Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

raah! wrote: »
    They ruined street fighter.

How?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Adding terrible new game mechanics.

Actually, now that I think about it. Both of those things aren't going to be as useful as they seem. There's just gonna be a lot more random focus release full damage gimp comboes.

The two ultras seem like they would be way over powered, but normally the choice between ultras is usability vs big damage, if they lower the damage of the big damage one that makes having both of them less good, since you'd just use the usable one more anyway, and if you did get a chance for the big one it would just be less good.

Adding terrible new game mechanics.

Actually, now that I think about it. Both of those things aren't going to be as useful as they seem. There's just gonna be a lot more random focus release full damage gimp comboes.

The two ultras seem like they would be way over powered, but normally the choice between ultras is usability vs big damage, if they lower the damage of the big damage one that makes having both of them less good, since you'd just use the usable one more anyway, and if you did get a chance for the big one it would just be less good.

It was mentioned that having 2 ultras decreases there overall damage

Some tweets from justin

"But red focus will also help against characters who you normally cannot focus on like cammy cr.mk into drill, yang cr.mk into rekka, and etc"
    "Also charge characters will have an easier time to beat red focus due to their very good armor breaking moves ie EX P.Crusher, Blanka Ball"
    "Even though you guys think red focus will abuse able, you will learn to react and do armor breaker moves instead."

Sure if it's not good they will just remove it

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

They ruined street fighter.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_FOREVER

You can't really say that til you've played the game... although on the face of it grapplers just became very scary indeed.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Ruined_FOREVER

You can't really say that til you've played the game... although on the face of it grapplers just became very scary indeed.

Things that have Ruined Transformers Forever in the past

lmao this is rich

really Silly question. what do you think may happen if you select 2 ultras and your character has 2 QCF ultras and you do all kicks and punchs?

Would Ryu get His DP ultra because kicks takes presedence in priority?

• Advertisement

Nutrient wrote: »
    Things that have Ruined Transformers Forever in the past

I remember when they hit the shops in 1991, was very confusing to a young transformers fan. lol

Nutrient wrote: »

really Silly question. what do you think may happen if you select 2 ultras and your character has 2 QCF ultras and you do all kicks and punchs?

Would Ryu get His DP ultra because kicks takes presedence in priority?

I dunno but you could test it with Rog- he has uppercuts if you ultra holding kicks and straights if you do it with punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Well you can't say I didn't warn yas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

As a Rose player this new ultra option is brilliant. Satellite does virtually no damage anyway and Scarf is so awkward it's rarely used aside from the occasional Blanka. Having both available at any given time, even with a damage decrease is awesome.

Also look at characters like Gief who are going to be utterly terrifying with 2 ultras.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I've been thinking about gief, it may still be best to go for a fully powered U2, rather than both.

With U1 only, you lose a move.
    With U2, you still have SPDs, just not as powerful obv.

I suppose with will come down to how much damage is really lost, plus the mindgame factor.

Glad that the game is getting new mechanics, only justifiable reason for a new version imo.

Would rather see red focus as more parry style, or red parry style for interrupting block strings.

Biggest shame is the lack of next gen release (if we believe ono)

When PS4 drops, I'm not maintaining xbox live gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

I dont really like the new additions either...

Cody doesnt benefit from any of those, both his ultras suck lol.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

How many more versions of this game are we going to see? They're adding new characters AND mechanics. That means we're gonna see at least one more update somewhere down the road.

We'll have spent some amount of money on SFIV by the time its finished :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Yeah, but I believe it's better than releasing a new game every year or 2 like COD, which is mostly just reskin with map packs..

Rob2D wrote: »
    How many more versions of this game are we going to see? They're adding new characters AND mechanics. That means we're gonna see at least one more update somewhere down the road.

We'll have spent some amount of money on SFIV by the time its finished :pac:

Honest answer would be depends if ultra sells or not! But yeah, I'd hope new mechanics means an extra balance patch down the road.

Sadly, that defeats the whole point of it being a "tournament standard" release, but we'll find a way to survive somehow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Sairus wrote: »
    As a Rose player this new ultra option is brilliant. Satellite does virtually no damage anyway and Scarf is so awkward it's rarely used aside from the occasional Blanka. Having both available at any given time, even with a damage decrease is awesome.

Also look at characters like Gief who are going to be utterly terrifying with 2 ultras.

Ye I was thinking exactly that for Rose. Don't forget that her fireball will have less recovery so if she still has the ability to do U1 with a fireball on screen........

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

I think it all sounds great. We're playing the same game over 4 years. About time they made some real changes

Only character I'm worried about is Makoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

^ How do you reckon? I only know what I've seen of her, but she has solid armour breaks, a command grab, and with both Ultras, she has access to both command grab into Ultra 1, and a corner escape. I figured she'd actually do alright out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

^ How do you reckon? I only know what I've seen of her, but she has solid armour breaks, a command grab, and with both Ultras, she has access to both command grab into Ultra 1, and a corner escape. I figured she'd actually do alright out of it?
    Shes a top character now and Capcom said Makoto would only be getting buffs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

The Hound wrote: »
    I think it all sounds great. We're playing the same game over 4 years. About time they made some realy changes

Yeah I guess it will bring in some spice alright. I was just really looking forward to ae without the cammys and other S tiers and a top tier gouken. But what ya gunna do?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Shes a top character now and Capcom said Makoto would only be getting buffs

Oh, that sort of worried. My bad.

• Advertisement

I think it all sounds great. We're playing the same game over 4 years. About time they made some realy changes

grab > u1
    anti fb u2

all in 1 match... **** THAT?!?!

I'll be streaming tonight at around 10.

Will be playing ranked with Yang/Cody and discussing the new changes.

If you wanna tune in - www.twitch.tv/ladnopoka

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't know how I feel about never being able to a jump-in mixup on waking-up Cammy/Fei ever again...

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Don't know how I feel about never being able to a jump-in mixup on waking-up Cammy/Fei ever again...

Empty jump is a mix-up, right?

As a Honda player... well, both his ultras are terrible. Talk about Cody if you want but it's still one anti-fireball and one easily combo-able. Both of Honda's are pretty much useless. Red focus kills his jab-hands pressure, making everything unsafe as his normals are also slow and you need to get really close to do his close normals (like 2 hitting cl. mp, for example, against normal focus attacks). Anyone who can punish light headbutt (only viable red focus breaker) just became a nightmare, anyone who can punish mp or hp headbutt is still really bad, fireballs are still an issue.

Honda just wasn't built with these mechanics in mind and it's going to make him pretty much unplayable, I think. Better get my Gen up to speed.

Just realised that it will be possible to red focus hondas jab hands

Stev0, you're going down.

I think people are forgetting red focus is going to be a drain on meter that isn't really accounted for already.

Using red focus means less ex bingos for example... It'll probably be a once a fight type of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Using red focus means less ex bingos.

ya hear that ladno :pac:?

Ramza wrote: »
    ya hear that ladno :pac:?

ye, I agree with doom that it will probably gonna be once a match kind of thing... good for cody because he doesnt use his meter apart from bingos anyway... and will get loads of damage off a successful red focus.

yo im getting kinda hype here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

It's nice to see some new mechanics being introduced. Im pretty sure red focus will be toned down a little before release.

Having both ultras will be interesting. Though it may make some characters op,we can only hope it will be properly balanced.

• Advertisement

why cant they make 2 supers?

Advertisement