Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Was it Men Behind the Sun?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 barryegan

Good shout but never heard of that one before and don't think that would have been on in the house when I was growing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

barryegan wrote: »
    Good shout but never heard of that one before and don't think that would have been on in the house when I was growing up!
    You sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 barryegan

Hard to believe but that's not ringing any bells. In my mind, the scene was set inside some dank, dark place. I really don't want to rewatch The Last Emperor to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Sorry to butt in but seen a trailer for a film last night would have been 2000's anyway. Basically the guy goes to his bank and theirs no money in his account then suddenly millions and he goes back to his apartment and their is loads of stuff their (drugs and weapons I think) then the police break into his apartment and it's basically the start of the film. It looked pretty useless but had me intrigued, any help?

• Advertisement

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Sorry to butt in but seen a trailer for a film last night would have been 2000's anyway. Basically the guy goes to his bank and theirs no money in his account then suddenly millions and he goes back to his apartment and their is loads of stuff their (drugs and weapons I think) then the police break into his apartment and it's basically the start of the film. It looked pretty useless but had me intrigued, any help?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1059786/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_18

The idea was good (in fact intriguing is spot on); just not done exceptionally well. It's a decent switch off your brain thriller. I'd recommend giving it a go, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

talking about films at work earlier and one of the girls said she had been trying to find the name of this creepy film she watched as a kid for donkeys so I said I'd post it here and maybe get some suggestions!

Its set in a house and someone has like a voodoo dolls house model of the casts house and if something is done to the dolls house it happens in the actual house.. sets fire to it etc..
    any ideas?might have been late 80's/early 90s judging by her age

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    talking about films at work earlier and one of the girls said she had been trying to find the name of this creepy film she watched as a kid for donkeys so I said I'd post it here and maybe get some suggestions!

Its set in a house and someone has like a voodoo dolls house model of the casts house and if something is done to the dolls house it happens in the actual house.. sets fire to it etc..
    any ideas?might have been late 80's/early 90s judging by her age
    I'd bet the house (lol I'm hilarious) that it's Amityville Dollhouse even though it's late 90's.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115535/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amityville_Dollhouse#Plot

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Cheers for the suggestion I'll ask her tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

This may not even be a film, but i'm reasonably certain it is..memory is *really* vague

something from about 20 years ago (which I saw that long ago and not since) with a storyline which I thiiink involved an undercover cop going undercover at a university. I think the movie might have started off with him undercover as an ice cream salesman, complete with van. Something happens at the university.. a takeover of some sort, by criminals I guess? I think it had a scene where a female teacher gets stabbed in the ankle with a pencil (much like in The Evil Dead) and then hides under a desk. So not a kiddie film at all.

Just something that pops into my head quite rarely but I've no idea what it was. I have likely dreamed this entire story up and it doesn't actually exist as a film :)

Decided to have a quick look again for this and found it pretty quickly this time - It's Plainclothes from 1988. A lot more light-hearted than I remember it (I was possibly 4 or 5 years old when I saw this..)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Posted about this before but still don't know what it film it is.1970s US thriller about a couple who are on the run from a hitman,I think they might have witnessed him murder someone.As far as I remember the hitman doesn't say anything throughout the film or if he does very little.Theres a scene near the start where he's in a roadside cafe and when he comes up to pay the waitress says to him "Mister don't you ever talk".He puts what I presume is a dollar bill into his mouth and spits it out onto the counter as payment.Towards I think the end the on the run couple are hitchhiking out in this remote place and the hitman picks them up in a truck,they still don't know what he looks like at this stage I think.The woman gets suspicious when she sees there's no key in the ignition so knows its been hotwired.The rest of the film is kind of a blur.

P.S.It was on RTE1 that I saw it,would have been 1988.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

darkdubh wrote: »
    Theres a scene near the start where he's in a roadside cafe and when he comes up to pay the waitress says to him "Mister don't you ever talk".He puts what I presume is a dollar bill into his mouth and spits it out onto the counter as payment.

Night Terror (1977).

Night Terror (1977).

Thats it!Nice one.

Bit at 9.26 also solves the mystery of why he doesn't speak(at least not much)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭MfMan

Film from back 70's anyway, maybe a TVM, was in colour as far as I can recall. Set in perhaps California, it begins with a number of Highway patrolmen driving cars along the highway and becoming involved in a big pile-up. Main character, (whom I thought was Gregory Peck but nothing of his fits), is wearing sunglasses. Sorry, that's all I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

MfMan wrote: »
    Film from back 70's anyway, maybe a TVM, was in colour as far as I can recall. Set in perhaps California, it begins with a number of Highway patrolmen driving cars along the highway and becoming involved in a big pile-up. Main character, (whom I thought was Gregory Peck but nothing of his fits), is wearing sunglasses. Sorry, that's all I can remember.

Vanishing Point?

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    Vanishing Point?

No, definitely not. From the very brief clip I remember and saw, it seemed to be a more policeman-centric drama, perhaps to do with the main character's development or fallout from the big smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In the opening scene of the The Driver (1978) with Ryan O'Neal a few dozen cop cars end up crashing on roads including a highway.

However, I'm not too sure if that's the film you're looking for as in the opening chase scene O'Neal isn't wear sunglasses..... but he does wear some later on the film during the more iconic warehouse scene though..... so maybe.

driv3.jpg

No, t'ain't that either I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Here's another one from my childhood.. Definitely a low budget 80s/early 90s sci fi. I'd have seen this pre 1993.

A cop from the future has to go to the past for some reason. I think he wore a tan coloured trenchcoat.. Anyway he had a futurisitic gun that shot lasers I think, and it had run out of power. I remember a scene where he visits some sort of street vendor and gets some AA batteries, puts them in his gun but unforunatly this is present day battery tech so the test fire only emits a sort of pathetic laser "drip" from the barrel of the gun :D

That's all I can recall. A low budget Time Cop of sorts.

Here's another one from my childhood.. Definitely a low budget 80s/early 90s sci fi. I'd have seen this pre 1993.

A cop from the future has to go to the past for some reason. I think he wore a tan coloured trenchcoat.. Anyway he had a futurisitic gun that shot lasers I think, and it had run out of power. I remember a scene where he visits some sort of street vendor and gets some AA batteries, puts them in his gun but unforunatly this is present day battery tech so the test fire only emits a sort of pathetic laser "drip" from the barrel of the gun :D

That's all I can recall. A low budget Time Cop of sorts.

Trancers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

Not darkman no?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

breadbin wrote: »
    Not darkman no?

No time travel in that from what I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Vanishing Point?

No, definitely not. From the very brief clip I remember and saw, it seemed to be a more policeman-centric drama, perhaps to do with the main character's development or fallout from the big smash.

Cannon ball run maybe?

Cannon ball run maybe?

No, didn't look like a comedy I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

Smash-Up on Interstate 5

dailymotion.com/video/x2l44sn

Early 70s (?) movie which I saw on video years ago.Kind of sleazy feel to it which was about a young hippy girl (she might have been a runaway) who is exploited and abused by a pimp,he might have been hispanic/Mexican.A lot of it is a blur,I remember a hippy orgy scene in a house where theres a guy in a bandana playing the bongos.In the end the girl is in a car with the pimp and they're arguing when she grabs the steering wheel and the car goes over a ravine and bursts into flames,the film then ends.

Its probably quite obscure,had a very low budget look and feel to it.

Smash-Up on Interstate 5

dailymotion.com/video/x2l44sn

Legend! Thinking there was a beefcake actor in the lead role. Goodish cast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 isntlee

Gene Hackman in glasses at an awkward party, in what I think was a garage?
    It's not the clearest memory I admit

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

isntlee wrote: »
    Gene Hackman in glasses at an awkward party, in what I think was a garage?
    It's not the clearest memory I admit

The Conversation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 isntlee

That's it

Advertisement