Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Give me a few good reasons why its in my best interests and others to vote yes?

Options
  • 28-09-2009 2:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭

As an Irish woman and unemployed although degrees in many things can not even get a job in a shop which i am over qualified for,should vote for more the Lisbon treaty?

When been a member of the EU last few years has pushed my self and others out of jobs already? Whats in this treaty to guarantee me and others like me, that if the economy takes a turn for the better will protect me and give me a right to a job first over non nationals? Where is the protection for our economy if we have our next Celtic tiger(WHICH CAN NOT BE QUARENTEED WITH LISBON TREATY) and we have an influx of other EU members again?

Thanking you C:)

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

caseyann wrote: »
    When been a member of the EU last few years has pushed my self and others out of jobs already?
    I have a problem with this premise. Can you explain how EU membership pushed you out of a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

As an Irish woman and unemployed although degrees in many things can not even get a job in a shop which i am over qualified for,should vote for more the Lisbon treaty?

When been a member of the EU last few years has pushed my self and others out of jobs already? Whats in this treaty to guarantee me and others like me, that if the economy takes a turn for the better will protect me and give me a right to a job first over non nationals? Where is the protection for our economy if we have our next Celtic tiger(WHICH CAN NOT BE QUARENTEED WITH LISBON TREATY) and we have an influx of other EU members again?

Thanking you C:)

You will not be getting "a right to a job first over non-nationals." If that is the yardstick by which you measure things, you should vote No, because the EU is undeniably full of foreigners.

regards,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

sure see this thread here What does a Yes vote Mean?

hope that helps? also checkout my signature

oh and see this here womenforeurope

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I have a problem with this premise. Can you explain how EU membership pushed you out of a job?

Yes i can,I believe in the previous agreement it was that only other EU members would be designated jobs by their skills,and in no way would undermine the right of an Irish citizen to a job.In what i have witnessed and encountered the non national is been given president over Irish workers.Irish workers should be given first preference to a job if ofc they have said skill and experience before non Irish national.Unless of course said non national has been living in Ireland or more skilled then Irish person.
    With the future membership of Serbia Turkey etc.. for me casts worries on the new influx of non nationals receiving jobs in areas were skill are not a necessity just experience.Like in stores call centres etc.....

I am not only person who thinks like this alot of Irish do but wont say out of fear of been call racist when its not.And people may take as racist but its not.Same as i believe that in other EU countries native to that country should get first preference if they have same skills as non national.
    Don't take offence Ocarbravo ;)

Still no answer to why the Lisbon treaty is going to help us who are out of work right now?

Scofflaw wrote: »
    You will not be getting "a right to a job first over non-nationals." If that is the yardstick by which you measure things, you should vote No, because the EU is undeniably full of foreigners.

regards,
    Scofflaw

Thats not what i am implying:rolleyes:
    I am asking how is it in our best interests with so many people out of work already here to vote yes to Lisbon Treaty,and how its protecting the rights of the Irish worker from not been overlooked for a job for a non national?

• Advertisement

Yes i can,I believe in the previous agreement it was that only other EU members would be designated jobs by their skills,and in no way would undermine the right of an Irish citizen to a job.In what i have witnessed and encountered the non national is been given president over Irish workers.Irish workers should be given first preference to a job if ofc they have said skill and experience before non Irish national.Unless of course said non national has been living in Ireland or more skilled then Irish person.
    With the future membership of Serbia Turkey etc.. for me casts worries on the new influx of non nationals receiving jobs in areas were skill are not a necessity just experience.Like in stores call centres etc.....

So someone who is better at a job than you doesnt deserve a promotion because of their race/nationality, even if they work harder or pay more taxes?

i cant believe what you've written, is just very wrong :(

im sorry to say it, but no wonder you lost your job

Still no answer to why the Lisbon treaty is going to help us who are out of work right now?

did you bother reading the linked material i provided?

/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...I believe in the previous agreement it was that only other EU members would be designated jobs by their skills,and in no way would undermine the right of an Irish citizen to a job.
    What previous agreement? There is no legal basis for discriminating between citizens of EU member states when filling jobs.
    In what i have witnessed and encountered the non national is been given president over Irish workers.Irish workers should be given first preference to a job if ofc they have said skill and experience before non Irish national.Unless of course said non national has been living in Ireland or more skilled then Irish person.
    What you're asking for is illegal in the EU, and rightly so.
    How is a "no" vote going to help you?

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    So someone who is better at a job than you doesnt deserve a promotion because of their race/nationality, even if they work harder or pay more taxes?

i cant believe what you've written, is just very wrong :(

im sorry to say it, but no wonder you lost your job

did you bother reading the linked material i provided?

/

Oh my god what where did i say that lmao :rolleyes:

I clearly outlined if they have same skills as Irish national that the Irish national Irish citizen or long standing resident, should be given the job first.Thats how i feel.
    If their skills and qualifications are more than the Irish person than no they should get the job over the Irish person or Irish citizen or long standing resident.
    Dont be all i cant believe you said that please.

I am in the middle of going to read what you link you gave me thanks.:) The woman's one doesn't speak to me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭DanR

Maybe if you vote yes we will get some nice foreigners over here with excellent grammer and spelling!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Thats not what i am implying:rolleyes:
    I am asking how is it in our best interests with so many people out of work already here to vote yes to Lisbon Treaty,and how its protecting the rights of the Irish worker from not been overlooked for a job for a non national?

There's no protection of that right, because that right doesn't exist in the first place.

You have the right to live and work in another EU country, and EU citizens from other countries have the right to live and work in Ireland. To discriminate in the provision of employment based on nationality is illegal.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    What previous agreement? There is no legal basis for discriminating between citizens of EU member states when filling jobs. What you're asking for is illegal in the EU, and rightly so. How is a "no" vote going to help you?

Oh god i am so not going into that with you i will be accused of been racist,even though i remember specifically in certain situation pertaining to the other Eu members entering into Ireland to work would be said that those who arrived would be received on the grounds of their qualifications and skills.That's not what i saw in last few years.What i saw was a whole load of people coming into jobs were specifically they do not need qualifications and skills.
    I am sorry Ireland is free for all.
    And i never got an answer once when i asked how many Irish nationals benefited through emigration in other EU countries that have benefited from us.
    Whats the statistics?

And dont turn this around to what will no do for me.
    I am asking what Yes will?

Oh god i am so not going into that with you i will be accused of been racist,even though i remember specifically in certain situation pertaining to the other Eu members entering into Ireland to work would be said that those who arrived would be received on the grounds of their qualifications and skills.That's not what i saw in last few years.What i saw was a whole load of people coming into jobs were specifically they do not need qualifications and skills.
    I am sorry Ireland is free for all.
    And i never got an answer once when i asked how many Irish nationals benefited through emigration in other EU countries that have benefited from us.
    Whats the statistics?

And dont turn this around to what will no do for me.
    I am asking what Yes will?

Are you sure that you're not thinking of work permits for Non-EU Citizens, which are usually granted on the basis of skills shortages, such as Nurses?

DanR wrote: »
    Maybe if you vote yes we will get some nice foreigners over here with excellent grammer and spelling!!

What the hell ever :mad: go crawl back under your rock ;)

If you cant answer the Question get lost :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

English langauge skills are certainly important...

Just wondering do you think Irish people should be allowed to travel to the UK and be treated as equal in applying for jobs?

Oh my god what where did i say that lmao :rolleyes:

I clearly outlined if they have same skills as Irish national that the Irish national Irish citizen or long standing resident, should be given the job first.Thats how i feel.
    If their skills and qualifications are more than the Irish person than no they should get the job over the Irish person or Irish citizen or long standing resident.
    Dont be all i cant believe you said that please.

I am in the middle of going to read what you link you gave me thanks.:) The woman's one doesn't speak to me though.

Your feeling stands against the very foundation of EU

Have you tried to find employment, in any of the 26 other countries in EU?

to which you can freely travel and enjoy the same workers rights as the locals?

instead of sitting here on welfare, which btw is in part funded by money from European countries, countries where the welfare is alot less than here in most cases

Im sorry but your viewpoint is very wrong, and as an employer i would avoid hiring someone with your attitude

But thats your opinion and choice

edit: does anyone else find it ironic that NO side harps on about workers rights while some people couldn't care less for them....

:(

Are you sure that you're not thinking of work permits for Non-EU Citizens, which are usually granted on the basis of skills shortages, such as Nurses?

Dammit am i :o shiat lmao sorry thanks is that what it is?

Dammit am i :o shiat lmao sorry thanks is that what it is?

That sounds similar to what you were originally describing. It doesn't apply to EU Citizens though.

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    Your feeling stands against the very foundation of EU

Have you tried to find employment, in any of the 26 other countries in EU

to which you can freely travel and enjoy the same workers rights as the locals?

instead of sitting here on welfare, which is in part funded by money from European countries btw where the welfare is alot less in most cases

Im sorry but your viewpoint is very wrong, and as an employer i would not someone like you

But thats your opinion and choice, if you dont how wrong your position is....

:(
    Can i bring to your attention your obvious lack of sentence construction and that i lost your meaning in some areas of your sentences.

And i dont want to work outside my home i want to work at home.

