Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tim Tebow

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eagle eye wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with Tebow's arm, its just his style thats a problem. He drops his arm too low before he throws and that will lead to a lot of fumbles in the nfl with top class rushers getting close enough to knock it out.

I've seen Tebow throw bullets, I've seen him throw floaters too. He can do it all, its just mechanics. He will work hard to fix them, I guarantee you he blows everyone away at the combine next year.

He's had 4 years in college to work on it, any reason he hasn't bothered? You're crazy if you think he can do it in 4 months. He's better off sticking with his style because if he tries to change it and he makes a balls of it he is up **** creek. From what I have read and seen Tebow seems to sling the ball sideways.

Here's the video of the game against bearcats. To me it seems he has to turn his whole upper body to get enough strength into his throw. I only say one throw I was impressed with that was squeezed into a tight window, the rest he had WR's wide open.

Compare his motion to guys like clausen or Bradford and there's a huge difference. Bradford 08 hightlight reel.

It's so much smooth and more natural compared to Tebows. Tebow looks like he's trying to strike out a batter with his fastball rather then hit a WR in stride. I'm saying the kid won't make it, but he needs a **** load of work. Can any of the Tebow fans honestly tell me if they were GM's for the Rams and come April with the 1st pick of the NFL draft they'd take Tebow 1st overall?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Look I've said this before and I'll say it again, Tim Tebow will bring successful spread offense to the NFL. He is know also to have great drive and determination and I just know that he will be ready for the combine.

The two most important things if you are going to be successful in the NFL as a QB are, not making bad decisions and hitting you guy on the numbers. Tebow is an excellent decision maker and he can hit his man, maybe he needs to improve his accuracy a little but the fact that he has such an outstanding td to int ratio shows he is top notch. The windup is the only problem I can see that he has, he needs to stop dropping the ball that low. Yeah maybe he needs to settle in the pocket better but these problems are all fixable.

Some of you guys are saying that experts say he won't make it. There are others who say he will be outstanding. Dungy and Gruden have both said he will be a superstar QB in the NFL. And there have been rumours that Bill Belichick wants him and if thats true then you will see a lot of those so called experts change their opinion very quickly. Its very well known that BB and Tebow have been in contact for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

eagle eye wrote: »
    Look I've said this before and I'll say it again, Tim Tebow will bring successful spread offense to the NFL. He is know also to have great drive and determination and I just know that he will be ready for the combine.

The two most important things if you are going to be successful in the NFL as a QB are, not making bad decisions and hitting you guy on the numbers. Tebow is an excellent decision maker and he can hit his man, maybe he needs to improve his accuracy a little but the fact that he has such an outstanding td to int ratio shows he is top notch. The windup is the only problem I can see that he has, he needs to stop dropping the ball that low. Yeah maybe he needs to settle in the pocket better but these problems are all fixable.

Some of you guys are saying that experts say he won't make it. There are others who say he will be outstanding. Dungy and Gruden have both said he will be a superstar QB in the NFL. And there have been rumours that Bill Belichick wants him and if thats true then you will see a lot of those so called experts change their opinion very quickly. Its very well known that BB and Tebow have been in contact for some time.

Have you scanned over everyones posts and failed to read them? No one said he wont make it not even the experts. :rolleyes:

Oh and Gruden said he will be great if he finds the right team and the right coaching staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Gisty

Oh and Gruden said he will be great if he finds the right team and the right coaching staff.

And a 5 star WR corps like he's had the whole time in Florida.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Gruden says everyone is great these days!!

''That Tim Tebow is a football player'':D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Not disagreeing with your main point, but surely a better expert could be mustered!

How many QBs has he gone through at this stage?!

geeky wrote: »
    Not disagreeing with your main point, but surely a better expert could be mustered!

How many QBs has he gone through at this stage?!

Eh if you read the rest of my posts rather than quoting that one which in fact was a reply to someone else saying Gruden said Tebow would be excellent. You would find I said there are many experts saying what I said. Google is your friend use it. If you read many of the websites or blogs or columns or watch the shows or even live games you will many analysts and coaches with their feelings on Tebow. Make your own mind up from there.

Next time I suggest reading the rest of my posts or the rest of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Eh if you read the rest of my posts rather than quoting that one which in fact was a reply to someone else saying Gruden said Tebow would be excellent. You would find I said there are many experts saying what I said. Google is your friend use it. If you read many of the websites or blogs or columns or watch the shows or even live games you will many analysts and coaches with their feelings on Tebow. Make your own mind up from there.

Next time I suggest reading the rest of my posts or the rest of the thread.

Janey, it was just a light-hearted comment. Chill.

geeky wrote: »
    Janey, it was just a light-hearted comment. Chill.

Next time put a smiley face beside it then because as we all know Sarcasm doesn't read through text. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

I had an abundance of threads I could choose to post this!! :rolleyes:

Anyways!

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/03/07/tebow-has-individual-workouts-lined-up-with-seattle-buffalo/

Tebow's pro day will be unscripted and he's saying he'll do whatever is asking off him! I think he got the idea of this when he was sitting with the panel after his combine on the nfl network and they were comparing his mentality to sanchez and the panelists mentioned that sanchez's pro day was pretty much unscripted adn he did wahtever was asked of him.

This is a huge show of confidence on his part.

He also has workouts planned with the seahawks and the bills.

Things looking up for TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

This is a huge show of confidence on his part.
    Things looking up for TT

I take it more as a sign of desperation on Tebow's part. If he was confident he would have thrown at the combine but I think after the senior bowl and his negative press he didnt want to further undermine his draft stock

That wouldnt make sense to me. If you didn't feel you could do it and were worried about draft stock then you would have a very inflexible routine.

However, you could be right, I'm excited to see how he does none the less.

That wouldnt make sense to me. If you didn't feel you could do it and were worried about draft stock then you would have a very inflexible routine.

However, you could be right, I'm excited to see how he does none the less.

Im excited to see how he does as well and I'd love to see him do well but I think he hasnt had enough time in three months to work out his kinks after not having had any time spent working on mechanics in college where Meyer (rightly) is only concerned with winning there and not developing NFL ready talent

frostie500 wrote: »
    Im excited to see how he does as well and I'd love to see him do well but I think he hasnt had enough time in three months to work out his kinks after not having had any time spent working on mechanics in college where Meyer (rightly) is only concerned with winning there and not developing NFL ready talent

http://www.nfl.com/combine/story?id=09000d5d816a76be&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Don't know if anyone saw this a while back. Its funny after reading it, it left me feeling that maybe this problem is on Tebow himself. He clearly says as do others that Meyer did in fact work with Tebow on many occasions to fix his mechanics. Even Tebow defends Meyer. The whole thing is mad. Tebow has a lot of work to do to show every team he is ready. Not throwing at the combine for me was a cop out.

Cop out is the key word for all QB's in this years combine :D.

Don't know if anyone saw this a while back. Its funny after reading it, it left me feeling that maybe this problem is on Tebow himself. He clearly says as do others that Meyer did in fact work with Tebow on many occasions to fix his mechanics. Even Tebow defends Meyer. The whole thing is mad. Tebow has a lot of work to do to show every team he is ready. Not throwing at the combine for me was a cop out.

I didnt read that story before, if that is the case it has to be very big knock on Tebow and his ability to learn/adapt etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Neilster1509

Hynzie wrote: »
    Tebow always reminds me of Tommie Frazier the great Nebraska Cornhuskers QB and the leader of probably the greatest college football team of all time the 1995 Huskers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oO18ZbCLbE

Both are/were leaders and big game performers. Frazier was MVP in 3 straight National Championship games despite losing in the 1994 Orange Bowl to Florida State.

Both wore number 15 and are from Florida.

Both had the ability to run and pass and most importantly for this conversation the same questions were being asked about Frazier's pro prospects as are now being asked about Tebow. He too was questioned about his accuracy and overall throwing ability and like Tebow there was talk of him changing position. Also there were doubts about him transferring well from Nebraska's option attack the pros similar to how the questions about Tebow going from Florida's spread to the NFL.

Frazier performed well in a pro style offence at the senior bowl but he was never drafted, mainly because of a blood cloth recurring in his left leg which had caused him to miss alot of his junior year. he did make a comeback later that year and help the Huskers to the 1994 Championship. But even without the blood cloth there were many who doubted Frazier. Im very interested in what happens to Tebow, if he does well he could almost win one for Frazier aswell!!

I think the key is where Tebow ends up. If he goes to a bad team and is asked to come in straight away and be the Saviour I think he fails. His intangibles are off the charts but hes not polished as a passer. If he is given time to learn for a couple of years he could be great as eagle eye said you know hes gona work his tail off to get better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QESfiq4jpDY

^ Video about Frazier from the 1996 draft coverage. The start of the video has an interesting debate between Mel Kiper and Joe Thiesmann about Nebraska RB Lawrence Phillips and whether he should have been drafted so high despite his off the field issues. I think its fair to say Mel was right on this one!!

Its funny , i think its quite concieveable thats Tebow is a 3rd rounder ...he is a 1st rounder to the Jags only and that would wear off if struggles started to mount. He is an intriguing TightEnd prospect or maybe at a Good nursery of QBs wher that team decide to make him a project as a QB 3/Tight End on a team like a Norv Turner's or Chan Gailey in Buffalo who may not be a head coach but is an outstanding QB coach

Bottom line when the pressure he will revert to that wonky throwing action and the Ed Reeds of the league with smell a pick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

So how was Tebow's new throwing action Wednesday?

Very very good. The progress he made in 6 weeks was awe inspiring. However, at the end of his workout when he was getting tired he started to revert back to his old motions.

How it stands is like this, those who liked him 6 weeks ago still like him, those who didnt, still dont

Very very good. The progress he made in 6 weeks was awe inspiring. However, at the end of his workout when he was getting tired he started to revert back to his old motions.

How it stands is like this, those who liked him 6 weeks ago still like him, those who didnt, still dont

If you watch his throwing motion it was practically the same other than a few minor tweaks. What they did fix in six weeks was his footwork. As a guy who always played in shotgun his footwork was non existent when it came to moving around in the pocket. Very good video by his trainers on NFL.com explaining this. As far as his throwing motion is concerned the improvement isn't major.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

If you watch his throwing motion it was practically the same other than a few minor tweaks. What they did fix in six weeks was his footwork. As a guy who always played in shotgun his footwork was non existent when it came to moving around in the pocket. Very good video by his trainers on NFL.com explaining this. As far as his throwing motion is concerned the improvement isn't major.

Is his footwork actually "fixed"? That would be very good going for such a period of time. Curious to see what teams ask him to work out for them.

The actual motion didnt require as much changing as everyone believes.'
    He needed to hold the ball higher, which he achieved. He also needed to make it more compact, shorten the motion pretty much, which he also acheived.

Tristram wrote: »
    Is his footwork actually "fixed"? That would be very good going for such a period of time. Curious to see what teams ask him to work out for them.

Sorry for the double post.

Well he has been invited to attend the first draft round and he had spent a lot of time talking to certain teams on wednesday.

he has been invited to attend the first draft round and he had spent a lot of time talking to certain teams on wednesday.

I'd say he has been invited because the TV companies love to have a QB sitting in the green room waiting anxiously to be drafted only to slide down the order-do you remember Brady Quinn?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's been asked to attend because he's Tim Tebow and if he is there then the draft will get even more viewers.

The actual motion didnt require as much changing as everyone believes.'
    He needed to hold the ball higher, which he achieved. He also needed to make it more compact, shorten the motion pretty much, which he also acheived.

I don't agree with you. Look at the Videos. More too often he is still using his wind up motion when throwing the ball. But the times he did seem to have a proper throwing motion you could see it was taking a lot out of him. The footwork has fixed his throwing because it is making him throw the ball quicker but it all seems a struggle to him and many believe it wont take him long to go back to old habits. I don't think he has raised his stock any higher to be honest. Teams that didn't plan on taking him still wont take him.

I just don't see anyone taking him high other than the Jags. The Seahwaks just made a big trade for Whitehurst from the Chargers so that most likely puts them out of the loop on Tebow also.

As for going to the draft that was always going to happen. TV revenue and all that as Chucky says. I stand by what I say the best team that will benefit Tebow in the draft is not someone like the Jags who will start him right away but a team that will nurture him. He needs more time and team with patients. And it is for this reason that teams that don't plan starting him will let him slide down the draft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

He's been asked to attend because he's Tim Tebow and if he is there then the draft will get even more viewers.

Especially if he doesnt get drafted in the 1st round, imagine the how many more people will watch the 2nd round, waiting to see where Tebow lands.

Its a major win for the NFL Network if Tebow doesnt go in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭davetherave

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3171_A_tale_of_six_quarterbacks.html

I'll just leave this lying here.

I for one don't get what the whole thing about his "mechanics" are. He threw the ball the same bleedin way in college and look at the numbers he put up. The guy won a Heisman Trophy and two national titles, you don't get that for standing around holding your d!ck so he's obviously doing something right. And even if you go back to the old line of sucess in college ball doesn't mean sucess in pro ball, big woopdy doo. Wait until he's playing pro until you can say wheter he is going to bust or boom.

Firstly those are interesting stats.

Secondly, Eventhough I am one of the people who believe Tebow will do well, I still have to admit that motion and footwork are very important. Tebow is well on his way to sorting himself out.

His issues were that his footwork was poor coming from centre so his accuracy suffered, His motion was too long and he held the ball too low, which meant that pro level DE, OLB's would be on top of him too often as his motion was too long and then would have a better chance of stripping the ball because he held it too low.

He has done an amazing job correcting those to a certain extent and in a 6 week timeframe too! So it's looking promising that he'll get over that.

The last issue that people have with him is that they believe his dicision making to be poor and vision to be suspect.

I don't really agree with those worries, I tihnk his vision is fine and his decision making can be improved upon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

So is Tebow going to be 20% better than Peyton Manning, or 20% better than JaMarcus Russell?

Can you really not see how those stats undermine themselves?

Advertisement