Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thousands of Non-Irish sent polling cards.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

PaulieD wrote: »
    Read the link in my opening post. They are "non nationals"(hate that word), ie non Irish citizens.

But you're basing your claims of voting fraud on you witnessing people with funny accents voting, not the article....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Non national literally means a stateless person, and under Human Rights legislation, nobody can become "stateless". It is a bit of a oxymoron, but the Irish Times use the term when refering to non-Irish citizens.

How can you be a non national and a citizen? Bit of a paradox that.:confused:

I know this maneuver, the pedant sidestep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

MikeC101 wrote: »
    So let me get this straight, based on your claims of seeing non nationals vote with your own two eyes.

You think that you can tell, from an accent, that someone is not an Irish citizen, be it through marriage or having had refugee status for long enough?

Specifically, you can tell, just from hearing a few words, whether someone (and you defined them all as "Slavic" previously) might have been a refugee from the Balkans or if they're an Albanian with German citizenship, or any of the multitudes of combinations that exist?

Id put my money on them being Polish. A very succinct accent and easy to identify. Maybe they were all married to Irish citizens, who were not with them at the time, but that seems unlikely.

For christs sake, man. There are foreign nationals, on this thread, claiming they voted in the last referendum. Wake up and smell the coffee.

K-9 wrote: »
    I object to the thread title when we know the whole register is a joke.

This was a problem long before 2004.

Complain to the Irish Times, their headline, not mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Non national literally means a stateless person, and under Human Rights legislation, nobody can become "stateless".

Well, Albert Einstein for one managed to fall into the stateless category at one stage. Also, there are - if I remember correctly - some in North Israel (i.e. they don't qualify as Israeli or Palestinian).

• Advertisement

View wrote: »
    Well, Albert Einstein for one managed to fall into the stateless category at one stage.

Problem is, hes dead since 1955.

Id put my money on them being Polish. A very succinct accent and easy to identify. Maybe they were all married to Irish citizens, who were not with them at the time, but that seems unlikely.

Now they're Polish. They were Slavs earlier.
    Given the inconsistencies in your posts (claims of just waving a polling card and getting a ballot) I'm skeptical of how many people there were. And what's to say they weren't naturalised citizens?
    For christs sake, man. There are foreign nationals, on this thread, claiming they voted in the last referendum. Wake up and smell the coffee.

One poster claimed it. I'm not willing to consider that as proof of voting fraud encouraged by some parties as per your previous claims.

But you're basing your claims of voting fraud on you witnessing people with funny accents voting, not the article....

The article, along with claims from foreign nationals that they voted in the last referendum, and of course, with what I experienced today. They did not have funny accents, stop trying to ridicule, they clearly had eastern european(slavic) accents. If I were a betting man, I would say that they were Polish. It is an easy accent to recognise.

Now they're Polish. They were Slavs earlier.
    Given the inconsistencies in your posts (claims of just waving a polling card and getting a ballot) I'm skeptical of how many people there were. And what's to say they weren't naturalised citizens?

It is a seven year wait for naturalisation. The Poles arrived here en masse in 2004/2005.

One poster claimed it. I'm not willing to consider that as proof of voting fraud encouraged by some parties as per your previous claims.

Two posters on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Whats the problem?
    "95% of europeans would vote no" :pac:

• Advertisement

The article, along with claims from foreign nationals that they voted in the last referendum, and of course, with what I experienced today. They did not have funny accents, stop trying to ridicule, they clearly had eastern european(slavic) accents. If I were a betting man, I would say that they were Polish. It is an easy accent to recognise.

And I don't believe you.

You started off with allusions to "Slavic" accents and flashing their polling cards and being given ballots. You were challenged on it, and changed your claims to them being Polish. Forgive me if I find your memory recall that they were Polish somewhat hard to believe.

Your agenda is showing.

zuroph wrote: »
    Whats the problem?
    "95% of europeans would vote no" :pac:

Maybe in their own country, not immigrants in Ireland. They wouldnt want to upset the apple cart. They know a good thing when they see one.

And I don't believe you.

You started off with allusions to "Slavic" accents and flashing their polling cards and being given ballots. You were challenged on it, and changed your claims to them being Polish. Forgive me if I find your memory recall that they were Polish somewhat hard to believe.

Your agenda is showing.

Believe what you will. Lets see if the media touch the issue in the coming days. They have been very quiet since the original story broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

So we got the 5%? lol. My hole we did. Point is, the quote was wrong. They'd also vote that way back home so they could have the option of heading over here.

PS: You're also admitting that Ireland's position in EU was in threat thanks to this vote, which the No campaign has vigourously denied throughout the campaign.

Believe what you will. Lets see if the media touch the issue in the coming days. They have been very quiet since the original story broke.

Probably all the illegal Slavic immigrants they have working for them are cutting those stories out of the paper.

If the media are quiet about it, it probably just means there's nothing to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Simple Paulie, a polling card does not entitle anyone to vote. A ballot paper does. A ballot paper will not be given to anyone simply because they have a polling card. You and I both know that your polling card is checked against the electoral register to ensure you are entitled to a ballot paper. You have heard right on this thread about people being turned away because they weren't entitled to vote. Do you not think that after this story broke the polling stations were extra careful at checking the register? No?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Probably all the illegal Slavic immigrants they have working for them are cutting those stories out of the paper.

If the media are quiet about it, it probably just means there's nothing to report.

Or more likely that they do not a single post from p.ie and a guy that overhead some people with a funny accent in a polling center, as the main sources for a story on mass voter fraud .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭speaktofrank

I know A French girl who has been in Dublin 8 years,she doesn't have an Irish passport though and voted today.....make of that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Tsk - no, no. When you don't hear about [your personal obsession] in the media, it's because the media are suppressing it. When you do hear about it in the media, it's because it's too big to suppress.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

I know A French girl who has been in Dublin 8 years,she doesn't have an Irish passport though and voted today.....make of that what you will.

Prepare to be grilled, Frank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I tell you what I'd make of it, taking it on face value, I'd say tell us what polling station it was, so a note could be sent to the relevant people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It is a seven year wait for naturalisation. The Poles arrived here en masse in 2004/2005.

Maybe they married and settled since?

I know that is inconceivable to some.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Anyone who claims that "I know someone who voted who shouldnt have been able to "

This means you know a crime has been committed. I assume you have done the correct thing and reported all you know to both the Gardai and the county council.

If it is true then it can be checked in a heatbeat by the council because all they have to do is check the marked copy of the register and see if that person voted and then check if they are an irish citizen.

If that is the case then i expect you to be back here and update the rest of us with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

* glances at sig *

Advertisement