Living on social right :rolleyes: almost survival on social would be a word to better describe it thanks very much ;)
    Dont make assumptions about how long i am on social when you do not know me.
    You wouldn't hire me why lmao because i made slanderous racist remarks against anyone? :confused:

p.s as an employer shouldn't you be working instead of been on a computer trying to make like i am saying something i am not ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Casey:
    Unlike some here I won't ridicule your beliefs/grammar. I share some of your concerns over our immigration policy and believe we should have went down a similar path to the UK in restricting access to new member states of the E.U. As much as I'd like to see you vote No this however is a fuk up on national level, not european. It something you should bring up with your local TD's in future General elections. Trust me though they don't like to discuss this topic as it's a bit of a social taboo. It has little to do with Lisbon though.
    However your concerns may lead you down a path where you decide you are against our membership of the E.U. Again Lisbon is not a vote on our membership and if you find yourself in this situation you must ask yourself which E.U do you see as the lesser of two evils, pre- or post-lisbon. That's for you to decide if you find yourself there.
    I hope I have been of help to you and good luck in the job hunt, it's never easy!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Casey:
    Unlike some here I won't ridicule your beliefs/grammar. I share some of your concerns over our immigration policy and believe we should have went down a similar path to the UK in restricting access to new member states of the E.U. As much as I'd like to see you vote No this however is a fuk up on national level, not european. It something you should bring up with your local TD's in future General elections. Trust me though they don't like to discuss this topic as it's a bit of a social taboo. It has little to do with Lisbon though.
    However your concerns may lead you down a path where you decide you are against our membership of the E.U. Again Lisbon is not a vote on our membership and if you find yourself in this situation you must ask yourself which E.U do you see as the lesser of two evils, pre- or post-lisbon. That's for you to decide if you find yourself there.
    I hope I have been of help to you and good luck in the job hunt, it's never easy!

Thank you very much for that post.You honestly can not have a view or an opinion these days with been accused of been racist.
    I am asking an honest question with honest worries and looking for honest answers and getting attacked for thinking.
    I appreciate and thank you for your lack of discrimination:)
    Thank you for the good luck as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

Casey:
    I share some of your concerns over our immigration policy and believe we should have went down a similar path to the UK in restricting access to new member states of the E.U.

We copied the British cabinet's decision when deciding to allow unrestricted access from the 10 accession states in 2004 and we copied them again in deciding to restrict access from the 2 latest in 2007.

You don't seriously think that the Government ignored the British cabinet's decision when making its own "independent" decision, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I share some of your concerns over our immigration policy and believe we should have went down a similar path to the UK in restricting access to new member states of the E.U.

Good post but I think the UK had the same policy as us. Probably one of the reasons we did follow that policy.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

DanR wrote: »

And a sense of irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Caseyann ..... I dont understand what answer you are looking for ...... Voting YES or NO to Lisbon wont make it easier for you to get a job.

Personally I'll be throwing my vote towards the NO side - purely on the basis that the Government we have are in support of it and we all know how useless they are... so in my opinion voting "No" will show them that the people still have their opinion and are willing to voice it.

(I know I'm going to get a torrent of abuse from YES campaigners - scofflaw/euro_kraut etc) and while I understand that this isnt meant to be about the Government its a European thing - true - but my opinion is my opinion and my vote is going to be cast.

just also to throw it out there - regardless of whether you vote "yes" or "no" ... wages will be lowered and more jobs will be lost. (something that the Yes campaign are afraid to admit and something that the No campaign seem to be trying to manipulate to their advantage - but they went a bit overboard with it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

View wrote: »
    We copied the British cabinet's decision when deciding to allow unrestricted access from the 10 accession states in 2004 and we copied them again in deciding to restrict access from the 2 latest in 2007.

You don't seriously think that the Government ignored the British cabinet's decision when making its own "independent" decision, do you?
    K-9 wrote: »
    Good post but I think the UK had the same policy as us. Probably one of the reasons we did follow that policy.

Hmm odd. I always thought they had further restrictions than us. I was quite verbal about it at the time too and no one bothered to correct me :o Cheers guys. (Yikes :D)
    Anywho point remains, I think, restrictions are done at a national level and that's where those concerns should be pointed...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

What? :confused: Could you tell me what you're over-qualified for? What areas you have degrees in?

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    English langauge skills are certainly important...

Just wondering do you think Irish people should be allowed to travel to the UK and be treated as equal in applying for jobs?

Where did i say anyone shouldnt be allowed to travel and work? I am merely stating the amount and the cost to which Irish people will loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Caseyann ..... I dont understand what answer you are looking for ...... Voting YES or NO to Lisbon wont make it easier for you to get a job.

Personally I'll be throwing my vote towards the NO side - purely on the basis that the Government we have are in support of it and we all know how useless they are... so in my opinion voting "No" will show them that the people still have their opinion and are willing to voice it.

(I know I'm going to get a torrent of abuse from YES campaigners - scofflaw/euro_kraut etc) and while I understand that this isnt meant to be about the Government its a European thing - true - but my opinion is my opinion and my vote is going to be cast.

Fair enough. Does this mean you'll also vote against the proposed "Children's Rights" referendum on the basis that the Government are useless?

@ caseyann

i sent a pm apology

i went a bit overboard

hope all is cool now
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Hmm odd. I always thought they had further restrictions than us. I was quite verbal about it at the time too and no one bothered to correct me :o Cheers guys. (Yikes :D)
    Anywho point remains, I think, restrictions are done at a national level and that's where those concerns should be pointed...

Something tells me, even if we had availed of the derogation at the time, immigration would still be a big factor, though obviously not of the same extent.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement