Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Download Speed Drop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 evil.monkey84

I am getting similer speed as you, but when you download large file your speed will never get more them 600kb/s! if you get 1.1mb/s and above none stop then your connection is fine, so please give it a test and download large file and monitor your speed and update the form after please? biggrin.gif

Thanks

pvt.joker wrote: »
    mines fine , on a 10mb connection, in D15

609419843.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

I am getting similer speed as you, but when you download large file your speed will never get more them 600kb/s! if you get 1.1mb/s and above none stop then your connection is fine, so please give it a test and download large file and monitor your speed and update the form after please? biggrin.gif

Thanks

just tested a large linux distro from
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/ubuntu-cdimage/ubuntu-moblin-remix/releases/9.10/release/

got 1.0mb/s +

Seems fine for me :D

try that distro yourself

YEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHH i am getting my old lovely speed again :D

pvt.joker wrote: »
    just tested a large linux distro from
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/ubuntu-cdimage/ubuntu-moblin-remix/releases/9.10/release/

got 1.0mb/s +

Seems fine for me :D

try that distro yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

10 Meg line, that files downloading at 330K, roughly a quarter speed - tallies with the various speed tests...

getting extreme variation on tests - upc have been signing up people pretty hard, you'd wonder is the network clogged

Notice there are times when my ping drops to 26ms and speed increases, that suddenly jumps to 180ms+ and speed is roughly 1mb... very poor stuff, just moved up the road and it was rock solid in my old place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 ksl19

On 10mb line in Drumcondra

Getting 300-400k download speeds for the last few hours.

I'll be ringing them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Grrrrrrr i take my comment back, my speed was good for only 10 minutes!!!!!:mad:

YEEEEEEEEAHHHHHHHHHH i am getting my old lovely speed again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Getting horrible speeds also tonight. Hasn't been great lately but this is really bad:
    609463445.png

Send them an email yesterday, as well as a few mails over the last few weeks.

EDIT: Drumcondra/Phibsboro area

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Grrrrrrr i take my comment back, my speed was good for only 10 minutes!!!!!:mad:

Same here, goes good briefly then plummets again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trdublin

Hi everyone,

Tomorrow an UPC engineer is going to visit my apartment, I will keep you updated if he/she can identify the problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 shift4311

Im told week 46 for D14 fix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

I had an engineer in my house today to install UPC+ and said to me the reason the connection started to act up because of backhaul link capicity due to large amount of the customers are joining UPC! also he think the unlimited download going to stop soon as most of these customer are abusing the network!

There is actually a limit,an unofficial one all the same

The abusing of the bandwidth will easy of i imagine. I went a bit mad when I 1st got the 10mb in, eased of a lot since then.

It would be a terrible shame if they started to enforce a cap, they'd be just as bad as the others then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 shift4311

I checked my downloads for last month and it looks about 20 gig.This on a 20 meg connection. UPC told me that amounts around 250 gig are taken by some. They have this usage visible to them and know the users. 250 gig is greedy in my opinion and causes the problems that we currently have. UPC however will deal with these excessive users.

:mad:

611649224.png

Makes 2 of us

611652048.png

I had them on the phone today to schedule an apointment for a technician to come by. I asked how anything could be wrong if all the cables etc in the area are only 8 months old? She had the cheak to say it could be at my end that i could be the pc, cheeky! No wonder all the pc's in the house have slow internet, I'm draggin them down :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trdublin

trdublin wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Tomorrow an UPC engineer is going to visit my apartment, I will keep you updated if he/she can identify the problem :)
    Hello again,

Good news from me. It seems that the problem I had been experiencing has ben resolved after UPC visit. I do not know if what they did is the real reason, but at least now I have better download speeds. Briefly:
    • They logged into the modem
    • In my case it is http://192.168.100.1
    • Then they checked the 'Receive Power Level' and it was 12dBmV
    • They decided to decrease it, and in order to do so they have added 2 more cable splits (T shaped adapters)
    • Now my 'Receive Power Level' is 0.3 and the speed looks good

I hope this info helps you as well.

This is what my modem reads:
    Receive Power Level 5.9 dBmV

Transmit Power Level 46.0 dBmV

My power level seem to be fine, but still got an issue with my speed:mad:
    Receive Power Level
    4.8 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level
    52.0 dBmV

Still getting 1.5 meg tonight. :mad:
    trdublin wrote: »
    Hello again,

Good news from me. It seems that the problem I had been experiencing has ben resolved after UPC visit. I do not know if what they did is the real reason, but at least now I have better download speeds. Briefly:
    • They logged into the modem
    • In my case it is http://192.168.100.1
    • Then they checked the 'Receive Power Level' and it was 12dBmV
    • They decided to decrease it, and in order to do so they have added 2 more cable splits (T shaped adapters)
    • Now my 'Receive Power Level' is 0.3 and the speed looks good

I hope this info helps you as well.
    By the sound of things they attenuated your signal as it was considered to be too strong. My stats are:

Receive Power Level: 0.3 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level: 56.0 dBmV

The transmit power level is very high due to some splits in the downlead which I have no control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭timmy69

Receive Power Level
    11.5 dBmV

Transmit Power Level
    43.5 dBmV

Having major speed issues tonight :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

I'm in the coombe and I called the other day cause every evening, like others here my speed would drop dramatically!
    I mean, morning / afternoon everything was perfect (getting my full 20mb connection on my downloads), but come 7ish o' clock, down... 800k -1mb MAX.

Anyway, called them, they know there is a problem, the area is due to be upgraded. It's being planned, but didn't have a specific date. Told sometime in the next two weeks.
    In terms of those power levels, mine are about the 4.8 and 52 mark, and that doesn't change from morning to evening, so I'd be pretty sure that isn't the problem on my end anyways, plus they acknowledged the problem and said that they needed to fix it on a network level!

Had a technician out today, only spoke to him over the phone.

Pretty much told me what I already knew. Contention is killing my speed. Check the modem anyway but not sure if he change anything.

Typically, this morning i had a good solid 9.something download speed and around 8mb 5 mins ago when I checked

EDIT: back down to 2bm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭bornok

Is the power normal for a 10mb package?
    Receive Power Level

0.5 dBmV
    Transmit Power Level

42.0 dBmV

615749116.png

I decided to move on upc as they have 10mb package which I assume much faster on my current 3mb package on eircom but since I'm with 10mb package on UPC I realize eircom 3mb is faster than my 10mb upc package.

I'm in Dublin 4

I don't think that the power levels have anything to do with the problems we've been having lately. My stats are virtually the same as they have been since day one.

In reponse to the previous post, those stats are fine; there's no specific power levels for a certain package, it entirely depends on the distance between you and the UBR and also the quality of the connections in your house.

:mad:

617463475.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Very slow for the last few days in D12.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭somakasvh

2930414.png

617505237.png

3Mb package in D18

Speeds seem ok but huge packet loss. Its been pretty unusable the last few days. Going to call them tomorrow if its still bad.

I think UPC have been doing some work in the area. Had to reboot my router today when I came home from work. My cable modem is syncing on two totally different frequencies, it's now on 482 MHz down and 58.4 MHz up while it was on 426.25 MHz down and 45.6 MHz up. Here's the end result:

618453516.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭coopersgreen

Slooooow again here. Evenings this week have been torturous. I know it's going to be slower, I'm happy to accept that, but I still expect it to vaguely useable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 dymonaz

619576107.png

Now THIS is b****. I've been seeing unstable speeds for the past few months, but I was fine with that. Today, however, I can't do a thing... This is ridiculous.

D4

Advertisement