Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Australian film that I saw on video circa 1991/92.It was set in the 1930s and was about striking workers (could have been a shipyard but not sure) who come into conflict with the Italian workers who are brought in by their employers to break the strike and refered to by the strikers throughout as "scabs".One was of the striking workers was an Irish character called Paddy and he's arrested by the police for having a bomb.As he's led away he shouts "If I had a bomb I wouldn't waste it on scabs I'd use it on youse".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

darkdubh wrote: »
    Australian film that I saw on video circa 1991/92.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086570/

TV miniseries called "Waterfront".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086570/

TV miniseries called "Waterfront".

That was quick,thats it all right,nice one!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

darkdubh wrote: »
    That was quick,thats it all right,nice one!

I must admit I did not find this, Google did, searching:
    australian strike paddy italian movie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Not it I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

A film, likely from the 90s. Scenes set at a newspaper editors. Young photographer goes with other photographers to get a photo of two guys on trial. She falls/is knocked to the ground, and takes photos from the ground, 1 which happens to be perfect after checking later through a magnifying glass. Any ideas??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

DÃ&#179 wrote: »
    A film, likely from the 90s. Scenes set at a newspaper editors. Young photographer goes with other photographers to get a photo of two guys on trial. She falls/is knocked to the ground, and takes photos from the ground, 1 which happens to be perfect after checking later through a magnifying glass. Any ideas??

The Paper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Anyone remember a scene from a film about five or six years back where they are in a private lap dancing club, or a peep show or something and the couple start having sex and the woman asks to be punched and the guy refuses, so she punches him and then he punches her back.... ?

Sounds comical I know. Think it was a European film, maybe Danish or Norwegian.

Defiantly wasn't A Serbian Film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

The thought of a movie just popped into my head and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I know it involved a mountain of some sort and a stranger who comes to a town and possibly falls in love with a women there, also there was a kid involved some how could of been the women's son, think it was set in olden times before technology and could of also been about some sort of spirituality in some way.

I know there not the best of details but it's all I can remember and it's really wrecking my head :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    The thought of a movie just popped into my head and I can't for the life of me remember what it was. I know it involved a mountain of some sort and a stranger who comes to a town and possibly falls in love with a women there, also there was a kid involved some how could of been the women's son, think it was set in olden times before technology and could of also been about some sort of spirituality in some way.

I know there not the best of details but it's all I can remember and it's really wrecking my head :pac:

Ruckus (1980)?

• Advertisement

MfMan wrote: »
    Ruckus (1980)?

Nope, it was a modern enough movie but was set in older times (or just in a really poor town)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

ItsHoggie wrote: »

The English man who went up a hill but came down a mountain.

mackeire wrote: »
    The English man who went up a hill but came down a mountain.

Nope, ''twas a recent enough movie, all I can remember was that the town needed something from the mountain or beyond the mountain or maybe the man was original found on the mountain :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JakeyJake

Okay so this film came out in the 50's. It was shown in the Savoy in or around September to November 1956 but probably came out in the states before that. It is a "Roman Epic". Im trying to find the film for my grandfather, as it was the film he brought my Grandmother to see on their first date. This is the only information I could gather without ruining his christmas present. Please, someone help me find it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Anyone remember a scene from a film about five or six years back where they are in a private lap dancing club, or a peep show or something and the couple start having sex and the woman asks to be punched and the guy refuses, so she punches him and then he punches her back.... ?

Sounds comical I know. Think it was a European film, maybe Danish or Norwegian.

Defiantly wasn't A Serbian Film.

I found the answer to this in case anyone was wondering. It was a few years older than I remembered but was Norwegian and was called Next Door / Naboer.

JakeyJake wrote: »
    Okay so this film came out in the 50's. It was shown in the Savoy in or around September to November 1956 but probably came out in the states before that. It is a "Roman Epic". Im trying to find the film for my grandfather, as it was the film he brought my Grandmother to see on their first date. This is the only information I could gather without ruining his christmas present. Please, someone help me find it.

This came out in 56. Not Roman but close enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_the_Great_(1956_film)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

JakeyJake wrote: »

I've checked old newspaper listings for this and I can't see anything that matches the description in the Savoy during those months.

However, 'Aida' with Sophia Loren ran in the Astor for six weeks during that period. Could that have been it?

Or 'Land of the Pharoahs' in the Adelphi the week starting Friday, 19th October?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I think it was a show but might have been a film, probably from the early 80s, maybe even 70s. All I can remember is that it was set in the desert, there was a blonde haired English guy. I think there were lads in black clothes and lads in white clothes and they were wandering about the desert on horses and were at war with each other.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Any chance it was one of these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I think it was a show but might have been a film, probably from the early 80s, maybe even 70s. All I can remember is that it was set in the desert, there was a blonde haired English guy. I think there were lads in black clothes and lads in white clothes and they were wandering about the desert on horses and were at war with each other.

I know it's not this but I immediately thought of Lawrence of Arabia when I read your post!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I vaguely remember a film from the 80s or 90s about a green sky which appears and makes cars and electrical items come alive basiclly, I remember the main item being a black truck?

Any ideas anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

There's a movie song that keeps going through my head. I think it's a movie from 70s or 80s. Possibly a comedy. In the bit I remember there is some guy driving an RV faster and faster, almost comically fast (cause I remember it being fun).But there's a distinct song playing that he is singing along to as he speeds up.

It's something like "everybody's going faster faster , everybody goings faster faster ... ooh ooh you don't give a damn or understand." Then I think there's a bit he sings like "you see the faces that we see they don't relate to you or me". And that's literally all I remember...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

GM228 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember a film from the 80s or 90s about a green sky which appears and makes cars and electrical items come alive basiclly, I remember the main item being a black truck?

Any ideas anybody?

Maximum Overdrive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

GM228 wrote: »

Any ideas anybody?

That would be the heap of scutter that is the Stephen King directed Maximum Overdrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

That would be the heap of scutter that is the Stephen King directed Maximum Overdrive.
    jh79 wrote: »
    Maximum Overdrive?

That's it, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭j_lennon18

Drumpot wrote: »
    There's a movie song that keeps going through my head. I think it's a movie from 70s or 80s. Possibly a comedy. In the bit I remember there is some guy driving an RV faster and faster, almost comically fast (cause I remember it being fun).But there's a distinct song playing that he is singing along to as he speeds up.

It's something like "everybody's going faster faster , everybody goings faster faster ... ooh ooh you don't give a damn or understand." Then I think there's a bit he sings like "you see the faces that we see they don't relate to you or me". And that's literally all I remember...

Honky Tonk Freeway?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

j_lennon18 wrote: »

That's it. Thanks a million , don't know why I didn't post it here sooner!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

I vaguely remember this prison drama dating from maybe the 70s and this scene where the inmates are getting their meal in the canteen. One guy says to the fella serving the food "Hey man these eggs stink". Yer man laughs at him in reply and says something mocking to which the other guy throws the tray of food at him. The guy serving who I remember was tall and gangly jumps over the counter and fights with yer man. I kind of remember it having a made for TV movie feel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭MfMan

A British TV mini-series, 2 or 3 parts if I remember, from the 80s I think. Has spy/cold war theme to it. At the opening credits, set initially in 1975 again AFAIK, it's at night and a snowbound setting somewhere in Scandanavia; the bearded protagonist is seen walking down a wooded hill and approaching a car that maybe is on fire and there's a body of a man lying there that may have been shot. The protagonist then flees the scene. The main series is then set a few years after this. Definitely not a John Le Carre work, not Callan either.

Advertisement