Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate the English??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Snakeblood wrote: »
    To be honest, I wouldn't have stood up, but not because of a grudge against the English. IT'd have been more 'I don't want to support the monarchy\something I don't believe in'. Like if you're at a mass of remembrance and you don't go to get the wafer because it seems hypocritical to do it if you don't believe in God.

You're not supporting anyone by standing up. And it's their business whether they want a monarchy. It's just utterly disprespectful to people who's country you're living in.

If the Nigerians living and working in Ireland wouldn't stand up for a toast to our taoiseach because we're part of the EU, who stifle the trade rights of poor farmers in Africa, people would still see that as being disrespectful, even though they would arguably have a contemporary case.

There's just no need for it. It achieves nothing whatsoever, and makes people think we're knobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

2009 people - time to move on.

It is time to move on, I agree.

That doesn't mean we must forget the past either.

I don't hate the British, in fact as a whole I think they're lovely people - but I detest their history in this country.

What I hate worse are the people of this country who scoff at those of us who remember, and harbour feelings of resent.

Our feelings are no less valid than their's.

If THE CHUCKLE BROTHERS can look forward towards a peaceful, democratic peace in Ireland then so the hell can the rest of us.

We should be allowed do that whilst at the same time looking back at the past with some resentment without ridicule too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

If we look at the history of Dublin, for example, Dublin was originally a Viking settlement which was taken over by English settlers and colonised. Many English people would have put down roots then and I'm sure a lot of this DNA survives to this day. A recent programme on TV showed that many people in the west of Ireland have simliar DNA to people in Gallicia, North West Spain. Given the physical closeness between England and Ireland, there is a greater chance of someone having English DNA than any other nationality. It may suit some people to deny this but I still stand by my view that many of us have ancestoral ties to England, as many of them have to us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

When I lived in Canada, I was at a hockey game and I stood for their national anthem out of respect for my friends who I was with.

Although, one night in a bar here, they played the national anthem at the end of the night, I didn't stand up for that, simply because it's fúcking stupid to have the national anthem played at the end of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

tallaght01 wrote: »
    You're not supporting anyone but not standing up. And it's their business whether they want a monarchy. It's just utterly disprespectful to people who's country you're living in.

If the Nigerians living and working in Ireland wouldn't stand up for a toast to our taoiseach because we're part of the EU, who stifle the trade rights of poor farmers in Africa, people would still see that as being disrespectful, even though they would arguably have a contemporary case.

There's just no need for it. It achieves nothing whatsoever, and makes people think we're knobs.

Actually, it achieves me not feeling like I'm paying homage to something that I think is actively bad, and stops me feeling like a hypocrite. It doesn't have to be a big scene though.

And I wouldn't have a problem with the Nigerians doing that either. Although the English example is explicitly about saluting the concept of the monarchy, and your Nigerian example is really sort of obscure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ncan

I don't get the whole thing. Some people love to hate others. What do they have in common (on the whole): limited education, a bizarre romantic notion of what it means to be Irish, a bitter personality etc etc..
    Most English would have no grudge against Germans despite the evils of the 3rd Reich - the reason being? A different time, a different people and just one 2 evil rulers. Cromwell and one or 2 others in English history certainly are guilty of barbaric acts, but how do they relate to present-day English people?
    The vast majority of English people have no idea about Irish history...and why should they feel in any way guilty about the actions of people who happened to live and rule on the same area of land? Successive English governments have inherited a tricky situation over here to which there is no easy solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

It is time to move on, I agree.

That doesn't mean we must forget the past either.

I don't hate the British, in fact as a whole I think they're lovely people - but I detest their history in this country.

What I hate worse are the people of this country who scoff at those of us who remember, and harbour feelings of resent.

Our feelings are no less valid than their's.

If THE CHUCKLE BROTHERS can look forward towards a peaceful, democratic peace in Ireland then so the hell can the rest of us.

We should be allowed do that whilst at the same time looking back at the past with some resentment without ridicule too.

All depends on what way you express that resentment?

Tell your children that the English, the protestants are bastards? So they end up on O' Connell street throwing bricks at their own police force or assaulting a respected reporter so that he decides to **** off to America where he wont be called an orange bastard?

Or do you choose to express this resentment by helping to make this new state we created all that it can be?

I hate to generalise but the rubber republicans that I know are wasters who support English soccer teams (while scofing at rugby teams made up of mostly Irish men) and do nothing good for their community or country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Actually, it achieves me not feeling like I'm paying homage to something that I think is actively bad, and stops me feeling like a hypocrite. It doesn't have to be a big scene though.

And I wouldn't have a problem with the Nigerians doing that either. Although the English example is explicitly about saluting the concept of the monarchy, and your Nigerian example is really sort of obscure

No you're not paying homage to anyone. You wouldn't raise a glass to someone at a work night out because you didn't like them? It was a big scene. A really big scene.

Disrespect for people in their own country achieves nothing. Look, teenage angst and protest is all very well. I'm as big an awkward leftie as anyone, But as you get older you realise you get much better results, and you get your opinion across far better, when you engage people in reasonable conversation.

Nothing gained by alienating people. People listen more when they respect you. No one of any significance respects the guy who sulks in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I dont hate the English, but I do hate how they treated us/ looked down at us.
    cruiser178 wrote: »
    EXPLAIN YOURSELF?????
    Look at Ireland now.
    The above quote is similar to how the eastern Europeans or any other immigrants feel right now in Ireland.

Blamed for the lack of jobs and when they are employeed, people fvcking moan and bitch because their taxi driver is black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Rabies wrote: »
    Look at Ireland now.
    The above quote is similar to how the eastern Europeans or any other immigrants feel right now in Ireland.

Blamed for the lack of jobs and when they are employeed, people fvcking moan and bitch because their taxi driver is black.
    What has that got to do with the op

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Some of my friends are like that. I'm usually quick to point out that they hate the English yet love Gerrard, Rooney or whoever's playing for their favourite club which is English, yet somehow it's different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Nope i dont hate the English. I might hate one or two English people but to hate a whole nation is ridiculous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Risteard wrote: »
    Some of my friends are like that. I'm usually quick to point out that they hate the English yet love Gerrard, Rooney or whoever's playing for their favourite club which is English, yet somehow it's different.

The Premier League is not really an 'english' thing tbh. The only thing english about it is its based there. Its owned, supported and played mainy by foreigners.
    Plus most Irish people follow it for entertainment reasons only, no 'loyalty' if your understand me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Premier League is not really an 'english' thing tbh. The only thing english about it is its based there. Its owned, supported and played mainy by foreigners.
    Plus most Irish people follow it for entertainment reasons only, no 'loyalty' if your understand me.
    It would appear I posted the facepalm pic too soon.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    No you're not paying homage to anyone. You wouldn't raise a glass to someone at a work night out because you didn't like them? It was a big scene. A really big scene.

Disrespect for people in their own country achieves nothing. Look, teenage angst and protest is all very well. I'm as big an awkward leftie as anyone, But as you get older you realise you get much better results, and you get your opinion across far better, when you engage people in reasonable conversation.

Nothing gained by alienating people. People listen more when they respect you. No one of any significance respects the guy who sulks in the corner.

Raising a glass to the queen is explicitly endorsing the monarchy. I don't mind if other people do it, but I won't, and not because they're English, but because it's an outdated concept that should be eliminated. Your friends made a big scene, but it's not teenaged angst to not support something you find insupportable. Them acting like arsesholes is them acting like arseholes, and has nothing to do with other people's reasons for doing things.

There are a lot of people in England who don't support the monarchy, and it's not teenage angst on their part either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

The Premier League is not really an 'english' thing tbh.

Given it's made up of clubs from English cities and run by an English football organization i'd say it's a fairly English thing to be honest.

I imagine they just wear the Man Utops to keep warm

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Thankfully the only English people who I have any reason to hate are all dead by now

saves me the hassle of giving a shit

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Premier League is not really an 'english' thing tbh.

There's a mad kind of genius at work here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

trad wrote: »
    600 years is hard to forget

Your 600 years old :eek:

whats your secret.....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I've never met an English person i couldn't get on with yet.
    It's good not to be living in the past,

lol good fun winding up west-brits on a sunday morning... later......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

You're obviously not a fan then.
    Irish people who follow English clubs are as loyal to these clubs as the local supporters.
    They just were not taught how to hate Liverpool, Utd or Arsenal at an early age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

You're not really doing a good job of winding people up, nobody seems to be in a froth of indignation at what you're saying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ya we're West Brits cause we don't agree with you. Typical armchair republican.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Some Irish people hate the English
    Some English people hate the Irish
    Some German people hate the French
    Some Mexican people hate the Americans

It goes on. It is not exclusive to this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I hate what they did to Ireland in the past, and I really wanted to hate the people now after learning about it in history, but it's so hard to because they're dead sound for the most part. I wouldn't toast the queen though..ever. I'd stand and do whatever for most national anthems around the world, but not the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I love the psychology of these types of threads. I wonder if I started a thread about how I love the English, that I am a self loathing Irish man and that we should join the United Kingdom what kind of reaction it would get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mrmoe wrote: »
    I love the psychology of these types of threads. I wonder if I started a thread about how I love the English, that I am a self loathing Irish man and that we should join the United Kingdom what kind of reaction it would get.

"To Arthur Her Majesty".

• Advertisement

Mrmoe wrote: »

Here? Probably a good one:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement