Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Tebow

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I think all the stats are trying to say is - well if these 6 guys were deemed worthy of the overall 1st pick, why not tebow.

Thing is we all know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3171_A_tale_of_six_quarterbacks.html

I'll just leave this lying here.

I for one don't get what the whole thing about his "mechanics" are. He threw the ball the same bleedin way in college and look at the numbers he put up. The guy won a Heisman Trophy and two national titles, you don't get that for standing around holding your d!ck so he's obviously doing something right. And even if you go back to the old line of sucess in college ball doesn't mean sucess in pro ball, big woopdy doo. Wait until he's playing pro until you can say wheter he is going to bust or boom.

Instead of throwing silly numbers at us google the the Tebow and mechanics and do some research as it is quite evident from your post you don't understand the importance of good mechanics or football. What you are basically saying that Excellent numbers in college = excellent NFL Career, JeMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf will beg to differ and mad part about them they possess good mechanics but bad attitudes.

Tebow's whole NFL career depends on him fixing his footwork and more important how high he holds the football and works on that quick release from a pro formation. If he fails to fix them he will be mince meat. The Pro's are the Pro's for a reason. They are bigger faster and I can guarantee Tebow current style will suffer if he doesn't adjust.

At the end of it all whether we all hate or like Tebow I think there is a part of us all who watch college football want to see him perfect himself enough to play in the NFL. Because after all he gave us a great spectacle in College football. Watching Florida was a joy again whether you liked them or hated them.

He get fixed and lands on a team wiling to work with him and perfect him well then we will see something special from him because he has the right attitude unlike Leaf or Russell.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭DonkeyPokerTour

What you are basically saying that Excellent numbers in college = excellent NFL Career, JeMarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf will beg to differ and mad part about them they possess good mechanics but bad attitudes.

Well Its 100% certain that Tebow doesn't have a bad attitude, the guy wants to work and work and work and then work some more on getting better.
    Tebow's whole NFL career depends on him fixing his footwork and more important how high he holds the football and works on that quick release from a pro formation. If he fails to fix them he will be mince meat. The Pro's are the Pro's for a reason. They are bigger faster and I can guarantee Tebow current style will suffer if he doesn't adjust.

Agreed 100%, if he fixes his action he will probably be one of the best Pro QB's ever, simply because I think he has that inate ability to get people to litterally die for him. He seemed to have it at florida, so no reason to assume he can't bring it to the nfl.
    At the end of it all whether we all hate or like Tebow I think there is a part of us all who watch college football want to see him perfect himself enough to play in the NFL. Because after all he gave us a great spectacle in College football. Watching Florida was a joy again whether you liked them or hated them.

True again!
    He get fixed and lands on a team wiling to work with him and perfect him well then we will see something special from him because he has the right attitude unlike Leaf or Russell.

Agreed, as I said above all Tebow wants to do is work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

What I find interesting about Tebow is that he can make such great improvements in 6 weeks but the criticisms of his game are long held. Why now look at it? Whatever about wanting to win championships, he also is talanted enough to go to the pros and do well. Its nothing to do with work rate but imo looks terrible on Florida that their QB came out as a senior and no real work was done on these things. If I was a young QB I'd steer clear of Florida tbh.

themont85 wrote: »
    What I find interesting about Tebow is that he can make such great improvements in 6 weeks but the criticisms of his game are long held. Why now look at it? Whatever about wanting to win championships, he also is talanted enough to go to the pros and do well. Its nothing to do with work rate but imo looks terrible on Florida that their QB came out as a senior and no real work was done on these things. If I was a young QB I'd steer clear of Florida tbh.

But Tebow and the Florida coaching staff both came out and said Urban Meyers worked with Tebow. And Tebow said Meyers was not at fault.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d816a76be&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true
    The Florida quarterback vigorously defended his college coach Sunday at the NFL Scouting Combine amid rumblings that Meyer chose winning over adjusting Tebow's throwing motion to make it NFL-ready.
    2010 NFL Scouting Combine

"To defend coach Meyer and to defend Florida, he has taught his players over the past six, eight years the best of any coach in the country," Tebow said on the NFL Network set, his voice passionately raised. "You look at his players once they actually get on a team, they know football. We teach football, we teach schemes, we teach concepts that relate for the next level. So to defend coach Meyer, he does a great job of teaching guys to learn football, learn concepts and be able to translate when they get to the next level."

Tebow's throwing motion, which some talent evaluators had criticized as elongated, has been heavily scrutinized since he struggled at the Senior Bowl last month. Tebow revealed earlier this week that he was tweaking his delivery, leading to some Internet and radio chatter that Meyer didn't coach him well enough at Florida.

However, NFL Network analyst Charles Davis said before Tebow's TV appearance that he knows "for a fact" Meyer tried to make changes.

"They tried to work on that two years ago when Dan Mullen was the quarterbacks coach," Davis said. "They had Tim in there … and tried to work it, work it, and then everything reverted back when you got to game speed.

"Florida's trying to win football games," Davis added. "Do we mess him up now or do we continue to go on? That becomes the question. You continue to go on because for Urban Meyer and his staff, the bottom line is winning the football game."

Florida did plenty of that with Tebow, dominating the Southeastern Conference for most of his tenure and claiming two BCS national championships. Tebow won the Heisman Trophy as college football's best player in 2007 and was a finalist the next two years.

Tebow didn't throw at the combine, opting to wait until Florida's March 17 pro day, and he didn't lift weights, but he performed well in every other drill. He was first among quarterbacks -- and fourth among all skill-position players -- with a 6.66-second three-cone drill run, and he was first in the vertical jump (38½ inches). He also finished second among quarterbacks in the broad jump (9 feet, 7 inches) and fourth in the 40-yard dash (4.72 seconds).

NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported Sunday that Tebow has wowed teams in one-on-one interviews, backing the quarterback's assertion that Florida players know their stuff. Now Tebow is just waiting to show those teams his revamped throwing motion.

"It's not totally changing my throwing motion," he said. "It's holding the ball a little higher, getting the ball out a little bit quicker. It's not changing everything. It's working on my footwork, so there's things that I'm working on, but it's not changing who I am. ... So I know we say that we're making changes when we are, but I'm still the same football player."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

But Tebow and the Florida coaching staff both came out and said Urban Meyers worked with Tebow. And Tebow said Meyers was not at fault.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d816a76be&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Whats changed in this 6 weeks from 2 years? The coaches?

If its coaches then why would an aspiring top QB go there? Winning college championships is great but its about doing well inn the pros. Jimmy Clausen was at a non competing programme but it has allowed him to play in an offense that makes him 1st round material.

themont85 wrote: »
    Whats changed in this 6 weeks from 2 years? The coaches?

If its coaches then why would an aspiring top QB go there? Winning college championships is great but its about doing well inn the pros. Jimmy Clausen was at a non competing programme but it has allowed him to play in an offense that makes him 1st round material.

See this is the problem no one is willing to come out and accept responsibility and they never will. Tebow doesn't blame Florida and why would he really. Look at it this way Florida got out of Tebow what they needed and Tebow himself seemed happy enough with it. some coaches will tell it is their responsibility to continue to groom players for the NFL and some will tell you its not.

If you ask me the fault lies on both sides Florida tried and gave up because they obviously felt Tebow wasn't going to change and they truly didn't need him to. Tebow if he ever knew he had a problem which he seems he did should have sought extra hours fixing his mechanics over his 4 years oin college rather than leaving it until now.

But who knows at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't know why everyone said his throwing motion looked good at his pro-day. Does anyone have any good quality video of it? I've seen a youtube clip of 3 throws and two of them are horrible passes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I think all the stats are trying to say is - well if these 6 guys were deemed worthy of the overall 1st pick, why not tebow.

Thing is we all know why.

In which case Tebow is a victim of past failures. JMR had stats as impressive as some greats, and yet he was a bust. Now Tebow was amazing in college, but wait! JMR and leaf were busts and they were great in college. Ergo, Tebow will be too.

That kind of faulty logic is unfair on him. And I'd like to point out, the one thing all these NFL busts have in common is not a weird throwing action, or bad footwork, it's their attitude. When you look at that list, have a think about why Peyton Manning is so much better than people with similar (or even better) physical attributes than he possesses. Do I even need to point out it's his attitude and dedication to the game?

I'm by no means convinced he's got no chance of being a very, very good QB.

I don't know why everyone said his throwing motion looked good at his pro-day. Does anyone have any good quality video of it? I've seen a youtube clip of 3 throws and two of them are horrible passes.

I agree with you to be honest. Nothing has changed other than his footwork. His trainers believe his footwork holds the answer to his bad throwing motion. There was a vid on you tube taken from ESPN but it has been removed due to copyright. Tebow still in my eyes has a lot of work to do.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    In which case Tebow is a victim of past failures. JMR had stats as impressive as some greats, and yet he was a bust. Now Tebow was amazing in college, but wait! JMR and leaf were busts and they were great in college. Ergo, Tebow will be too.

That kind of faulty logic is unfair on him. And I'd like to point out, the one thing all these NFL busts have in common is not a weird throwing action, or bad footwork, it's their attitude. When you look at that list, have a think about why Peyton Manning is so much better than people with similar (or even better) physical attributes than he possesses. Do I even need to point out it's his attitude and dedication to the game?

I'm by no means convinced he's got no chance of being a very, very good QB.

You've missed my point completely buddy. Past failures has nothing got to do with why tebow doesnt deserve the first over all pick. It's as simple as this; When you take a first round pick he needs to make an instant impact in your team regardless of position. Now with Tebow, I believe in 3 years time he will make a huge impact but there is too many faults in his game at the moment which would be exploited at the pro level. I've no doubt he'll overcome them and will be a hell of player, we just need to give him time.

What he needs to work on is his footwork and throwing motion. This will help him release the ball quicker and bring more consistancy to his throws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

It's as simple as this; When you take a first round pick he needs to make an instant impact in your team regardless of position

I wouldn't say instant impact is needed, do you remember Mario Williams early career? He looked every bit the bust of JMR for his first 18 months in the league. His dedication was called into question and so were his abilities, everyone thought of him as a gym rat that had a great combine but over the course of the second half of his second year he developed and the Texans now look the like the smartest team in the NFL that turned down Reggie Bush who was going to revolutionise the running back position and Vince Young who was going to translate his college career to the NFL.

The first pick overall and all draft picks are not about 'instant impact' they are about selecting a player that can be a cornerstone for your franchise for 10 years. If you select first you are thinking 'I want a future multiple pro bowler' you don't realistically think 'I want player X to come in and be immense right from day one of camp' because the jump is generally just too large for even the very best college players to make

No it really isn't. For the first and second round of the draft you want players who will come in and start immediatly hence making an impact. For the third round and after you start taking projects.

Actually go take a look down anyones mock draft, it doesnt matter who made it, they are all relavtively the same. You'll notice that every player mentioned has the ability to start from day one and to be honest thats why they are expected to go early.

1-2 = immediate impact
    3+ = projects and filling holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

No it really isn't. For the first and second round of the draft you want players who will come in and start immediatly hence making an impact. For the third round and after you start taking projects.

Actually go take a look down anyones mock draft, it doesnt matter who made it, they are all relavtively the same. You'll notice that every player mentioned has the ability to start from day one and to be honest thats why they are expected to go early.

1-2 = immediate impact
    3+ = projects and filling holes.

But if that's the case how come it's so rare to see a QB come in and be an impact player straight away? Two years ago was the first time that rookie QBs came in and led their teams to the playoff-Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. It was not expected of them to perform like that. They were expected to come in and make mistakes and lean on the strengths of their teams running game.

Noone expected those QBs to come in and be amazing and I don't understand why it would be expected of them. The only skill position that consistently has rookie production is running back, recievers dont come in and produce and neither do defensive backs or the majority of linebackers. Linemen come in and by and large also take a year or two to adjust.

If it was expected for first and second rounders to come in and play to a very high level and be productive straight away why are we always amazed when a rookie actually does it?

If we were talking about 3 or 4 years ago then you'd be right. But not anymore. I suppose you could say that the game has evolved that little bit further in this regard.

I'm not saying they are gonna make the pro bowl in their first year, what I am saying is they come in and play to the level that they win and maintain their first string status.

If you look at the competition for rookie of the year these last two years you won't be surprised by the standard of some of these lads.

Patriots Want Tebow? Signs of Pats might use 1 of their 3 2nd Round picks for Tebow maybe?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/30/report-belichick-breaks-bread-with-florida-qb-tebow/
    Think about how Patriots coach Bill Belichick rarely shows emotion or interest in anything. So it’s probably saying something that Belichick would take time to personally meet with a prospect in a casual, non-football environment, and what that might indicate about the coach’s opinion of said prospect.

Well, on Monday night, Belichick dined with Florida QB Tim Tebow, the Boston Herald reported, citing several sources.
    HQ video delivered by Akamai

Belichick, along with personnel head Nick Caserio, met with Tebow at Tresca in Boston’s North End, according to the Herald.

It was the second consecutive big-time dinner for Tebow, who shared a meal with Hall of Fame QB Jim Kelly on Sunday night in Buffalo. Tebow had been in New York making the rounds with Bills personnel.

Tebow’s dinner qualifies as one of the 30 in-house visits the Patriots are allowed to have with draft-eligible players. He was scheduled for a private workout with the Patriots, the Herald reported.

Since Tebow, who has modified his elongated throwing motion, is considered a project as an NFL quarterback, some people believe he would be a perfect fit in New England. Tom Brady is running the show, so Tebow would have time to learn the ropes behind one of the all-time greats. And that might be just what Tebow needs to flourish.

I'm not a big Tebow Fan but I have been saying a team like the Pats would be an excellent move for him to get time to learn the game under Tom Brady and BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Patriots Want Tebow? Signs of Pats might use 1 of their 3 2nd Round picks for Tebow maybe?

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/30/report-belichick-breaks-bread-with-florida-qb-tebow/

I'm not a big Tebow Fan but I have been saying a team like the Pats would be an excellent move for him to get time to learn the game under Tom Brady and BB.

It would be a great landing spot for Tebow. He would be under no pressure to be an immediate saviour and he would be learning behind a great. I can't see BB using a 2nd rounder on him though, maybe they move back into the 3rd and try pick him up there, although I would be surprised if some team doesnt take him earlier than that.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d8173cba1/Around-the-League

Apprantly Tebow is being considered a late first to early second pick now.

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    It would be a great landing spot for Tebow. He would be under no pressure to be an immediate saviour and he would be learning behind a great. I can't see BB using a 2nd rounder on him though, maybe they move back into the 3rd and try pick him up there, although I would be surprised if some team doesnt take him earlier than that.

With a 1st round pick and 3 picks in the 2nd round the Patriots have enough room to sacrifice a 2nd round pick for him.

Advertisement