Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

There is an article in my local paper from a local representative who speaks out for himself and a large number of his constituents whose post has been delayed since the introduction of Eircode, because the post office have decided, since last summer, to not deliver the post addressed in "the old way". That is, post addressed in our proper county, but with a postal sorting point in another county.

I have highlighted my problem on here before, so I can confirm now that my case is not isolated, and not confined to just the 2 counties too. (My problem is co Waterford/co Tipperary, for others it's co Cork/co Waterford, and so on)

It seems that An Post, in a possibly non official way, from what I gather, are indeed adopting Eircodes, insofar as they are now enforcing Eircode addresses on residents.

Well at least, I and this public representative don't believe it is purely coincidental that An Post should decide to slap a "Delayed because of wrong address" sticker on our post since the roll out of Eircodes.

The end result of the adoption of Eircodes for myself and all these other families, is that if we want to receive our post in a timely manner, we should change counties.

So the promises that Eircode "does not change your address" are baloney as far as I'm concerned, and I don't think it's right that it should go unnoticed.

Eircode does change owners' addresses.
    It goes so far as to change the county you live in.

In my situation (like others), it's either change counties, or compulsory use of Eircode, in order to receive post as normal.

Hypocritical.

edit : Geodirectory has me in the right county, so there is no correlation here between Geodirectory and Eircode too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

There is an article in my local paper from a local representative who speaks out for himself and a large number of his constituents whose post has been delayed since the introduction of Eircode, because the post office have decided, since last summer, to not deliver the post addressed in "the old way". That is, post addressed in our proper county, but with a postal sorting point in another county.

I have highlighted my problem on here before, so I can confirm now that my case is not isolated, and not confined to just the 2 counties too. (My problem is co Waterford/co Tipperary, for others it's co Cork/co Waterford, and so on)

It seems that An Post, in a possibly non official way, from what I gather, are indeed adopting Eircodes, insofar as they are now enforcing Eircode addresses on residents.

Well at least, I and this public representative don't believe it is purely coincidental that An Post should decide to slap a "Delayed because of wrong address" sticker on our post since the roll out of Eircodes.

The end result of the adoption of Eircodes for myself and all these other families, is that if we want to receive our post in a timely manner, we should change counties.

So the promises that Eircode "does not change your address" are baloney as far as I'm concerned, and I don't think it's right that it should go unnoticed.

Eircode does change owners' addresses.
    It goes so far as to change the county you live in.

In my situation (like others), it's either change counties, or compulsory use of Eircode, in order to receive post as normal.

Hypocritical.

The point you keep missing is that they are NOT eircode addresses ...they are An Post addresses. Eircode used An Posts database of addresses, An Post could (and have done previously, even went to court) enforce this address on people for the purpose of mail delivery. They could and did do this prior to eircode and will, I assume, continue to do it after eircode was introduced.

But you continue to claim it's eircodes fault.

I have to make this really clear. Eircode did not decide this was your address, An Post did.

edit : Geodirectory has me in the right county, so there is no correlation here between Geodirectory and Eircode too.

geodirectory is the same as eircodes database. Geodirectory is a reseller of eircode now so their database has eircode in it.

You making this statement makes me think you can't be telling the truth or there's some misunderstanding of what you're looking at

Use this geodirectory product

Www.Geohive.ie

this is the geodirectory database with eircode included and then tell us if the geodirectory has your address with what eircode. Bear in mind geodirectory also holds "Alias" address data so there may be more than one version of your address to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Talk about stacking the deck. Want a postcode in the Netherlands? Ask the individual. Want one in Ireland? Suddenly there's an ordeal of searching a website.

Why not ask the farmer for his eircode? The vast majority of our customers supply theirs on request.

I am sure the average Joe would have no problem with disclosing his postcode to a supplier / agency he trusted. But given its user-unfriendly structure there is a 99% chance s/he won't know their code. So if a company or other organisation wants to add postcodes to their database, the "address cleaning" exercise becomes an expensive difficult task. Sure address cleaning software exists to add a postcode to an address that has a street/road name and house number and the correct town name. But in IRL everything is mixed up. There are no town name boundaries marked on the roads, there are few named streets except in some cities and towns. You also have the "Ballsbridge factor" - some people like to pretend that they live in a different town - ie not the postally/legaly correct town for their house address. Even fewer have house numbers. There is nothing for address cleaning software to work on. So you are back to looking it up. And that won't work for 50% of cases so you ask the guy. 99% won't know from memory. Most will agree to get back to you on that. A tiny fraction will actually get back to you with their correct code. The numbers are against anyone trying to build a list of customers etc which has a postcode field.

You would be better off trying to postcode a village in an African jungle!

I was under the impression that Eircode claimed to use Geodirectory addresses, not An Post.

Ukoda, you are not listening.

I have been living at the same address since 2003, and receiving post addressed to my proper, geographical county.

I will rephrase this : An Post happily delivered my mail to my proper geographical address for the past 13 years.

This summer, at the same time as Eircodes were being rolled out, An Post suddenly (!) decided my address (and numerous and various other addresses, judging by this article in my local paper) was no longer correct.

You are obviously trying to pass this as a coincidence.

I don't believe it is a coincidence.

And as regards the link between Eircode and An Post, there has been a lot of hypocrisy, with official write ups saying that Eircode will not change your address. It does, it simply does, because of the link with An Post, and the stance An Post has adopted since the introduction of Eircode.

• Advertisement

I was under the impression that Eircode claimed to use Geodirectory addresses, not An Post.

Ukoda, you are not listening.

I have been living at the same address since 2003, and receiving post addressed to my proper, geographical county.

I will rephrase this : An Post happily delivered my mail to my proper geographical address for the past 13 years.

This summer, at the same time as Eircodes were being rolled out, An Post suddenly (!) decided my address (and numerous and various other addresses, judging by this article in my local paper) was no longer correct.

You are obviously trying to pass this as a coincidence.

I don't believe it is a coincidence.

And as regards the link between Eircode and An Post, there has been a lot of hypocrisy, with official write ups saying that Eircode will not change your address. It does, it simply does, because of the link with An Post, and the stance An Post has adopted since the introduction of Eircode.

Do this and tell me how you get on:

Check your address in the geodirectory here: www.geohive.ie
    You claim this has your "correct" address
    Get the eircode for it from this website

Put that eircode into finder.eircode.ie

Tell us if its the same thing, because you are querying the SAME database

Eircode database = geodirectory
    An Post database = geodirectory

Edit: the direct link to search geodirectory is map.geohive.ie

I just checked mine and they are identical.

ukoda wrote: »
    geodirectory is the same as eircodes database. Geodirectory is a reseller of eircode now so their database has eircode in it.

You making this statement makes me think you can't be telling the truth or there's some misunderstanding of what you're looking at

Use this geodirectory product

Www.Geohive.ie

this is the geodirectory database with eircode included and then tell us if the geodirectory has your address with what eircode. Bear in mind geodirectory also holds "Alias" address data so there may be more than one version of your address to look at.

The "geodirectory product" you are directing me to, has a different address to the actual geodirectory website, as per
    https://www.geodirectory.ie/

edit : I would prefer not to give my address online, but I am 100% honest. Geodirectory.ie address is in my correct county.

our electoral area is in our proper county too by the way.

The "geodirectory product" you are directing me to, has a different address to the actual geodirectory website, as per
    https://www.geodirectory.ie/

edit : I would prefer not to give my address online, but I am 100% honest. Geodirectory.ie address is in my correct county.

our electoral area is in our proper county too by the way.

I don't know how that is possible as its all the same database.....

Do the eircodes match in all 3 websites? And don't you need a licence to use geodirectory.ie?

Can you directly link me to the part of the website you are entering your address on?

Edit: I found it, my address is identical in all 3 websites, as expected

Ok, I didn't want to give my exact address, I'm sure you'll understand, so I have found a pretty impersonal example of discrepancy following one of the localities the local representative was talking about in the newspaper. I don't live there.

I hope I can link to the exact spot, if not, please search for :

Rathgormac, co Waterford, Parochial House. on geodirectory.ie (go to Irish addresses on the right hand side, there is a search function there).

Then look for the same parochial house on Eircode.ie (it's easy enough to find, right in the village, beside the church (right hand side of church on Eircode map).

I'll try and insert the 2 links :

https://www.geodirectory.ie/Maps/Research-Irish-Addresses.aspx
    https://finder.eircode.ie/#/map

Don't think links work, as I suspected. Just do the searches.

My address is in the same situation.

In the above case, residents of Rathgormac, co Waterford, have their geodirectory address as :

Parochial House
    RATHGORMUCK
    CO. WATERFORD

Their Eircode address is :
    PAROCHIAL HOUSE,
    RATHGORMACK,
    CARRICK-ON-SUIR,
    CO. TIPPERARY

Same for me.

Again, electoral area, property tax, OSI, etc... are all obviously in co Waterford, for me.

Sorry, should have included Eircode to make it easier to search : E32 P034

Ok, I didn't want to give my exact address, I'm sure you'll understand, so I have found a pretty impersonal example of discrepancy following one of the localities the local representative was talking about in the newspaper. I don't live there.

I hope I can link to the exact spot, if not, please search for :

Rathgormac, co Waterford, Parochial House. on geodirectory.ie (go to Irish addresses on the right hand side, there is a search function there).

Then look for the same parochial house on Eircode.ie (it's easy enough to find, right in the village, beside the church (right hand side of church on Eircode map).

I'll try and insert the 2 links :

https://www.geodirectory.ie/Maps/Research-Irish-Addresses.aspx
    https://finder.eircode.ie/#/map

Don't think links work, as I suspected. Just do the searches.

My address is in the same situation.

In the above case, residents of Rathgormac, co Waterford, have their geodirectory address as :

Parochial House
    RATHGORMUCK
    CO. WATERFORD

Their Eircode address is :
    PAROCHIAL HOUSE,
    RATHGORMACK,
    CARRICK-ON-SUIR,
    CO. TIPPERARY

Same for me.

Again, electoral area, property tax, OSI, etc... are all obviously in co Waterford, for me.

Sorry, should have included Eircode to make it easier to search : E32 P034

Eircode and geohive have this address as Tipperary with the same eircode, If it's different in the geodirectory.ie then I suspect (as I said above) the geodirectory site is using an alias address as the one it displays

If you go to correctaddress.anpost.ie it also uses the Tipperary version of the address.

I'll go back to my original point, An Post have decided this is your postal address, and then eircode used it.

Your beef is with An Post.

sxfxqb.png

• Advertisement

That is so disingenuous and you know it.

Geodirectory are stating the address as it should be, the address it has always been.

An Post are posting the address as they want it to be for postal services.

Eircode have adopted An Post address, thereby changing counties to suit An Post, rather than the official, OSI, address.

The OSI, census, electoral area addresses were the point of reference, until An Post, backed by Eircode, decided to change people's addresses for commercial purposes.

Are you arguing that geodirectory.ie have the wrong geodirectory address, and your "product" sites have the correct one ?

My beef is with the Eircode literature :
    Using an Eircode
    Addresses aren’t being changed or replaced, all you will need to do is to simply add the Eircode to the end of your current address.

Eircode addresses = postal addresses = wrong addresses/commercial addresses.

I don't think commercial agencies should be entitled to change geographical borders.

That is so disingenuous and you know it.

Geodirectory are stating the address as it should be, the address it has always been.

An Post are posting the address as they want it to be for postal services.

Eircode have adopted An Post address, thereby changing counties to suit An Post, rather than the official, OSI, address.

The OSI, census, electoral area addresses were the point of reference, until An Post, backed by Eircode, decided to change people's addresses for commercial purposes.

Are you arguing that geodirectory.ie have the wrong geodirectory address, and your "product" sites have the correct one ?

My beef is with the Eircode literature :

Eircode addresses = postal addresses = wrong addresses/commercial addresses.

I don't think commercial agencies should be entitled to change geographical borders.

Think of it this way...

I typed the address in to An Post website as Waterford, so how did it know to change it to Tipperary?

Because it's all the one database

Geodirectory has both version of your address and it works like this:

Query comes in from An Post website = return postal address
    Query comes in from eircode website = return postal address
    Query comes in from geodirectory website = return geographic version of the address

But it's all the one database, as far as geodirectory is concerned it's all the same address point.

You can see from the An Post website that they decided (long before eircode came in I guarantee) what your postal address was, I.e. Tipperary.

An Post would have eventually got around to enforcing this on you even if eircode ever came in or existed.

I'm not saying I agree with it, but I'm trying to make it clear that it's not eircodes doing, surely you can see that?! An Post has it Tipperary with no reference to any eircode or anything to do with it!

And An Post had absolutely no problem dealing with my geographical address... until Eircodes rolled in.

And An Post had absolutely no problem dealing with my geographical address... until Eircodes rolled in.
    well thats unfortunate and i don't envy you having 2 versions of your address, but An Post don't need to use eircode as an excuse to enforce the postal address on you, they are (like it or not) within their rights to make you use it for your mail delivery. You can see for yourself on An Posts correct address website that they had already decided your postal address before eircode existed.

so i make the point to you again, eircode didn't change your address (as you repeatedly claim), they just used what An Post had already decided was your postal address.

Im not claiming you don't have an issue, but you really need to blame the right people....An Post

Oh, so Eircode are definitely not using geodirectory then, aren't they ?

So Eircode, are, as I stated before, and as my beef with them is, using a commercial address rather than a geographical address.

And as I explained before, I have an issue with this.

You see, we're being told, very openly, that Eircode will make it a lot easier to locate our address, and of course, major governmental agencies, and services such as emergency services are due or encouraged to adopt Eircode.

So within a few years, all services such as property tax, car tax, tv licence, HSE, emergency services, whatever else I can't think of right now, will of course use Eircode/An Post addresses.

(since we've established they are one and the same, and not Eircode/geodirectory vs An Post as was previously stated here).

Do you think property tax, car tax, tv licence, HSE, emergency services, and others, are going to keep 2 databases going ? One for the geographical, historical address, one for the commercial Eircode/An Post address ?

Really ?

Eventually, all these services will let go of our historical/geographical address.
    Within a few years, these changes An Post/Eircode have decided on, for commercial purposes, will be the norm, and historical/geographical address will be anecdotal.

This is my problem.

They will have changed my address, and they will be after denying it the entire time.

I said it above : I don't think commercial entities should be entitled to alter geographical/historical addresses for commercial purposes.
    It's not right, even when these entities are linked to government.

If there is a need to redefine counties for commercial purposes, and the government intend to do so (as they have done in France for example, regions have recently been redefined), transparency should apply, and they should inform people.

Not introduce Eircodes, and let Eircodes + An Post work away at it in the background.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Impetus wrote: »
    I am sure the average Joe would have no problem with disclosing his postcode to a supplier / agency he trusted. But given its user-unfriendly structure there is a 99% chance s/he won't know their code.

My experience (which I've repeatedly stated) is that this isn't the case, which leads me to believe that you've just pulled this statistic from thin air.

If you're so wedded to your disdain of eircodes that you've resorted to inventing arguments in an attempt to discredit them, there's not a lot to be gained from discussing this any further with you.

Oh, so Eircode are definitely not using geodirectory then, aren't they ?

