Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black taxi drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

another bad experience...
    Last night my sister was in town on harcourt street, they were getting a taxi to donnybrook to a house party after club ended.

My sister wasn't drunk or anything.

She told taxi driver the address, and told him she knew the way if he came through donnybrook/N11 area...

Bare in mind she was in Harcourt street, so this would of been the best and fastest route anyway.

So the taxi driver decided to go via Sandyford? Cant understand this route myself!
    But then the girls said they didn't know how to get there from Sandyford and why didn't he go through Liason street etc like they had asked.

They asked him to just bring them to donnybrook and they will walk. He started shouting at them saying why didn't they know the way. Like up in her face screaming(my sis was in the front seat)

Then started saying he was kicking them out and they had to pay. They said no he again started screaming at them.
    He pulled over and continued to abuse them calling them stupid etc reducing my sis to tears she was scared he would hit her.

They got out and walked off, he tried to follow them shouting at them...

Thats just wrong imo...
    If you agree a fare somewhere you should know how to get there.
    If you don't and they say they know a particular route, you should take the route.
    If you **** up you shouldn't get aggressive and start shouting and try to kick them out demanding a fare.

My sis forgot to get his reg in all this... lucky for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Now that you've said it, I hope you feel proud of yourself. What a fulfilling life you must lead.

I slept very well after posting that :)
    Azureus wrote: »

Ive been called racist for this, Im not at all, I just dont think I should be forced to either walk/sit in a taxi where i feel uncomfortable. After all, Im paying for a service, should I not be allowed choose my driver?

You are though, discriminating against foreign taxi drivers because they are foreign is racist. Now this doesn't make you a bad person, I think in your case the racism is totally justified as you've had several bad experiences with foreign taxi drivers. A lot of people seem to have this primary school idea of racism, that all racism is very bad and if you discriminate then you are automatically a bad person, whereas a lot of racism is quite understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I would refuse to get in to one of them Blaxis,dont encourage them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hootanany wrote: »
    I would refuse to get in to one of them Blaxis,dont encourage them

/Please don't take the bait, please don't take the bait, pleas... FECK IT..

Why not?.

And what is a "blaxis"?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

Personally wont get in taxi with them,I only give my fair to Irish :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

My God, all the ignorant folk in this thread.

.. and we wonder why the country is fúcked! (every damn day in another moany thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

MizzLolly wrote: »
    My God, all the ignorant folk in this thread.

.. and we wonder why the country is fúcked! (every damn day in another moany thread)

It proves that ignorance isn't bliss after all.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

muboop1 wrote: »

She told taxi driver the address, and told him she knew the way if he came through donnybrook/N11 area...

Bare in mind she was in Harcourt street, so this would of been the best and fastest route anyway.

So the taxi driver decided to go via Sandyford? Cant understand this route myself!
    But then the girls said they didn't know how to get there from Sandyford and why didn't he go through Liason street etc like they had asked.

Do you mean Sandymount? How would Sandyford get involved in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

/Please don't take the bait, please don't take the bait, pleas... FECK IT..

Why not?.

And what is a "blaxis"?.

Give the money to our own but then again i dont get Taxis they are all robbin vermin, how dare they not pick me up on the street because i had a wooley hat on in the winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Piste wrote: »
    What the hell is a lack?!

Lack is Waterford slang for girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

caseyann wrote: »
    Personally wont get in taxi with them,I only give my fair to Irish :)

What if he's a black Irishman? What do you do then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

dlofnep wrote: »
    In certain world views, there can be no such thing. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Azureus wrote: »
    If there is a queue of foreign drivers, with one Irsh guy way down the line, I will bypass the ones on front and go to the Irish driver. Ive been called racist for this, Im not at all, I just dont think I should be forced to either walk/sit in a taxi where i feel uncomfortable.

Skipping the black guys in front of the queue and going for the first driver of a white race, how is this not racist? Judging all black taxi drivers by a bad experience with a couple of them, how is this not racist?

dlofnep wrote: »

Black Irish man :confused::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It proves that ignorance isn't bliss after all.:o

It proves nothing...

Things are not always that black & white.

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ladyinwaiting

Spore wrote: »
    How comfortable are you with a black Irish industry?

Tonight I passed by Barcode Nightclub in Clontarf and I couldn’t help but notice that the entire taxi line was composed of black taxi drivers. I’ve also noticed that the entire College Green taxi rank is now black. I was just wondering what the greater Irish public felt about this niche of Africanised industry? It’s obviously pushed many an Irish taxi driver to state his Irish provenance by placing some sort of Irish sign in their taxi plate.

Basically I just wondered how ready are we to accept an obviously un-Irish niche of industry in this country. It’s not uncommon for foreign workers to ‘colonise’ an industry e.g. Vietnamese dry cleaners in America, Chinese restaurants in Parnell St, Irish navvies in England etc. etc.

Thoughts?
    WOAH!!!!
    Maybe I will educate you just a teeny tiny bit. Any one of those black men in those taxis could be from other places other than AFRICA! What a huge generalisation you just made! And in reference to Parnell Street being 'colonised'...that's a laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 ladyinwaiting

Nevore wrote: »
    In certain world views, there can be no such thing. :(

WOW, what a racist scumbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 tippdar

ok lads, like my username suggests im not from dublin, but have been living and working here for the last seven years.

anyway, all my experiences with foreign and irish taxi men have been good. but just to explain that my recent experiences with 2 foreign lads have been good

the first when i was getting a cab from coppers, i asked teh the drive, i think he was asian , i asked him how much the fare was and i told him i'd need to get some money out on the way, he said fine no probs and brought me to the nearest atm , got home grand

the second was this week , the foreingn lad, the black driver made a mistake and realised straight away that he was bringing the longer route, i said to him no probs and that these things can happen. anyway we arrived at my house, the fare would normally be 8, it said 10 euro on his meter but he said he'd charge me only 8 because he made a mistake, i thanked him and said he was great etc, fair play to him

my question for those who don't like black taxi lads, is taht what happens when i come out of coppers the next time, i get to the rank and see a que of taxis, all black lads , and there is an irish lad at the back. am i to go to him at the end, .... i dont' think so

anyway thats my tuppence worth on this subject :D

tippdar wrote: »
    ok lads, like my username suggests im not from dublin, but have been living and working here for the last seven years.

anyway, all my experiences with foreign and irish taxi men have been good. but just to explain that my recent experiences with 2 foreign lads have been good

the first when i was getting a cab from coppers, i asked teh the drive, i think he was asian , i asked him how much the fare was and i told him i'd need to get some money out on the way, he said fine no probs and brought me to the nearest atm , got home grand

the second was this week , the foreingn lad, the black driver made a mistake and realised straight away that he was bringing the longer route, i said to him no probs and that these things can happen. anyway we arrived at my house, the fare would normally be 8, it said 10 euro on his meter but he said he'd charge me only 8 because he made a mistake, i thanked him and said he was great etc, fair play to him

my question for those who don't like black taxi lads, is taht what happens when i come out of coppers the next time, i get to the rank and see a que of taxis, all black lads , and there is an irish lad at the back. am i to go to him at the end, .... i dont' think so

anyway thats my tuppence worth on this subject :D

I have to be honest i would wait or walk and flag down one of our own.
    I have actually done that and i am not ashamed to say so.Why should i get in a taxi with someone i don't feel comfortable with and things have happened to people i know and to myself when i did so never again.

• Advertisement

one of our own.

And herein lies the problem, this "us" and "them". IMO, if someone is living here and working here legally, just like me, they are one of our own.

eightyfish wrote: »
    And herein lies the problem, this "us" and "them". IMO, if someone is living here and working here legally, just like me, they are one of our own.

Sorry i disagree for me they are not. The same as if we were in their countries and working and living they would never see you as one of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭procure11

I have to be honest i would wait or walk and flag down one of our own.
    I have actually done that and i am not ashamed to say so.Why should i get in a taxi with someone i don't feel comfortable with and things have happened to people i know and to myself when i did so never again.

Ok let me get you clearly...You would not go in a cab with a black driver because you are not comfortable with them.
    Do you adopt the same approach to :

> Black occupants in a Bus- you generally aviod sitting next to them

>Black bus drivers

>Black People at the tills in a supermarket etc etc.

You have every right to dislike a particular kind of people or stick with as you put it" one of our own"...that is your prerogative.It just sounds a bit convoluted to purposefully and consistently aviod black drivers /people.Fairplay to you tho!

>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Whoosh. :rolleyes:

In fairness to Caseyann, she probably skips past dodgy looking white fellas in taxis too. We have a whole set of visual and body language cues we use to decide whether someone is "ok" to be around, but when it comes to foreigners of all stripes, those signals go a little haywire.

Sorry i disagree for me they are not. The same as if we were in their countries and working and living they would never see you as one of their own.

Who are they that you are referring to ?

All foreigners or a particular set of them.As far as I know the Irish working in other parts of the world are given the rights they are entitled to ,I am pretty sure you are fully aware of this indisputable fact.

Or perharps I misunderstood you!

Also, I know loads of people who've been ripped off by white taxi drivers over the years. Plenty of tourists who've been taken on the sightseeing tour from the airport, plenty of people who got taken advantage of because they didn't know where they were going. Some single girls have been attacked by white taxi drivers.

Therefore, I feel uncomfortable in a car with a white driver, I feel justified in refusing to take the white cab. I either take a black cab or the bus. But they're mostly driven by whites too.

One of my Irish friends is married to a man who happens to be black. They've been happily married for four years. They have two Irish children. Yet you immediately judge him as not one of our own because of the colour of his skin. I find that attitude disgusting.

Nevore wrote: »
    Whoosh. :rolleyes:

In fairness to Caseyann, she probably skips past dodgy looking white fellas in taxis too. We have a whole set of visual and body language cues we use to decide whether someone is "ok" to be around, but when it comes to foreigners of all stripes, those signals go a little haywire.

But he/she just said she would skip all black drivers! Are you seriously alluding that all of them would fail her signalling index?:rolleyes:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

One of my Irish friends is married to a man who happens to be black. They've been happily married for four years. They have two Irish children. Yet you immediately judge him as not one of our own because of the colour of his skin. I find that attitude disgusting.

I also find it disgusting. Judging by some of her other posts on boards the woman should be ashamed of herself. I'm actually so angry at the idea that any of my black friends could be judged like this. It's totally uncalled for.

• Advertisement

Only four :rolleyes:just joking :D
    NO i simply judge not one of our own because he is not Irish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement