Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Allowances

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Wow what a wondefully simple explaination so simple the McCarthy report singles this payment out as completly unjustified and we all know McCarthy is a retard what with his PHD's and such

suppose 1,135 posts qualifies you better than McCarthy or is that maybe your garda on clerical duty picking up an allowance becuase your missing out on another allowance

I'm a website developer, not a member of the force. Never applied because I know I wouldn't be up to the job and havn't got an interest. I'm quite content knowing the Gardai are there if I need them and I'm quite happy paying taxes which pay their allowances.

There are a few things in the McCarthy report that are utter shite, this is one of them. It's only fair the Gardai get the same treatment as most other shift workers as regards shift allowance while on leave. The point of the McCarthy report was to save money, not to point out where the Government is spending our money improperly. I'm not more qualified than McCarthy, regardless of my post count nor did I ever imply I was. However I'm here engaging on the thread, expressing opinions and reasons why X allowance is justified instead of acting like an outraged sensationalist Joe Duffy caller unlike your good self, who just signed up to post such material on this thread alone :rolleyes:
    You seem to know alot about the inner workings of the Guards or as you say "It's my understanding............"

Because you edited your post while I was replying, I'll reply to this bit too. The inner workings of the Gards because I read the actual language put to me ... as in the words "on leave" instead of "on holidays". Once again, you are eyeing me up with suspicion because I'm merely not in agreement with yourself. You'd think if I was a member of the force that in all my 1130+ posts I might have posted on the massive Garda recruitment thread/forum just once ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Hootanany wrote: »
    I would not mind these allowances if they cleared all the Junkies of the Boardwalk and not turn a blind eye as they all do
    I have always found the junkies of the Jervis Street Luas stop to be very amicable.

I would not mind these allowances if they cleared all the Junkies of the Boardwalk and not turn a blind eye as they all do

I've seen them clear them off quite a few times myself. I'm sure other people wouldn't mind giving the Gardai their allowances if only they found who broke into their house or stole their car radio. Everybody is all right as long as they get something out of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 pipesofpeace

for a website developer you know alot about shift workers

and alot about garda shift working

mmmmmmmmmm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I've seen them clear them off quite a few times myself. I'm sure other people wouldn't mind giving the Gardai their allowances if only they found who broke into their house or stole their car radio. Everybody is all right as long as they get something out of it?

They are openly dealing there all the time why dont they arrest them .
    I am not Garda bashing here but a crime is a crime and should be dealt with swiftly

• Advertisement

one word:

paperwork

they couldn't be arsed

for a website developer you know alot about shift workers

and alot about garda shift working

mmmmmmmmmm!!

Yes, because I couldn't possibly have outside knowledge of either without having worked in those jobs :rolleyes:
    one word:

paperwork

they couldn't be arsed

Ahhhhh, now we go to it. Garda-bashing. You know, I almost thought you might have had a legitimate reason for signing up to boards.ie, you might have had some valid input or something to actually give to the thread. How silly of me

I am not Garda bashing here but a crime is a crime and should be dealt with swiftly

I don't honestly believe a Gard would walk by somebody openly dealing on the boardwalk and not challenge them on it. Especially city beat cops, who are probably fed up with arresting shoplifters all day and would love something a little more "real"

i was actually sympathising with them in regard to my comment about paperwork

the paperwork invloved in even my smallest dealings with the gardai in terms of lost licenses is astounding

god help them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

But you have back up and you are trained to arrest them The allowance thing is just crazy,I had 3 Guards pin me against O'Connell Bridge one night because my wife got sick in a Taxi . i pointed out that there was drug dealing going on right behind them,i was told aggressively YOU Dont do Tell How to MY JOB.I suppose i was a handier collar than the scumbags, The axe is about to Fall. Be afraid be very afraid.

I think thats something they are trained to say.

Its a pity that they don't have a culture that takes on board the critisms we make of them rather than ignore them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

This sunday is the end of the garda working roster.at the end i will have worked a total of 26.5hrs overtime. All of this overtime is compulsory ie: me being required to attend court or perform other duties that i have no control over.they have to be done end of story. i did not volunteer to do any of this overtime. i am not allowed to claim payment for ANY of those hours. 26.5hrs of my own time including saturdays, sundays, nights and very early mornings when the rest of the world is tucked up in bed or enjoying their weekends.

after all the taxes and levies etc,comes out of my wages every week, after 5 years of service i come out with 350e from which i have a mortgage, utility bills, loans and the rest. i read somewhere recently that the average garda comes away with about 1000e per week id like to meet that garda and ask what im doing wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭dr.quirky

how do you know they are "openly dealing" there all the time? if you have seen this surely the onus is on your own self to report it? and i refuse to beleive any garda would turn a blind eye to blatant open dealing.

is arresting every and all dealers/users the solution, i think not, you cant just arrest them all and hope the problom goes away. the gardai do a great job, I happen to know ( an old neighbor was in the force) that their basic pay is aweful , they deserve every benefit they can get, alot of them (boots etc.) amount to very little to any one individual anyway.

and I concur , the majority of the down an outs of jervis are always pleasant and interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

dr.quirky wrote: »
    how do you know they are "openly dealing" there all the time? if you have seen this surely the onus is on your own self to report it? and i refuse to beleive any garda would turn a blind eye to blatant open dealing.

is arresting every and all dealers/users the solution, i think not, you cant just arrest them all and hope the problom goes away. the gardai do a great job, I happen to know ( an old neighbor was in the force) that their basic pay is aweful , they deserve every benefit they can get, alot of them (boots etc.) amount to very little to any one individual anyway.

and I concur , the majority of the down an outs of jervis are always pleasant and interesting

Hey Dr.

I'm sure your aware that the owner of Dr.Quirkeys is an ex member of AGS, I'm sure its just an coincidence - ya know!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

after all the taxes and levies etc,comes out of my wages every week, after 5 years of service i come out with 350e from which i have a mortgage,

Hold on a sec, are you honestly saying you are coming out with 350 after tax for a full weeks work plus 26.5 hours OT?

That's nuts tbh and your more the fool to be putting up with it.
    I know a guard who does a fair bit of OT and I can safely say hes taking home around 1k a week

Edit: sorry for calling you a fool but just mean maybe you should have a chat with HR about your working conditions because theres something not right there.

thats just bull €350 you must be talking about what the guards call their little cheque.

Thats the money they get p/w and they get their BIG cheque this is the one with all the allowances and perks put in where their REAL wages are.

Not too sure when that comes but head down to coppers when it looks packed and you should find out.

They'll all be there flashin their badges trying to get in as if the badge is some kind VIP entry ticket.

I should know spent a year or two working on the door of bars in town and the amount of time you get little lads comin up with badges sayin "is there anything you can do for me" is just scary

on a normal week i will come away with 350e. this has been an exceptionally busy roster for me and at the end of it i will have worked up 26.5hrs that i have been told due to budgetary cut backs i cannot claim payment for these hours. i have been told that i can avail of time in lieu. now time in lieu is all well and good but i would have preferred to have my time off when i originally should have had it. for instance after working for 7 days straight i would be entitled to my 2 days off but i had to work which at times means that i have to work almost 2 weeks straight before having a day off.

believe me i have tried to fight my corner but nobody cares about the junior member once the top brass get their dues!

i dont take offence to being called a fool :)ive been called ALOT worse in my day to day duties;) but its not for the money i joined.

thats just bull €350 you must be talking about what the guards call their little cheque.

Thats the money they get p/w and they get their BIG cheque this is the one with all the allowances and perks put in where their REAL wages are.

Not too sure when that comes but head down to coppers when it looks packed and you should find out.

They'll all be there flashin their badges trying to get in as if the badge is some kind VIP entry ticket

yes i am talking about my weekly wages comes in at 350e p/w my allowances wages comes in at roughly about double that.it can vary slightly month to month depending on overtime etc, so add it up i would be getting about 1500 per month including allowances. now to me thats not an extraordinary amount of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

i dont take offence to being called a fool ive been called ALOT worse in my dato day duties but its not for the money i joined.

Well im sorry for that, I just mean you shouldn't have to put up with those conditions.

Is there a not a union for the Guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

This sunday is the end of the garda working roster.at the end i will have worked a total of 26.5hrs overtime. All of this overtime is compulsory ie: me being required to attend court or perform other duties that i have no control over.they have to be done end of story. i did not volunteer to do any of this overtime. i am not allowed to claim payment for ANY of those hours. 26.5hrs of my own time including saturdays, sundays, nights and very early mornings when the rest of the world is tucked up in bed or enjoying their weekends.

Are you getting paid for this time?
    If not, why are you doing it?

Go talk to your representative association , all you're doing now is proving your station can cope with not enough resources.
    Your team won't be getting any more resources anytime soon to cover for you.

They'll all be there flashin their badges trying to get in as if the badge is some kind VIP entry ticket

And when the big cheque rolls around they'll get taxed on the higher rate and half of it or more will go down the tubes. So on a big cheque week they might come out with 600... So that's 350x3 + 600 ..a whopping 412.50 euro per week. I earned more than that when I worked in Tesco 4 years ago - a job with no risk or late nights or anything else inconvenient.

Once again your bitterness comes out - you stood in the queue at Coppers a few nights and not managed to get in only to have a group of Gardai flash their badges and walk right in for free? And how might changing the Coppers entrance policy get us out of the money woes we've got?
    RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Well im sorry for that, I just mean you shouldn't have to put up with those conditions.

Is there a not a union for the Guards?

There's the Garda Representatives Association, the GRA. Probably a few others. And Gardai cannot take strike action, nor can the Army.

itsallaboutme could probably not take pay for the 26.5 hours overtime, but they should be able to get TOIL (Time Off In Lieu), that is 26.5 hours of leave in the next month. Sort of like Civil Service Flexi-time, though flexi is limited to 11.5 hours *shakes fist*

• Advertisement

well hang on here:

350p/w X 4 = 1400

your allowance check is double your weekly lets say 700

thats 2,100

Sorry you worked alot of hours but if its any concelation you have a great pension and it'll be over for at 55

I have tough shop in a finance company doing long hours maybe not 26.5 hours overtime but certainly 10-12 hours per week. I come out with €1,700 and i have no pension at the moment.

Oh yeah when your 55 chillin out i'll have to about 10 year overtime to get me to 65

i am not getting paid and i have to do it. i am not on a regular unit and i have no choice like i said i did not volunteer to do it. most of that overtime was due to me being involved in a court trial which i was summonsed to attend. failure on my part to attend could result in me being prosecuted. so its not something that i had a choice in really.

well hang on here:

350p/w X 4 = 1400

thats 2,100

not its 350 x 3 +700 = 1750 not 1500
    apologies my brain is a bit fried today:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

by the looks of things there on more than people with degrees and masters coming out of college.

By that i mean a person coming out of college with a masters would be looking at 24-26K a year.

Masters in what?Philosophy or some such ****?
    Just because some numpty didnt fancy working for a living but would rather waste awy in college doesnt entitle him to a shiitload of money when he eventually starts working.
    In my job "people with masters" dont want to actually work and they think the world owes them a living.
    I wonder how thier "masters" would stand them when they're being pelted with rocks by a hostile gang or trying to arrest some out of control junky with a knife in his hand.

well hang on here:

350p/w X 4 = 1400

thats 2,100

As far as I know your big cheque includes your pay, it's not a separate cheque. So your 4th week pay + OT allowances etc in your big cheque is one and the same .... which means you get 3 small cheques and one big one

Lets even say the big cheque is 1000 euro all in, that's 2050 euro over 4 weeks which is 500 euro per week on average. Still I was earning more than that last year and I've not even started down a career path yet, I'm only out of college 2 years. I didn't have changeover shifts, dealing with scummers, dealing with junkies, shoplifters etc etc. I had this nice 9-5 Mon-Fri office job.

Your pension problems are your fault, not the Gardai's. How is removing their allowances going to benefit your situation? Do you think that if they took the uniform allowance off they'll drop the tax rate by 1%?

Once again the jealously or "Poor me, boo hoo" sentiment is rife in your post.

the allowances wage once a month does include the usual weekly wage. so in my case out of every 4 weeks i get 350e what is called the "flat check" 3 weeks and then the BIG one once a month which is allowances on top of the "flat" one so it would be 700e. 350+350+350+700=1750 per month.

Just to put this up here too, when I get on a train and see a friend of mine flash the badge and go for free I think "F*cker!". I think the same when he gets free through the tollbridge on the M4. I think the same when he gets into Coppers for free. I think the same when he gets on a bus and just takes a seat.

The difference between you and I pipeofpeace is that my "F*cker!" thought is immediately followed up with "Yeah, but you'd rather pay a tenner to get in here than have to stand at the GPO for hours freezing your nads off. You'd rather pay to not have to get home from a flexi shift at 2am and be in for 10am the next day several times a week. You'd rather pay to not have to chase shoplifters, releasing teenage offenders knowing they'll be stealing purses in a day or so, trying to convict somebody knowing they'll get a slap on the wrist, putting myself in harms way to move junkies on or arrest them, knowing that if somebody puts up a fight in an arrest they'll go running to the ombudsman claiming they were manhandled". Whereas your though is followed by nothing at all, and that's not right.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,410 ✭✭✭✭cson

itsallaboutme!!,

I'd advise you to be a bit more discreet about your working conditions. Boards shouldn't really be used as a forum for complaints or comment on your employer. Solely for the fact that you do not know if you are being monitored and it is relatively easy to find out who you are.

cson wrote: »
    itsallaboutme!!,

I'd advise you to be a bit more discreet about your working conditions. Boards shouldn't really be used as a forum for complaints or comment on your employer. Solely for the fact that you do not know if you are being monitored and it is relatively easy to find out who you are.

The working condition of a Garda can be put to whomever that member pleases. It's not under the remit of a secrets act or anything of the sort. And I certainly don't take it up that the itsallaboutme!! was complaining about the conditions or the job - they were merely using their own circumstances to highlight that being a member of the force is no easy, cushy number. If anything the higher ups should be glad of such a comment because it's clear from a few posters here that some people have that impression

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Kelda09

3fullback wrote: »
    Gardai do a great job and are very hard working.
    They have to deal with murders, suicide , rape and just about every other thing thats detroying our country . There is'nt too many of us that have them kind of things in our 9-5 jobs ! Any few pence they get for going to court or uniform is well earned.I Dont see to many jobs where you have to tell Parents that the 17 year old son has died in a traffic accident

I havent time to go through all the posts, however I just want to agree with 3fullback. The gaurds have a job that I would never want to do or be able to do. Iv been at a friends house when a guard has had to come in and give the news that their brother had died, I couldnt imagine doing that once never mind the numerous times the gaurds have to do it. the compassion and kindness shown to the family and the circumstances surroundng the death that had to be explained were devestating to them.

I also know of gaurds who have gotten spat on, verbally abused, attacked
    with syringes and generally have had to deal with the type of s***e people in other jobs would sue over.

All of this along with having to be present at scenes of murders, assaults, crashes and just having to deal with the crap nobody else wants to, then the op goes on about their wages and benefits!!!! The cops didnt pick and choose the pay they get. It was agreed for them by unions etc, just like, undoubtedly, the OP's wages were for them. if they have an issue with the wages why not make a post about the officials who worked out the wages, not the gaurds who have to deal with being understaffed, have old equipment in a lot pf cases and who have to spend their working days dealing with awkard or hurt or devestated people.

I am also aware that other frontline workers are present at murders crashes etc, but before anybody says anything, I also am fully in support of all frontline workers being paid properly, not just gaurds.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement