Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate the English??

Options
  • 27-09-2009 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Do the irish people really still hate the english or is it only on sporting occasions that the wrongs of the past come to the surface.
    I only ask cause one of the lads in work (he's a dub) was always giving out about the "fcukin english" - bit strange i thought as he sat there talking about how much he detested the english when he was wearing a manchester united jersey?:confused:
    He's not the only lad i've met who seems to heve a hatred of england and all things english - have we moved on or is it still acceptable to harbour a long standing grudge against our near neighbours?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

600 years is hard to forget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

some Irish people are just idiots,the English are cool,well for the most part... Unfortunately lots of my irish mates have the same stupid attitude towards the english no doubt they personally dont mind the english but have been brainwashed by their fathers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

trad wrote: »
    :rolleyes: nobody been around for long enough to remember 600 years, was many generations ago,anyways im going to avoid this thread like the plague me smells another english bashing/ranting thread coming along here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

600? Typical Paddy - can't even count. :pac:

Its 800 (over a 1000 when adjusted for inflation caused by bitter indignation)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I dont hate the English, but I do hate how they treated us/ looked down at us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭newmills

triple-M wrote: »
    :rolleyes: nobody been around for long enough to remember 600 years, was many generations ago,anyways im going to avoid this thread like the plague me smells another english bashing/ranting thread coming along here

Would be cool if everyone didn't abuse/rant about the english - just give honest opinions about how they feel towards the english - ah fcuk it..it's AH so abuse away!!

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I hated maths more!

I dont think any of us give too much of a f%^K nowadays. When I was younger and less mature and studied Irish History and troubles kicking off then I was a bit of a thick and gave out.

However Im usually quite embarrassed by this inside when I meet English people as there so damn friendly when over here or Im over there.

San Marino people though. Delighted we inflicted Brian Kerr on them.

mike65 wrote: »
    600? Typical Paddy - can't even count. :pac:

Its 800 (over a 1000 when adjusted for inflation caused by bitter indignation)

I find that offensive tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    I dont hate the English, but I do hate how they treated us/ looked down at us.

Take a look at your country now.

No better at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

trad wrote: »
    Only 600???
    With morons around reminding us, its hard to forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

While we are all fully aware of what England did to this country over the 800 years or so, the fact is that Ireland and England have very close ties to each other on all sorts of levels. It was interesting to see that someone like Ryan Tubridy, who would come from a republican background, could trace his family history back to King Edward III. I would imagine that many people in this country could also find a strong English connection in their family history. Even Gerry Adams, with a surname like that, must have some English connection in his family history. I know many English people and they all like Ireland and the Irish. Their problem is that they know very little about the history of our two islands because while England is a huge part of our political and social history, Ireland is only a small part of theirs. It would be my opinion that the anti-English, Brits out, mentality is a declining viewpoint in this country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

boo hoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

newmills wrote: »
    I only ask cause one of the lads in work (he's a dub) was always giving out about the "fcukin english" - bit strange i thought as he sat there talking about how much he detested the english when he was wearing a manchester united jersey?:confused:

There's lots of confused hypocrites like him in this country.
    Next you'll be telling me that he reads an English tabloid newspaper.

chughes wrote: »
    While we are all fully aware of what England did to this country over the 800 years or so, the fact is that Ireland and England have very close ties to each other on all sorts of levels. It was interesting to see that someone like Ryan Tubridy, who would come from a republican background, could trace his family history back to King Edward III. I would imagine that many people in this country could also find a strong English connection in their family history. Even Gerry Adams, with a surname like that, must have some English connection in his family history. I know many English people and they all like Ireland and the Irish. Their problem is that they know very little about the history of our two islands because while England is a huge part of our political and social history, Ireland is only a small part of theirs. It would be my opinion that the anti-English, Brits out, mentality is a declining viewpoint in this country.

I disagree. Most people in our media/ celebs/ politicians/ famous people etc are from an English background so it gives that impression. The vast majority of normal Irish people have no connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Ah hating the English, from the comfort of your Currys Sofa, watching Coronation Street (You know what a coronation is yea?) on your Dixons TV broadcast to your home by British Sky Broadcasting, in your Manchester United jersey.

Which is worse a plastic paddy or a rubber republican?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why would I? They've never done anything to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

Rabies wrote: »
    Take a look at your country now.

No better at times.
    EXPLAIN YOURSELF?????

Why would I? They've never done anything to me.

Exactly, like why would the Jews who are around today hate the Nazis:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I find your complete lack of self awarness offensive. (don't you know how silly you look when you post that kind of reaction to a deliberate nose-tweak?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Dear of dear...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Why does a thread always have to be started with a "Do Irish people [insert crap here]" on the basis of what some moron thinks or says. Newsflash, scum in lowest common denominator opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

2009 people - time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Godwinned in 19 posts, impressive. My work here is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I used to live in England, and the vast majority of them actively really liked Irish people. They seemed genuinely confused, and a bit hurt, when they'd hear Irish people rooting on whoever was playing England in the soccer etc, when most English ppl supprt Ireland when we're playing. It was always a bit embarrassing.

But once I went to this formal ball for a professional association. It was a yearly thing. A good few Irish were working in the UK and were members of this British association. Every year they started off with a toast to the Queen. A simple toast. Not a pledge of allegiance. Just a toast. I happened to be sitting at the table with most of the Irish, as I was friends with them. They decided when the toast came, they wouldn't stand up. So, the whole room stands up to raise their glasses, and the table of paddies stayed sitting in protest. They were all boggers, pretty much. And pretty young. I stood up, and they looked at me like some west brit sellout. But we were all living in England, and were members of their profesiional body. I spent a good while apologising to people that night for their behaviour, and they told me not to worry, as the Irish do it every year. That was the only time I was ashamed of being Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Seillejet

I disagree. Most people in our media/ celebs/ politicians/ famous people etc are from an English background so it gives that impression. The vast majority of normal Irish people have no connection.

Cant agree with that assertion at all. Who are "normal" Irish people ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah I hate the English
    Fuckin English. Bunch of Tan twáts. :mad:

They're everywhere in this country!

Oh...

2009 people - time to move on.

Yes, but not to forget..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Cant agree with that assertion at all. Who are "normal" Irish people ffs.
    decent god-fearing catholics, that's who.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I used t live in England, and the vast majority of them actively really liked Irish people. They seemed genuinely confused, and a bit hurt, when they'd hear Irish people rooting on whoever was playing England in the soccer etc, when most English ppl supprt Ireland when we're playing. It was always a bit embarrassing.

But once I went to this ball for a professional association. It was a yearly thing. A good few Irish were working in the UK and were members of this British association. Every year they started off with a toast to the Queen. A simple toast. Not a pledge of allegiance. Just a toast. I happened to be sitting at the table with most of the Irish, as I was friends with them. They decided when the toast came, they wouldn't stand up. So, the whole room stands up to raise their glasses, and the table of paddies stayed sitting in protest. They were all boggers, pretty much. I stood up, and they looked at me like some west brit sellout. But we were all living in England, and were members of their profesiional body. I spent a good while apologising to people that night for their ehaviour, and they told me not to worry, as the Irish do it every year.T hat was the only time I was ashamed of being Irish.

To be honest, I wouldn't have stood up, but not because of a grudge against the English. IT'd have been more 'I don't want to support the monarchy\something I don't believe in'. Like if you're at a mass of remembrance and you don't go to get the wafer because it seems hypocritical to do it if you don't believe in God.

• Advertisement

When I was growing up while in school doing history I felt an anger against how they treated Ireland throughout history but that has since dispersed. I go to England on a regular enough basis and I find the majority of people really decent.

There was one time however in Newcastle when I was talking to some total arsehole. He hated the Irish due to how we '' Turned our lights off during WW2 so the Germans would bomb English towns''.... The guy was like 40-50 and was looking for a reaction out of me and a friend so he could start something but we didn't give him one. That was the one negative experience I've had around someone English. Generally an altar boy compared to the amount of arseholes we get over here though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement