Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black taxi drivers

Options
  • 21-09-2009 2:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

How comfortable are you with a black Irish industry?

Tonight I passed by Barcode Nightclub in Clontarf and I couldn’t help but notice that the entire taxi line was composed of black taxi drivers. I’ve also noticed that the entire College Green taxi rank is now black. I was just wondering what the greater Irish public felt about this niche of Africanised industry? It’s obviously pushed many an Irish taxi driver to state his Irish provenance by placing some sort of Irish sign in their taxi plate.

Basically I just wondered how ready are we to accept an obviously un-Irish niche of industry in this country. It’s not uncommon for foreign workers to ‘colonise’ an industry e.g. Vietnamese dry cleaners in America, Chinese restaurants in Parnell St, Irish navvies in England etc. etc.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I will use any taxi if I am going to a place where I know the way.

If I don't know the way I will generally use an Irish Guy because of one bad experience when a black taxi driver dropped me off in totally the wrong area.

I am not racist, but it makes sense to do this because Irish Taxi drivers are more likely to know the streets they have been living on for the last 20+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Being a taxi driver, all i here is other drivers giving out about black taxi drivers.

Honestly, to me, it looks like their profession of choice in this country. i wonder why?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I really don't think the colour of their car should enter into it. Some of my best friends drive silver Passats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Robbo wrote: »
    I really don't think the colour of their car should enter into it. Some of my best friends drive silver Passats...

Hint : Read the post :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

Spore wrote: »
    How comfortable are you with a black Irish industry?

Tonight I passed by Barcode Nightclub in Clontarf and I couldn’t help but notice that the entire taxi line was composed of black taxi drivers. I’ve also noticed that the entire College Green taxi rank is now black. I was just wondering what the greater Irish public felt about this niche of Africanised industry? It’s obviously pushed many an Irish taxi driver to state his Irish provenance by placing some sort of Irish sign in their taxi plate.

Basically I just wondered how ready are we to accept an obviously un-Irish niche of industry in this country. It’s not uncommon for foreign workers to ‘colonise’ an industry e.g. Vietnamese dry cleaners in America, Chinese restaurants in Parnell St, Irish navvies in England etc. etc.

Thoughts?

I was just there earlier...trying to get in for the last bit with my mates cos we were bored:pac: I also noticed this. Still a few Irish men though. I find the african lads are great crack, always in a good mood. most irish taxi drivers barely talk to ye sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

Being a taxi driver, all i here is other drivers giving out about black taxi drivers.

Honestly, to me, it looks like their profession of choice in this country. i wonder why?

Because taxi driving is a low-level skill and a virtually unregulated industry in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Are the white Africans ok though? Do they bother you at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I came in here to make a similar joke, damn you!

The first time someone mentioned the notion of a "black taxi" to me, I actually thought they were referring to the colour of the car.

My drunk friend was going mental, insisting it was dangerous to get into a "black taxi"

"Shut up, we'll get into a cab that's any colour! I want to go home!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

I believe in 1 people, 1 love!

I dont see colour, only integrety.

Peace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

I love black taxi drivers. They talk so much less than regular taxi drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Maqnus

they're all different

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's an industry noted for welcoming immigration and competition with open arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I will use any taxi if I am going to a place where I know the way.

If I don't know the way I will generally use an Irish Guy because of one bad experience when a black taxi driver dropped me off in totally the wrong area.

I am not racist, but it makes sense to do this because Irish Taxi drivers are more likely to know the streets they have been living on for the last 20+ years.

The majority of African born taxi drivers I've driven with had a GPS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

It's an industry noted for welcoming immigration and competition with open arms?
    1 armed people are unwelcome?

Is it true they get a grant to get a car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

Are the white Africans ok though? Do they bother you at all?

Never expressed 'botherment' of race, merely tried to provoke a debate about an 'un-Irish' industry taking hold in Ireland (and by 'un-Irish' I mean obviously not native born) hope this thread won't turn into a race issue...

You're the one who claims to be from the industry. Enlighten us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Spore wrote: »
    hope this thread won't turn into a race issue...
    Ah pooh. I just put me runners on and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

I was on the lash with a friend of mine and we ended drinking with some absolute headcases, I wanted to get away from them but she kept saying to stay in the pub. They invited us to a house party and she said "Yeah, let's go" so I murmured under my breath and went along with it. It was pissing rain and we hailed a taxi, it stops and we start to pile in. Then one of the headcases shouts "**** that black fella we'll get the next one". Had to get out and wait in the rain for the next one to come along as he explains how "Them blacks will rob ya blah blah blah..." Was a **** party too.
    Personally I don't care about the colour of my taxi driver as long as he knows where to go when I ask. Had to direct an Irish cab driver to the Blackpitts (Just off Clanbrasil St.) before, literally every turn because he couldn't find it on his ****ing SatNav!
    They should regulate the amount of licenses they give out though. The city is packed with taxis.
    F4Fake wrote: »
    I love black taxi drivers. They talk so much less than regular taxi drivers.

They don't talk to you, they just talk to some other guy on their bluetooth headsets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

To answer the question, I have no issue with getting into a "black taxi".

Whatever regulated cab arrives first, is the cab I'll get.

So long as the taxi driver is a licensed cab driver and knows how to get me home, I don't care what colour his/her skin is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

GaNjaHaN wrote: »
    The majority of African born taxi drivers I've driven with had a GPS.

Yeah I know, but when you are going out the back of beyonds they don't tend to work very well.

(I was going to Glanmire, I was drunk, so technically it might have been my fault.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I usually only get taxi's when i'm full drunk and at that stage i couldn't careless who the driver is. If s/he gets me home, thats their job successfully completed.

You're the one who claims to be from the industry. Enlighten us.

I wouldn't be asking the question if I knew the answer.

Somewhat off topic, but Ireland looks to be a dumping ground for asylum seekers, and they get treated better than Irish folk.

Some asylum seekers drive taxis too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Black taxi, white taxi...who cares? As long as it's not a 1988 Nissan Sunny with the seats falling out, I don't care.

EDIT: Yes, I am an automotive racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sh!te thread. I was expecting something about Black Taxis a la Belfast. :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Are you actually for real with that question or are you just trying to feed the trolls ?

There are no grants for the purchase of cars by anyone, be it commercial or personal.

The only thing I check when getting into a taxi nowadays is that they have the yellow sticker from the regulator on the window with their permit on it....it's all too easy to buy a roof sign and put it on the top of your car !

I wouldn't be asking the question if I knew the answer.
    You're quite obviously not a taxi driver then. I believe that one of the first parts of the PSV exam is how to ask a leading rhetorical question and follow it up with an ill-informed diatribe. Get out, you charlatan.

as a taxi driver while not working, i notice alot of black taxi drivers crawling along hoping to get someone into there car, and turning in the street to drive past people. Sad tbh.

• Advertisement

You're quite obviously not a taxi driver then. I believe that one of the first parts of the PSV exam is how to ask a leading rhetorical question and follow it up with an ill-informed diatribe. Get out, you charlatan.

Your basing your assumption on what proof that I am not a taxi driver.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement