Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Broomwagon (off topic chat)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

^ ^
    New shoes???

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Can anyone tell me what x9 aluminium is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Needs a caption such as......

"Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Crow92 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what x9 aluminium is?

It's a silvery white member of the boron group of chemical elements. It has the symbol Al, and its atomic number is 13. It is not soluble in water under normal circumstances.

But seriously, it's just a certain alloy of Aluminium, and so nothing important really.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Despite listening to this song for years, I've only just realised that Major Tom kills himself! Holy ****... amazed that I was able to completely miss the point for so long.

• Advertisement

@mfdc
    Spoiler tags for the love of god!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Ah, but in Ashes to Ashes,

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1517/was-major-tom-the-astronaut-a-real-person
    some time after the disappearance of Major Tom, ground control receives a message from the wayward astronaut: "I'm happy, hope you're happy, too. I've loved all I've needed to love." The opinion on earth is that Major Tom is a "junkie strung out in heaven's high," but hitting "an all-time low."

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

^^^I just thought he was a heroin addict, what did i miss?

CramCycle wrote: »
    ^^^I just thought he was a heroin addict, what did i miss?
    Philip Larkin, the rather conservative and early Jazz-obsessed poet, gave Highway 61 Revisited a surprisingly positive review in The Daily Telegraph, that concluded with the wise words:
    There is a marathon 'Desolation Row' which has an enchanting tune and mysterious, possibly half-baked words.

I think the same caveat applies here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Philly Larkin?????
    047222.jpg

Kilkenny hurling is poetry in motion.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

0004e16f189r.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Philly Larkin?????
    047222.jpg

The sort of poetry that involves hitting men off the ball when their not getting their own way for a change:

Philly Larkin?????
    047222.jpg

More like this:

larkinbown460.jpg

As you can tell, he did like cycling. In Church Going, when he enters an old church:
    Hatless, I take off
    My cycle-clips in awkward reverence.

Are Dublin now the best dual county?

In answering this I'm particularly interested in comments from Cork :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Jawgap wrote: »

In theory, Cork are a republic. In theory :rolleyes:

Of course, communism also works, in theory....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No, just no.

No, just no.

you can't deny the evidence - anyway, what would a Kilkenny man know about football??

you can't deny the evidence - anyway, what would a Kilkenny man know about football??

Evidence is completely against you, if tally up the amount of league and All-Irelands in both codes over the last ten years Kilkenny have 11 Dublin have 1, therefore it could be argued that Kilkenny are a better dual county than Dublin.

Evidence is completely against you, if tally up the amount of league and All-Irelands in both codes over the last ten years Kilkenny have 11 Dublin have 1, therefore it could be argued that Kilkenny are a better dual county than Dublin.

Folks, the silly games discussion page is thisaway, 410 is for talking about a real sport :D

Folks, the silly games discussion page is thisaway, 410 is for talking about a real sport :D

Did you know cycling used to be under the umbrella of the GAA?

• Advertisement

As I asked - are they now the best dual county - not the best ever, or even over the last five or ten years:)
    Did you know cycling used to be under the umbrella of the GAA?

Nice change of subject:D This was something I was aware of....(back when we had a velodrome!!).......

IRISH NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

If the question is just about 2011...

Dublin are all Ireland semi finalists in senior hurling, finalists in minor hurling and likely finalists at under 21.

They are also all Ireland semi finalists at minor and senior football.

And they are national league champions in hurling and national league finalists in football.

In short, the answer is yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Well the question will only be truly answered come the 3rd Sun in Sept (where hopefully the dubs will be in Croker)
    Dublin hurling has come a monster of a distance with Daly and the hurlers achieving more this year with the inclusion of Rhino and Keany since they made the switch from football. It would have been interesting to see how they would have played and handled Tipp yest with a full strenght squad.
    WRT the footballers Sun week is a must win game if Dublin football is to overcome the monkey that is AI semi's.
    If Dub take Donegal and Kerry take Mayo ,whether you are into GAA or not, the country will be buzzing in anticapation of the final and there will be no getting away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bcmf wrote: »
    Well the question will only be truly answered come the 3rd Sun in Sept (where hopefully the dubs will be in Croker)
    Dublin hurling has come a monster of a distance with Daly and the hurlers achieving more this year with the inclusion of Rhino and Keany since they made the switch from football. It would have been interesting to see how they would have played and handled Tipp yest with a full strenght squad.
    WRT the footballers Sun week is a must win game if Dublin football is to overcome the monkey that is AI semi's.
    If Dub take Donegal and Kerry take Mayo ,whether you are into GAA or not, the country will be buzzing in anticapation of the final and there will be no getting away from it.

But you can hardly just put this development down to Daly, look at the performances from the minor team and the u21's this year. The county board have finally realised there's amazing underage talent in dublin hurling and decided to put more effort into preserving and improving this, I've seen this first hand this year.

And on the subject of Cormac Costello, ive been playing with him since I was around 8, and I've always said he's one to watch. He'll tear apart any minor defence next year, this is only his first year for the minor team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

stetyrrell wrote: »
    But you can hardly just put this development down to Daly, look at the performances from the minor team and the u21's this year. The county board have finally realised there's amazing underage talent in dublin hurling and decided to put more effort into preserving and improving this, I've seen this first hand this year.

And on the subject of Cormac Costello, ive been playing with him since I was around 8, and I've always said he's one to watch. He'll tear apart any minor defence next year, this is only his first year for the minor team.
    Wont dissagree with ya as i am usually just interested in the football end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,333 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Anyone watch concrete circus on ch4

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Johnners1878

Concrete Circus was excellent though I only caught the last 20 minutes of it - McAskill is fantastic on the bike but the freerunner was just amazing... Great film-making.

Is it me or is internet dating the most soul destroying activity in the universe?

Is it me or is internet dating the most soul destroying activity in the universe?

It's just you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Sr. Assumpta

Anyone watch concrete circus on ch4

I did my best, however after the 4,000th ad-break I lost the will to live.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement