Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Leary admits on TV3 that Ryanairs Yes campaign is all about getting Aer Lingus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

AARRRGH wrote: »
    If some country wants to change something in the Lisbon treaty (using article 48), will we get to vote whether or not we want that change, or will our government decide for us?

It depends on the issue. Just like the government make legislation every day without a referendum they can make some changes under article 48 without referendum. Any changes to our constitution will still require a referendum

Do you want to have a referendum on every change in legislation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

We will get to vote on anything that increases the competence of the European Union, be that amendment or treaty.

So you're saying if at any stage in the future the EU decided to change our tax rate, we would definitely get to vote on it? There is no chance it could be implemented without us voting on it?

We will get to vote on anything that increases the competence of the European Union, be that amendment or treaty.

I don't think the simplified procedure can be used for that, referendum or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

So you're saying if at any stage in the future the EU decided to change our tax rate, we would definitely get to vote on it? There is no chance it could be implemented without us voting on it?

Absolutely no chance, it's cast iron by our constitution and the crotty judgement.

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I don't think the simplified procedure can be used for that, referendum or not

Read the post again, I'm talking in general terms, using any method, now or which may be invented in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Absolutely no chance, it's cast iron by our constitution and the crotty judgement.

OK, I'll take your word for it.

But if you turn out to be wrong... I'll batter ya!

OK, I'll take your word for it.

But if you turn out to be wrong... I'll batter ya!

I'll pay your tax for you if I'm wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

MOL: No, Look my campaign for a Yes vote...aah..one of the reasons that I am campaigning for a Yes vote is that our government is incompetent and yet I need to persude them to sell me Aer Lingus. The nonsense that I need European approval is just that, rubbish. Look, I'm campaigning for a yes vote because I think it's in the best interest of the Irish economy and the nearly 500,000 people who will be unemployed at the end of the year.

So the reasons he is promoting a yes vote are

1. To help persuade our government to sell him Aer Lingus
    2.a Best interests of Irish Economy
    2.b and the 500,000 who WILL be unemployed by years end.

It is quite clear to me that his wish to purchase Aer Lingus is central to his reasons for promoting a Yes vote.
    Having watched his performance on TV and noted his history of dealing with his workers (and their rights) I would be inclined to believe that the Aer Lingus deal is the major reason for his involvement, the others being thrown in to try to legitimise his stance.
    O'Leary admits on TV3 that Ryanairs Yes campaign is all about getting Aer Lingus

So the only part of the 'thread heading' I could have a problem with, is the inclusion of the word "all". With that omitted it is accurate, IMO. It may even be accurate with it included .....

So the reasons he is promoting a yes vote are

1. To help persuade our government to sell him Aer Lingus
    You can think that if you want but that's not what he said.

Read the post again, I'm talking in general terms, using any method, now or which may be invented in the future.

I see :)

• Advertisement

You can think that if you want but that's not what he said.

I find it difficult to read this any other way. Do you have a different interpretation?
    one of the reasons that I am campaigning for a Yes vote is that our government is incompetent and yet I need to persuade them to sell me Aer Lingus.

I find it difficult to read this any other way. Do you have a different interpretation?

Yes if you take that part of the quote in isolation it does appear to be saying that but if you take the entire sentence you'll realise he was saying the exact opposite. The meaning of the sentence is to say that one of his reasons for his campaign is that the government is incompetent and he therefore doesn't trust them to win it. He then mentioned as a problem caused by their incompetence that he needs them to sell him Aer Lingus and they won't sell it to him

It's quite obvious if you watch the whole interview in context which is why the context wasn't given

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    except no one elected him

and he cant take NO for an answer and lingers around like a bad smell

:D

This Government also can't take NO for an answer - if they did, we wouldn't be voting on this Treaty again. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

ghost_ie wrote: »
    This Government also can't take NO for an answer - if they did, we wouldn't be voting on this Treaty again. :)

except Ganley made alot of noise about how he can take No for an answer

and would "retire"

oh and our current government were elected by the people (who regret that now)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

one thing i want to know will the aerlingus shares go up or down if O'leary buys it

Yes if you take that part of the quote in isolation it does appear to be saying that but if you take the entire sentence you'll realise he was saying the exact opposite. The meaning of the sentence is to say that one of his reasons for his campaign is that the government is incompetent and he therefore doesn't trust them to win it. He then mentioned as a problem caused by their incompetence that he needs them to sell him Aer Lingus and they won't sell it to him

It's quite obvious if you watch the whole interview in context which is why the context wasn't given

Strange that, as I quoted what you posted as the context.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Strange that, as I quoted what you posted as the context.
    What was said:

Yates: Do you think that your campaign for a yes vote will ensure commission approval?

MOL: No, Look my campaign for a Yes vote...aah..one of the reasons that I am campaigning for a Yes vote is that our government is incompetent and yet I need to persuade them to sell me Aer Lingus. The nonsense that I need European approval is just that, rubbish. Look, I'm campaigning for a yes vote because I think it's in the best interest of the Irish economy and the nearly 500,000 people who will be unemployed at the end of the year.

You have taken the exact opposite meaning from the intended one. Well done

This help?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

one thing i want to know will the aerlingus shares go up or down if O'leary buys it

And if we get a No, do Ganleys friends benefit?

We can all play this game.

One thing seems odd, why would Ryanair support an EU that can "supposedly" increase Corporation Tax?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

meglome wrote: »
    This help?

No, as you have just quoted the same text as I did when I first posted on the subject and made the comments which I have been queried on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

I think it's fairly clear that you can take from this what you prefer. However, the original "quote" was entirely made up.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

No, as you have just quoted the same text as I did when I first posted on the subject and made the comments which I have been queried on.

Sorry I thought it was quite obvious what he meant but I suppose we could try and ask O'Leary himself.

Johnboy, it's abundantly clear what was meant. He gave his reasons for campaigning for a yes vote as:

1. The government is incompetent
    2. I think it's in the best interest of the Irish economy and the nearly 500,000 people who will be unemployed at the end of the year.

And he mentioned in the context of the interview, as the question Yates asked was about buying Aer Lingus, that the government's incompetence is preventing him from buying them. He was asked if he was trying to get approval from the European commission by campaigning for a yes and he explained that they have no say in the matter. If you want to believe he said something else you can but it will just be one more thing to add to list list of lies and half truths propping up the no side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Declan Ganley just used this on a debate on Pat Kenny in the OP's context. Hilarious. What was almost as funny, not a single of the opposition picked up on it. If only they read boards.ie :pac:

If only they read boards.ie :pac:

If I had a cent for every time I had this thought about the 'yes' side during this campaign, I could out poster Coir and Libertas put together...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Declan Ganley just used this on a debate on Pat Kenny in the OP's context. Hilarious. What was almost as funny, not a single of the opposition picked up on it. If only they read boards.ie :pac:

They really should. It would help when the likes of Joe Higgins incorrectly quote Articles or leave bits out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭jacool

He gave his reasons for campaigning for a yes vote as:
    1. The government is incompetent
    2. I think it's in the best interest of the Irish economy and the nearly 500,000 people who will be unemployed at the end of the year.
    The first reason seems ridiculous, as ridiculous as people who voted NO first time round for that reason. He can justify it as a reason for him campaigning if a) he says the government is incompetent in its campaign (true)
    b) he thinks that some pan-European body will take power from our "incompetents", which would be very interesting.
    His second reason, if true, is simple logic for him as a businessman.

I sincerely hope that O'Leary is now removed from "political" debate as he was an ignoramus when up against Ganley on TV last week.

jacool wrote: »
    The first reason seems ridiculous, as ridiculous as people who voted NO first time round for that reason. He can justify it as a reason for him campaigning if a) he says the government is incompetent in its campaign (true)
    b) he thinks that some pan-European body will take power from our "incompetents", which would be very interesting.
    His second reason, if true, is simple logic for him as a businessman.

I sincerely hope that O'Leary is now removed from "political" debate as he was an ignoramus when up against Ganley on TV last week.

It's a) the government is incompetent in its campaign. No rational person thinks b) is a possibility of he Lisbon treaty

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

jacool wrote: »
    I sincerely hope that O'Leary is now removed from "political" debate as he
    was an ignoramus when up against Ganley on TV last week.

And Ganley is what exactly.... a gentleman?
    The last chunk of an hour-long debate focussed on militarisation, where Mr De Rossa dismissed Mr Ganley's point.
    What appeared to irk Mr Ganley was a comment from Mr De Rossa about links to the US establishment.
    But when the show ended, they really let loose off air with Ganley calling Mr de Rossa "a f****ing traitor" and repeatedly saying, "I know what your agenda is".
    Mr De Rossa retorted with an ungentlemanly comment....Mr Ganley hit back with a description of Mr De Rossa, beginning with the letter 'P', which wasn't patriot..

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ganley-de-rossa-turn-air-blue-after-radio-row-1898172.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Potentially being the operative word. It's not a certainty that Ireland's place in Europe would be affected by a No vote, and yet the Yes side's greatest leverage is to convince people that the country is fcuked if we vote No

Well facing up to reality its ****ed with or without Lisbon, after the referendum this will all become clearer:(.
    We do need the ECB to lend to us as generally no one else will, perhaps the IMF:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭rumour

Good question, I'd gamble up but don't expect dividends.

Advertisement