Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

MfMan wrote: »
    A British TV mini-series, 2 or 3 parts if I remember, from the 80s I think. Has spy/cold war theme to it. At the opening credits, set initially in 1975 again AFAIK, it's at night and a snowbound setting somewhere in Scandanavia; the bearded protagonist is seen walking down a wooded hill and approaching a car that maybe is on fire and there's a body of a man lying there that may have been shot. The protagonist then flees the scene. The main series is then set a few years after this. Definitely not a John Le Carre work, not Callan either.

Harrys Game?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

Harrys Game?

No, was European-looking rather than Northern Ireland. Same era though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

MfMan wrote: »
    A British TV mini-series, 2 or 3 parts if I remember, from the 80s I think. Has spy/cold war theme to it. At the opening credits, set initially in 1975 again AFAIK, it's at night and a snowbound setting somewhere in Scandanavia; the bearded protagonist is seen walking down a wooded hill and approaching a car that maybe is on fire and there's a body of a man lying there that may have been shot. The protagonist then flees the scene. The main series is then set a few years after this. Definitely not a John Le Carre work, not Callan either.

Could be Game Set And Match which starred Ian Holm.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092360/

1970's American movie which I remember had a made for TV feel to it. A black mans 20 something son comes out as gay and brings home his partner who is a screamingly camp white guy. There was a line about the son being maybe drafted into the army and the camp white lad says something like "oh no, I could never be a war bride". I remember in the end the father breaks the fourth wall and speaks to the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

darkdubh wrote: »
    Could be Game Set And Match which starred Ian Holm.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092360/

No, predates that as far as I can remember. Was a niche enough series I think, 2-3 episodes max.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

1980's movie where a man gets struck by lightning (i think) then has electric powers, I remember him falling into a lot of metal bars and electrocuting himself somehow with his own powers?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

safetyboy wrote: »
    1980's movie where a man gets struck by lightning (i think) then has electric powers, I remember him falling into a lot of metal bars and electrocuting himself somehow with his own powers?

The Power Within?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ransomes 1936

the song that you are looking for is called "Faster Faster" written and preformed by the late Paul Jabara. It featured in the 1981 film Honky Tonk Freeway staring Jabara, William Devane Beverly D'angelo Beau Bridges and Jessica Tandy. In the film Paul Jabara plays the part of a truck driver and want to be country singer songwriter. the song is played towards the end of the film (Just before the big crash scene). unfortunately the and its soundtrack were unsuccessful at the time. which is why the song is mainly forgotten about. i have tried unsuccessfully it get an Mp3 version of this song and it can only be found in one or only two virus diseased free download websites. as luck would have it I am promised an almost new version of the lP from a cousin of mine in America.

the song that you are looking for is called "Faster Faster" written and preformed by the late Paul Jabara. It featured in the 1981 film Honky Tonk Freeway staring Jabara, William Devane Beverly D'angelo Beau Bridges and Jessica Tandy. In the film Paul Jabara plays the part of a truck driver and want to be country singer songwriter. the song is played towards the end of the film (Just before the big crash scene). unfortunately the and its soundtrack were unsuccessful at the time. which is why the song is mainly forgotten about. i have tried unsuccessfully it get an Mp3 version of this song and it can only be found in one or only two virus diseased free download websites. as luck would have it I am promised an almost new version of the lP from a cousin of mine in America.

Whose query are you answering? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Can someone please help me out here. I'm sure i've seen this in a film.

Someone gets hit by a falling bullet from celebratory gunfire and the person they're with gets help. My memory is very hazy here!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,145 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The Mexican?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

El Duda wrote: »
    Can someone please help me out here. I'm sure i've seen this in a film.

Someone gets hit by a falling bullet from celebratory gunfire and the person they're with gets help. My memory is very hazy here!

Is it The Mexican with Brad Pitt?

Edit: Mickeroo's had the same answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

I had babel in mind but its not that. I was also thinking Brad Pitt. I'll assume that you have answered my question!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Early 70s (?) movie which I saw on video years ago.Kind of sleazy feel to it which was about a young hippy girl (she might have been a runaway) who is exploited and abused by a pimp,he might have been hispanic/Mexican.A lot of it is a blur,I remember a hippy orgy scene in a house where theres a guy in a bandana playing the bongos.In the end the girl is in a car with the pimp and they're arguing when she grabs the steering wheel and the car goes over a ravine and bursts into flames,the film then ends.

Its probably quite obscure,had a very low budget look and feel to it.

Bugging me for a while think i seen the trailer on Synapse's 42'nd Street Forever Blu-ray Edition. Will have a look tonight.

Another movie that I saw years ago that I'm trying to remember.It was I think Scandinavian and dubbed into English.I rented it out on video because it sounded like a slasher flick but it was gore free and more of a psychological thriller.Anyway the story was about a convicted murderer whos locked up in an asylum for the criminally insane,its by the sea in a really remote coastal area.He manages to get out of his cell at night and murder people he has a grudge against.I think he was using a piece of a clock that he had hidden in his cell to pick the lock or something,once he'd commited the murders hed return to his cell and no one could prove it was him.It was I'd say from the late 60s or 70s and it had a one word title that was something similar to Maniac or Psychopath(not those obviously but similar meaning).

This is still bugging me.

This is still bugging me.

Couldn't find anything on 42nd Street Forever. It is really annoying.

The Swedish movie is "The Night Visitor" aka "Lunatic".

jh79 wrote: »

Actually re-reading it again could the other one be "The Depraved" aka "Exposed" starring Christina Lindberg? A car does flip over , there is an orgy in the trailer too but no bongos. It is Swedish too.

That's the one, it was under the title Lunatic that I saw it on an old VHS video.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Night_Visitor

Actually re-reading it again could the other one be "The Depraved" aka "Exposed" starring Christina Lindberg? A car does flip over , there is an orgy in the trailer too but no bongos. It is Swedish too.

Looked that up and don't think that's it. It was deffo an American film or at least American based.Now that I think of it the pimp character was Mexican and I think he might have worn an eye patch.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I remember just the start of this film which I'd say was from the 70's/early 80's. This scruffy bearded guy has a rolled up newspaper up to his eye pretending its a telescope. He goes into an army recruitment center and tries to dissuade the potential recruits from joining up, He gets thrown out, think he was shouting that he was a Vietnam veteran and that they'd be all killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭George White

1970's American movie which I remember had a made for TV feel to it. A black mans 20 something son comes out as gay and brings home his partner who is a screamingly camp white guy. There was a line about the son being maybe drafted into the army and the camp white lad says something like "oh no, I could never be a war bride". I remember in the end the father breaks the fourth wall and speaks to the audience.
    Norman, Is That You? (1976)
    Theatrically released but made with TV cameras, on video, because its star was Redd Foxx, star of Sanford and Son, the black US remake of Steptoe and Son.
    The camp white lad, Dennis Dugan directed I Now Pronounce You, Chuck and Larry.

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I think it was a show but might have been a film, probably from the early 80s, maybe even 70s. All I can remember is that it was set in the desert, there was a blonde haired English guy. I think there were lads in black clothes and lads in white clothes and they were wandering about the desert on horses and were at war with each other.

March or Die?
    Beau Geste?

Late 60s early 70s British Sci-Fi movie.Something to do with UFOs or Aliens,there was a scene of a jet fighter being sucked up into a UFO by a beam.Don't remember too much else except the main male actor had a moustache and there was a sexy female scientist.

The BodyStealers (1969)
    youtube! wrote: »
    Ok here's a strange one for ya, I saw it about 6-7 yrs back but I am pretty sure it was a late 60s early 70s film. Watched it late one friday night on RTE

Details, A British movie, all I can remember was a few scenes, the general theme was there was some kind of swimming contest down in Devon or Cornwall area where the competitors had to swim out to sea to a boat or something, anyway there were some football hooligans from London who were causing all sorts of chaos including destroying a model railway which was in the middle of the resort. There was lots of fighting and jealous boyfriends and so on, it was actually pretty crap but for some reason I would love to watch it again! (work that one out) !

I would be shocked if anyone gets it.

Malachi's Cove, 1973?

Reon wrote: »
    movie about some family mom dad and little girl move to a house with a massive pond type thing and soon the girl discovers fairy type people living in there but they look all evil(theyre not they just look evil), the town tries to get rid of the pond because of pipe issues or something and then the girl gets hurt and the fairy master or something heals her? its a very old movie who ever finds this i will love forever!!,
    Late suggestion but:
    The Fairy King of Ar?

Norman, Is That You? (1976)
    Theatrically released but made with TV cameras, on video, because its star was Redd Foxx, star of Sanford and Son, the black US remake of Steptoe and Son.
    The camp white lad, Dennis Dugan directed I Now Pronounce You, Chuck and Larry.

That's the one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Mad random I know but three movies came in to my head today and I can't for the life of me identify either of them.

First one, there's a scene where there's a knock on the door of an apartment, the lady goes, who I believe is in distress, goes to answer it. She looks through the peephole and the scene switches to looking through the peephole. There's a guy pointing a gun and he shoots her through the peephole. Think they were looking for the boyfriend. Pretty sure the boyfriend is then captured.

Second one, equally random. Remember seeing this as a kid. Bag guys call to a big house, proper mansion, and there's a big blonde guy (good guy), hulk hogan looking guy, made wear a tutu. Pretty sure it might be a kids' movie but it was terrifying seeing it as a kid.

Third movie, there's a guy on a boat going around killing people. The guy is entirely covered in a gold spandex looking outfit. I think he has a knife.

That's all I can remember. If yous have any questions I'll try answer them.. Cheers lads.

EDIT: The first two are probably at least ten years old, the third at least 20 I'd guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

BOHtox wrote: »
    Mad random I know but three movies came in to my head today and I can't for the life of me identify either of them.

First one, there's a scene where there's a knock on the door of an apartment, the lady goes, who I believe is in distress, goes to answer it. She looks through the peephole and the scene switches to looking through the peephole. There's a guy pointing a gun and he shoots her through the peephole. Think they were looking for the boyfriend. Pretty sure the boyfriend is then captured.

Second one, equally random. Remember seeing this as a kid. Bag guys call to a big house, proper mansion, and there's a big blonde guy (good guy), hulk hogan looking guy, made wear a tutu. Pretty sure it might be a kids' movie but it was terrifying seeing it as a kid.

Third movie, there's a guy on a boat going around killing people. The guy is entirely covered in a gold spandex looking outfit. I think he has a knife.

That's all I can remember. If yous have any questions I'll try answer them.. Cheers lads.

EDIT: The first two are probably at least ten years old, the third at least 20 I'd guess

First one could be Terror at the Opera by Dario Argento, its been years since ive seen it but there is definitely a scene as you described in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Is the 2nd one the Hulk Hogan movie Mr. Nanny? He wears a tutu in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Rod Munch wrote: »
    First one could be Terror at the Opera by Dario Argento, its been years since ive seen it but there is definitely a scene as you described in it.

Nah I'm afraid not. I had a look at that movie though and tbf it's matching a lot but not the one I'm looking for I'm afraid. Cheers for the help though
    Kolido wrote: »
    Is the 2nd one the Hulk Hogan movie Mr. Nanny? He wears a tutu in it.

Spot on! Just had a look at that scene there, about 15 years since I've seen it. I used to have nightmares about the antagonist

Advertisement