Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Union jack, whats the bid deal?

Options
  • 21-09-2009 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

No idea why this post is in the Ranting & Raving forum, so I shall move it to the party forum.

For what it's worth though, I say wear the dress.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

It would be very offensive to a lot of people. Would you go to a Jewish convention wearing a swastika?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

an extremely tiny mini skirt. A union jack wouldnt bother me. I would be in constant limbo walking mode.

Why dont you wear an Irish flag dress? You'd be staying along the same lines of flag-dressedness, and not insulting anybody. Win-win

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Why dont you wear an Irish flag dress? You'd be staying along the same lines of flag-dressedness, and not insulting anybody. Win-win

:confused: Why should she?? She's going as Ginger Spice not 'Unknown Irish Flag Dress Wearing Lady'! Why not suggest a gorilla suit and have it over and done with? And why would she be insulting anyone??

OP wear the dress...you're obviously going out with a gang of girls so it'll be obvious who you are.

Well if they ask, tell them you're pretending to be Geri from the spice girls, but you had the good taste not to wear a union-jack dress, so you used your imagination and wore an Irish flag one instead. I'm sure you would get far more attention and loads of compliments that way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 florio

I'd have thought you'd be alright. There's a small risk you'll get some idiot having a go at you for it I guess, but I think even the type who'd get their heckles up at any British symbolism would likely be mollified by the fact that it's in minidress form and that (especially if you do the ginger hair exaggerated) it's clearly recognisable as part of a very iconic and well known pop costume with no political connotations whatsoever.
    No point doing it if you're going to be tensed up all night though, so make sure you feel safe before agreeing to anything. I have a few English friends who've never had any trouble wearing England shirts in Dublin city, but they admit they feel a bit uneasy at times when they catcha look off someone- again, the feminine, fancy dress version is less likely to provoke that, but something to think about.

Though I just don't think ginger spice in a tricolour would be quite the same!
    It would be very offensive to a lot of people. Would you go to a Jewish convention wearing a swastika?

Good lord. I'd say as taboo insignias go there's just a teeny difference between the swastika and the Union Jack. If we Irish had the same response to the sight of the union jack you're suggesting (and I do love how you try to make out like half the country are averse to it when you know full well only a few reprobates are immature enough to continue the prejudice) then the British flag flying above our sports grounds and state buildings when they're in this country would be a bit of a problem. And how would we watch the Eurovision every year without getting coronarys and PTSD every time their flag came up? Take your bigotry elsewhere please, I don't know whether your comment was more offensive to the Irish (by making out that we consider ourselves victim to a genocide comparable to the holocaust), the British (for making out they committed one) or the Jews (well, do you really need it spelled out?).

:confused: Why should she?? She's going as Ginger Spice not 'Unknown Irish Flag Dress Wearing Lady'! Why not suggest a gorilla suit and have it over and done with? And why would she be insulting anyone??

OP wear the dress...you're obviously going out with a gang of girls so it'll be obvious who you are.

Who do you think you are with your "why would she be insulting anyone"? Are you trying to be smart? Easy to know no-one from your family was ever murdered by british soldiers. Maybe if your Da or uncle had been shot dead on their way to work you'd have a different outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, wear the Jack. If you are going to despoil a flag I can't think of a better one :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

OP - go ahead and wear the dress and, as Brendan Behan used to say, f$ck the begrudgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Isn't it technically illegal to wear a flag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 florio

bigkev49 wrote: »
    Isn't it technically illegal to wear a flag?

Damn, if only they'd thought of that 15 years ago we could have saved the world from "Wannabe".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Wear the flag and have a good night out, don't listen to idiots and their idiotic "Brits out" ****e, move on for f*cks sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Forget the flag, you are going as Ginger Spice? :eek: Dye your hair and go as Baby Spice, Mmmmmm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Who do you think you are with your "why would she be insulting anyone"? Are you trying to be smart? Easy to know no-one from your family was ever murdered by british soldiers. Maybe if your Da or uncle had been shot dead on their way to work you'd have a different outlook.

I don't think Ginger Spice ever shot anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Well, you could wear it no bother if you went as a butcher.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Make sure you wear shorts to cover up your arse if you're going to wear the butcher's apron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

how old are you op,did you learn any irish history in school..too ask a question like that is just:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

too early for this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

If people are offended by seeing the Union Jack as part of a Spice Girls costume then they need to either move out to an island somewhere so they'll have no more contact with the modern world or else grow the f*ck up and get over it.

She's not going as a member of the Black and Tans for god's sake.

The most offensive thing about the idea is that it's the friggin' Spice Girls and they were a hideuos bunch of cackling harpies.

Wossack wrote: »
    too early for this :confused:

Dischord twixt carpet and curtains, methinks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Well, not to worry - you won't be wearing the Union Jack...

Although, you would be wearing the Union Flag! ;)

I'd say you've less than zero chance of causing offence, although you may get plenty jokey comments.

And if flags were offensive, the British would have a lot more to complain about in, say, Gilford and further afield considering what has been done in the recent past in the name of our flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    If people are offended by seeing the Union Jack as part of a Spice Girls costume then they need to either move out to an island somewhere so they'll have no more contact with the modern world or else grow the f*ck up and get over it.

She's not going as a member of the Black and Tans for god's sake.

The most offensive thing about the idea is that it's the friggin' Spice Girls and they were a hideuos bunch of cackling harpies.

Exactly just wear the dress. Your more likely to get picked on for dressing up as a spice girl. You might get some muppet get all offended by the flag even though he is wearing his man utd football jersey.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

...who were used to terrify the country, turn milk and destroy the potato crop for 800 years. Thats why we're extinct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I remember last year a guy was going as the kkk and asked if he thought he would be ok.
    Think the majority of the post's said no, but the op then said he was black and everyone seen the funny side of it.
    I would say dress up as her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement