Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin: Sundays 6pm pickup game, all welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Not tonight. sick at the moment! be there next sunday most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Focalbhach

Sigh. After taking a note of directions to Sportsco from the train station, I think I took a wrong turn at the first opportunity and ended up walking back the direction I had come. By the time I figured out where I was (I don't know that part of the city at all), it was 6 and would've taken me too long to retrace my steps to be worthwhile.

Hence, I am now back at home while you all play basketball. Time for a beer!

Time for a beer eh? You would've fit right in tonight...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Leto wrote: »
    Sigh. After taking a note of directions to Sportsco from the train station, I think I took a wrong turn at the first opportunity and ended up walking back the direction I had come. By the time I figured out where I was (I don't know that part of the city at all), it was 6 and would've taken me too long to retrace my steps to be worthwhile.

Hence, I am now back at home while you all play basketball. Time for a beer!

Sorry to hear that, Leto :(

If needed next week, feel free to meet up with one of us in town/wherever, a good chunk of us get the bus from O'Connell Street. Or if you're getting the DART from some place else, phone numbers can be exchanged to provide directions as necessary. It was a good game tonight, pity you missed it. Don't let it get you down :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭shivvyban

Mixed basketball
    All fitness & skill levels welcome

This Sunday 24th Jan at the Sportsco Gym in Ringsend, 6pm – 7pm
    No 2&3 bus from O’Connell st or a 25min walk from Dublin city centre
    I can meet up with anyone unsure of how to get there on O'Connell st. PM for contact details.

Last night went really well... turnout of 11! Looks like our numbers are consistant - rock on!

No injuries makes Shivvy a happy bunny!

Sorry to hear that, Leto :(

If needed next week, feel free to meet up with one of us in town/wherever, a good chunk of us get the bus from O'Connell Street. Or if you're getting the DART from some place else, phone numbers can be exchanged to provide directions as necessary. It was a good game tonight, pity you missed it. Don't let it get you down :)

No worries, I'm not too traumatised :)

I've PMed shivvy about meeting up with you on O'Connell St. next Sunday. I'm coming from Drumcondra so I could probably hop on the 3 there, but I think first time round it'd be safer to join up first!

Leto wrote: »
    No worries, I'm not too traumatised :)

I've PMed shivvy about meeting up with you on O'Connell St. next Sunday. I'm coming from Drumcondra so I could probably hop on the 3 there, but I think first time round it'd be safer to join up first!

Reply sent ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Wreckreational

I'm wondering if you're interested in taking on a [relative] beginner?! I have been looking around various places on the internet and am at a loss.
    I have recently become obsessed with basketball having been at my first live Eurocup game a week ago but the game in Ireland seems a mystery to me. Most of the clubs dont seem too interested in taking new players - which I completely understand as there are only so many spots on teams available! I have heard Templeogue D5 are quite welcoming but before I commit to joining a team, I would like to get some practise in.
    I'm not a stranger to basketball - I know most all the rules but I'm [very!] hazy on rules concerning the contact area, ie, charging etc. I havent played competitively before and my shooting is on the dire side of suspect but I'm a decent athlete, so I wont be a MAJOR annoyance in the game.
    If you're willing to include me let me know and I'll do my best to get there. If not, no problem.

just an edit, my obsession was building before the Eurocup game!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

most of us are beginners, some are new to the game, some are very unfit (me!), so you are more than welcome to come along next Sunday. We don't take it too seriously at all, there's no complaining or stuff like that, we don't usually even keep score!

Location is here.
    Some people take the No 2&3 bus from O’Connell st, starts at 6pm, cost 7euro for the hour. Hope to see you there next Sunday.
    I'm wondering if you're interested in taking on a [relative] beginner?! I have been looking around various places on the internet and am at a loss.
    I have recently become obsessed with basketball having been at my first live Eurocup game a week ago but the game in Ireland seems a mystery to me. Most of the clubs dont seem too interested in taking new players - which I completely understand as there are only so many spots on teams available! I have heard Templeogue D5 are quite welcoming but before I commit to joining a team, I would like to get some practise in.
    I'm not a stranger to basketball - I know most all the rules but I'm [very!] hazy on rules concerning the contact area, ie, charging etc. I havent played competitively before and my shooting is on the dire side of suspect but I'm a decent athlete, so I wont be a MAJOR annoyance in the game.
    If you're willing to include me let me know and I'll do my best to get there. If not, no problem.

just an edit, my obsession was building before the Eurocup game!

I have been looking around various places on the internet and am at a loss.
    Most of the clubs dont seem too interested in taking new players - which I completely understand as there are only so many spots on teams available!

Must clubs are pretty well established at this stage. the irish season is from august (pre season training) to march for most teams so they usually dont take many new players after end of sept. Sucks but tis the way things seem to operate. There is also very few groups established enough to just turn up and play with for fun in ireland as well. Shivyban has set something up that seems to be working a charm and attracting alot of attention. Worth going along to for either just fun or to get a handle on holding a basketball again.

I have heard Templeogue D5 are quite welcoming but before I commit to joining a team, I would like to get some practise in.

Templeogue are one of the few clubs that have a team that are only in it for the craic. the D5 team are a good bunch of lads, huge age range, would guess at the oldest been close to 55! If your close to the club then they would definitely be a good starting point to getting back into basketball seriously, as they have d3 and d1 teams plus are linked to the super league team Shamrock Hoops.
    I'm not a stranger to basketball - I know most all the rules but I'm [very!] hazy on rules concerning the contact area, ie, charging etc.

As for the rules well this link might help you if you want to go through it. http://www.nba.com/videorulebook/ Gives you a full run down on all the rules and videos to demonstrate what you should and shouldnt do.

My, my Nialo! Aren't you feeling helpful today? Will you be around on sunday?

Wreckreational, definitely come along and check us out. Its worth a shot and if its not the kind of thing you're looking for, no harm, no foul!

We'll pull you up on the charging... I have been the victim of many a charge, eh TimeMagazine! :rolleyes:

We're not overly strict on the people who haven't really played before but for fouls and obvious flaunting of the rules, I will call you on it ;)

PM me if you want to meet up and come along with me on Sunday (in case you don't know your way) - I'm meeting Leto on O'Connell st at around 5:15pm, is that suits you. :)

Meh! helpful and bored in work ran side by side i think! :) and yup ill be along sunday!

nialo wrote: »
    Meh! helpful and bored in work ran side by side i think! :) and yup ill be along sunday!

Excellent! Its been a while, boy! We'll whoop you back into shape...

I gotta stop channelling my ghetto side! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Wreckreational

ok, thanks for the replies.
    I'll be there this Sunday for sure, it sounds exactly what I want. I'll brush up on the rules as well, thanks for that! I should be able to find the place easily enough, I used to use a gym in Ringsend - though not Sportsco - so I'm familiar enough with the area.
    Also, thanks for the info re Irish basketball.
    I'll see you all this Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

see you all this sunday will be away on hols the 7th (dublin v kerry down home ) back on the 8th anyone heading down to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 scottie p

Mixed basketball

This Sunday 24th Jan at the Sportsco Gym in Ringsend, 6pm – 7pm

I can meet up with anyone unsure of how to get there on O'Connell st. PM for contact details.

Can't make it this week folks I'm afraid so no repeat of that sensational basket from last week sorry.

Villain I might be headed down south that weekend and may head to Kerry for the game so I may see ya there

good stuff there a few i know from boards also heading down aswell should see you weekend beftroe the kerry game heading on the monday morn for a weeks break

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Plenty of new faces tonight.

we have booked the court for next week.

the usual time.

Cheers

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Plenty of new faces tonight.

we have booked the court for next week.

the usual time.

Cheers

Paul
    I think it's been the most energetic and tiring Sunday session so far, or else I'm getting more unfit, instead of fitter.

I definitely thought that playing 2 half court games was a good idea. With only an hour of time, it's good not to have anyone sitting on the sidelines. WP Enda!

you could add a bit of complexity to the games if you wanted. Split ppl up into groups of 3 or 4. play half court, up to 3 baskets then rotate. first to three stays where they are! losing team goes to the side or other end of the court depending on the numbers.. 4 groups everyone keeps play. 5 groups one gets a break in between games if you lose!

yes i didnt make it cause i forgot and spent sunday drunk! id say drinking but seemed like i was drunk from the get go! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

villains77 wrote: »
    see you all this sunday will be away on hols the 7th (dublin v kerry down home ) back on the 8th anyone heading down to it?

Im hopeing to head home for it, Kerry by 17 (AGAIN) : )

good game last night great to see a few new faces every week

lafortezza wrote: »
    I think it's been the most energetic and tiring Sunday session so far, or else I'm getting more unfit, instead of fitter.

I'm glad it wasn't just me! Definitely enjoyed that - I'll see yiz next week.

Hey guys!

SHIVVYBAN here - now as shivster! Not arsed waiting around to see if I can get a password with a different email, etc! PM's re the game to here! :)

I'll be back on Sunday!

yes i didnt make it cause i forgot and spent sunday drunk! id say drinking but seemed like i was drunk from the get go! :)

I am starting to lose faith in you, nialo!! I hurt... I hurt so bad...

Mixed basketball
    This Sunday 31st Jan at the Sportsco Gym in Ringsend, 6pm – 7pm

Feel free to PM me for details! I can meet people who unsure of the way on O'Connell st or if comeing from the northside at the DCU bus stop.

You had faith! im shocked! :)

Yes, faith in the God that is Nialo... have now become an atheist after this most recent let down! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

Image0574.jpg