Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I tell the Gardai?

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

droidus wrote: »
    Complaint to Dublin Bus, this will also be the basis for my staement to the Guards:
    Good clear letter - the fact that he tried to cover his face is almost an admission of guilt. And it's pretty foolish, as once you have the bus reg, they will know who was driving anyway.

Definitely report this one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The drivers seems like they could be in the wrong regardless, but to be clear on this, there are no legal cycle lanes on most of the Finglas Road.

As the response from Dublin City Council's Quality Bus Network Office to me below shows:
    Our Ref: AIE/10/10
    29th April 2010

Re: Request for Access of Information under Directive 2003/4/EC
    No. AIE/10/10

Dear Sir,

I refer to your request which you have made in accordance with the Access to Information under Directive 2003/4/EC and the Access to Information on the Environment Regulations 2007, relating to signs erected by the Quality Bus Network Office.

The response from the QBN Project Office is as follows;

The provision of all road signs and lines is set out and governed by the Road Traffic Act. Approved signs for bus lanes are contained in Chapter 5 of the Traffic Signs Manual - Department of Environment.

Generally the placing of traffic signs is a statutory function, regulated by the appropriate local authority. Dublin City Council prepares statutory requests for signs within their functional area. QBC proposals including signage are presented to the elected members at Dublin City Council Area Committee Meetings and a period of consultation is undertaken. Signs are provided under Section 37 of the Road Traffic Act as an executive function.

Generally the QBN designs indicate the statutory sign number to be erected at each location. An example of a Quality Bus Corridor detailed design drawing indicating the recommended signs is attached.

QBN schemes are audited during the design process and post-construction and errors with signage would typically be identified during this process.

The 3 signs shown in the pictures do not appear to be compliant with the Traffic Signs Manual.

The example signs I sent them are:

144139.jpg

144140.jpg

144141.jpg

The bus lane signs may have been replaced after my request as they have been elsewhere, but even if they have been it shows that the bus lane allows cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Great Monument, thank you. Even when you know you're in the right, theres always doubt about whether you may have done something to cause the problem in these kind of situations, and a written declaration that the signage is illegal from DCC themselves is a very useful resource.

Also - btw, Ive been very wary of this kind of thing happening on the N2 since reading this thread last year, and I usually do my best to avoid buses on this stretch - either letting them pass before I dismount the cycle lane, or making sure Im far enough ahead to make the run without the possibility of confrontation, and I can definitely say that reading the accounts here was a great help in being aware of the dangers of lunatic bus drivers and also knowing how to react when they try and kill you - so thanks to you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

markpb wrote: »
    If you report it to traffic watch, they'll take your details and fax them to the station which covers the area that the incident took place in. Depending on what else is going on, it might take some time before they look into it and ask you to come in and make a statement.

I wouldn't be holding my breath for a call from TW. I reported an incident on 15th Novemebr and I've heard nothing.

I rang them a couple of weeks later and they said it's probably being investigated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭droidus

Mr Magners wrote: »
    I wouldn't be holding my breath for a call from TW. I reported an incident on 15th Novemebr and I've heard nothing.

I rang them a couple of weeks later and they said it's probably being investigated!

Spoke to them there they said it sounded very serious and they would be reporting it to Finglas Gardai station and would I be prepared to make a statement. I also pointed out that the CCTV would be deleted unless a request was made within 48 hours. Hopefully Ill see some response soon. Im also going to ring DB and ask them to keep the CCTV and record the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭buffalo

Mr Magners wrote: »

It does take time, but in my experience they get to it eventually. And they take it seriously too. I've an outstanding incident with a motorist that I know they're investigating, though it's been over a week since I reported it and I've heard nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

buffalo wrote: »
    It does take time, but in my experience they get to it eventually. And they take it seriously too. I've an outstanding incident with a motorist that I know they're investigating, though it's been over a week since I reported it and I've heard nothing.

I was told it was being investigated too and I told them at the time I was willing to pursue the matter but nothing since.

I posted the incident here...http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69046691#post69046691

Sorry OP for taking this OT.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭FatSh!te

This might be of interest - extract on Bus Lane Regulatory signs from the Traffic Signs Manual.

Advertisement