Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Yea, thats it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

darkdubh wrote: »
    Eastern European movie,possibly Russian from maybe the late 70s or 80s.Story centered around these teenage lads who were out in a camp in the wild,I think they were juvenile offenders but the setting wasn't the gulag or harsh or anything.They were doing work and stuff I presume as part of their rehabilitation and there was an adult supervisor,There was a scene where two of the young lads were doing a work detail involving timber logs,maybe moving them and they spot a young couple by a river,she is wearing skimpy clothing and the boyfriend whos in swimming togs is taking saucy pictures of her.The two thugs beat up the boyfriend and one of them forces him to carry the logs that they were working on.The other guy is forcing the girl to kiss him and saying (via subtitles) to touch him.I think that scene ended there.The next bit was the adult supervisor really angry in a frenzy banging a bell to summon the inmates and when theyre gathered he shouts and berates them.The film ends with close ups of all the young guys singing,maybe the National anthem or some patriotic song.Does anyone know what this film is?

Bumping this as I still have no idea what film it was. Thinking about it now I think it was deffo Russian. I saw it on RTE 2 circa late 80's on some world cinema slot. It could possibly have been a season of Soviet movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Bumping this as I still have no idea what film it was. Thinking about it now I think it was deffo Russian. I saw it on RTE 2 circa late 80's on some world cinema slot. It could possibly have been a season of Soviet movies.

:)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086462/

http://yakinolub.ru/patsany.html

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Jaysus! Thought that was way to vague.

Heres one so, some lad was at something like the olympics and he did a heap of events one after the other and I think he won them all or maybe not -->ran the 400 then did the javelin, straight over to the long jump etc etc, haven't a clue what it was about other than that but never forgot it for some reason.

• Advertisement

Kuva wrote: »

Heres one so, some lad was at something like the olympics and he did a heap of events one after the other and I think he won them all or maybe not -->ran the 400 then did the javelin, straight over to the long jump etc etc, haven't a clue what it was about other than that but never forgot it for some reason.

See the comment I bumped which I originally posted a couple of years ago.

Kuva wrote: »

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I think the film had Rutger Hauer and it was probably late 80s, early 90s.

But all I remember was there was a guy left for dead in the desert and he had a land mine stuck to him or rigged tank shell or something.

I don't think its Beyond Justice/Desert Law.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think the film had Rutger Hauer and it was probably late 80s, early 90s.

But all I remember was there was a guy left for dead in the desert and he had a land mine stuck to him or rigged tank shell or something.

I don't think its Beyond Justice/Desert Law.

Sounds like the Beast, about a Russian tank crew in Afghanistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

American detective series from 80s-ish. Protagonist is a park ranger/tracker/outdoors guy who goes into the P.I. business, in somewhere like Seattle/Vancouver I think. Uses his skills to resolve the crime. Theme music was a guitar solo, a little bit like the Deer Hunter theme. Don't think it lasted too long, I can only remember a couple of episodes. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

it "The beast of War" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094716/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt
    great movie but brutal

MfMan wrote: »
    American detective series from 80s-ish. Protagonist is a park ranger/tracker/outdoors guy who goes into the P.I. business, in somewhere like Seattle/Vancouver I think. Uses his skills to resolve the crime. Theme music was a guitar solo, a little bit like the Deer Hunter theme. Don't think it lasted too long, I can only remember a couple of episodes. Any ideas?

Vaguely familiar. Did he have a moustache and wear a stetson type hat?

Vaguely familiar. Did he have a moustache and wear a stetson type hat?

No, was clean shaven, dark haired, if I remember properly. You may be thinking of McCloud which was a good decade earlier at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Altreab wrote: »
    it "The beast of War" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094716/?ref_=ttfc_fc_tt
    great movie but brutal

Thanks Lads. Thats the one! I'd never have guessed it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No, was clean shaven, dark haired, if I remember properly. You may be thinking of McCloud which was a good decade earlier at least.

The Fall Guy? Due South?

Mind you, they both lasted quite a few series. Both outdoorsy types, but the first was a stuntman, and the second a Canadian Mountie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,151 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You're hardly thinking of Due South?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

It's hardly Simon and Simon is it?

No to all. This wouldn't have been as well known as any of these. Had a strong emphasis on the outdoors/wilderness environment, and I if I recall correctly it was set in western America/Canada (perhaps Alaska). The pilot episode was a 2-parter perhaps and there were only 4/5 episodes subsequently I think.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It's not "Norther Exposure", is it? Mind you, not much sleuthing done in there, as far as I can remember.

Another one from that neck of the woods (somewhere cold, anyway), was "Men in Trees", but it's way more recent than what you mentioned, and again, no sleuthing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

How about this, high mountian ranger or it's spin off

Again, no to both I'm afraid. The protagonist was more of a solitary type. I remember one scene, it may have been in the credits, where he tracks a quarry by examining broken tree twigs. Again, as far as I remember, the theme tune was guitar playing, more reserved than the typical loud, brash opening music. Feck, it's bugging me now.

No to all. This wouldn't have been as well known as any of these. Had a strong emphasis on the outdoors/wilderness environment, and I if I recall correctly it was set in western America/Canada (perhaps Alaska). The pilot episode was a 2-parter perhaps and there were only 4/5 episodes subsequently I think.

Sounds like it could be Kodiak starring Clint Walker. Main character is a park ranger, set in Alaska and it was cancelled halfway through the first season. I remember RTE showing it in the late 80's though it was made in 1974.

Edit: didn't see that it was already mentioned and ruled out. Was certain that was it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071002/

Could it be Sierra?

Fraid not DD. It was definitely into the 80s at least when I saw this, and it was contemporary for it's time.

I do remember Sierra tho', liked the opening tune.

Fraid not DD. It was definitely into the 80s at least when I saw this, and it was contemporary for it's time.

I do remember Sierra tho', liked the opening tune.

Maybe this

Jesse Hawkes is an American action television series that aired from April 22 until May 27, 1989. The series is a spin-off of High Mountain Rangers.

Nada too. My guy was a solitary hunter, had no sidekick.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭alan123

Apologies if Im in the wrong place... looking for a documentary (not film). Ive Googled the heck out of it but cant find it.
    About 3 years ago I watched an awesome documentary, it was about a police surveilance operation on an islamic terrorist financing group. I think it was in the UK. It showed all the real footage of a guys coming and going to this run down looking place with sports bags (which actually were full of cash) and then going into different banks every day and making lodgements. It was cool because it showed all the police surveillance footage and the eventual take down.
    Id love to see it again. Ive a feeling it was a C4 or a dispatches or panorama or something. It was high quality. Any docu buffs to help???

• Advertisement
Advertisement