Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me a few good reasons why its in my best interests and others to vote yes?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

caseyann wrote: »
    And where did you live while living off less then 200 a week and how long ago was that ;)

My welfare comes from my taxes and stamps i have paid thanks very much ;)

Not in the thousands ;)

Unfortunately i do not live in Galway:( And i know many many a Irish person who would do them jobs.I would not be surprised if you will find some here moving to galway to get them jobs if they see that ;)

And where is Dell going now? :D

5-7 years ago in Galway :(

before that it was in punts

i would rather flip burgers that go on dole, unfortunately alot of people see jobs in catering as below them

btw the thread title is

"Give me a few good reasons why its in my best interests and others to vote yes?"

so the links i provided are bang on topic

/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I was never saying to repatronize the ones who have made a real life for themselves here.ofc the ones who have made proper structured lives here and intend to stay for many years to come are welcome.

I still think there should a limit to who and what they are allowed to come in for sorry thats how i feel.
    They should not have been allowed willie nillie to come into the country and go for jobs in shops etc.... they were not needed for them sectors.
    Construction,engineering management chemistry areas were other languages are needed etc... fair enough.

Actually, I'd imagine it was quite hard to find an Irish person willing to work in shops, or scrub sh*t out of a toilet over the last 9 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

When would you walk into a city in Ireland and see a majority of workers of any nationality but Irish?

And as you allude to, but avoid saying, we live in our tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands in the UK. Certainly the figure gets into the the millions when you take those who declare 'Irish' as their ethnicity.

All the time ;)

UK is a different story that comes part in parcel over decades ;)

Actually, I'd imagine it was quite hard to find an Irish person willing to work in shops, or scrub sh*t out of a toilet over the last 9 years.

Mistaken ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

All the time ;)

UK is a different story that comes part in parcel over decades ;)

If it's a different story it's because we are going there, and taking their jobs, not because it's objectively different.

So please name me a City in Ireland where the majority of workers, aren't Irish.

I imagine the Census will be of help to you in your research, if you can't think of one off the top of your head...

• Advertisement

And where is Dell going now? :D

Poland

because the Irish would rather sit at home on the dole than work competitively

see how many more companies would leave if your discriminatory ideas ever are put to work or god help we leave the EU

My welfare comes from my taxes and stamps i have paid thanks very much

and where does the public sector wage come from

the country is 20-30billion down a hole thus year alone

money that will not come from taxpayers

to put thinks into perspective

the total tax take is 35billion and falling
    and the welfare bill is 20billion and rising

/

Mistaken ;)

walk into a Supermacs lately?

why dont you count how many Irish people are willing to work there and places like it

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I believe if the Irish person has the experience then yes,when plentiful work no and ofc level of qualifications and experience..If already in a job with recession i don't think they should be discriminated against either and sacked before the Irish person.Judged by English standard and work standard then decision made.
    If lets say the Irish worker and German worker are doing same job,and the Irish worker takes more sick days or does not work as hard then they should be let go first.
    But going abroad to work in cafes and shops for a time is completely different to having full time work and living here non stop in the thousands. What country is Irish in the thousands living and working full time barr the obvious. Don't you think? When would you walk into a city in Germany and see majority of workers Irish over the Germans or any other country for the matter.

As has been pointed out, you aren't comparing like for like. I don't see a majority of Germans here at all.
    Mistaken ;)

I'd agree that now definitely a lot more Irish will work in catering and retail now for example. That wasn't the case for the last 10 years. Finance and Construction where the sexy sectors. Even the pharmaceutical sector wasn't that attractive. You had staff shortages for retail and catering with Unemployment figures of about 150,000.

The recession has come and people now get p*ssed of at this. I can see why you take your view, but it isn't the EU's fault. It was a badly managed economy by FF.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

If it's a different story it's because we are going there, and taking their jobs, not because it's objectively different.

So please name me a City in Ireland where the majority of workers, aren't Irish.

I imagine the Census will be of help to you in your research, if you can't think of one off the top of your head...

No its different because we are not getting off the boat in the thousands into every corner.

I didn't say majority of workers are not Irish in any one given city that's impossible i hope.
    I said in the sectors where work can be gotten is majority non Irish in shops etc......

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Roland

because the Irish would rather sit at home on the dole than work competitively

see how many more companies would leave if your discriminatory ideas ever are put to work or god help we leave the EU

and where does the public sector wage come from

the country is 20-30billion down a hole thus year alone

money that will not come from taxpayers

to put thinks into perspective

the total tax take is 35billion and falling
    and the welfare bill is 20billion and rising

/

Thats a very loud claim to make :mad:

Oh so because i would think that in the climate the Irish should get jobs in their own country first,is going to make the companies leave with my attitude :rolleyes:

And why is that because Irish are losing their jobs and no jobs to go to ;)

• Advertisement

walk into a Supermacs lately?

why dont you count how many Irish people are willing to work there and places like it

Have you been to supermacs lately :p

I would say majority of them if there was a job to be got ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I said in the sectors where work can be gotten is majority non Irish in shops etc......

So work can be gotten......... what's your issue? Go out and take it :confused:

Oh so because i would think that in the climate the Irish should get jobs in their own country first,is going to make the companies leave with my attitude :rolleyes:

And why is that because Irish are losing their jobs and no jobs to go to ;)

thats not a loud claim to make

just walk into any fastfood restaurant and count the number of Irish people working there

there are jobs but when you get paid more to sit on dole than you would by flipping burgers for a whole week, there is no incentive to work, and we can see this in action

/

The office block where I work had a contract out recently for cleaning staff. They advertised for staff and didn't get a single application from a native Irish national.

5-7 years ago in Galway :(

before that it was in punts

i would rather flip burgers that go on dole, unfortunately alot of people see jobs in catering as below them

btw the thread title is

"Give me a few good reasons why its in my best interests and others to vote yes?"

so the links i provided are bang on topic

/

Yeah i lived on that to then so what of it ;) was alot easier to live on that then then now:rolleyes:

Whats that change into in euros?

And i worked jobs flipping burgers and assembly and warehouse and in coffee shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

I was never saying to repatronize the ones who have made a real life for themselves here.ofc the ones who have made proper structured lives here and intend to stay for many years to come are welcome.

The point I'm making is that there really will not be that many new immigrants coming here for the next few years. What happened since '04 was an exceptional occurence connected with our boom/bubble. So there is no solution to the fact that there are not enough jobs for the native Irish and the immigrants.

I still think there should a limit to who and what they are allowed to come in for sorry thats how i feel.
    They should not have been allowed willie nillie to come into the country and go for jobs in shops etc.... they were not needed for them sectors.
    Construction,engineering management chemistry areas were other languages are needed etc... fair enough.

But coming back to the same point... I hear what you are saying but there is no need or point in having a limit now. It would just hurt Ireland. When immigrants were coming in in large numbers they were needed for all sectors. We had near full employment and were recruiting people abroad. I would argue that we should not have keep the boom/bubble going and hence we should not have been in a situation where we needed all those immigrants but that is what happened.

Now we just have to take the pain of adjusting to a lower level of employment/ higher level of unemployment and we must not fall into a trap of blaming the immigrants who we enticed here during the boom/bubble. It's not their fault.

It's a moot point arguing about restrictions now. They will achieve nothing. Anyhow the states that joined in 2004 now can go everywhere except Germany and Austria, and those states can only restrict access until 2011.

Ix

Have you been to supermacs lately :p

I would say majority of them if there was a job to be got ;)

here you go so nothing stopping you getting a job, despite worst recession in history there is no lack on min wage jobs

http://jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=983454

more catering jobs here @ http://jobs.ie/Jobs.aspx?Categories=241&Regions=&Keywords=

also

go to > http://www.supermacs.ie/ press > Careers > Job vacancies

they are still hiring

K-9 wrote: »
    As has been pointed out, you aren't comparing like for like. I don't see a majority of Germans here at all.

I'd agree that now definitely a lot more Irish will work in catering and retail now for example. That wasn't the case for the last 10 years. Finance and Construction where the sexy sectors. Even the pharmaceutical sector wasn't that attractive. You had staff shortages for retail and catering with Unemployment figures of about 150,000.

The recession has come and people now get p*ssed of at this. I can see why you take your view, but it isn't the EU's fault. It was a badly managed economy by FF.

And in that estimate how many were lets see unable to work to health reasons, never mind the slackers there is always going to be a rake of them;)

yeah so why should there be any vote of confidence in any of our political parties pushing for yes vote,when its clear they have messed up our economy.

Today the Central Statistics Office (CSO) released the Quarterly National Household Survey (QNHS) for Quarter 2 2009, which covers the period March to June. The QNHS Q2 '09 recorded a drop in employment levels by 8.2% in comparison to Q2 2008. With just a little over 1.9m in employment, employment has dropped back to Q1 2005 levels. However at that stage unemployment was only 4.2% and it is now 12%. Long-term unemployment has started to rise and now stands at 2.6% - a figure not seen since early 1999. Over the last year, 174,300 jobs were lost against 23,800 created. Out of the six categories where jobs were created, three are funded through the public purse and so future employment growth is doubtful.
    Looking at it from a gender perspective, of the three categories that account for 44% of male employment in Q2 2009, employment levels fell by 21.9% over the year. These three categories include construction; industry; and wholesale and retail trade. The decline in construction employment was particularly dramatic at 64%. Overall 86,000 construction jobs were lost which accounted for almost half of the total job losses.

The picture for women is different as two of the three categories that make up 49.7% of women's employment saw growth of 2.4% and these sectors are: education; and human health and social work activities. The proposed cuts in public expenditure will have a particular impact on women's employment rate. The third category, wholesale and retail trade, saw women's employment fall by 6.5%.
    "It is clear from these statistics that unemployment must become the Government's top priority," said Bríd O'Brien, Head of Policy and Media with the INOU. "At a time of private sector retrenchment, the State must play an increasing role in our economic development otherwise it will be extremely difficult to address unemployment when it becomes increasingly long-term and embedded," she concluded.
    http://www.inou.ie/

It was because there was to much work,but the influx of the amount of immigrants that came to Ireland was above the quota needed.
    Not taken into account the amount of school leavers and 16 and over who also would have looked for part time jobs in anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

It was because there was to much work,but the influx of the amount of immigrants that came to Ireland was above the quota needed.
    Not taken into account the amount of school leavers and 16 and over who also would have looked for part time jobs in anything.

But they were needed. No one migrated here to be unemployed. It's only now that we have had an economic crash that there are Irish seeking the jobs that immigrants (existing ones not really new ones) are seeking. And only really now that Irish are complaining about the immigrants holding jobs that they themselves might want.

Having said that I accept that this is painful for Irish people. However since there is now a net outflow of people from Ireland immigration restrictions would be worse than pointless. They would be counter-productive since they would encourage the other states to do the same.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And in that estimate how many were lets see unable to work to health reasons, never mind the slackers there is always going to be a rake of them;)

yeah so why should there be any vote of confidence in any of our political parties pushing for yes vote,when its clear they have messed up our economy.

Today the Central Statistics Office (CSO) released the Quarterly National Household Survey (QNHS) for Quarter 2 2009, which covers the period March to June. The QNHS Q2 '09 recorded a drop in employment levels by 8.2% in comparison to Q2 2008. With just a little over 1.9m in employment, employment has dropped back to Q1 2005 levels. However at that stage unemployment was only 4.2% and it is now 12%. Long-term unemployment has started to rise and now stands at 2.6% - a figure not seen since early 1999. Over the last year, 174,300 jobs were lost against 23,800 created. Out of the six categories where jobs were created, three are funded through the public purse and so future employment growth is doubtful.
    Looking at it from a gender perspective, of the three categories that account for 44% of male employment in Q2 2009, employment levels fell by 21.9% over the year. These three categories include construction; industry; and wholesale and retail trade. The decline in construction employment was particularly dramatic at 64%. Overall 86,000 construction jobs were lost which accounted for almost half of the total job losses.

The picture for women is different as two of the three categories that make up 49.7% of women's employment saw growth of 2.4% and these sectors are: education; and human health and social work activities. The proposed cuts in public expenditure will have a particular impact on women's employment rate. The third category, wholesale and retail trade, saw women's employment fall by 6.5%.
    "It is clear from these statistics that unemployment must become the Government's top priority," said Bríd O'Brien, Head of Policy and Media with the INOU. "At a time of private sector retrenchment, the State must play an increasing role in our economic development otherwise it will be extremely difficult to address unemployment when it becomes increasingly long-term and embedded," she concluded.
    http://www.inou.ie/

Fair enough, but what has this got to do with Lisbon and the EU? Not being flippant, but the Govt. could have availed of the derogation back then and we'd be opening the borders in a year or two. Again, this seems to be a FF issue, not the EU.

The lates figures show net emigration and about 18,000 Irish leaving. Most probably are to the UK, USA and Australia, but the free market is there if you want to go to the rest of Europe. Why more don't is probably more to do with language and cultural and historical ties.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chachabinx

Well the way my dad put it to me today was "look at the way the country is run by our government, Do you like it? no! Well then vote yes!"

here you go so nothing stopping you getting a job, despite worst recession in history there is no lack on min wage jobs

http://jobs.ie/ApplyForJob.aspx?Id=983454

more catering jobs here @ http://jobs.ie/Jobs.aspx?Categories=241&Regions=&Keywords=

also

go to > http://www.supermacs.ie/ press > Careers > Job vacancies

they are still hiring

Not that its any of your business but i am already on that site and applied for hundreds of jobs and went for loads of interviews ;) and guess what haven't heard a thing back yet.

Also in the majority of the ones that are accesible to me i dont habe the proper experience by a hair :(

barr supermacs for some reason i cant get onto the site :confused:

ixtlan wrote: »
    The point I'm making is that there really will not be that many new immigrants coming here for the next few years. What happened since '04 was an exceptional occurence connected with our boom/bubble. So there is no solution to the fact that there are not enough jobs for the native Irish and the immigrants.

But coming back to the same point... I hear what you are saying but there is no need or point in having a limit now. It would just hurt Ireland. When immigrants were coming in in large numbers they were needed for all sectors. We had near full employment and were recruiting people abroad. I would argue that we should not have keep the boom/bubble going and hence we should not have been in a situation where we needed all those immigrants but that is what happened.

Now we just have to take the pain of adjusting to a lower level of employment/ higher level of unemployment and we must not fall into a trap of blaming the immigrants who we enticed here during the boom/bubble. It's not their fault.

It's a moot point arguing about restrictions now. They will achieve nothing. Anyhow the states that joined in 2004 now can go everywhere except Germany and Austria, and those states can only restrict access until 2011.

Ix

Where have i blamed the immigrant?

Anyway the thread has spiraled away to not you,but others taking all over the place.

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Caseyann ..... I dont understand what answer you are looking for ...... Voting YES or NO to Lisbon wont make it easier for you to get a job.

Personally I'll be throwing my vote towards the NO side - purely on the basis that the Government we have are in support of it and we all know how useless they are... so in my opinion voting "No" will show them that the people still have their opinion and are willing to voice it.

(I know I'm going to get a torrent of abuse from YES campaigners - scofflaw/euro_kraut etc) and while I understand that this isnt meant to be about the Government its a European thing - true - but my opinion is my opinion and my vote is going to be cast.

just also to throw it out there - regardless of whether you vote "yes" or "no" ... wages will be lowered and more jobs will be lost. (something that the Yes campaign are afraid to admit and something that the No campaign seem to be trying to manipulate to their advantage - but they went a bit overboard with it.)

Well original question,why whould me and others like me vote yes at all.What worth is there in the Lisbon when we already are in the EU.When it wont cause any problems if we vote no then whats the big deal.
    But if you are voting no you have the yes people jump down your throat for making any kind of comment or question(not all but most)

From what i am seeing its like we are basically selling our selves to a European council and lets face Irish politicians are not the most aggressive nor intelligent group to say the least.
    I don't trust them nor this supposed EU commission.I am voting NO

I don't trust them nor this supposed EU commission.I am voting NO

so after 8 pages we finally come to a conclusion of sorts

?

so after 8 pages we finally come to a conclusion of sorts?

Looks that way, with two people voting no based on anything but the Treaty. Sigh.

prinz wrote: »
    Looks that way, with two people voting no based on anything but the Treaty. Sigh.

No it is based on fact i dont see anything in the treaty thats worth voting yes to ;):)

so after 8 pages we finally come to a conclusion of sorts

?

Yep thanks :) Nice to be still able to disagree with people and not be called stupid or lazy or a racist lmao

No it is based on fact i dont see anything in the treaty thats worth voting yes to ;):)

well if you still cant find a job a few years down the road

and that company that wanted to invest in ireland and changed mind and went elsewhere

do come to boards.ie to moan about the government and EU that "does nothing to help you"

prinz wrote:

oh we tried to explain

unfortunately i have a feeling her mind was made up before she posted here, and no amounts of evidence would help, oh well :D

/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Well original question,why whould me and others like me vote yes at all.What worth is there in the Lisbon when we already are in the EU.When it wont cause any problems if we vote no then whats the big deal.
    But if you are voting no you have the yes people jump down your throat for making any kind of comment or question(not all but most)

If you were out in a pub with 26 friends and they all really wanted to go to a pub across the road and you just said "why make a change, sure isn't this fine" and refused to move, forcing all of your friends to stay with you, would you think that was fair?

Advertisement