Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Download Speed Drop

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Matamoros

For about two months, we have been having problems with our UPC broadband in D15. Skype calls dropping, Youtube videos stopping and download interruptions etc.. We tried everything to see if the problem was at our end but are now sure that the problem lies with UPC, they tried to get us to phone their premium support line when we asked about the problem but why should I pay for something that is fairly certain to be their problem?

One question, is contention likely to be the problem in my case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I rang them about the speed problems there about two weeks ago, The support agent said it was contention and it would be a few weeks at least before it was fixed. I've downgraded my package from the 20Mb as there was no hope of getting it anymore, I'm in Dub15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Im on 10mb in Galway City and the contention is a joke, from 4pm-12pm it is max 3mb :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Out here in Booterstown, speeds have been hit too. On the 10meg package but getting between 1.5 and 2.5 meg speeds around times of high contention. As I type it seems to be normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 shift4311

Thats just great. Got this months bill,was going to ring them to complain, checked my speed and got 17.3 meg. Can they up your speed to match the receipt of their bill?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 evil.monkey84

I live in Dublin 16 and my package is 10MB, about month ago i start to notice speed issue, now when i download 100mb file my max download speed i get 300kb/s were i used to get 1.2mb/s

Use speedtest.net to check your speed. Refering to a file download is not a good indication as other factors may effect your download.

speedtest is giving me 4.5MB Down/0.3UP, and what i meant by the 100MB file is downloading 100MB RS file.

My mate live in Kildare and he is getting 10MB Down/1MB Up and getting 1.4MB/s when he download the same 100MB RS file.

I understand.UPC have admitted to me that there are too many users around me and that they will dig up the road in week 44 to solve the issue.I will believe it when I see it. If and when its fixed I can claim money back for the long running crap service. Thats going to be real fun!

claim money back from UPC? Good look mate! icon10.gif

Well Week 44 is tomorrow! fingers crossed!icon4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In swords area and cant say I've noticed anything.

Its a godsend from my eircom nightmare.

I'm nearly 5 months now happy as larry on upc.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

having speed issues in D16.

past 4 weeks or so, has dropped from my 18-20mb to about 1-3mb

its driving me crazy! i rang them the other day, 17 minutes on hold, with a 30 second conversation to say...'ah those speed tests aren't accurate'

..'ill get a supervisor to ring you back in 2 minutes...'

its been 2 days with no phone call.

Can i not get some sort of refund considering im not getting the speed im paying for??

Ring them and have patience.Ask them to explain the drop in speed. If they give you bull, ask them is it the same problem as in D14 where they have admitted to me that there are too many users. They said they will fix this problem around this time and maybe over the next week. Make sure they log your complaint and inquire about getting money back when your speed improves permenently.If they give you a time frame to fix your fault, ring them when it expires if your problem is still there. They will add this call to your previous call record as a case file as such. This file will be usefull in claiming moneys back as they will have your complaints on record. I have always found the people in Technical support to be polite and helpfull so try not to shout at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dhidra

We are with UPC about 6 months now (3MB) and for the first few months it was fine. Recently though, we have big problems at peak times. 8 out of 10 times that I try to use the internet in the evening time it just doesn't work. Not slow...just doesn't work.
    Am currently on hold to tech support...

I'm in Navan BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I've just ran a few tests on my 10mb line in D15, I'm getting around 1.2 to 1.4. Not sure how long this has been going on for as I never usually use it in the evenings.

My 10 Mb connection has been getting worse for the last two months or so. Just now I got 1.53 down / 888 up. That's 1.53 megabits. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Dublin - 8

My connection not looking good for last 15 days or so :(

Its a 10mb connection.

I had an engineer in my house today to install UPC+ and said to me the reason the connection started to act up because of backhaul link capicity due to large amount of the customers are joining UPC! also he think the unlimited download going to stop soon as most of these customer are abusing the network!

I had an engineer in my house today to install UPC+ and said to me the reason the connection started to act up because of backhaul link capicity due to large amount of the customers are joining UPC! also he think the unlimited download going to stop soon as most of these customer are abusing the network!

Oh I'd well believe it. They'd be the type to say "I should be able to download what I want, when I want" while I'm here getting just over one tenth of the connection speed I'm paying for. Permanet in Kerry have exactly the same problem as they also provide an unlimited service. Caps are there for a very good reason in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Galway city, 10 Meg connection

Very poor at the moment, 1-2 meg on speed tests, cant get a download higher then 200 k/bs on various websites im trying

It was pretty good the last few months but service seems to be going downhill again

• Advertisement

A little better today but still only a third of what I should be getting.
    608270661.png

Weird, mine has just jumped back to 9.8Mg down?

Contention in the area? Could someone nearby be hammering the connection?

The ping just dropped from 240ms to 25ms

I'd suspect that someone in the area is hammering the bandwidth alright, but there's nothing I can do about that. :(

I will run test when i get home and update the form tonight eek.gif

Things have improved quite a bit, for now:

608479421.png

mmmmmm this is weird now, i am getting the below, but when i download 100MB file i get max 352 KB/s which i used to get 1.2mb/s none stop before which mean they have increase the Contention rate?????

the best speed ive gotten in the past 4 weeks is tonight.

7.5mb d/l
    1mb u/p

im on their 20mb pack, everyone i know who has NTL is having speed issues.

is there any info coming from NTL on this problem?

I rang them this evening to see what was going on.

a very helpful guy told me that there are 'known issues in your area'

mentioned that the work on the lines should be complete on week 44 (i think someone else mentioned that here) , which was last week. he said that hopefully by the end of this week it should be sorted, if not call back,...

Line very poor this evning again, struggling to get higher then 1.5 meg. Brieflly yesterday it went full speed but its rubbish again

Looks like the line here is capable here of the 10 but somethings up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

mines fine , on a 10mb connection, in D15

609419843.png

Advertisement