Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was your biggest bonehead mistake as a noob?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kyri

With 83 mounts i can tell ya its worth it if like me you want to go for that achieve in the long run but not if you dont.

The repair mount is very handy for raiding if you want to save engineers their bots and save stupid down times with people saying summon me back plx i have to go repair.

I'd like to have the same kind of cash stored for when the expansion hits however more so i can level up each my characters professions fast to have a nice niche and make some stupid cash before people realise that the gear and things im making can be replaced easily in groups raids etc lol.

My main goal atm is to level my alts up to 80 fast and have them geared well and ready for the expansion with their epic flyers. Wonder how much cash we will make from questing in the new expansion though. Leveling my druid this week and I've made over 4k on her just from selling the quest rewards, greys and the quest cash itself.

Back on topic though noobish thing Ive ever done was to return my collectors edition of WoW cos it had a dirty Orc on it and got the regular edition cos it had the sexy Nelf that I wanted to be when i started to play lol. Yes I know im a tit but I hadnt realised there was 2 different kinds or that there was even a collectors edition back when it was released. Very noobish of me esp when i was the games buyer for HMV at the time lol.

In game though back in the day noobish game thing ive ever done was well i think to be so gullable. Used to talk to everyone and get to know randomers and didnt mind telling them that i was really a girl - In the long run shouldnt have cos in the end I had a redic long ignore list of dirty feckers that id whisper the most charming things when they claimed to be wasted lol. Was fun though when was my BF on my account and he'd rip them a new ar*"hole lol. Was my first MMO though so I guess i had to learn the hard way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I rolled a warrior :(

+1

Got to 45 and was so bored. Rolled a druid and had a total blast from the start and once you get cat form zomg :D

WotLK gave me a Death Knight which was even more fun than my Druid :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

am i just blind or is there no boat between theramore isle and menethil harbor anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

It was running the last time I checked!

Latest Bonehead mistake. I though if you rolled a DK, you lost the L55+ character you had already...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I think one of be noobiest things I done back in vanilla wow was... wait for it... CLICKING... It was my first mmorpg and I was not aware of what key bindings or macros were... So there I am beating mobs using my mouse to click on my moves. :)

My girlfriend played like that up until a few months ago, she still clicks too but is starting to use key bindings a little more. It's funny because she still tops the healing meters :)

Why are women normally healers warlocks or paladins? I have only ever seen one woman warrior, never seen a hunter, rogue, shaman, mage or deathknight... Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,890 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ive been using 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 3 3 2 2 2 Right Click since day one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

got trade scammed. it was 2.30am so feck off! :) wasn't a big loss, just a bit "doh!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

i usea combo of clicking and button mashing. its easier that way like what the hell else are you gonna be doing with your cursor? Just leaving it over there? why when you can make use of it to click the random interupt skill or do a dance while bashing enemies. its great.

as for macro's im still oblivious to these....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

like what the hell else are you gonna be doing with your cursor? Just leaving it over there?

People use their mouse to move and hotkey their abilities to buttons.

Psycopat wrote: »
    People use their mouse to move and hotkey their abilities to buttons.

I know that! That was a pretty pointless reply... As it wasnt about using your mouse to move it was about using it in fights. The fact that why wouldnt you use the cursor AND the hotkeys. Makes more sense to acces more abilities and options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Magaa

this is so sad...

i just turned 80 i got titansteel destroyer the skill with maces was 95/450 i reset my talent points and forgot to set them..

the group laughed at me so much >.<

i was using wrong spells i just rolled to arms on the warrior aswel :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why are women normally healers warlocks or paladins? I have only ever seen one woman warrior, never seen a hunter, rogue, shaman, mage or deathknight... Why?

I love my frost mage! and my moocow tank...
    but I admit my healer priest was my main <3

p.s. is the answer "so they can be pretty BEs" ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

I know that! That was a pretty pointless reply... As it wasnt about using your mouse to move it was about using it in fights. The fact that why wouldnt you use the cursor AND the hotkeys. Makes more sense to acces more abilities and options.

People use their mouse to move in fights too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kakistos153

Linda's a feral druid, and her ex main was a mage
    Schism wrote: »
    You're very confrontational.

yes, yes he is.

biggest noob mistake? i dont know how i managed it but for like the first 30 lvl's or something i constantly died, with a warlock. there always seemed to be too many mobs, i was terrible at controlling what i pulled cos i didn't know what actually made the mobs come XD took a total of 32 days/played to get my warlock to 70 considdering i have an 80 paladin in 2xt8.5 as an alt with 15 days played... yeah. i lvl'd a paladin faster than i lvl'd a warlock XD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Because female gamers tend to be pretty bad and they don't get noticed as much when healing, my old guild had 2 females 1 rogue with warglaives she was pretty bad always dying and poor damage the orther was a warlock poor survability but awsome dps output.

My current guild which is pretty hardcore also has 2 female holy/disc priests but they are excellent players and can survive any challange, just a pity good female gamers are few and far between.

As for noob mistake i only found out recently that right clicking when trading puts the item over to the orther person, i have been drag and dropping for 4 years or so and someone only told me last week when he got pissed for waiting so long for me to drag it over :D

KilOit wrote: »
    Because female gamers tend to be pretty bad and they don't get noticed as much when healing

bull****. an officer in my guild is a girl. she's one of the best players i know. mainspec heal priest but also pulls out 5k+dps when we have too many healers and not enough dps. she was the one we selected to get the first val'anyr.

in tbc i played with a girl that played a mage. top dps most fights cept for lock and rogue friendly fights.

in tbc also we had a tanking feral that was one of the best tanks we ever had. she'd get on your tits with her emotions and stuff. but when it came to playing and encounters she knew her stuff.

my alts alliance guild i've reviewed their raids parses and stuff. top dps is almost always their female lock.

its just a fact that most PEOPLE seem to be bad at wow its just there is a greater concentration of men playing it cos its not socially an accepted fact that girls play games at all. and by the numbers its still like 1:5 people that have the kind of brain that does well in wow.

1:5 of the 5 million males that play wow is just a bigger number than the 1:5 of the 1 million girls that play wow.

I wouldn't say it's bull**** i know their are good female gamers out there,
    sure i said 2 were in my current guild and were close to a anub heroic kill 9% so they'd want to know there ****.

I just think the vast majority of female gamers in wow aren't really game mad they were either introduced to it by there boyfriends or mates they hang out with or see it as a Sims online were you get to dress your char with different armour and have lots of cute pets (opens can of worms)

if you split all wow gamers by gender their would be a bigger percentage of males that are better at the game than females, no facts ofc this is just my opinion and alot of other gamers that i have talked to with this issue, sure even some good female gamers would tell you the same thing.

I wouldn't say it's bull**** i know their are good female gamers out there,
    sure i said 2 were in my current guild and were close to a anub heroic kill 9% so they'd want to know there ****.

I just think the vast majority of female gamers in wow aren't really game mad they were either introduced to it by there boyfriends or mates they hang out with or see it as a Sims online were you get to dress your char with different armour and have lots of cute pets (opens can of worms)

if you split all wow gamers by gender their would be a bigger percentage of males that are better at the game than females, no facts ofc this is just my opinion and alot of other gamers that i have talked to with this issue, sure even some good female gamers would tell you the same thing.

i guess we just disagree then. its just been my experience that that % would be exactly the same. i'm not some sensitive male type of person that goes on about womens rights either. just sayin that i seen a hell of a lot of bad players. and women dont fall into the category of BAD by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

playing on Azjol nerub!

I levelled a Priest to 55 in fully Holy Spec. 1st character and knew nothing about Shadowspec or anything... was awful experience, death,death,death,death

• Advertisement

bull****. an officer in my guild is a girl. she's one of the best players i know. mainspec heal priest but also pulls out 5k+dps when we have too many healers and not enough dps. she was the one we selected to get the first val'anyr.

in tbc i played with a girl that played a mage. top dps most fights cept for lock and rogue friendly fights.

in tbc also we had a tanking feral that was one of the best tanks we ever had. she'd get on your tits with her emotions and stuff. but when it came to playing and encounters she knew her stuff.

my alts alliance guild i've reviewed their raids parses and stuff. top dps is almost always their female lock.

its just a fact that most PEOPLE seem to be bad at wow its just there is a greater concentration of men playing it cos its not socially an accepted fact that girls play games at all. and by the numbers its still like 1:5 people that have the kind of brain that does well in wow.

1:5 of the 5 million males that play wow is just a bigger number than the 1:5 of the 1 million girls that play wow.

Nita and dranow are imba at what they do, but they die all the time. You wouldn't believe how many times I have to tell dranow "move from the massive fire engulfing your whole screen" etc etc.

Nita is squishy, like mashed potatoes. Two of them have the highest deaths in any raid I have ever been in. Multi tasking? LOL... useless more like...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I've seen women play every class in the game. Do you come across as the kind of person who would become a stalker if you found out they were female? If so, you might have met more, and they just didn't tell you. Otherwise, you might just play with kids a lot. Don't know many little girls who play this. There might be, but I haven't met many.
    Because female gamers tend to be pretty bad

And you're basing this on 4 women you've met in game? Or are you going to run this by us with the obscure blog graphs which show women:men ability.
    my old guild had 2 females 1 rogue with warglaives she was pretty bad always dying and poor damage the orther was a warlock poor survability but awsome dps output.

My current guild which is pretty hardcore also has 2 female holy/disc priests but they are excellent players and can survive any challange, just a pity good female gamers are few and far between.

You stated 2 bad vs 2 good and say good female players are few and far between. Seems pretty even by your count alone.

By my count, the majority of women i've met who play this game are better than their male counterparts in the same class or position. Now that may only be about 30 or so that i've played with (others I know of but haven't played with them to rate them), but i'm still going to believe that the only reason people state men are better than women at this game is sexual bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I play with a guy that leveled a warrior to lvl 70 pre lich king and never even knew about talents?

I myself even now always make silly mistakes even now. I didnt even know i was a dk dps until a few months ago when i was doing a herioc and the RL told me i was. Needless to say ive changed my play stlye since, i dont just bang buttons anymore :D.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;62531642']I've seen women play every class in the game.

I haven't.
    Do you come across as the kind of person who would become a stalker if you found out they were female?

You mean my constant asking of ASL to anyone I meet? I don't that's scary :P I know plenty of women that play wow, most seem to be priests followed by warlocks. I met one girl who had a shaman as main, she was dps, she also had a paladin that was a tank, I just find this to be very rare, on my server anyway.

I think it is female mentality, a lot chose a healing class. I am not sure why that is, I guess a warrior or DK is more butch and brutal, the way you play the game is completely differant, you know?
    If so, you might have met more, and they just didn't tell you. Otherwise, you might just play with kids a lot. Don't know many little girls who play this. There might be, but I haven't met many.

I only know one girl who is 17, the rest are 20 plus, some are in their thirties. Most of the guilds I have been in promote themselves to be an 18 plus mature guild. While kids do get in, we can still spot the, "hi I am james, I am 24 and I like to play with lego and my mommy lets me stay up until 23:00 server time if I do all my homework" :P

We had some younger people in the guild, about 15 or 16 but they tend to be quite mature. Some of the older males act like kids :P

We know this because we have picture forums, and use vent, our guild is a pretty close community of older people. I have been in guilds with 50 year old men, it's odd to see someone this old playing, but I also think it's great :)

And you're basing this on 4 women you've met in game? Or are you going to run this by us with the obscure blog graphs which show women:men ability.

Some of the best DPS and healers I have met in game are women, the problem is the women that play tend to be bad at certain things, like surviving. They make pretty simple mistakes continuously. On average, men are a lot better at computer games than women. This doesn't mean that there's not some unbelievable female players.

By my count, the majority of women i've met who play this game are better than their male counterparts in the same class or position. Now that may only be about 30 or so that i've played with (others I know of but haven't played with them to rate them), but i'm still going to believe that the only reason people state men are better than women at this game is sexual bias.

It's pretty easy to make that claim, but I think it is wrong.

For instance, Nita, warlock, in our guild is our best DPS, but she sucks at keeping her aggro down and surviving in general.

Dranow, resto druid is our second best healer from what I have seen recently, but she always dies in fires or voids. She doesn't always know the best place to stand, or why, even after many encounters. She is also my first choice healer to take to any instance or raid.

Caladrial, warlock, boss gets pulled, she turns out 5K dps back in naxx days and splat, she's dead.

Camindra, imba lock in tbc, but same thing, always died, always over aggroed... but still pulled out amazing DPS.

Lauri, great priest, healer also. I haven't seen her raid in a few months so can't say.

Bloony, holy priest, best healer in my last guild, when she was alive... we took bets on how long she would last on boss encounters before she died from a very easily avoidable spell :)

Garnett resto shaman, another good healer, but she had serious problems surviving.

Rocknrolla, resto priest, great healer, survived quite well but didn't know alot outside her own class.

Poogie, priest, never raided with her but she knows her stuff. :)

Out of all the women I know (that I can think of at the moment) they tend to be healers or warlocks... I could never get my head around it.
    I play with a guy that leveled a warrior to lvl 70 pre lich king and never even knew about talents?

This is brilliant, how did he do it? I say he found it very very hard :P
    I myself even now always make silly mistakes even now. I didnt even know i was a dk dps until a few months ago when i was doing a herioc and the RL told me i was. Needless to say ive changed my play stlye since, i dont just bang buttons anymore :D.

Hehe... for some the game is fun and specs don't matter too much, unfortunately for most this game is serious business. You will be scrutinised by most for simple mistakes.

' wrote:
    [cEMAN**;62531642']
    You stated 2 bad vs 2 good and say good female players are few and far between. Seems pretty even by your count alone.

Well two very different guilds one was top 10000 the orther top 200.
    I'm basing on it more on my entire playtime on wow i just gave them as example to show yes females can be good but for every good one their's ten bad one's

It may be a shock to you but no need to beat arround the bush, women aren't as good at video games than males are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Where's your proof of this? Without proof that's just sexist. It's also a pretty huge assumption.

Pit a guys who are completely uninterested in video games vs girls who are completely uninterested in video games to see.

Just because the majority of games don't appeal to all women (i'd probably guess things like sports games), you can't just label them inferior. You have to have a level playing field before you can accurately assess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

My mistake was speccing wrong, at one stager I could barely take on mobs my own level.

With my last lvl 40 Dwarf priest I could own people 2 levels higher than me in pvp consistently though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

Auction house, took me 30 lvls my first time to figure it out. Stupid vendors

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Corinthian

In my first instance run (Scarlet Monastery), trying to polymorph all the mobs in every pull.

(Until someone whispered "you do know you can only sheep one mob at a time"...)

Pfft, one mob at a time... who knew :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭whatduck

About 4 years ago when I rolled my first character, a rogue. I thought that my gear going yellow and red on the armour doll was my exp bar going up and I was going to ding soon. In fact for a few levels I thought WoW had no death penalty's.

Advertisement