Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Could it be Zhit?
    He wants the name, not a review.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭El_robbo1980

Hi, I'm looking for the name of a film possibly from the mid 1980s. Think it was about world war 2. Anyway at the end there are two soldiers either Russian or German in a bunker. They're surrounded and the bunker is flooding so they decide with their last rounds of ammo to shoot one another at the exact same time to avoid capture. Bit of a long shot I know but anyone any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They were Czech resistance fighters who got parachuted in to kill the Nazi commandant.
    The hid in the basement of a church and when the Germans could not capture them they decided to flood the basement

The Czechs knew they'd be tortured and executed so it's better for them just to have a suicide pact

The film you want is Operation Daybreak

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭El_robbo1980

Wow, can't believe you knew it, been trawling the net for ages trying to find that, thanks a million!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Very good, that's it!
    He wants the name, not a review.

:D

• Advertisement

Eighties, early nineties film and it's to do with AIDS which was big news at the time

The lead actress is a pretty girl from a rich, well to do family. I think New York?
    She has a great life, lots of friends and everything looks bright

She heads out one night, mets a realy good looking barman and they spent the night together.

Later on her health takes a downturn and she spends months and months in hospital and the doctors can't figure it out
    Only later do they realize what it is and they say they associated that with drug users and gay people, not people like her. Controversial maybe but that was a belief.
    So they never even thought to run the tests and this has caused huge delays

Her friends abandon her and it's all quite sad

Oh and she later finds out the barman had the virus and he died. So she fears she will die like him

I forget the ending
    Most of the film is based in hospital and it was referencing something many talked about back then

Any help, been searching for ages :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Eighties, early nineties film and it's to do with AIDS which was big news at the time

The lead actress is a pretty girl from a rich, well to do family. I think New York?

She heads out one night, mets a realy good looking barman and they spent the night together.

Later on her health takes a downturn and she spends months and months in hospital and the doctors can't figure it out
    Only later do they realize what it is and they say they associated that with drug users and gay people, not people like her. Controversial maybe but that was a belief.

Oh and she later finds out the barman had the virus and he died. So she fears she will die like him

I forget the ending
    Most of the film is based in hospital and it was referencing something many talked about back then

Could be Gia: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123865/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mikemac1 wrote: »

I forget the ending

The Alison Gertz story? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105444/

Here's a list of aids movies too, there's a few that sound like it: http://www.amazon.com/Women-and-AIDS-in-Film/lm/30SVO0KMU1E8S

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

johndoe99 wrote: »

She sure liked getting her kit off in that movie :pac:

Alison Gertz, that's the one
    Seems to be a made for TV film

Going to check it out again, thanks a lot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

American film from the 80's I think.
    It started with a man going out for a jog(in the woods maybe), another man appears and for some reason keeps trying to kill him.

The main character manages to escape several times and finally thinks that he has killed the baddie, it ends when goodie is being taken away in an ambulance(he was injured) getting drowsy, he realises that the doctor in the ambulance with him is really the baddie.:eek:

I seem to remember this film being quite short and there wasn't much dialogue in it. Any ideas anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Maybe 'THE BURBS? With Bruce Dern?

Maybe 'THE BURBS? With Bruce Dern?
    Not the Burbs. It was more of a thriller/horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 moss12222

I remember this movie i watched on IFC about three years ago. It had a woman married (Or being with a guy) who was abusive and beat her up. She wore a wig and was followed by the main charecter who was like a teenager who went to high school or somthing. He spyed on her as she undressed and she caught him, they had a affair. Next part of the movie i remember was the end where he beat the heck out of her and she was naked and bleeding to death. The ending was the guy coming back trying to kill the kid, but the husband ends up being killed while police arrive.

Hopefully someone has seen this movie and can help. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

The film I'm looking for is an animated film, possibly christmas themed ~ 1994-1998, I distinctly remember polar bears (mother and cubs), snow and something about multicoloured baubles/balls neatly organised in a tray.

I know it's really vague but it's all I can remember! Appreciate any help..

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Leeg17 wrote: »
    The film I'm looking for is an animated film, possibly christmas themed ~ 1994-1998, I distinctly remember polar bears (mother and cubs), snow and something about multicoloured baubles/balls neatly organised in a tray.

This might be too recent to be yours, but The Little Polar Bear maybe?

Unfortunately not Mickeroo, thanks for the reply though. The reason I say 1994 onwards is that recently I found another film I remember as a child and it was dated around then (was born in 92)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Hi guys. Hope some of you can help me out. I don't have many details about this movie and can only guess it was made in the early to mid 80's. It included (or was about?) a kid that built gadgets in his home. I really don't remember much more about it than that. I think one of the gadgets he made involved a zip line thingamajig.

It just sprung into my mind when talking to a mate about childhood films recently and has has being doing my head in since.

Hi guys. Hope some of you can help me out. I don't have many details about this movie and can only guess it was made in the early to mid 80's. It included (or was about?) a kid that built gadgets in his home. I really don't remember much more about it than that. I think one of the gadgets he made involved a zip line thingamajig.

It just sprung into my mind when talking to a mate about childhood films recently and has has being doing my head in since.

The Goonies has a scene with a zipline between houses early on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

This is a 26min short film from 1998.

http://www.howardblake.com/music/Film-TV-Scores/731/THE-BEAR-an-animated-film.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZZIrrxGwZE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

American film from the 80's I think.
    It started with a man going out for a jog(in the woods maybe), another man appears and for some reason keeps trying to kill him.

The main character manages to escape several times and finally thinks that he has killed the baddie, it ends when goodie is being taken away in an ambulance(he was injured) getting drowsy, he realises that the doctor in the ambulance with him is really the baddie.:eek:

I seem to remember this film being quite short and there wasn't much dialogue in it. Any ideas anyone?

Could it be http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403182/ or perhaps http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137039/

Could it be http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403182/ or perhaps http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137039/[/QUOTE]
    I think you've got it there, thanks.:)

It could be Balto.
    http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi2713190681/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ianhmoore

Hi, guessing this movies is possibly late 70's or early 80's. I only remember certain scenes from it, but it's doing my head in.

Set on board an airplane

1: A large crack/subsiding floor in the passanger cabin.

2: Co pilot or cabin crew go into the hold, all the animals are frozen in their crates.

3: Image of a doll with a burning or melting face.

4: People are gathered around a table burning money to try and stay warm.

Sound familiar to anyone at all?

How about "Adventures of the Polar Cubs." Maybe a bit too old though.

Terrible song, doesn't make me happy:rolleyes:

How about "Adventures of the Polar Cubs." Maybe a bit too old though.

Nah sorry, thanks though.

It was definitely on VHS if that narrows it down a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Can't remember the name of the film!

Only a few years old. It is Russian (I think).

Set on an remote island, some kind of weather/science outpost. Two guys live there, one old and grizzled and the other young. Several radio messages are recieved by the young guy about the old guys family. Younger lad withholds them and drama ensues - he runs away and the older man hunts him.

Really good drama. Just can't remember the name. Help!:confused:

• Advertisement

Can't remember the name of the film!

Only a few years old. It is Russian (I think).

Set on an remote island, some kind of weather/science outpost. Two guys live there, one old and grizzled and the other young. Several radio messages are recieved by the young guy about the old guys family. Younger lad withholds them and drama ensues - he runs away and the older man hunts him.

Really good drama. Just can't remember the name. Help!:confused:

How I Ended This Summer

Advertisement