Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some of Todays Wrestling News and Rumours (Possible spoilers) ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭x43r0

Aside from the fact that a contract like that would be a stupid thing to drop a grand on, the item for sale there is a bloody photocopy! :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Survivor Series TANKED year on year.

2012 was 212,000 buys total, 122,000 domestic & 90,000 international.

2013 was 179,000 buys total, 95,000 domestic & 84,000 international.

This year's show was Orton vs Big Show. This week they taped a bunch of TV for the coming 2 weeks. On the New Years Raw they had Big Show dress up as the New Year Baby. Worked off their frustrations maybe?

BbvfPzVIIAAQLW2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Wait, does that mean the Big Show isn't a bigger draw than Daniel Bryan?!

Wait, does that mean the Big Show isn't a bigger draw than Daniel Bryan?!

The crying, career headlining yet in arrears, elderly man punching Big Show was not a draw no.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

We've seen Batista vs Orton/Punk/HHH/Cena/Lesnar/Bryan before,and Lesnar has wrestled all the big hitters too.

Would be cool to see Brock and Batista as a one off spectacle.

Lesnar vs Batista would be like Lesnar vs Goldberg. Nobody benefits so neither man cares.

Lesnar vs Bryan is the best way to go. Unlike Punk, Bryan is good enough technically to be able to gain the upper hand and believably win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

So Big Show goes from being a crybaby, to be a rebel hell-raiser, to being an actual baby? How does WWE expect us to take this guy seriously when they don't even take him seriously.

Show would be better suited to putting over rising stars. He's booked strong enough over the years, to at least do that and give someone a rub I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

rovert wrote: »
    The crying, career headlining yet in arrears, elderly man punching Big Show was not a draw no.

Wut about his quarterly hour ratings and Smyths toy sales

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

rovert wrote: »
    Survivor Series TANKED year on year.

2012 was 212,000 buys total, 122,000 domestic & 90,000 international.

2013 was 179,000 buys total, 95,000 domestic & 84,000 international.

This year's show was Orton vs Big Show. This week they taped a bunch of TV for the coming 2 weeks. On the New Years Raw they had Big Show dress up as the New Year Baby. Worked off their frustrations maybe?

]

Its frightening the drop in numbers this PPV has had, amusing to think in 2011 they were so unhappy with doing 280 000 buys they buried Miz, this is so much worse.

Show isn't a draw, but to be fair their booking of this and so many recent PPV's vas been abysmal, they literally have not tried, content to milk the hardcore who buy any old tat. I mean Cena v ADR and Cena/Bryan v rednecks was the only known matches until the last raw!

Suppose they haven't considered the mere possibility that Orton can't draw flies to ****?:P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Orton is a really good raw or Smackdown wrestler but his matches tend to lack any real sense of drama or importance so I don't think many would pay to see him.

They needed to make him the hated one so that people want to see him get beaten but the authority overshadow him too much and it's HHH people want to see get his comeuppance.

Didn't Orton see ratings suffer while he was on Smackdown as champ as well?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Orton is a really good raw or Smackdown wrestler but his matches tend to lack any real sense of drama or importance so I don't think many would pay to see him.

They needed to make him the hated one so that people want to see him get beaten but the authority overshadow him too much and it's HHH people want to see get his comeuppance.

Yeah he was sent to Smackdown to pick up business but he did **** all. henry and even Christian drew better numbers when they were champion.

• Advertisement

DM-ICE wrote: »

More attendance than ratings but yeah couldn't carry the Smackdown brand.

Edit: What Rjd2 said. However some people argument that all or part of the ratings increase was Superstars and NXT being cancelled on US TV. So viewers hadn't had their Wrestling fix for the week yet by the time Smackdown rolled around.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The 2013 Series number is just a first estimate right? It's only been a few weeks and estimates can vary wildly. The problem with estimates is nobody cares when the actual number comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Apparently these were proposed WWE Network logos.

wwe-logos.jpg

They went with the bottom right one.

Wwenetworklogo.png

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Yeah he was sent to Smackdown to pick up business but he did **** all. henry and even Christian drew better numbers when they were champion.

Tbh he feuded with them most of the time when they had the title. I'd rate him above Cena comfortably as a worker too.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Tbh he feuded with them most of the time when they had the title. I'd rate him above Cena comfortably as a worker too.

henry drew bigger numbers without Orton although he has always moved numbers.

better worker than Cena? Not sure, Cena has much more better matches than him and his chemistry with Bryan, Punk and Edge to name a few was always better than Ortons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Orton's a better worker but he hasn't found very many feuds that've clicked very well.... it's weird.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    henry drew bigger numbers without Orton although he has always moved numbers.

better worker than Cena? Not sure, Cena has much more better matches than him and his chemistry with Bryan, Punk and Edge to name a few was always better than Ortons.

Henry always moved numbers? Okay....
    Orton has had good matches with Punk & Bryan too(as have a LOT of wrestlers) and had a good feud with Edge for the IC(don't ever remember them wrestling since, bar that match where Orton popped his shoulder punching the mat). Christian was closest to him finding his rival that he will be remembered for, he's always had consistancy but never had that defining rivalry. Saying Henry or Christian(who I am a big fan of) are bigger draws based on the consistently average Smackdown ratings is ludicrous tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Orton's a better worker but he hasn't found very many feuds that've clicked very well.... it's weird.

Surely the better worker has the better matches?

I cant think of many great matches from Orton in the last ten years, but can think of quite a few for Cena.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

When ever I think of brilliant Orton matches (Besides this past Monday night), his match against Foley jumps straight to my mind. Then I have to have a serious think about other matches. With Cena, I can think of quite a number of brilliant matches from the past few years without having to go as far back as I do with Orton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭kksaints

When ever I think of brilliant Orton matches (Besides this past Monday night), his match against Foley jumps straight to my mind. Then I have to have a serious think about other matches. With Cena, I can think of quite a number of brilliant matches from the past few years without having to go as far back as I do with Orton.

His feud with Christian in 2011 had some very good matches. Its just a shame that Orton dominated it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Problem with Survivor Series is they only booked the two title matches about a week-10 days away from the show.Surely thats more to blame then any other wrestler being a draw or not.

Problem with Survivor Series is they only booked the two title matches about a week-10 days away from the show.Surely thats more to blame then any other wrestler being a draw or not.

Nobody wanted the matches either. As was said on here many, many times around the PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

From PWTorch
    WCW nostalgia continues to drive WWE DVD sales, according to WWE's latest monthly business figures released Thursday.

Of DVDs released in the past nine months, WrestleMania 29 continues to lead the way with 174,000 units shipped. Trailing Mania is the #2-ranked Goldberg "Ultimate Collection" DVD, which has tallied 86,000 units shipped. Last month, Goldberg sat at #3 with 74,000 units shipped in its first month.

The "Best of WCW Monday Nitro Vol. 2" was at #2 with 121,000 units shipped, but it has been removed from WWE's nine-month list.

Ranked #3 is the "WCW War Games" release with 80,000 units shipped. If counting the Nitro DVD, then WCW-themed DVDs would have the #2, 3, and 4 spots on the list.

WCW will never die, brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

I'd imagine the gapping between the PPVs didn't help either. Night of Champions, Battleground, Hell in a Cell and Survivor Series all happened within a 10 week period. Not only is that a bit much but it's also really really expensive in America. Of course everybody figured the main event would be poor and that's the main reason for low buy rates but I do think WWE could stop with the PPV overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Orton had some good feuds with HHH & Cena in the past as well. Also, with the Undertaker. I think the problem is, there isn't really anyone on the roster who he currently clicks with. Whether this is down to his rigidity, laziness or inability to adapt, I'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

What makes me sad is how WWE is profiting from WCW and it's demise. That's like someone profiting from copying someone else's art and selling it as your own. I mean sure they own the rights now and all, but it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Kind've like when WWE brought back ECW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭SimonQuinlank

Pity they didn't reboot WCW instead of ECW back in 06.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

This Orton thing might be worth it's one thread. Orton has good matches on a highly regular basis. However Cena clicks with the audience far more and results in more memorable matches and feuds even if he wrestles less.

Charisteas wrote: »
    From PWTorch

Hardly a shock as they rarely produce Dvds for newer talent & its been an average year for WWE DVDs compared to last few years.
    Pity they didn't reboot WCW instead of ECW back in 06.
    That was the initial idea when they bought WcW; to make Nitro a brand show and have Raw & Nitro instead of Raw & Smackdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Charisteas wrote: »
    From PWTorch

Still think WWE are missing a trick by not doing a War Games style PPV.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement