Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black taxi drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DemocAnarchis

If i'm getting a taxi in Dundalk, i'll always get the first in the que, regardless what nationality the driver is. Have found that its usually foreign nationals who need to be reminded to start the meter. Doesn't bother me, i check with any driver that its on. Have had issues with non nationals driving hackneys without meters trying to overcharge by a stupid margin, so just gave them the usual fare and told them i wasn't paying a penny more. Thats the exception, not the rule, and i'm sure people have had bad experiences with irish taxi drivers too. I now tend to stick to a hackney company that knows me by first name, never any hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

If i'm getting a taxi in Dundalk, i'll always get the first in the que, regardless what nationality the driver is. Have found that its usually foreign nationals who need to be reminded to start the meter. Doesn't bother me, i check with any driver that its on. Have had issues with non nationals driving hackneys without meters trying to overcharge by a stupid margin, so just gave them the usual fare and told them i wasn't paying a penny more. Thats the exception, not the rule, and i'm sure people have had bad experiences with irish taxi drivers too. I now tend to stick to a hackney company that knows me by first name, never any hassle.

I have heard of stories of Dundalk taxi drivers threatening non-Irish drivers to 'get the Ra' after them if they don't move on. I have also been ripped off by both Irish and foreign drivers in Dundalk over the years, once by an Irish driver when I was about 12 years old. Another time I payed a black driver the standard fare when he asked for an extortionate amount with the meter off. Though if you're too drunk to remember the details either way, you cant blame anyone really (not directed at yourself obviously!).

But the main problem with Dundalk taxis in general is that off-the-meter fares are nearly more the norm than the exception, accross the board. No offence to them, but I wouldn't fully trust any Dundalk taxi driver based on my experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I for one am all in favour of having more smokin hot, nymphomaniac female taxi drivers. I'm sick of all these male drivers. They never want to have sex in the back seat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I have heard of stories of Dundalk taxi drivers threatening non-Irish drivers to 'get the Ra' after them if they don't move on. I have also been ripped off by both Irish and foreign drivers in Dundalk over the years, once by an Irish driver when I was about 12 years old. Another time I payed a black driver the standard fare when he asked for an extortionate amount with the meter off. Though if you're too drunk to remember the details either way, you cant blame anyone really (not directed at yourself obviously!).

But the main problem with Dundalk taxis in general is that off-the-meter fares are nearly more the norm than the exception, accross the board. No offence to them, but I wouldn't fully trust any Dundalk taxi driver based on my experiences.

I think I've found the problem. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I'm sick of all these male drivers. They never want to have sex in the back seat!

Maybe not with you. But I know how I pay my fare home most nights. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

blahblah06 wrote: »
    Who says Irish people know were there going

too true, i recently got a taxi back home to Clare Hall, Irish driver (from the southside, not long in the taxi game) didn't know where it was, so I said, it's out past coolock, he didn't know where Coolock was, So i said the malahide rd, and he said "Oh so out near the airport then"

Didn't have a notion about the Northside of the city in had lived in all his life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kalashnikov_Kid

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    too true, i recently got a taxi back home to Clare Hall, Irish driver (from the southside, not long in the taxi game) didn't know where it was, so I said, it's out past coolock, he didn't know where Coolock was, So i said the malahide rd, and he said "Oh so out near the airport then"

Didn't have a notion about the Northside of the city in had lived in all his life

OMG loike, what's the big deal? You are loike, SO going OTT, roysh.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

starflake wrote: »
    The Eastern Healthboard was replaced by the HSE a good few years back and they have nothing to do with Social welfare. So i think you're right in saying this stories made up

I think you're wrong there. Isn't it the HSE that provide up to 12 months mortgage repayment assistance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Oliver1985 wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong some of them are fine but you never know if its even the guy in the picture driving!!

LOL!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

mk2 wrote: »
    taxi drvers,yea,thank god i have a car.

Who the hell is this lad?^^^

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Over here in Aus its all Indian taxi drivers and its the same as Ireland they havent a clue where there going but at least there nice and polite.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭twinytwo

blahblah06 wrote: »
    I'm a taxi driver myself (Irish) and it's insane the amount of people that skip "black" drivers on the rank and when hailing them down.
    I do feel awful when I see it happen but I suppose Irish people are like that.
    Maybe it's to do with different nationality being successfull

so you would rather we gave them the money than an irish driver who has a mortage to pay etc... has nothing to do with the colour of their skin id still go to an irish driver

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Nigeria has one of the largest oil reserves in the world (amongst many other things), and if it wasn't for the abhorable corruption in the country most of those taxi drivers would be far wealthier than the average drunken Irish person they have to deal with in the early hours of the morning.

The West is greatly to blame for the raping of Africa's natural resources and the oppression of it's people.

They're just other human beings trying to make a living.

I'm a bit drunkie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I've never got a taxi and I hope I never will.

Black or white, they're fcking rip-off merchants of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

I have a problem with any person that charges me 4 quid something to park my arse in their car regardless of where they come from.

I have walked home from town many times rather than get a taxi.

Town to Clondalkin - how long does that take? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Twice as long as it would sober!

Makes it look way cooler when I stroll home at 7am too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

The title's just confusing me.

Here, 'black taxi' means a taxi that's black, nothing to do with the Driver (the majority of whom are Indian); but over there it means a taxi driven by a black person? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

I couldn't care less where a taxi driver is from. I've had foreign drivers who were far nicer then Irish ones. Bizzarely the Chinese ones are the only ones who know exact street names and will get you there shortest-route method, rather then Irish ones who go longest-fare route.

I do get a bit disconcerted with the black taxi drivers (I've never seen it with other nationalities) who are constantly talking another language on the phone... often clearly asking directions from someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

their mad funny when your pissed....got the radios pumping...feels like we are about to do a drive by in compton with my home slice

• Advertisement

brummytom wrote: »
    The title's just confusing me.

Here, 'black taxi' means a taxi that's black, nothing to do with the Driver (the majority of whom are Indian); but over there it means a taxi driven by a black person? :confused:

We haven't had an influx of those damn black cars YET!! We'll have to pay for their petrol and insurance no doubt! :rolleyes:

Taxis here are standard cars with taxi plates, nothing like black/yellow cabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

We haven't had an influx of those damn black cars YET!! We'll have to pay for their petrol and insurance no doubt! :rolleyes:

Taxis here are standard cars with taxi plates, nothing like black/yellow cabs.

Oh right, okay. Just wondered. Over here black taxi's the colour of the car (http://heidthebaw.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/taxi.jpg) - these are probably the most common types of taxi, and the most trustworthy/reputable normally. People are more wary of 'normal' cars.

Anyway, I digress.
    I really don't feel the nationality of the driver should be an issue at all so long as he gets you from A to B

marko91 wrote: »
    their mad funny when your pissed....got the radios pumping...feels like we are about to do a drive by in compton with my home slice

Got taxis in Drogheda a fair bit due to where I was living. A lot of the African brothers had some Bob Marley on the box if requested. Beats listening to some Charlo telling you how the business is gone to the dogs....................

brummytom wrote: »
    Oh right, okay. Just wondered. Over here black taxi's the colour of the car (http://heidthebaw.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/taxi.jpg) - these are probably the most common types of taxi, and the most trustworthy/reputable normally. People are more wary of 'normal' cars.

Anyway, I digress.
    I really don't feel the nationality of the driver should be an issue at all so long as he gets you from A to B

Judging by your reply, I'm not sure you got my awful attempt at humour. :o

Exactly. We've got one earth one Earth on which to live. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I wouldn't be asking the question if I knew the answer.

Somewhat off topic, but Ireland looks to be a dumping ground for asylum seekers, and they get treated better than Irish folk.

Some asylum seekers drive taxis too.

I totally agree, your post is completely off-topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Anything is better than a Dublin taxi driver.. I have often thought that Dublin taxi drivers take up that profession as a cheap option to therapy - instead of venting their moans, gripes & whinges on a (costly) therapist, they actually get paid for venting their spleens to the poor, unwitting customer.

Black, white, yellow... as long as they're not from Dublin, I'm happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

seanybiker wrote: »
    A few months ago meself and the lack

What the hell is a lack?!
    Louise~ wrote: »
    Yeah I just came to say Blaxi, it's really all I have to add as I'm not a racist, only like the word play... :pac:

Snap. I only clicked on this thread cos I wanted to say blaxi. Blaxi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Piste wrote: »
    What the hell is a lack?!

Snap. I only clicked on this thread cos I wanted to say blaxi. Blaxi.

Now that you've said it, I hope you feel proud of yourself. What a fulfilling life you must lead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Town to Clondalkin - how long does that take? :eek:

About four hours from my town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Azureus

Kinda goes against my natural inclination to be accepting of everyone yada yada, but I have to say Ive had one too many uncomfortable experiences of foreign taxi drivers
    1:leaving me in the wrong place,
    2:charging me 45euro form town to swords then getting quite aggresive/calling the cops when i refused to pay.. needless to say called the regulation comittee peoples and didnt have to pay it but was damn inconvenient
    3: talking on the phone in foreign language while driving
    4: driving through red lights and when i asked would he stop doing that his reply was 'oh if the police stop us just say we were waiting there ages!' .. granted it was about 3am down roads in Rush which are fairly quiet, but it was through makeshift lights where you couldnt see what was coming around the corner.. i was petrified!

I have never had these experiences with local drivers,although that is of course not to say that they dont happen, but I would feel much more comfortable sitting in a car with someone who spoke my language fluently and knew exactly where they were going withou the aid of gps or a mate on the other end of the phone! Plus I think we need to support Irish jobs.
    If there is a queue of foreign drivers, with one Irsh guy way down the line, I will bypass the ones on front and go to the Irish driver. Ive been called racist for this, Im not at all, I just dont think I should be forced to either walk/sit in a taxi where i feel uncomfortable. After all, Im paying for a service, should I not be allowed choose my driver?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement