Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

They have what is called a downside which is a guarantee of sorts. As someone said elsewhere video game money and the Mania paycheck is a big part of your pay - Kevin Nash said he was on something like $500 a week at one point and until you got the Mania check you couldn't plan your year financially. Then there's house show dates/appearances, home video royalties and merch money as well. Afaik PPV pay was never a scientific method but rather allocated based on your position on the card etc. JTG who hasn't been on TV in ages shows up to TV, does nothing, goes home, gets paid his basic downside and likely little else as he's not on TV or promoted in anyway.

Jim Ross spoke about this in detail on a podcast recently. Can't remember which one though, either PWTorch or The LAW. (think it was the former).
    gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Everyone gets a guaranteed amount assuming they meet certain criteria. Anything after that is extra depending on how many dates you work, merchandise sales etc. Punk, for example, apparently filled his criteria and as such was able to leave without being sued.

Ah right, the whole network thing must be causing some waves with that if ppv buys wont factor as much into payoffs for big events. Must be a handy number for guys that creative have nothing to do with just arrive get paid to sit backstage and go home, must be expensive travelling around for that though you'd wonder why they'd bother, at least try come up with something on your own to get over like Zack Ryder did for some exposure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This has probably been posted but my god is it heartwrenching stuff

Connor was the young boy who made Bryan tap out and he died from cancer recently. Really lovely tribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Its very moving stuff indeed, bravo to all involved who made Mania special for him, made Bryan tap out and squashed Trips, not many will do that.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

In between coming up with plots to bury Daniel Bryan WWE does wonderful things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

According to Shawn Michaels talking on JR's show, the decision to end the streak was made by Vince four hours before WM30.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_78237.shtml#.U2nNL1fDu5g
    Shawn Michaels revealed on Jim Ross's podcast that the decision to end The Undertaker's undefeated WrestleMania streak was made about four hours before WrestleMania 30.

Michaels said at the end of the day, the decision came down to Vince McMahon.

"Everybody was stunned," Michaels said about watching the Taker vs. Brock Lesnar match result. "You know as well as I do that one person and one person alone makes that call. As much as everyone wants to think other people have some say-so in that, they don't (laughs). I was stunned like a lot of people. I was there when it all happened. I know what happened... I make the calls around here in my house; that's the way things go."

"I'm sure in Vince's mind, he's got a reason," he added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 lolzker

Wrestling News World Reports:
    - While Daniel Bryan is known for keeping his mouth shut in most situations, we’re told even he questioned the logic of him “running scared” of Kane on this week’s Raw. The booking was greeted with an overwhelming degree of pessimism with one observer commenting, “if this is Hunter’s way of slowly killing Bryan’s momentum, it’s working.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Connor was the young boy who made Bryan tap out and he died from cancer recently. Really lovely tribute.

Cried like a child with a smacked arse watching that this morning, heart breaking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

The huge news from this weeks Observer is that Lana and Rusev are dating.

Also this:
    There was a physical altercation at TV last week between Stephen Farrelly (Sheamus) and Jorge Arias (Sin Cara). Not sure of details past that Arias got the better of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

^^^^^^

Wasn't Sheamus once in an altercation with Yoshi Tatsu and Yoshi got the better of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Looks like Rey Mysterio will be given a new contract!
    He was reportedly offered a deal to be somewhat of an ambassador for the company, particularly in Spanish language markets, as well as the opportunity to still wrestle part time.

While Mysterio’s future with the company is still uncertain, Vince McMahon does want to keep him on board.

http://www.sescoops.com/rey-mysterio-receives-special-offer-wwe-re-sign-company/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

jamc wrote: »

So does this give new meaning to ''Rusev Crush'' :pac:
    *GRABS COAT & HEADS FOR DOOR*
    (I know i couldn't have been the only one thinking it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

^^^^^^

Wasn't Sheamus once in an altercation with Yoshi Tatsu and Yoshi got the better of that?

Yeah I think it was over a protein shaker or something like that when they shared a house in Florida. Think Randy Orton told the story when he was on that radio show in Phoenix, Arizona that Punk was on before too.

Look whose been booked:
    Dennis Stamp, 67, who beat cancer which he was told was terminal, will be taking his first booking since 1996 (when he refereed the Bret Hart vs. Terry Funk match chronicled in the movie “Beyond the Mat”) when he does a show on 8/30 in Dundee, Scotland. Stamp has gained some popularity in that country as he’s been a weekly phone guest on Scotland’s One Wrestling show, telling stories about his career. Stamp was a state high school champion in Minnesota, who placed 6th in the NAIA national championships from Concordia College in 1968. He turned pro and was a well respected journeyman who did some police work for circuits. He did well in a number of territories, most notably in places like California, Texas, Oklahoma and British Columbia. His best success was working for the Funks in Amarillo, and he ended up settling in the city. During the 80s, he was regular enhancement talent on both AWA and WWF television shows before largely retiring in 1988.

LBJEG7w.gif

What an absolute legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭colmufc

not sure if this is new news I thi k they have been going out for months

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭colmufc

not sure if this is new news I thi k they have been going out for months

The latest chapter in David Benoit's quest to follow in his Dad's footsteps from the Wrestling Observer:
    The pro wrestling debut of David Benoit, the son of Chris, scheduled for July in Calgary is now unlikely to happen. Benoit & Chavo Guerrero Jr. (As noted, probably Chris’ closest friend at the time of his death) were supposed to team. David Benoit has flirted with the idea of wrestling but has never formally trained. Smith Hart, the oldest son of Stu, was trying to convince him to do the show thinking it would garner attention and help draw. After word got out, Chris Jericho, who has known David for years and I believe he and Harry Smith were among the few in wrestling to keep in contract with him over the last seven years, contacted the promotion and was furious about them advertising David in a match, saying he hadn’t been sufficiently trained to do a match. Chavo then canceled his booking. It appears that David Benoit’s booking has also been canceled. Smith Hart had told Chavo that David had experience wrestling and would be okay. Smith Hart then told Jericho that they were never planning on David wrestling, just doing an angle with him, although when we got the word, it was David & Chavo. Smith Hart then called David Benoit and said he wanted him in a match and tried to convince him he could get through with it without training and that it wasn’t going to be that difficult. David Benoit had asked HHH and William Regal about becoming a wrestler years ago. They told him they wanted him to finish high school and also felt Lance Storm in Calgary was the best person in the area to train him. Benoit had enrolled in several training camps, but never showed up on the first day, so he was never trained. Apparently Chavo was first told by Smith Hart that David was fully trained and ready to debut, so Chavo agreed to team with him, until he found out that wasn’t the case. Jericho, who has always tried to look out for David, was really mad and tried to get the match stopped. Dan Severn vs. Harry Smith was also to be on the show. The original idea was to get Kurt Angle to wrestle Harry Smith, but Kurt’s body is banged up and he doesn’t want to take any dates outside of TNA right now. Severn then canceled and it’s possible Harry Smith won’t be able to work because the show may be on the day he has to fly to Japan for the G-1 Climax tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

David Benoit has flirted with the idea of wrestling but has never formally trained. Smith Hart, the oldest son of Stu, was trying to convince him to do the show thinking it would garner attention and help draw.

You stay classy, Smith Hart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

rovert wrote: »
    Look whose been booked:

LBJEG7w.gif

I want a trampoline match

BiexI_zCYAAf2JJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

**** sake Smith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

a well respected journeyman who did some police work for circuits

Is that actual police work, or just a term I never heard before?

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    Is that actual police work, or just a term I never heard before?

An old. old term for locker room hard man who would sort out issues. The famous modern story os of The Undertaker wrapping his fists up and telling Shawn Michaels backstage at Wrestlemania 14 if he didn't do as planned (lose to Austin) there would be trouble.

Policemen were around more in the like the pre-1980s era when things were more outlaw. The NWA put their title on Lou Thesz for forever as he was a legitimate tough guy who would be never double crossed in the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ape Lincoln

There was a great piece of Mae Young in FSM a while ago. She was a "policeman" for Billy Wolfe husband/manager of women's world champion Mildred Burke:
    ... meaning that she ousted potential dangers, scouted talent, supervised tryouts and trained numerous hopefuls.

Brock Lesnar would be in that role today if the NWA territory system was still in place and kayfabe hadn't been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

We talked about the whole Batista/DB situation on the podcast and we agreed something didn't quite add up about it.
    Prowrestling.net notes that recent reports indicating that Batista didn't want to put over Daniel Bryan at WWE Payback due to his size are incorrect.

A source close to the situation said the following in response to those reports:

"WWE wants that story out, but it's all twisted. (Batista) would do five jobs for Bryan. They've f---ed him in money, booking, broken promises (relating to his) schedule, and promoting his (outside projects). Had that not happened, he would be around until late June, but because Vince (McMahon) f---ed him, he's not, so they dragged Daniel Bryan into this to vilify Batista. Daniel is beloved and a martyr so he benefits, but it has nothing to do with jobbing. They've twisted. It's classic Vince. Look at Ultimate Warrior and SummerSlam, Bret Hart in Montreal. (Vince) puts out his narrative. There are always two sides."
    Word is that the situation remains in doubt and Vince McMahon is now more involved in trying to work things out with Batista. There is o official word on how long Batista intends on working for WWE before taking time off.

Regarding why Bryan vs. Batista was not booked if Batista is sticking around through Payback, it was said that the feeling is Bryan vs. Batista should be a multi pay-per-view feud and that was unlikely because of Batista needing time off to promote Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy.

As Court Bauer and others have said this week. Batista put over/worked with your Guerreros and Mysterios.

Yeah exactly, he's always jobbed when he's been asked through his career.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Only instances I can think of (that speak badly of Batista): throwing a strop over his WM match with Umaga, Hunter beating Booker T to defend his backstage honour, and not putting Jericho over properly (Jericho won it in a scramble match, lost to batista clean, won via cage match). But I wouldn't call any of that a problem really. On-screen since his return he's been a trooper being pushed aside. Just wish he was feuding with Bryan now, not Kane.

Yeah I mean you can definitely call him out on his poor ring condition but otherwise I have little to complain about. Did the clean job to DB and to Reigns.

The triple threat at WM was awesome and the 6 man tag at ER was great too. He had his moments in both matches despite his shortcomings.

More on David Benoit and this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90290875&postcount=7278

He only lasted two weeks at Lance Storm's school until "things came up."

• Advertisement

Meltzer seems to think WWE has resigned with NBC/Universal and we may known on Thursday:
    http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2014/5/11/5707194/wwe-rumored-to-have-re-signed-with-nbcuniversal-announcement-likely

The value of which will have major implications on the stock price, WWE's strategy and million other things on a knock on basis.

Good news for TNA if true as Spike won't be giving them the boot for WWE at least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement