Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Download Speed Drop

Options
124»

Comments

Still going fine here: :)

619595772.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Dirr-Durr

619631809.png

20/1.5Mb internet. This is a joke company.
    We have got half price 2 months ago and last mont's bill was only 15EUR.
    Lets ring them! Everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

gone really slow today :(:(

619713022.png

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

trdublin, in reponse to your speedtest.net result, what server did you use? Some servers are slower than others. I'd recommend the Galway server. With my test I got 9.66kbs on UPC's 10mb connection

ryanch09 wrote: »
    With my test I got 9.66kbs on UPC's 10mb connection
    Server doesnt matter. You are so lucky because where you living UPC didnt sale too much broadband I think. Here they just still sale 20mega broadband. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bornok

bornok wrote: »
    Is the power normal for a 10mb package?
    Receive Power Level

0.5 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level

42.0 dBmV

615749116.png

I decided to move on upc as they have 10mb package which I assume much faster on my current 3mb package on eircom but since I'm with 10mb package on UPC I realize eircom 3mb is faster than my 10mb upc package.

I'm in Dublin 4

619779745.png

Really Slow now here in D4, everyday getting worse.....:mad::mad:

In other European countries simillar companies like UPC cannot be joking, serious one drawn to deceive the users he has consequences (up to 500K penalty) if a nonexistent service quality is advertised. Is something similar in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

This is 20mb tonight in D12

620707463.png

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Looks like they've done something in The Coombe in the last day or two. Fingers crossed it stays this way. While it's not the full 20mb, it's pretty dam good! and the pings have gone from 1300ms, to 22ms, so that's awesome!

620718216.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Yup it looks like they have done something around that area.

620748983.png

3189295.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Looking good here as well tonight (D9)

620801121.png

Downloading something from usenet and it's as fast as it used to be in the past, around 1000kB/s give or take

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

Lets see how long they can keep it up for (but just saying, it's just in time for Modern Warfare 2!! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

coopzero wrote: »
    A couple of hours ago they seemed to have a DNS problem. The girl on the phone went to check with someone else, but came back and repeated again that I'll have to wait till the "technician" brings me a new modem.
    Ten minutes later it was back to the (usual) slow-but-working state.

The people they have on the phone are completely disconnected from whatever happens in the network. I guess the DNS talk was too confusing for them.

Again, back when I got the callback from what they call their "2nd level", they said the problems were because "certain people were downloading too much", whatever that means.

This is going to be quite technical so bear with me.

There are people downloading a lot of torrents on the network in your area.
    Because the torrents are using TCP connections there is network degradation as there is continuous communication between the tracker and the machine. This is to be fixed soon with the new UTP Protocol (Unix Torrent Protocol) which is kind of a mix between UDP and the best bits of TCP. And because your bittorrent client already knows what the complete file should look like, it can simply request the missing bits if they are not there.

As for people Downloading too much, there is an fup of 250GB (which is Generous) but a lot of people may be exceeding that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 shift4311

Can anyone see work on the roads been done by upc in the Dublin 14 area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 shift4311

UPC were good to their word. My speed is back up and maintaining so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've check my connection a few times after they visited and I haven't noticed any slow downs. It's been pretty much like this the since things were back up to speed:
    633797835.png

Advertisement