Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Download Speed Drop

Options
  • 26-09-2009 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi Guys,

I have recently moved to a new apartment and UPC has just come today for broadband and digital TV installation. Unfortunately the download speed has significantly decreased although I am subscribed to 20 Mbps Ultra plan.

Today I have tried the www.speedtest.net 3 times, and here are the results:

1. Download: 1.80 Mbps / Upload: 1.42 Mbps
    2. Download: 1.70 Mbps / Upload: 0.69 Mbps
    3. Download: 2.72 Mbps / Upload: 1.44 Mbps

Are they anyone else experiencing the same with UPC?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

trdublin wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have recently moved to a new apartment and UPC has just come today for broadband and digital TV installation. Unfortunately the download speed has significantly decreased although I am subscribed to 20 Mbps Ultra plan.

Today I have tried the www.speedtest.net 3 times, and here are the results:

1. Download: 1.80 Mbps / Upload: 1.42 Mbps
    2. Download: 1.70 Mbps / Upload: 0.69 Mbps
    3. Download: 2.72 Mbps / Upload: 1.44 Mbps

Are they anyone else experiencing the same with UPC?

Where is your apartment? these are some lame ass results :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 trdublin

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    Where is your apartment? these are some lame ass results :eek:
    Hi Mehmeh I am living in D4, I think I am gonna email UPC with the screen shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

What speeds are you getting if you actually download a file from a fast host such as rapidshare?

Jev/N wrote: »
    What speeds are you getting if you actually download a file from a fast host such as rapidshare?
    In average I am getting 300 KB/s and the max speed 366 KB/s :(

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

In D4 myself and have noticed the same speed drops over the past month or so.

• Advertisement

KJF wrote: »
    In D4 myself and have noticed the same speed drops over the past month or so.
    Have you ever contacted UPC for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

trdublin wrote: »
    In average I am getting 300 KB/s and the max speed 366 KB/s :(

Not much better than the speedtests, contact UPC tomorrow I'd say

Jev/N wrote: »
    Not much better than the speedtests, contact UPC tomorrow I'd say
    I have just phoned them, and they recommended me to wait 2-3 days more :(

Did anyone contact UPC for this issue?

I contacted them yesterday evening. They ran a modem test and found the modem power was not as high as it should have been. They are sending a technician out to me on Friday to take a closer look.

Will post an update on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I contacted them yesterday evening. They ran a modem test and found the modem power was not as high as it should have been. They are sending a technician out to me on Friday to take a closer look.

Will post an update on Friday.

Let's see how that goes, been at them for 3 months about my speed.
    They have one more shot at fixing it or I am out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

UPC are having major issues in Dublin 8 for the past few days. There is "noise" on the line.

There are sending an engineer on Monday morning but I think its a more general issue.

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Called yesterday, after no call back. Was told that they would most assuredly call me at 5:30, when I got home to the modem.
    Did they call back?

I will let you decide that one

Well, their engineer and just been out to check the modem and apparently it's an issue with the area and not the modem. Asked when he expects it to be fixed and he said it should be over the next few days. Not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 shift4311

I have similar speeds at various times in Dublin 14. I have been onto UPC many times and there latest report to me is that there is a problem in the area. I can get 19.40 meg and one hour later 1.86 meg. This appears to be a contension issue in my mind. Check speeds as early in the morning as possible and compare to readings at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭jleavy

Hi KJF,
    Are you in D8 by any chance?
    Well, their engineer and just been out to check the modem and apparently it's an issue with the area and not the modem. Asked when he expects it to be fixed and he said it should be over the next few days. Not holding my breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

My speed is constantly up and down with them - This morning I was getting my full 10mbps.. Now I'm barely getting 1.

582925006.png

Today I have even experienced service shut downs. Slow speed with sometime no connection, brilliant

jleavy wrote: »
    Hi KJF,
    Are you in D8 by any chance?

I'm in Dublin 4.

Was up early on Sunday and did a quick speedtest. Got 18Mbps. By 1pm it was back to 3-5Mbps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

I'm in Dublin 4.

Was up early on Sunday and did a quick speedtest. Got 18Mbps. By 1pm it was back to 3-5Mbps.

So your being throttled? whats your contention ratio?

• Advertisement

mehmeh12 wrote: »
    So your being throttled? whats your contention ratio?

Not too sure. How can I tell?

Seems that UPC cannot find the source of the problem. Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

been having the same issues lately in the evening times with UPC in Swords area. on the 20mb line yet very bad download speeds unless the app makes several connections at once to download the specific file.

This is a good thread to determine what areas are having eratic download speeds.The more input the better.
    cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coopzero

I've posted in some other thread before, but I can't find it right now. I've been having speed issues for the past two weeks or so (Dublin 2).
    I've been on the phone a few times with them and after refusing to go through the silly unplug-your-modem routine they got a 2nd level support guy to call me back. It wasn't easy and took a few tries, of course (because UPC has the worst customer service ever).

The 2nd level guy said the problem was because there are "too many big downloaders in the area", and they're supposedly working on re-segmenting their network so they don't affect "regular customers". At the same time he said he'll send someone to swap my modem just in case, because their tech support policy is to try all sorts of random stuff till they get lucky.

Very unhappy with UPC.

Has anyone who has this problem been told by UPC that it is a contension issue, ie there network cannot cope with the demand, or does anyone know what UPC state as a contension ratio for 20 meg users?

Hey guys,

Just a quick update on the download speed: Today I have experienced a slight improvement, now I can see 12-13 Mbps download speeds. It seems that UPC is working on upgrades or re-segmenting the heavy downloaders.

P.S: This is for Dublin 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 coopzero

A couple of hours ago they seemed to have a DNS problem. The girl on the phone went to check with someone else, but came back and repeated again that I'll have to wait till the "technician" brings me a new modem.
    Ten minutes later it was back to the (usual) slow-but-working state.

The people they have on the phone are completely disconnected from whatever happens in the network. I guess the DNS talk was too confusing for them.

Again, back when I got the callback from what they call their "2nd level", they said the problems were because "certain people were downloading too much", whatever that means.

So the problem is lack of transparency of the network related issues. If there is anyone working at UPC, here is an idea: Please build a dashboard showing the issues and speed status per area. Do you need an example: http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en

• Advertisement

Just recorded a new low. 1.3 meg.

Advertisement