Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm pretty sure this mode is only in there as an extra for the fans and won't be for tournament play. I very much doubt Capcom will be balancing the game for all types of characters. I'm all for it, I loved this mode in the old Saturn SF2 game that had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

There's no way this will be the tournament default (even says "Dream match ups" in the trailer) but I'm really looking forward to having the option available at casuals, will be a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Vanilla Sagat vs AE Yun omg

YpF4rjf.png

Proper button select option!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

From SRK:
    Capcom’s USFIV blog has a bit more on Edition Select. The feature is exclusive to the home versions of USFIV and is not compatible with online modes.

Yeah, I'm fine with this. It's clearly being made with causal fun in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Wonder how this works in game with regards to Ultra mechanics e.g 1F extra hit stop in Ultra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

i assume extra hitstop will be across the board but redf/wu will only be available to ultra pick

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Loads of little cool bits here but I think my fave is when when young Gouken/ Aluma strike their characters SF4 stances at 5:10 ish

Man, I'm amazed they're using practical effects for the hadoukens! That looked awesome in that making of. I hope it looks that good on actual film!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Are people actually surprised edition select isn't gonna be at tournaments/online ranked? :S cmon.....

An option to turn it on for fun endless lobbies though would be good...step it up capcom

also, where the **** is that online rematch feature at?! the game NEEDS one

The character themes sound sick, rolento's one from Final fight sounds godlike, so does poison's

Ramza wrote: »
    Are people actually surprised edition select isn't gonna be at tournaments/online ranked? :S cmon.....

An option to turn it on for fun endless lobbies though would be good...step it up capcom

The character themes sound sick, rolento's one from Final fight sounds godlike, so does poison's

Surprised they haven't implemented this for player match.

• Advertisement

Nutrient wrote: »
    Surprised they haven't implemented this for player match.

I thought it was in offline local play but just not gonna be allowed at tournies?

I thought it was in offline local play but just not gonna be allowed at tournies?

There's some jp blog or something saying they're considering online options too.

As it stands, you're correct- offline only.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Fight request in training mode. Hurry up.

Were you actually able to hear the new character themes at the loc-test, Ramza? Or have they been uploaded somewhere?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Were you actually able to hear the new character themes at the loc-test, Ramza? Or have they been uploaded somewhere?

I'm almost certain I heard Elena's theme at the LocTest.

That sounds like a cool feature

I wasn't able to hear **** at the loc test :( but, on all of the brand new character trailers, you can hear a good size snippet of the character themes in the background

for example you can hear rolento's theme at around the 0:32 second mark

sounds really well done :)

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    I'm almost certain I heard Elena's theme at the LocTest.

I could tell that the music playing on the new stages was original, but that was about it. There was too much background noise for me at least to be able to make anything else out.

EDIT:
    That sounds like a cool feature

I wasn't able to hear **** at the loc test :( but, on all of the brand new character trailers, you can hear a good size snippet of the character themes in the background

for example you can hear rolento's theme at around the 0:32 second mark

sounds really well done :)

Nice one, Ramza. Looks like Hugo and Elena both got their 3rd Strike themes. They actually gave Rolento his proper Final Fight theme this time as well - the one he's had from Alpha up until now was from Abigail's stage, which always bugged me. Poison's is pretty good, but if it's from another game, I don't recognise it.

Elena - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpvn1ZORleg
    Hugo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0gRCGfi6hA
    Poison - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNt1GHMvZfE
    Rolento - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY0WRCGuNqE

The sound was really low but I'm pretty sure there was new menu music too.

The sound was really low but I'm pretty sure there was new menu music too.

There definitely was, but it was too noisy to tell if it was any good or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

!INDESTRUCTABLE!

!INDESTRUCTABLE!

Maybe for edition select? That would be incredible.

• Advertisement

The new menu music is just the music that plays at the start of each of the character trailers

Hey guys, need a bit of terminology help if ye don't mind. I'm writing a program that lists the moves character A can use to punish character B's moves. (probably already been done, but it's more of a mental exercise than anything else.

Here's the bit I need a hand with:

If character B is -14 on block and character A has a move that starts in 14 frames, do you call that a 0 frame punish or a 1 frame punish?

Similarly, character A also has a move that starts in 15 frames, is this a 1 frame punish or a 2 frame punish?

Would it be more correct to call it a "2 frame punish" or a "2 frame window to punish"?

Thanks for the help guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

1f punish.

Same thing with combos, +5 on hit, 5f startup of next move to link, 1f link.

Thanks Fergy-senpai, sugoi desuyo-ne~

Similarly, character A also has a move that starts in 15 frames, is this a 1 frame punish or a 2 frame punish?

Would it be more correct to call it a "2 frame punish" or a "2 frame window to punish"?

Thanks for the help guys!

If a character is -14 they could block the 15f startup move, wouldn't be a punish

I think what you mean is, if char B was -14, and character a had a 13f move, that would be a 2f punish (practically a 2 frame link in essence)

Frames are frames, whether it be a punish combo or a link combo, you still have X amount of frames to input said move for that situation. Which is why plinking is also applicable outside of just link (example : when punishing negative moves with normals)

It's also more accurate to use the term "frame" instead of "frame window", such is the reasoning behind using the word frame, since it encapsulates the fact that you indeed have a 2 frame window to punish, as well as being easier to say :)

Also can be seen with links, X Frame link = X frame window to link said move, all the same :)

Hope this helps

Yeah that makes sense. It's one of those things I understood but couldn't put into words haha. Program is done anyway, just gotta add more characters. Unfortunately it's in Python so it's not the easiest to share. I'm hoping to learn a more useful language soon and translate it over so I can share it with people.

Yeah that makes sense. It's one of those things I understood but couldn't put into words haha. Program is done anyway, just gotta add more characters. Unfortunately it's in Python so it's not the easiest to share. I'm hoping to learn a more useful language soon and translate it over so I can share it with people.

Could give you some help if you choose Java/C# route

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

not that anyone cares about my opinion
    but i think have various versions of characters is silly. It just creates chaos, even if its outside the standard mode. These are not different characters so they should not be treated as such. Some viable and dominant changes do not warrant reincarnation by any means. These measures were put into place for a reason, re balancing. How is anyone even gonna know all the different match ups? i know its for fun but just reaks of SNK vs Capcom or one of those titles with everything in it.

Looking forward to the new release anyway,
    RETS FIGHTING ROVE, fight scene in Manchester is dead.

Placebo wrote: »
    i know its for fun but just reaks of SNK vs Capcom or one of those titles with everything in it.
    I think they're aiming for exactly that - they've run out of actual useful wanted features for SF4 with all the various iterations. This stuff is just extra - totally optional - icing on the product that doesn't affect the quality of the rest of the balancing.

As for Indestructible being included, alas EXILE are unbelievably huge over here right now. They were already massive when SF4 was launched, but I'd say it's just financially impractical for Capcom to relicense the song again. I wouldn't rule it out entirely, but I'd say it's unlikely :/

On the plus side, I realized it was in all the karaoke places when I went out singing the other day! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Nice one, Rolento having his real FF theme is seriously the best thing they've revealed.

OK that and take no prisoners being back.

Advertisement