Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine launch Midband Ripwave Replacement - WiMAX

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I have no idea, I'm not even going to pretend that I know all the techy stuff.

But if clearwire are awful (I don't know if they are, never used them), then how in the same spectrum is Imagine able to offer breeze? Which is perfectly good for home and business alike?

Clearwire an abomination of a provider :(

Broadband the American way, i.e craptacular.

port limiting, no connection at all, threatening letters for not paying for something they weren't delivering, clearwire have it all!

Friend had it and just told the bank to stop the direct debit as they are impossible to deal with unless you are signing up :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Why not email Imagine then and ask how they're going to provide something that you seem to imply is impossible?

I did not imply it , I stated it . What is it about Imagines karma that always brings bloody trolls out from under the bridge ???

THEY SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE THE SPECTRUM AT 3.5GHZ (0OOPS)

They do !

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jellies

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They have the same amount of 3.5ghz spectrum in Dublin that Clearwire do and Clearwire are to announce this 4g wimax stuff soon , they have just announced their first 4g wimax rollout in the EU , see

How are Imagine supposed to do a lot better with no more spectrum than Clearwire ...who are utterly dreadful , frankly :(

Clearwire has 35MHz of spectrum in the 3.5GHz band.

Imagine acquired Irish Broadband who had 50MHz (so already 40% more spectrum than Clearwire).

ComReg also recently ran a competition for another 38MHz of 3.5GHz of spectrum in Dublin, Cork, Waterford and Limerick.

88MHz is plenty of spectrum for WiMAX.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I did not imply it , I stated it . What is it about Imagines karma that always brings bloody trolls out from under the bridge ???

THEY SIMPLY DO NOT HAVE THE SPECTRUM AT 3.5GHZ

What is it with people who think they know it all calling others trolls for not agreeing with them?

Sorry man, until and if Imagine FAIL I'm just going to assume they know what they are doing more than you know what they are doing. Which is a safe assumption as far as I'm concerned.

jellies wrote: »
    88MHz is plenty of spectrum for WiMAX.

Yes it is if they have it , cannot find it in the allocations though , have you links ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ENOUGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jellies

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0924.pdf

Yep. Here's the ComReg doc.

Channel A is IBB. E and J is the new ComReg release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Antoh wrote: »
    I am not now or have I ever been working for imagine or any company associated with imagine. I work in a completely different line of work I’m on here just like all of you expressing my views which I have as much a right as you lot. Difference is I’m not as big of an asshole to assume stuff I have no idea about. What I said was from my experience with the product. I’m not bloody advertising anything. I couldn’t care less if anyone got the wimax. As is my connection is one of the best in the country so I won’t be getting it. I just think it’s a good idea that their trying to get broadband around the country. I don’t see any of you guys trying to do anything. If all you can do is sit on your computer and try to make everyone as sad as you then you have a very crap life. If you have never tried something how can you comment on it? Realistically you have no idea otherwise.

Never assume to know what people do or do not do, many of us do not just sit and bitch at our computers all day. Even if we did, the advice we offer here on boards.ie to people all over Ireland is more than enough to make up for it.

I know for a fact that some of the users on here are actively engaged in bringing broadband to people, we even have some ISP owners on here. Right now I am posting this message thanks to the help I got from people on this forum.

You know what the kicker is here, these people do it for free, they give up their time even after they work 14 hour shifts. They give unbiased real world based experience with no marketing spin.

You know what else, they never moan about giving advice, even if the same advice has been given 10000 times before.

I dont think we should feed these trolls any more......

• Registered Users Posts: 48 irishcarbomb2k

Guys,

I do agree that we have very little info on this new infrastructure, Are we positive they are using the 3.5Ghz band, has this been confirmed? I think the website is s*** for information and that pratt is not helping matters talking about how great it is, but on the other hand, should we not wait before we shoot a company down. I agree they have had a terrible reputation in the past but for all we know it could be the answer to our prayers (at least I hope it is.)

People were sceptical when UPC promised high speeds and they are delivering, if slowly on that. The backhaul on the masts could all be linked with fibre from existing infrastructure and have an ability to hold many users. I agree it sounds all too good to be true but what if it is true then we could be eating our words.

I for one am fed up with the state of the nations broadband and slow speeds and believe high speed broadband is as important as the electrification of the country was and really hope that we are all proved wrong and please do not jump on every word, I have no affiliation to any broadband company, just expressing an opinion.

Thanks to Jellies for their link and I fully accept that IBB/Imagine have a large chunk of spectrum around 3.5ghz which improves matters considerably , they have a lot more than any 3g operator has in the 2.1Ghz band for example .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looks like we'll be waiting a little longer for those prices..
    is working really hard so that our pricing is the best in the market so it will be out by the end of next week. But will be worth the wait
    http://twitter.com/imagineeurope/status/4929266879

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭_Kooli_

What kind of a coverage map is that on their website.
    Am i blind or something. I cant tell the difference between coverage and no coverage.

And what about caps.

BB is not much use if its capped to bejaysus

_Kooli_ wrote: »
    Am i blind or something. I cant tell the difference between coverage and no coverage.

And what about caps.

lol yeah I think they read my post an changed it in a hurray :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

_Kooli_ wrote: »

And what about caps.

There's no information about any of that, yet. They have pictures of little masts, giving out signal. Ah, isn't that cute. Nothing real there though. No info on price, caps, minimum speed, different packages or any of that.

To be honest, I think they were very premature in announcing this. They could have at least had their business plan ready before announcing what they are claiming is the answer to Ireland's broadband woes. Which it is not.

jor el wrote: »
    To be honest, I think they were very premature in announcing this. They could have at least had their business plan ready before announcing what they are claiming is the answer to Ireland's broadband woes. Which it is not.

It may be an answer to 3g crap service woes IF they roll out a sufficient density of base stations . Launching with too few base stations attracts those who need a fixed substitute.

On the other hand if you had a massive base station rollout and then went hunting for customers you would get a lot more geuninely mobile or nomadic users ( not fixed) and they would not dog the network as much .

The document Jellies pointed me to indicates that Imagine have a hell of a lot more spectrum in Dublin than anyone else does , Clearwire 3 Voda or O2 , in fact as much spectrum as all of them put together .

A key problem with lack of spectrum is that you cannot reuse it efficiently . Current theory is that nothing really useful can be done without 50mhz of contigous spectrum at least ( and LOTS of base stations)

I cannot find current channel ( ABCDE F G and J) allocations on the Comreg site but I do take Jellies word for it that he/she knows of a large allocation that Imagine recently got ...in the order of 50mhz in parts of Dublin for sure .

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

They don't :(

Breeze is spanking technology.

1. It uses outdoor fixed aerials not tiny indoor dongly yokes .
    2. It runs at 5Ghz+ with clear line of sight ( LOS) and where there is quite a lot of spectrum .

( amended to remove incorrect assumption on Imagine spectrum

Now stop trolling, we KNOW you know nothing and you told us so :)

I've said it once i'll say it again!!!
    Breeze runs at 3.5G outside citys, and yes it needs Los

The Fool wrote: »
    Breeze runs at 3.5G outside citys, and yes it needs Los

I know they have had breeze 3.5ghz gear for years but do they not also run 5ghz gear too in some areas , eg the cities and some other areas ??

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Antoh

If this service really does give what its saying it can then it will be a
    miracle. so far every company has given false hope to consumers, so anyone who is being sceptical of what is on offer has a good point. But if the wimax service can turn out to be half as good as the breeze service then they will have something to offer that we could all benifit from. As for phone service, I for one would be glad not to pay a cent to eircom just to deal with useless customer care reps who don't know what your talking about

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Antoh wrote: »
    I for one would be glad not to pay a cent to eircom just to deal with useless customer care reps who don't know what your talking about[/FONT][/SIZE]

This statement is abit unfounded, out of all the ISP's you'll often find that eircom get alot less complaints then others on this forum.

Sales reps are sales reps and suck no matter the company be in Eircom, BT or Imagine. But there's nothing really to backup the claims that eircom tech support hasn't a clue what their on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Cabaal wrote: »
    eircom get alot less complaints then others on this forum.

Are you serious?,Eircom are the most unhelpful bunch of incompetent people I have ever dealt with and yes I mean that!

Really some people.......

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

BreezeMax is not mobile wimax , it is FIXED wimax , anyway IBB/Imagine promised us that in 2004 and where are we exactly in the rollout ...anybody ??

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2004/10/24/story57473325.asp

I have Breeze Max , They installers could not get line of sight with a standard VL radio and my roof was to steep for them to go up the chimney .

Any way the lads put in what they called a Breeze Max athena, which they said was a new unit for non line of site situations, and it worked perfectly .

When I asked him about the WiMax , he told me Breeze max would be in the middle of there fixed broadband offerings with standard Breeze at the bottom and Wimax at the top.

He also told me it would be a good while before they launched the Wimax service in Newbridge but when up at Tesco's yesterday there was a poster outside of the store that said "Imagine Broadband, Google Wimax"

When I asked him about the WiMax , he told me Breeze max would be in the middle of there fixed broadband offerings with standard Breeze at the bottom and Wimax at the top.

If thats true then it should/could be a good product....

We'll just have to wait and see. Fingers crossed they have a good product. I'd rather that than another fantasy provider.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kev. wrote: »
    Are you serious?,Eircom are the most unhelpful bunch of incompetent people I have ever dealt with and yes I mean that!

Really some people.......

I'm just stating facts, compared to say Three, IBB (in the past) or BT, eircom have farrr less complaints on this forum.

Your welcome to check over the past few years,

There's a different between facts and your personal view that eircom are useless.

Personally I hate eircom and will never get services directly with them but I won't say something thats not reflected by numbers as doing so would not be accurate

Wow. Haven't read the full thread but it seems there's a lot of people unhappy with IBB.

Whilst obviously I can't speak for everyone, and only myself, I've been with them for about three years now and I've never had a problem with them. The connection is always good and consistent, and whenever I'm left without internet (very rarly, probably twice or three times so far this year) it's always back up and running in the space of about half an hour (again, in saying that, could be down for hours, but I never noticed it).

I've also found their Customer services to be very good. I've rang them about six or seven times over the last few years and never had a problem with their tech support (did, however end up wanting to strangle myself when I had to ring non-tech customer service to ask about an upgrade I didn't want that people on here were saying they were just getting automatically. Girl on the phone didn't seem to have a clue what was going on).

So yeah. I'm all for IBB, so long as they leave me alone. As i say i haven't read the whole thread, so I hope this new thingy-ma-bob doesn't affect me at all, but as of right now i have to say I'm very happy with IBB.

I'm sure there was some other reason I came into this thread, though. :confused:

I know they have had breeze 3.5ghz gear for years but do they not also run 5ghz gear too in some areas , eg the cities and some other areas ??

They do indeed, I suppose my point is they can offer breeze at 3.5g and it's considered decent enough broadband. So is it jumping the gun a bit calling there wimax offering midband because it's at 3.5g?

I suppose time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Indeed. I feel "innocent until proven guilty" should be the order of the day, especially with the likely spectrum they have to play with and also the amount of the money being thrown around at it and that IBB appear to have learned the error of their ways already with Breeze and contention isssues.

Wow. Haven't read the full thread but it seems there's a lot of people unhappy with IBB.

Whilst obviously I can't speak for everyone, and only myself, I've been with them for about three years now and I've never had a problem with them. The connection is always good and consistent, and whenever I'm left without internet (very rarly, probably twice or three times so far this year) it's always back up and running in the space of about half an hour (again, in saying that, could be down for hours, but I never noticed it).

I've also found their Customer services to be very good. I've rang them about six or seven times over the last few years and never had a problem with their tech support (did, however end up wanting to strangle myself when I had to ring non-tech customer service to ask about an upgrade I didn't want that people on here were saying they were just getting automatically. Girl on the phone didn't seem to have a clue what was going on).

So yeah. I'm all for IBB, so long as they leave me alone. As i say i haven't read the whole thread, so I hope this new thingy-ma-bob doesn't affect me at all, but as of right now i have to say I'm very happy with IBB.

I had great service from them about a year and a half ago when I stopped using it. Had it for a year.

I loved the service but it started going downhill just before I moved out of the house and just before Imagine bought them. I know someone else who had Imagine and wasn't happy at all but don't know what service he was on. He was in the Clonsilla area.

• Advertisement

Just got off the phone to imagine

nice girl,said that the rumour is the packages will be 8 mb,only a rumour though

She said it`ll be 2 weeks before it gets installed

As a happy breeze customer I am very hopeful that this package will meet peoples needs and requirements,

I have never had an issue with Imagine and personally think they are a great service who provide good customer support,

Plus to add I hope this service blows Eircom out of the water and people get the broadband package that they pay for

Advertisement