Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union jack, whats the bid deal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Wear the dress but be prepared for comments like this:

You supply the flag, I'll supply the pole :p :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

OP, wear the damned dress.

I'll be honest with you (and the forum), I'm offended by the Union Jack - I detest it in fact.

However I also realize that its time to put history behind us & move on.

I try my best, but the Union Jack still wobbles my titties.

If you do decide to wear the dress, I hope you have a great fun filled, safe & peaceful night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Cue "That's what she's hoping will happen to her when she wears the dress" comments in 5....4....3....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Wow, I didn't actually think the thought of a girl wearing this dress could cause so much upset and offense in some people.

She's not wearing it in some big f-you statement to the whole ''800 years'' thing- she's wearing it because the celebrity she's dressing up as wore it. That's all there is to it.

Somebody asked why people can't accept why others are getting offended by it- I can accept it, alright. I just think it's a fcuking moronic thing to get offended over.

Honestly, if somebody's Halloween costume gets you this wound up, you must have a very boring life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

thumbnail.aspx?q=986957414816&id=a7b3ae0da55b79999d16b48be6fbcb43&url=http%3a%2f%2fwww.hephey.dk%2fmedia%2fGeri_Halliwell%2fgeri_halliwell_210x180_01.jpg

I would say a red wig and a look like this should avoid any confusion. Of course I would not care if you wore a union jack dress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Porkpie

OP, of course you are entitled to wear the dress. But I don't think you should. I would be all for it myself if everyone out there was as tolerant as you and I. But there will be small minded drunken idiots that will use your dress as the perfect excuse to start on you. If you want to do it, go ahead, but be careful. Don't be walking around the streets, get taxis, stay away from rough spots. It's all well for people to say go ahead but I wonder if it was their sister/close friend would they be as encouraging?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

op, I would be offended if I saw somebody wearing a union jack dress be it halloween or whatever. I would'nt say anything or start a fight over it but I would think it was rather bad taste.

And people out there who don't agree with me are (quote) Morons, Idiots, Assholes,etc, etc, well that's what you have said I am for being offended, and "not getting over it" sorry Who are you people ?, you do not know me! so do not pass judgement on my opionions

p.s my father is English, and grandparents and aunts, uncles,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

wear the skirt.
    post the pics....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Go for it, don't pander to stupid people.
    I liked to pretend that I supported rangers in school to see stupid people furrowing their
    eyebrows in a vain attempt to understand the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Go for it, don't pander to stupid people.
    I liked to pretend that I supported rangers in school to see stupid people furrowing their
    eyebrows in a vain attempt to understand the situation.

That's the idea!

Pretend to wear the dress.

We'll need pics BTW.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Can I ask the dress supporters would they care if a Union Jack was flying on a government building or in your town?

I'm a republican and I think you should wear the dress if you come to a mature decision to wear and realise that it offends a hell of alot of people and why it offends them (theres alot more than meets the eye). I'm going to guess you're not political so you have to realise so people lived through terrible harassment and struggle at the hand of an army and police force that saluted the said flag. All i'd say is look strigently into why people detest that flag, if you choose to wear the Union Jack dress, and if you still feel like you should after a mature well educated decision then by all means do.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

magenta73 wrote: »
    op, I would be offended if I saw somebody wearing a union jack dress be it halloween or whatever. I would'nt say anything or start a fight over it but I would think it was rather bad taste.

And people out there who don't agree with me are (quote) Morons, Idiots, Assholes,etc, etc, well that's what you have said I am for being offended, and "not getting over it" sorry Who are you people ?, you do not know me! so do not pass judgement on my opionions

But why would you be offended? She doesn't want to wear the dress to celebrate the Union Jack. She's wearing it to parady a person who wore a similar dress. You're not distinguishing one from the other. That's the problem. Do you get offended by the Irish flag because the IRA did so many horrific things? It's just the same. You should be offended by the actions carried out in the flags name, not the flags themselves. They're just inanimate objects that you're associating these things with.

That's the way I see it, anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Isn't it technically illegal to wear a flag?

How so?
    Who do you think you are with your "why would she be insulting anyone"? Are you trying to be smart? Easy to know no-one from your family was ever murdered by british soldiers. Maybe if your Da or uncle had been shot dead on their way to work you'd have a different outlook.

So a family member of yours was killed by british soldiers, in retaliation you hate the flag and it insults you... lol...

If your family members were killed by latvians or nigerians, would you hate their flag too? Would it insult you?

I think it is just an excuse to incite hatred towards the English... It's a flag, big deal. Flags don't kill people.
    OP, wear the damned dress.

I'll be honest with you (and the forum), I'm offended by the Union Jack - I detest it in fact.

However I also realize that its time to put history behind us & move on.

If you do decide to wear the dress, I hope you have a great fun filled, safe & peaceful night.

Why does it offend you?
    magenta73 wrote: »

Why would it offend you if somebody wore it...? People are proud of their country and where they come from, they are entitled to wear their flag... You would think these people are wearing the flag to cause an uproar, to purposely insult ex colonies, especially the irish. If anything, the person wearing the flag should be insulted by the person immature enough to be insulted by the flag... I mean WTF?

There's other dresses you could wear too:

http://images.google.ie/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=ginger+spice&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

OP, you'll only offend retards if you wear the dress. I personally find offending retards to be an excellent past time.

While wearing the dress you should also sing ''cats in the cradle''.

so to the majority, you're only a retard for being a republican and being offended, yes?

PomBear wrote: »
    so to the majority, you're only a retard for being a republican and being offended, yes?
    The majority aren't calling people retards. The majority simply don't think there's a real issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

You can divide the two things.

Being a republican: Fine

Being offended by someone on a night out wearing a dress with a union flag on it as a reference to a legendarily sh!te band's attire: Retarded.

It's not referring to 800 years of oppression. It's not referring to anything other than Geri Halliwell and her crew of slappers.

Fair Enough, but wearing this is a giant union jack, ofcourse people will get offended and i'm sure many would be offended too if they could honestly say they knew their stuff on the republican history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

if they could honestly say they knew their stuff on the republican history.

Most republications have an obscured view on history which was passed down from their fathers and their fathers father etc. Think the vast majority of educated people on this isle would like to move on with the medieval bigotry and have this country be known for something more than hating the english and beating the ****e out of each other.

OP, I hope whatever decision you make you have a fun and safe night out and its not ruined by uneducated muck savages. And I honestly dont think you would the only person I've seen wearing one. Fairly sure I have spotted a few around Dublin before on Halloween etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Fair Enough, but wearing this is a giant union jack, ofcourse people will get offended and i'm sure many would be offended too if they could honestly say they knew their stuff on the republican history.

Again, knowing the history has literally... fu ck all to do with this.
    Its a girl dressing up as a member of a ****e pop band. The reason she's choosing the Union Jack dress is because its the most recognisable one the tart wore.
    Getting offended by that is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

No problem with English flags or enlgish people BUT BUT...

The Union Jack hah! thats a different story that flags STILL pertains the element or Ireland pre '73 and is a political flag much like our own which encompasses Catholics(green) Protestans (orange) but the Union Jack does not take any of this into accoutn and slams them into one.

They've been debating all over england, scotland, walse for years on the removal of the Union Jack completley. They tehmselves have a problem with it.

But as a Halloween costume gag then duh of course not! It'll be great laugh and you'll look stunning and have a great fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Why not suggest a gorilla suit

not that id like to see!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Maybe you could dress like these ladies who are obviously proud of the Butcher's Apron. Doubtless now I'm going to get the usual West Brits tell us to " move on " (where to ? ) and how to accept the butcher's apron " is a sign of our maturity as a nation "

http://www.indymedia.ie/attachments/jul2006/gks_060712_9048_union_flag_umbrellas.jpg

Winters wrote: »
    Most republications have an obscured view on history which was passed down from their fathers and their fathers father etc. Think the vast majority of educated people on this isle would like to move on with the medieval bigotry and have this country be known for something more than hating the english and beating the ****e out of each other.

OP, I hope whatever decision you make you have a fun and safe night out and its not ruined by uneducated muck savages. And I honestly dont think you would the only person I've seen wearing one. Fairly sure I have spotted a few around Dublin before on Halloween etc.

Most people only know the twisted media manipulated version of the armed struggle. The Vast Majority know **** all of the harassment of this land and don't know to what extent the Irish abused, maimed and killed. but don't worry the PC brigade won't let anyone tell any bad stories only fill our heads with good ones like 'everythings going to be ok, trust us and we'll look after you'

• Advertisement

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Again, knowing the history has literally... fu ck all to do with this.
    Its a girl dressing up as a member of a ****e pop band. The reason she's choosing the Union Jack dress is because its the most recognisable one the tart wore.
    Getting offended by that is ridiculous.
    ok so dressing up as a minstrel is ok because it was a stupid part of entertainment and nothing to do with black people

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement