Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black taxi drivers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

as a taxi driver while not working, i notice alot of black taxi drivers crawling along hoping to get someone into there car, and turning in the street to drive past people. Sad tbh.

Blame the lack of legislation in this country, not his race! It is far too easy to become a taxi driver in Ireland. Blame the government for that, not 'de fardiners'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Ahhh... good auld racist Ireland raises her ugly head again.

Still can't move on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

I'm a taxi driver myself (Irish) and it's insane the amount of people that skip "black" drivers on the rank and when hailing them down.
    I do feel awful when I see it happen but I suppose Irish people are like that.
    Maybe it's to do with different nationality being successfull

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

I couldn't give ****e who they are, but having said that I am from Galway and would always know where I'm going.

If I had to take a taxi in Dublin I would have to make sure the driver knew exactly where it was he was bringing me to first, because I probably wouldn't have a notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Rabies wrote: »
    Ahhh... good auld racist Ireland raises her ugly head again.

Still can't move on

Haters gonna hate.

Love is the only way forward.

Peace!

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Maybe it's to do with different nationality being successfull

Think you may be on to something here.

The success of the black taxi driver in Ireland is unparalleled. :)

Who says Irish people know were there going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

neuromancer is basically summing up perfectly why I'd rather get into taxi with a black driver instead of a white Irish one.

Who says Irish people know were there going

*wear
    *Deyre

Take note!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

A few months ago meself and the lack where in town with a friend. We decided to get a taxi back to the friends house for some more beer.
    Got into a taxi and the driver was a non national. Nice chap. Anyways we start heading towards me ones house and she decides to shout at the driver, telling him that he was taking the long way around and going on about "how all ye blacks are the same".
    I turned around and wanted to punch her in the face for being a bitch. We where in fact going the right way and he brought us the exact same way I use when driving myself. Go along a few side streets, miss all the traffic and no traffic lights etc.
    She wouldnt accept that and thought I was only being nice because I was drunk. The taxi chap allowed me to give his satnav back to the cheeky
    bitch in the back of the car, to prove
    the man was actually going the
    cheap and quickest
    way. I made her apologise to the poor chap and all. Then when we got to the house meself and the lack stayed in the taxi talking to the nice chap till he got his next call. He was delighted with the chat and told us a few stories of why he came here etc etc.
    Splendid service I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

This is crap I thought this was going to be about the London style black taxi cabs. I love them 5 in the back and you face each other so you can chat away as you’re taken wherever.

Imagine you where a black man who was born and grew up here and some drunken dope wouldn’t get into your cab because you where black but decided to wait for the white guy in the cab behind you who was from Eastern Europe.

What are you talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

neuromancer is basically summing up perfectly why I'd rather get into taxi with a black driver instead of a white Irish one.

There's nothing worse than having to endure some racist gobshyte of a taxi driver go on about 'dem fcukers from over there' for half an hour and then pay the pr1ck for the privilege.

There have only been two taxi drivers who left me thinking 'he was a sound bloke' in the last year, and neither was Irish

Doc wrote: »

Imagine you where a black man who was born and grew up here and some drunken dope wouldn’t get into your cab because you where black but decided to wait for the white guy in the cab behind you who was from Eastern Europe.

Exactly. Some Irish people are just idiots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

carlop wrote: »
    There's nothing worse than having to endure some racist gobshyte of a taxi driver go on about 'dem fcukers from over there' for half an hour and then pay the pr1ck for the privilege.

Sorry but that's your fault. Nobody forces anyone to endure a taxi driver. If you talk (why talk to them unless it's directions :confused:) then to tell them to drive and you're in no mood for talking.
    Same goes for the radio, I get them to turn it down/off most times. The taxi should have a card and it mentions a "quiet and peaceful journey" or words to that affect. So speak up

As for the reason they are skipped.
    Irish drivers pass a garda vetting test but I'm sure there a few criminals driving taxis also, no system is perfect.
    If an applicant presents themself from Africa how exactly are the gardai going to do a background check?
    It's a new country and a new life and if they were a convicted criminal they certainly won't be telling the authorities here.

Same vetting process for Irish people if we did the same in there country. Every taxi driver does not know everywere just like ppl in other jobs get help from colleagues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Every taxi driver does not know everywre just like ppl in other jobs get help from colleagues
    Thats it exactly. Apart from me. I know everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is it true they get a grant to get a car?
    No, they don't get a free car

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Jet Black

mikemac wrote: »
    Sorry but that's your fault. Nobody forces anyone to endure a taxi driver. If you talk (why talk to them unless it's directions :confused:) then to tell them to drive and you're in no mood for talking.
    Same goes for the radio, I get them to turn it down/off most times. The taxi should have a card and it mentions a "quiet and peaceful journey" or words to that affect. So speak up

As for the reason they are skipped.
    Irish drivers pass a garda vetting test but I'm sure there a few criminals driving taxis also, no system is perfect.
    If an applicant presents themself from Africa how exactly are the gardai going to do a background check?
    It's a new country and a new life and if they were a convicted criminal they certainly won't be telling the authorities here.

What they do in the airport before you get a pass is they require you to get this from your home country.
    A guy from china i worked with had to wait three month's for one. He had to contact his local police in china and had to pay himself for one. If you are required to be checked before you get your taxi licence they may have a similar system.

Re the black taxi..
    Once the taximan know's where he's going and wont try and rip me off i could not care what colour he is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

Somewhat off topic, but Ireland looks to be a dumping ground for asylum seekers, and they get treated better than Irish folk.

They get nothing you wouldn't be entitled to as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I like black taxi drivers, talk a lot less ****e than regular Irish taxi drivers who think they know the answer to every problem under the sun.

On a sidenote though, I'd say in the last 10 taxis I've gotten 2 max have been with black drivers. I get most of mine on the side of the street usually instead of ranks though which might be the reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

I just don't get in taxis that don't have a company name on the roof sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Never mind the blacks OP, what about them damn asians? Rice all over the cars and whatnot, it's an atrocimacy

Also on a serious note people telling taxi drivers to "Just find another job" don't seem to understand how the world works. Getting a job isn't easy ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

RMD wrote: »
    I like black taxi drivers, talk a lot less ****e than regular Irish taxi drivers who think they know the answer to every problem under the sun.

Actually I've noticed that as Foreign drivers have become more common, they've become less talkative. Rather unfortunately, I'd say the kind of attitudes often expressed around here are at the root of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

Never had a problem with any of the taxis I get in, and I normally just get in the first one that comes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Ban all taxis I say.

Let people walk home or cycle maybe we'll start shedding a few pounds then cause we all know we're turning into a nation of fat f*ckers.

I honestly can't believe people get so worked up about this. And there was me thinking that Ireland had progressed slightly but all it takes is a bit of a strain on the wallet before the racism comes floating back to the top of society's turgid stew.

Taxi drivers that whinge and moan about losing money can ask the back of me flaps for help so they can. We're all feeling the pinch you grumpy feckers - ye're not the only industry to be hit. I'm sick and tired of the lot of them and I'm even more sick and tired of you bigoted f*ckers trying to justify discriminating against people based on their skin colour with ludicrous claims about wanting drivers who don't use sat nav or who can't understand you or some sh*te. I've yet to meet one taxi driver who couldn't understand me enough to get me home.

Seriously feck off.

These threads are really starting to get on my t*ts. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ill probably be called racsist for this but whatever. I do alot of late night driving and I have noticed that foreign taxi drivers, particularly African drivers are highly agressive and dangerous on the roads. Its scary its like dodgems at times, while Irish taxis are notoriously bad for stopping wherever they like the African drivers make them look like learners.

Does that make me racist, I find it hard to tell nowadays.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement