venue if folks want? She's been there been there for 7-8 years now so it's fair to say she knows the place pretty well by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Pug, sounds like a good idea. 040...I'll try meet up after race but you know yourself, feeling cold, or wanting to lie down or whatever after the race. Its hard to know a time. Will shower and probably chill at hotel and def head out though.

Training for me is going very well. Gonna race a 10m in Craughwell this weekend. Anyone else doing a longish race to see where you are at? I have a good idea where I'm at so I don't know if I'll race it 100%. Not sure.

Very much looking forward to Rotterdam.

woddle
    Moycullen1
    Roddy23
    How Strange
    ULstudent
    Tunguska
    heffsarmy
    misty floyd
    robinph
    pug_
    runsalot
    KentuckyPete

Training is going well - touch wood, injuries have stayed away so far. Longest LSR yesterday - 23 miles and felt strong at the end. Am doing around 50 miles per week and in the past week or two have been able to recover enough from the weekly LSR to do some tempo/speed work in mid-week.

I'm looking at a target of 3:20 - should I go for a 1:38 / 1:42 split?

Definitely let's do the pub thing in the evening. Pug's sister seems to be hereby elected as entertainments officer. I'm staying about 300m from the startline so I can go wherever she recommends.

Pug, please get her to recommend a pub nearby - I don't care how good such and such a pub is in the suburbs or on the other side of town. We'll be wrecked!

Count me in for Saturday Pasta too

Pug, if you are chatting to your sister over the next couple of weeks would you mind asking her for the names of a couple of good Italian restaurants. I am always a bit nervous of hotel recommendations especially when the concierge offers to book a table for you! I have had mixed success with this approach in the past.

Sunday evening sounds like a good idea for a get together after the customary cold bath. If there was a nice coffee shop at or in the vicinity of the expo it might be a nice way to pass a couple of hours on Saturday afternoon if people fancied meeting up for a while during the day.

Between the cold spell over December and January and a head cold in February my PB plans have been well and truly clobbered. Looking forward to a leisurely run around Rotterdam.

Pug, sounds like a good idea. 040...I'll try meet up after race but you know yourself, feeling cold, or wanting to lie down or whatever after the race. Its hard to know a time. Will shower and probably chill at hotel and def head out though.

Training for me is going very well. Gonna race a 10m in Craughwell this weekend. Anyone else doing a longish race to see where you are at? I have a good idea where I'm at so I don't know if I'll race it 100%. Not sure.

Very much looking forward to Rotterdam.

misty floyd, I'm doing Ballycotton (10 miles) on March 21st. Don't know how to approach it. I don't want to go flat out and risk a tear or an injury. Even without injury it would take a while to recover.

I'll probably go for about 30 seconds / mile faster than PMP and focus on the higher goal. What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

Pug, please get her to recommend a pub nearby - I don't care how good such and such a pub is in the suburbs or on the other side of town. We'll be wrecked!
    Will do don't worry. She lives in the city centre about a 2 minute walk from the start line so I kinda doubt she knows many out of the way places anyway ;)
    Moycullen1 wrote:
    Pug, if you are chatting to your sister over the next couple of weeks would you mind asking her for the names of a couple of good Italian restaurants. I am always a bit nervous of hotel recommendations especially when the concierge offers to book a table for you! I have had mixed success with this approach in the past.
    Will do no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

I've entered this also. Been following the pfitzinger 12/55 program. Aiming for 3'15, gonna head out around 7'25 pace and see what happens. 3''22 pb from DCM 09 needs to be beaten at least but my 1'28 half from last september suggests i am capable of it. Training going ok, 7 mile tempo other day in 48 mins and 18 mile LSR yesterday in 2'24. Ryanair friday to monday through eindhoven. No hotel booked yet but have relatives in Hilversum so might stay with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

misty floyd, I'm doing Ballycotton (10 miles) on March 21st. Don't know how to approach it. I don't want to go flat out and risk a tear or an injury. Even without injury it would take a while to recover.

I'll probably go for about 30 seconds / mile faster than PMP and focus on the higher goal. What do you think?

I'm not sure Pete. I'd be thinking it is pretty soon to race all out for the 10m. 30seconds sounds ok to me ? others might say different. Its up to how you think you'd cope really. For my 10m this weekend I'm thinking of running it at 95%. I'll know what I'm made of (if I raced 100% I could take 1min off for example) yet not cross that line of feeling totally fecked after it. Again, thats just my opinion, I'm no expert but I'm gonna do the same as yourself (PMP -30s per mile maybe). If unsure best to be cautious when it doesn't really matter that you don't run 100% effort? As a matter of interest, are you doing much long interval work or tempo at that PMP-30s pace?

As for the splits, again, I'm no expert but the other way around would be better: 1:42/1:38.

I'm not sure Pete. I'd be thinking it is pretty soon to race all out for the 10m. 30seconds sounds ok to me ? others might say different. Its up to how you think you'd cope really. For my 10m this weekend I'm thinking of running it at 95%. I'll know what I'm made of (if I raced 100% I could take 1min off for example) yet not cross that line of feeling totally fecked after it. Again, thats just my opinion, I'm no expert but I'm gonna do the same as yourself (PMP -30s per mile maybe). If unsure best to be cautious when it doesn't really matter that you don't run 100% effort? As a matter of interest, are you doing much long interval work or tempo at that PMP-30s pace?

For a few weeks I wasn't able to do the tempo work - I was upping the mileage and as I was so shagged after the Sunday LSRs my midweek miles were slower too. However, I'm stronger this past two weeks and managed 4 tempo miles last week and 15 tempo miles (a 9 and a 6) in the week just gone
    As for the splits, again, I'm no expert but the other way around would be better: 1:42/1:38.
    Agreed but according to Pfitzinger very few people can run negative splits like that. Uncle Pete reckons this applies at all levels of ability - he says even Gebrsellassie had a positive split for his world record. I reckon I'd have to budget for a crap mile or two at the end. I'm putting a lot of faith in that book for a number of aspects to the training / preparation / tactics so I should probably stay consistent. In my one and only marathon to date I had a fairly hefty +15 (yikes) split at DCM '09 :o

• Advertisement

040...I'll try meet up after race but you know yourself, feeling cold, or wanting to lie down or whatever after the race. Its hard to know a time. Will shower and probably chill at hotel and def head out though.

I probably didnt phrase my suggestion properly. What I was thinking was we all head back to our own hotels seperately after the race (as we will all be finished at different times, so little point in meeting up then), and meet up a few hours later somewhere.

Advertisement