Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Tebow

Options
  • 03-10-2009 3:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

This guy is murdering them at the college level.

Will he transfer it to the pros? Will he be drafted high?

I see him as cleveland's salvation to be honest, brady being benched that early in the season will destroy him as a player.

any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

look at the old tebow thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Tewbow in my opinion wont make a good NFL quarterback. Its one thing running a spread offense in college its quite another playing under centre in the NFL.

As for the browns they spend a firt rounder on quinn they aint going to draft another QB fact.

Tewbow will go first round but he wont be the first QB taken. In my mind he will go to jacksonville more to do with getting people through the turnstyles than his qb attributes.

Bradford, McCoy & Clausen are all better suited to the NFL imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

cant see tebow being taken in the first round (unless the raiders take him:rolleyes:). From the highlights ive seen, he's a good college qb but its not an NFL style offense that he runs.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    cant see tebow being taken in the first round (unless the raiders take him:rolleyes:). From the highlights ive seen, he's a good college qb but its not an NFL style offense that he runs.

the only reason i think he will possibly go in the first round is that jacksonville really need a franchise face to turning around thier ailing fanbase. Tewbow is a florida ledgend and would draw in the crowds that was way down in jacksonville.

Is that the right reason to draft somebody ? Not on your nelly but Its not inconcievable.

If they decide to draft properly however tebow wont go in the first round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

D3PO wrote: »
    the only reason i think he will possibly go in the first round is that jacksonville really need a franchise face to turning around thier ailing fanbase. Tewbow is a florida ledgend and would draw in the crowds that was way down in jacksonville.

Is that the right reason to draft somebody ? Not on your nelly but Its not inconcievable.

If they decide to draft properly however tebow wont go in the first round.
    But there is easily 3-4 qbs that are better suited to NFL football coming out next year, McCoy being the main one. Tebow will bomb the same way Vince Young did at tennessee

If he does get drafted high, you can quote me on this at the end of next year or the year after :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

But there is easily 3-4 qbs that are better suited to NFL football coming out next year, McCoy being the main one. Tebow will bomb the same way Vince Young did at tennessee

If he does get drafted high, you can quote me on this at the end of next year or the year after :P
    I personally believe that Tebow will be a star in the NFL. The guy is just a winner and he is not afraid to put in the hard work necessary to make the transition. I really believe that he can bring a hugely successful spread offence to the NFL anyways. I've alway felt that Miami were after him and I still think they will get him no matter what it takes.

On McCoy, I really think he is grossly overrated. Bradford is a much better prospect than McCoy imo. I hope Clausen stays at Notre Dame for another year but he certainly is a guy that should make it in the NFL. Then again Brady Quinn looked a certainty too but he has been a big letdown so far.

But there is are 3 or 4 qbs better suited to the nfl

i dont disagree with you. I wouldnt select him on the first day not to mind the first day, but its not like NFL teams dont make stupid drafts every year now is it ?

eagle eye wrote: »
    I On McCoy, I really think he is grossly overrated. Bradford is a much better prospect than McCoy imo. .

For me McCoy has better accuracy, better arm strenght and when taking snaps under centre looks the more comfortable of the two.

that said both will do a good job in the NFL me thinks. Tebow does have some things going for him he had good arm strenght and he seems to have excellent leadership skills, but i still think hes probably a 4th rounder for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Hasn't this debate been done to death in 2 other threads :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Lane Kiffin had a lot of nice things to say about him in the summer. He claims the same things were said about tebow in highschool - that he'd never make it as a QB in College Football..... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

^^^^That is pretty much the way I look at Tebow. The intangibles are just so important and he has them. As I said the guy is a born winner, everybody around him thinks he is amazing, he has such great leadership skills. Everybody plays their best when they are around him. You just can't make somebody like that and along with his ability its why I believe that he is certain to be a star in the NFL.
    He reminds me in ways of a young Tiger Woods. Everybody said he would not last because he hit the ball too hard and you lose control over time with that, but he went and destroyed all around him and then changed his swing and won four majors in a row, and then goes off and changes his swing again. The belief in his own ability, clutch play and work ethic is what made Tiger what he is today, still the top man after 12 or 13 years in the pro golf game. I know its very high praise to compare a young college QB to him but I really think they have that same will, belief and air about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,474 ✭✭✭Trampas

And we wont get complaints about diging up old threads? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 maharg92

personally im a huge tim tebow fan so i might be slightly biased in this but i do honestly think he will make it in the pros he probably wont be drafted to high but i still think he'll make it big maybe not tom brady peyton manning big but more like mcnabb without the injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Tebow always reminds me of Tommie Frazier the great Nebraska Cornhuskers QB and the leader of probably the greatest college football team of all time the 1995 Huskers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oO18ZbCLbE

Both are/were leaders and big game performers. Frazier was MVP in 3 straight National Championship games despite losing in the 1994 Orange Bowl to Florida State.

Both wore number 15 and are from Florida.

Both had the ability to run and pass and most importantly for this conversation the same questions were being asked about Frazier's pro prospects as are now being asked about Tebow. He too was questioned about his accuracy and overall throwing ability and like Tebow there was talk of him changing position. Also there were doubts about him transferring well from Nebraska's option attack the pros similar to how the questions about Tebow going from Florida's spread to the NFL.

Frazier performed well in a pro style offence at the senior bowl but he was never drafted, mainly because of a blood cloth recurring in his left leg which had caused him to miss alot of his junior year. he did make a comeback later that year and help the Huskers to the 1994 Championship. But even without the blood cloth there were many who doubted Frazier. Im very interested in what happens to Tebow, if he does well he could almost win one for Frazier aswell!!

I think the key is where Tebow ends up. If he goes to a bad team and is asked to come in straight away and be the Saviour I think he fails. His intangibles are off the charts but hes not polished as a passer. If he is given time to learn for a couple of years he could be great as eagle eye said you know hes gona work his tail off to get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESfiq4jpDY

^ Video about Frazier from the 1996 draft coverage. The start of the video has an interesting debate between Mel Kiper and Joe Thiesmann about Nebraska RB Lawrence Phillips and whether he should have been drafted so high despite his off the field issues. I think its fair to say Mel was right on this one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Mike912

Hands up for wanting Tebow to be YOUR quarterback in the pro's?

He was home schooled, recruited to play for a dominant high school team, then was treated as the second coming before electing to play for the Gators. He has been "The Man" at Florida. He has never been met with adversity.

The NFL doesn't care about "potential", the NFL is a business that cares about what you can do for me...now.

Tebow throws "low", and has talents that don't carry over to alternative positions.

He should make his money now before 350lb linemen in the NFL, who run sub-5 sec 40's, squash him in the NFL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Watching Tebow this season and last season he is missing the 2 WR who moved on.

They are running the ball a lot more and he is as good as most RB at college level.

I can see them in the running come next Jan and he is one of the main reasons for that.

But just can't see him at QB in the NFL without some serious WR to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'm finished work at 12.30 tonight and its straight home for the Gators game !

• Registered Users Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Read an interesting article last week about the possibility of the UFL trying to recruit Tebow for their Orlando franchise. The talk was that they'd offer him above what he could expect in the NFL, as the UFL thought he was the type of "star" they needed to truly kick off

Currently watching him in the Sugar bowl, and he still has those same failings...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Tebow cam :o, facepalm central.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I haven't got into college football yet, but I've been reading up on this guy. About 70% think this lad will do the business in the NFL.

It's just a matter of waiting around to see if he can be a hit.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    About 70% think this lad will do the business in the NFL.

70%? Where did you get this figure from? From what I have seen there is mixed opinion, but so much opinion you couldn't put a percentage on it.

Just to add for me I only pay attention to those in the media who present football as their evidence as in they break down Tebow's abilities and compare them to the Pro systems and playbooks. I hate analyst that don't back up their opinions as to why Tebow will be good in the NFL other than this "Oh well he was awesome in college" type crap. So was Ryan Leaf and look what happened him.

70%? Where did you get this figure from? From what I have seen there is mixed opinion, but so much opinion you couldn't put a percentage on it.

Just to add for me I only pay attention to those in the media who present football as their evidence as in they break down Tebow's abilities and compare them to the Pro systems and playbooks. I hate analyst that don't back up their opinions as to why Tebow will be good in the NFL other than this "Oh well he was awesome in college" type crap. So was Ryan Leaf and look what happened him.

This drives me mad. It's as if his ability in College football means nothing. How can it mean nothing? 533 all-purpose yards in the Sugar bowl, on top of everything else, means the guy has an inordinate amount of ability. I don't get why some people are so adamant that ability won't translate to the NFL - it's the same bloody sport.

If you put Peyton Mannng on the Saints tomorrow, he'd struggle initially. If you put Tom Brady into the Colts tomorrow, he'd struggle for a while too. Tebow won't walk into a team and win straight away. But build an offense around him, and there is no doubt in my mind, the guy will win. When you have the multiple threats the guy brings, you have a dangerous player, in any league.

davyjose wrote: »
    This drives me mad. It's as if his ability in College football means nothing. How can it mean nothing? 533 all-purpose yards in the Sugar bowl, on top of everything else, means the guy has an inordinate amount of ability. I don't get why some people are so adamant that ability won't translate to the NFL - it's the same bloody sport.

If you put Peyton Mannng on the Saints tomorrow, he'd struggle initially. If you put Tom Brady into the Colts tomorrow, he'd struggle for a while too. Tebow won't walk into a team and win straight away. But build an offense around him, and there is no doubt in my mind, the guy will win. When you have the multiple threats the guy brings, you have a dangerous player, in any league.

Firstly who said his abilities mean nothing?

And Really? Look how many players destroyed in College football and failed miserably in the NFL its hit or miss. College football is not the same level as the NFL. College football has a wide variety of levels of ability. Not all of it translates to the NFL. Tebow could do well and could crash and burn. But right now his arm is not NFL quality.

Look simple fact for him to succeed in the NFL he needs a lot of work with a QB coach to mould him. He has the abilities but it is finding the right team that will be that patient. His main threat is his legs and that is a fact dude. And sadly unless he finds a team willing to change their whole system to allow him to move you have taken away a good chunk of his abilities.

There are so many factors that make college football players look awesome and a lot of it is the level of the competition and opponents. Where as the NFL you are quite literally playing the best of the best. Tebow has a lot of hard work ahead of him as does every draftee. We can all agree that after Ryan Leaf and others its not a straight forward transition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Extremely short sighted way of looking it it. I mean according to you some lad who plays in the sunday league and scores goal for fun should be able to make it in then premier league because "its the same bloody sport" after all. I'm pretty sure manning or brady certainly wouldn't struggle on either of those teams, not sure why you think they would. :confused:.

I don't know if tebow will be a "bust", that will depend where he is drafted but I don't think he'll ever be an elite nfl QB.

533 all-purpose yards in the Sugar bowl, on top of everything else.

Using the Sugar bowl as your example is ridiculous. The Bearcats offered no challenge and practically every drive moved for Florida. Cinci were lost without Kelly and non existent last night. It was a very poor showing and a one sided affair. Sadly for Tebow as good as he played no one will care about last nights game.

Extremely short sighted way of looking it it. I mean according to you some lad who plays in the sunday league and scores goal for fun should be able to make it in then premier league because "its the same bloody sport" after all. I'm pretty sure manning or brady certainly wouldn't struggle on either of those teams, not sure why you think they would. :confused:.

I don't know if tebow will be a "bust", that will depend where he is drafted but I don't think he'll ever be an elite nfl QB.

You're comparing College Football with playing sunday league? because I certainly didn't. you've a cheek to say I'm being short-sighted if you're going to make those assumptions.
    College football is played to a very high standard. Tom Brady had a much easier life in the NFL by all accounts.

I'll tell you one thing I know. The Colts offense is moulded in the shape of Manning. Every play is designed to suit Manning's game. If brady walked in it would take time to adjust. These guys aren't making the same plays, or playing the exact same systems. The point is: you stick Tebow in frsh, yeah he's going to struggle. you give him time with an offense, he makes it work.

Using the Sugar bowl as your example is ridiculous. The Bearcats offered no challenge and practically every drive moved for Florida. Cinci were lost without Kelly and non existent last night. It was a very poor showing and a one sided affair. Sadly for Tebow as good as he played no one will care about last nights game.

You can only play what's in front of you. Tebow's arm might not be his best attribute, but it's not the dud people in the media make it out to be. It has been very, very effective in the past. He might not have the arm someone like cutler has, but who cares.

Also if we're talking ridiculous, lets look at your Ryan Leaf example. In what universe are they comparable? Leaf had none of the qualities Tebow has, and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You're comparing College Football with playing sunday league? because I certainly didn't. you've a cheek to say I'm being short-sighted if you're going to make those assumptions.
    College football is played to a very high standard. Tom Brady had a much easier life in the NFL by all accounts.

I'll tell you one thing I know. The Colts offense is moulded in the shape of Manning. Every play is designed to suit Manning's game. If brady walked in it would take time to adjust. These guys aren't making the same plays, or playing the exact same systems. The point is: you stick Tebow in frsh, yeah he's going to struggle. you give him time with an offense, he makes it work.

How many college players go pro? Have many of the players on the Bearcats defense will even be on an nfl roster in 5 years? The step up from college to nfl is massive. Tebow main strength is his running ability. I can't wait to see how he fairs trying to barrell over LBers in the nfl, he'll be broken in two.

If Manning went to the saints they'd easily make the play-offs, so would Colts if they had Brady. There might be a slight drop off but it certainly wouldn't be anything significant.

• Advertisement

You can only play what's in front of you. Tebow's arm might not be his best attribute, but it's not the dud people in the media make it out to be. It has been very, very effective in the past. He might not have the arm someone like cutler has, but who cares.

Also if we're talking ridiculous, lets look at your Ryan Leaf example. In what universe are they comparable? Leaf had none of the qualities Tebow has, and vice versa.

HE is a QB of course his arm is important. He floats the football far too much. Unfortunately he doesn't have the strongest arm around and unfortunately for him coaches notice this. If he throws that many passes anywhere near Pro secondaries he will be picked off a lot. The problem as I said before he needs a lot of work with a solid QB coach and a lot of time to adjust to a system. Unless a team is willing to risk changing their whole system to suit his abilities and in this case his running ability. Tebow when he gets pressured runs with the ball and this proves to be much easier in College football than the NFL.

Sure College football is played to a high standard but the NFL is played at a much higher standard and has the best of the best hence why they are in the NFL. What worries coaches that he will depend on his scrambling abilities far too much and we all know scrambling in the NFL is not easy. Big Linebackers and D linemen with 40 times that are phenomenal for their size. Something you just don't see in College teams on every team.

Look no one is saying he will be a bust or fail. But to argue because he had a Fantastic college career makes him a given is madness and that was my main point. Something which many have done.

As for my Ryan Leaf comparison you missed my point. Where did I compare them by ability? Leaf was considered to be someone who was going to be elite and he choked and failed. That was my point.

You see you are convinced that Tebow will be successful and I have given you my reasons why he may not. I didn't say he wont. But to be honest I just don't see him impacting as a QB with that arm of his. He is a pure athlete but im not convinced.

Advertisement