Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union jack, whats the bid deal?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭defence forces

This post has been deleted.

It doesn't really matter as it depends where you go. Walk into some place on halloween night full of knackers where no-one is wearing costumes (yes not a good idea). but if you and your mates are dressed up as the spice girls you would have to be fairly retarded to recognise that, I think even my dad knows about brit flag dress. frankly I want to go naked on halloween but that is not acceptable in some places, not the mention the constant groping that would go on. My lines would be "hi ladies are you looking for something to hang your coat on?" or "anyone looking a snooker cue?".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭Riddle101

OP if you want to wear the union dress Jack then wear it. Just don't go into Finglas:D

Seriously though if it's that much of a big deal then wear some other dress Ginger Spice wore. I don't think the Union Jack dress was her only dress.
    Mask wrote: »
    I remember last year a guy was going as the kkk and asked if he thought he would be ok.
    Think the majority of the post's said no, but the op then said he was black and everyone seen the funny side of it.
    I would say dress up as her.

But would the people see that the man who wanted to go as a KKK member was black. Considering he wore an all white costume and mask, they may decide to attack him and ask questions later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

That is the problem. You are not uptight about it but this doesn't mean some scummy tramps wont bottle you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

the difficulty is that the type of person who is more more likely to be offended by you dressing up as a spicegirl is also the type of person who is more likely to verbally or physically abuse you because because of it.......
    In some people's minds there really is a correlation between the spire girls and a Love Ulster March down O'Connell street....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Who do you think you are with your "why would she be insulting anyone"? Are you trying to be smart? Easy to know no-one from your family was ever murdered by british soldiers. Maybe if your Da or uncle had been shot dead on their way to work you'd have a different outlook.

I'm so glad this was moved to AH.

What sort of a stupid muppet comment was that??? How the hell do you not know that my whole family wasn't wiped out by British soldiers????

The difference might be that I'm a) big enough to get over it and b) mature enough to know that a girl out on Halloween wearing part of what is essentially a 5 part costume (there being 5 Spice Girls) isn't to blame for 800 *yawn* years of oppression!

The worse thing that I can see happening to the OP is that she comes across you, or someone like you, with no doubt a belly full of drink cos that's what makes you brave, and you give her grief for wearing what is just a Halloween costume!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

cruiser178 wrote: »
    how old are you op,did you learn any irish history in school..too ask a question like that is just:confused:

Indeed. Don't you know that by law you HAVE to hate the Brits, support their football clubs, wallow in their soaps and celebrity culture but scream at the TV from the comfort of your armchair eveytime their national team plays any sport at all or when the queen is shown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Why dont you wear an Irish flag dress? You'd be staying along the same lines of flag-dressedness, and not insulting anybody. Win-win

Because over the course of your life you should never accommodate retards mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

....i'm going this year as an orange man!!! have the hat and sash ready...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Fremen

Who do you think you are with your "why would she be insulting anyone"? Are you trying to be smart? Easy to know no-one from your family was ever murdered by british soldiers. Maybe if your Da or uncle had been shot dead on their way to work you'd have a different outlook.

Er yew tryin-eh be smeeeeerrrh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I shan't say yes or no to your predicament, but if I see you in that dress you're gettin' bet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If people are offended by seeing the Union Jack as part of a Spice Girls costume then they need to either move out to an island somewhere so they'll have no more contact with the modern world or else grow the f*ck up and get over it.

She's not going as a member of the Black and Tans for god's sake.

The most offensive thing about the idea is that it's the friggin' Spice Girls and they were a hideuos bunch of cackling harpies.

And now I have an idea for my halloween costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sure feck it, I'm going as Cromwell.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

RMD wrote: »
    I shan't say yes or no to your predicament, but if I see you in that dress you're gettin' bet.

Banned.
    Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

OP, you may get a few idiots shouting at you during the course of the night, but why should you let their stupidity stop you doing what you want? They're usually the type of people who look for something to abuse somebody over- fcuk them, seriously.

To all the people taking offense at the OP's choice of costume- grow up and move on, ffs. It's not 1921 anymore. This honestly should not even be an issue. Also, comparisons with swastikias and the like are ridiculous- the costume is not meant to have political connotations- the Union Jack dress is just the most recognisable Ginger Spice costume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I say go with the Union Jack. Everybody will know you are Ginger Spice. It Halloween ffs.

Assuming you are going to town/somewhere decent the remaining members of "800 hundred years of oppression, my entire family were killed by Ginger Spice brigade" are unlikely to be out and less likely to have the guts to say anything to you. There's a lot of internet bravado on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Ed_

That member has been banned so why ask them a question they cannot answer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

I doubt anyone will get offended by the Union Jack Dress. I'd say the ginger hair would cause more upset than anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

Where the hell are you going to find that dress in Ireland anyway?

Hah hahahahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Doc wrote: »
    Where the hell are you going to find that dress in Ireland anyway?

She could make it. All she needs to do is alter a blue sequined dress. Or find one in a costume shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

If there are 5 of you or whatever all walking around dressed up as the spice girls than only a retard ra head who's better off dead in the history books should get annoyed at it, unfortunitly there are a lot of knacks around who do still think that but usually they frequent specific bar's which majority of sane people stay clear of. Fact that if you stick together as an obvious group then you'll be recognised as the group and not just some looper on your own wondering aroudn down in a big union jack.

I suspect it is far easier to get a union jack minidress thigny a-la spice girls than a tri-colour one in fancy dress anyway.

Also, pic's.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You've already met 5 or 6 complete ***** in only 3 pages on AH so sadly you're likely to have your night ruined, if not by cockknockers giving you grief then by the worry that they might.

Actually I wouldn't care if someone dressed as a black and tan, I originally come from arklow and people there dressed up in pretty controversial costumes, but it was ok on the night. however weirdly if you discuss it as in say union jack you will get a response, because people are sitting at a computer reading text that in thier mind comes up as "BRITS OUT" but I live in Dublin where we are more cosmopolitan and frankly it's the thought of that band that causes offence. And even if you dressed up as a black and tan very little people will recognise the uniform and any that do probably wouldn't take offence, it would be ssen as trying to be scary. but strangely people recognise the word (black and tan). It's the typical stupidity of Irish people shouting slogans like freestate bastards and black and tans, west brits etc...without knowing about the history of thier country, but will then sit down in a pub and cheer on Man united or Liverpool and have the fcukin audasity to call themselves Irish, they should not just be banned from websites but deported as well. That's your answer love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

It would be very offensive to a lot of people. Would you go to a Jewish convention wearing a swastika?

Irish people and exaggeration. British occupation = Holocaust. Industrial schools = Gulag. RTÉ = Pravda ... the list goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

To some the union jack is just another flag. But to others it is more than that. I wouldn't feel offended but a little disappointed that an Irish person could wear one without thinking of the history behind it and even the current attrocities conducted under its name. I know the history, i've had family members killed in its name and i've had rocks thrown at me as a child by grown men in it's name. To me it's in bad taste. Why does everyone who would be offended or feel something about it have to be some idiot who goes around shouting Brits out and Up the Ra? If i seen this girl wearing it i wouldn't say anything. But i'd still feel something. Why are people quick to deny it's a touchy subject to some?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Purple Gorilla

Because she's going as a member of the spice girls. It's a halloween costume ffs. Some people need to build a bridge and get over it. Did Geri Halliwell personally drive into Croker on 21st November 1920 in her Union Jack Dress and open fire on the crowds? No. So why should this girl be afraid to dress up as a member of the Spice Girls on Halloween? Are we so immature and backwards as a country that we can't stick someone wearing a flag for a dress as an impersonation of someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I see people wearing CCCP t-shirts all the time, without a bother. Funny the hypocrisy in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

where are you planning on going on the night OP? id pick my pub/club very wisely to be honest.it only takes one pissed up drunk to ruin your night and go for ya.

i got called a catholic c**t for having a miraculous medal on and then started on when i said piss off while on holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

prinz wrote: »
    Funny the stupidity in this country.

FYP.

OP, wear what you want, fuck the irrelevant goons.

-Funk

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement