Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thousands of Non-Irish sent polling cards.

Options
  • 28-09-2009 9:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Thousands of non-Irish nationals in Co. Kildare who are not entitled to vote in the Lisbon referendum have inadvertently received polling cards to do so.

It is understood the county's local election data base was used for the distribution of polling cards which resulted in the blunder.

The error could cause mayhem at polling stations on Friday unless steps are taken to undo the damage

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/thousands-of-nonirish-residents-sent-polling-cards-427818.html#ixzz0SQyp5TRx

I can hardly believe that it was an accident. It has also happened in parts of West Dublin. Only a small number of EU citizens have received Irish citizenship, as there is no need for them to do so, so it will be very apparent on Friday if large numbers turn up to vote, whether or not a thorough investigation was carried out.

Also, me and the missus have yet to receive our polling cards, yet non nationals, who are not entitled to vote, but living in the same area have. Something stinks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Excellent, so thats what I have to look forward to on Friday.

For the local/euro elections there was a letter beside some peoples names to indicate what elections they were eligible to vote in so all this will probably mean is that any non-nationals who go to vote will have wasted a trip.

As for you, if you know you're on the register then there isn't really a problem just bring ID. The electoral register has always been a bit of a mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ye, in my case this is becoming actually a bit of a joke at this stage.
    Received one the last time, but didn't think much of it. Then I was called for jury duty so I started thinking there's something wrong with my record on the electoral register. So I actually did something about it, because I had to get off that jury duty. Didn't want to blow a case or something - just in case.
    So they made me go to the local civic office where they took a photocopy of my passport and made me sign a note and all the while they were on the phone to the girl in the register.
    Guess what was in the post on Friday. Fvck it, I gonna go 'No' voting again so...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 932 ✭✭✭PaulieD

Dinner wrote: »
    Excellent, so thats what I have to look forward to on Friday.

For the local/euro elections there was a letter beside some peoples names to indicate what elections they were eligible to vote in so all this will probably mean is that any non-nationals who go to vote will have wasted a trip.

As for you, if you know you're on the register then there isn't really a problem just bring ID. The electoral register has always been a bit of a mess.

If such an error can be made with polling cards then how can we be assured a similar error hasn't occurred on the register itself? I have never been asked for ID before, I just flashed the polling card.

As I said, this stinks.:mad:

realcam wrote: »
    Received one the last time, but didn't think much of it. Then I was called for jury duty so I started thinking there's something wrong with my record on the electoral register. So I actually did something about it, because I had to get off that jury duty. Didn't want to blow a case or something - just in case.
    So they made me go to the local civic office where they took a photocopy of my passport and made me sign a note and all the while they were on the phone to the girl in the register.
    Guess what was in the post on Friday. Fvck it, I gonna go 'No' voting again so...

Are you a British or Irish citizen?

PaulieD wrote: »
    Are you a British or Irish citizen?

Nope, Alemannia

Edit: Thats supposed to mean German

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

If such an error can be made with polling cards then how can we be assured a similar error hasn't occurred on the register itself? I have never been asked for ID before, I just flashed the polling card.

As I said, this stinks.:mad:

Just make sure that you're still on it - http://www.checktheregister.ie/

It's probably just an admin error where people who are on the electoral register but are only eligible to vote in local elections were mistakenly posted out polling cards. I got my polling card so there hasn't been a complete mess up.

Dinner wrote: »
    Just make sure that you're still on it - http://www.checktheregister.ie/

Just checked this. Still a 'P'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

Also, me and the missus have yet to receive our polling cards, yet non nationals, who are not entitled to vote, but living in the same area have. Something stinks.
    You could have sorted that out at least three weeks ago when the polling cards were due to be sent out.

Justind wrote: »
    You could have sorted that out at least three weeks ago when the polling cards were due to be sent out.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I am assured I will have my polling card by Wednesday, time will tell. In the summer, I received my polling card two weeks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

1) Polling cards are for informational purposes only. They do not, and i repeat do NOT give anyone a right to vote.

2)You do not need a polling card to vote. Bring ID with you and you will be fine.

3)This is not a conspiracy, it looks like some genuis must have hit a button that thought it was a local election and not a referednum so everyone who is a British,European and Other got a sent a polling card. This means that when they show up the polling staff will see by the letter beside their name on the resgister they cannot vote. Case of Hanlon's razor applies here.

4)This is not linked to the register being a mess. They are 2 seperate unrelated issues

• Advertisement

Agent J wrote: »
    1) Polling cards are for informational purposes only. They do not, and i repeat do NOT give anyone a right to vote.

True. But how many times have you been asked to provide both ID and your polling card, before voting? Indeed, one poster on here, who is a German citizen, has stated that he voted in the last referendum.
    1)2)You do not need a polling card to vote. Bring ID with you and you will be fine.

True.
    1)3)This is not a conspiracy, it looks like some genuis must have hit a button that thought it was a local election and not a referednum so everyone who is a British,European and Other got a sent a polling card. This means that when they show up the polling staff will see by the letter beside their name on the resgister they cannot vote. Case of Hanlon's razor applies here.

In two separate electoral areas? Cmon.

Also, how many times have you been asked for id when exercising your vote? I have always provided my polling card, I have never been asked to provide identification.
    1)4)This is not linked to the register being a mess. They are 2 seperate unrelated issues

They both stem from the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Govt. must be p*ssed of seeing as 95% of Europeans would vote No.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    The Govt. must be p*ssed of seeing as 95% of Europeans would vote No.

In their own country.

Immigrants are a different kettle of fish, in the words of De Bert, "they wouldnt want to upset the apple tart".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

I've worked as poll clerk on several elections. I know the procedure backwards at this point.
    True. But how many times have you been asked to provide both ID and your polling card, before voting? Indeed, one poster on here, who is a German citizen, has stated that he voted in the last referendum.

Anedoctal evidence. If they claimed to be Irish while registering then they should be done for it. If it was a case of the poll clerk not being awake enough to spot the obvious letter beside their name then they should be fired.

A few times actually. It is not mandatory to check ID on all people btw. The polling card gives us something to check on the register to make sure they are able to vote. At random or if we have any doubt whatsoever then we can ask for ID. A lot of people are obliging and hand over ID with their polling card anyway.
    In two separate electoral areas? Cmon.

Yeah, Dublin west and Kildare North. Both Areas right beside each other, id love to know the speficis if it was the same contractor and this should be investigated but its irrelevant for the sake of the referednum anyway as i have already said because what will happen is they will just get turned away as soon as it shows on the register they are not Irish.

For the record, i'll be manning a station on friday in Kildare north so this is going to make my life interesting.
    They both stem from the same problem.

No, They dont.

The register needs an overall. I do not dispute this. But what has happened here as i have already said is that some one must have acted like it was a local election and hit print or whatever the hell they do for it.

The register could be perfect and this issue would still have arisen because the cards have been sent out as if it was a Local election and not a referedum.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

True. But how many times have you been asked to provide both ID and your polling card, before voting?
    Twice in my case, though not in recent years. I tend to take the advice on the polling card and bring ID with me. The odd time when I've not been sent a polling card I assume the advice hasn't changed.

Then again, personation's probably big in Limerick. I'm quite disappointed when they don't ask for ID. Once or twice I haven't been asked for either, which is extremely disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Did you vote in the last referendum? Do you have an Irish passport?

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    Did you vote in the last referendum? Do you have an Irish passport?

Yes. No.

sceptre wrote: »
    Twice in my case, though not in recent years. I tend to take the advice on the polling card and bring ID with me. The odd time when I've not been sent a polling card I assume the advice hasn't changed.

Then again, personation's probably big in Limerick. I'm quite disappointed when they don't ask for ID. Once or twice I haven't been asked for either, which is extremely disappointing.

I can understand that, maybe they recognised your mug.

I live in one of the affected areas I mentioned in my opening post. I have never once, been asked for identification whilst voting, my polling card always sufficed. Only time will tell if this "mistake" has been rectified or not, on voting day.

Yes. No.

You committed electoral fraud then.

We will need to build a new prison to lock up all the offenders so. This is encouraged, by certain parties. Blame those who issued the polling cards, not the illegal voters.

Remember the local election fiasco, in Longford and Monaghan?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fresh-poll-fraud-fears-as-another-full-house-is-vacant-1807405.html

• Advertisement

Yes. Or else I didn't know and when being sent the voting card and also finding myself on the list in the local school I was under the assumption that they sure know what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

Thousands of non-Irish nationals in Co. Kildare who are not entitled to vote in the Lisbon referendum have inadvertently received polling cards to do so.

It is understood the county's local election data base was used for the distribution of polling cards which resulted in the blunder.

The error could cause mayhem at polling stations on Friday unless steps are taken to undo the damage

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/thousands-of-nonirish-residents-sent-polling-cards-427818.html#ixzz0SQyp5TRx

I can hardly believe that it was an accident. It has also happened in parts of West Dublin. Only a small number of EU citizens have received Irish citizenship, as there is no need for them to do so, so it will be very apparent on Friday if large numbers turn up to vote, whether or not a thorough investigation was carried out.

I think the website you quoted is self explanatory !

Quote:

These sort of mishaps happen from time to time...typical human error..lets get over it and get to the main issue of what outcome we individuallly deisre based on our judgement and convictions.

I am Nigerian now Irish( both actually) and based on facts I am still undecided but I am slowly but surely getting there.

P.S Unless you would assume that the error was masterminded by Foreigners in Ireland

Yes. Or else I didn't know and when being sent the voting card and also finding myself on the list in the local school I was under the assumption that they sure know what they're doing.

Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is no excuse. The responsibility was on you to ensure you were not committing a crime. Of course other were complicit in this, but you committed the fraud by casting the vote.

Unfortunately, ignorance of the law is no excuse. The responsibility was on you to ensure you were not committing a crime. Of course other were complicit in this, but you committed the fraud by casting the vote.

I think that's quite a strong vocabulary for what happened.
    I reckon if I went down to the local Garda station and reported myself I'd be send to the nuthouse instead.
    Also, I tried actually to rectify the error of the electoral registar. Something I'm sure not a lot of people would bother doing and yet the folks at the register can't get their act together.
    My feelings of remorse are limited here tbh.

procure11 wrote: »
    I think the website you quoted is self explanatory !

Quote:

These sort of mishaps happen from time to time...typical human error..lets get over it and get to the main issue of what outcome we individuallly deisre based on our judgement and convictions.

I am Nigerian now Irish( both actually) and based on facts I am still undecided but I am slowly but surely getting there.

P.S Unless you would assume that the error was masterminded by Foreigners in Ireland

Well they are hardly going to claim differently, now arent they? Unless, of course, they want a court case on their hands.

Cases, such as this have happened all too frequent. We have had the electoral fraud in Monaghan and Longford, involving foreign nationals, and now we have foreigners being issued with polling cards in both West Dublin and Kildare. It stinks.

You said you were residing in Ireland for three years, how did you acquire citizneship in such a brief period?

I never claimed it was the foreigners fault. Stop putting words in my mouth. You are only dying to use the race card.:rolleyes:

I think that's quite a strong vocabulary for what happened.
    I reckon if I went down to the local Garda station and reported myself I'd be send to the nuthouse instead.
    Also, I tried actually to rectify the error of the electoral register. Something I'm sure not a lot of people would bother doing and yet the folks at the register can't get their act together.
    My feelings of remorse are limited here tbh.

I'm afraid I do not share your apathy towards electoral fraud. I see it as a very serious offense. Maybe that is just me. You know you did wrong. You cast a vote that you had no entitlement to do.

If you are so confident I suggest you do go and make a full admission to the Gardai. The people in the Franchise Section of the County Council also have a case to answer.

Well they are hardly going to claim differently, now arent they? Unless, of course, they want a court case on their hands.

Cases, such as this have happened all too frequent. We have had the electoral fraud in Monaghan and Longford, involving foreign nationals, and now we have foreigners being issued with polling cards in both West Dublin and Kildare. It stinks.

You said you were residing in Ireland for three years, how did you acquire citizneship in such a brief period?

I never claimed it was the foreigners fault. Stop putting words in my mouth. You are only dying to use the race card.:rolleyes:

What is your business with that tbh???
    If you have a problem with it ,the Immigration office is at St Stephen's green.

FYI:You get Irish citizenship after marraige to an Irish citizen for 3 years(I guess much to your disgust!!)

procure11 wrote: »
    What is your business with that tbh???
    If you have a problem with it ,the Immigration office is at St Stephen's green.

FYI:You get Irish citizenship after marraige to an Irish citizen for 3 years(I guess much to your disgust!!)

I couldnt give a damn who you married. But please, continue to play the martyr.

If you are so confident I suggest you do go and make a full admission to the Gardai.

I think I've done my bit by going to the civic office taking time of work doing so. From here on it's 'whatever' I'm afraid. Chances are I won't be voting this time anyway.

• Advertisement

I couldnt give a damn who you married. But please, continue to play the martyr.

Coming back to your question???

It would have been a honest mistake and nothing to worry about ..simply because the non-nationals are not eligible to vote anyway,so they would politely be turned back on polling day.
    No cause for alarm!!!

Advertisement