So Eircode, are, as I stated before, and as my beef with them is, using a commercial address rather than a geographical address.

And as I explained before, I have an issue with this.

You see, we're being told, very openly, that Eircode will make it a lot easier to locate our address, and of course, major governmental agencies, and services such as emergency services are due or encouraged to adopt Eircode.

So within a few years, all services such as property tax, car tax, tv licence, HSE, emergency services, whatever else I can't think of right now, will of course use Eircode/An Post addresses.

(since we've established they are one and the same, and not Eircode/geodirectory vs An Post as was previously stated here).

Do you think property tax, car tax, tv licence, HSE, emergency services, and others, are going to keep 2 databases going ? One for the geographical, historical address, one for the commercial Eircode/An Post address ?

Really ?

Eventually, all these services will let go of our historical/geographical address.
    Within a few years, these changes An Post/Eircode have decided on, for commercial purposes, will be the norm, and historical/geographical address will be anecdotal.

This is my problem.

They will have changed my address, and they will be after denying it the entire time.

I said it above : I don't think commercial entities should be entitled to alter geographical/historical addresses for commercial purposes.
    It's not right, even when these entities are linked to government.

If there is a need to redefine counties for commercial purposes, and the government intend to do so (as they have done in France for example, regions have recently been redefined), transparency should apply, and they should inform people.

Not introduce Eircodes, and let Eircodes + An Post work away at it in the background.
    they use geodirectory, geodirectory has all version of your address, its not eircode using a "commercial" address, they are using the postal address the states postal service has assigned you.

i never claimed you don't have an issue or that it was fair or right, don't get me wrong, but the route cause is that An Post decided you've a different postal address to your geographical one, thats the route of your issue.

im not going to keep arguing with you because you won't ever accept that it was An Post who changed your address and you are intent on making it eircodes fault no matter what, so ill leave it there, like i said i don't envy you and i don't think its right either.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭La Fenetre

The fuss on these postcodes seems to have died out, are most people using them ?, I don't see them on many addresses. People don't mind giving them to a delivery driver and the emergency services, but I doubt they want to be handing out the exact satellite location of their home out to all and sundry.

La Fenetre wrote: »
    ...I'm not giving the exact satellite location of my home out to all and sundry.

What would you do if you had a unique address?

But Ukoda, and oscarBravo, while we're at it, since you seem to be around :
    Eircode are using An Post addresses rather than geodirectory, as clearly demonstrated above. Geodirectory more than likely simply agreed to have the alias commercial address added to the original address.

Geodirectory by the way, is using the same townlands and geographical borders (as far as i can see, for my area), as the OSI, Cassini maps, electoral maps, Census records, ... this is why I am stating that geodirectory's original address (before Eircode) is the "original" address (not to say "the real one").

So : Eircode claim they don't change address.
    +
    An Post openly change address for commercial purposes.
    (since whenever, not just now)

Eircode use An Post address rather than geodirectory/OSI/Census
    address.

Eircode effectively have changed user's address.

If Eircode were using my address in co Waterford, I would have no issue with them ! I have an issue because they are using the commercial address An Post are passing on to them.

If Eircode had not changed my address (as An Post do, for commercial purposes), I would not have an issue.

I hope that's clear enough, and yes Ukoda, I'm finished arguing too, I need to check the grim news from France this evening.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97370637&postcount=8408
    You're assuming that your personal preference for what you consider your address is "accurate". If you're going to talk about accuracy in Irish addressing, you have to have canonical addresses, and the closest we've got to those is Geodirectory.
    Eircode not using my geodirectory address.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97369238&postcount=8400
    Just so you're aware, eircode haven't assigned you a different townland, eircode use the An Post geodirectory, which means that the townland associated to your ericode has always been your postal townland per An Post.

You can still write your address with the townland you've always used, just stick your ericode on the end
    Eircode not using my geodirectory address.

• Advertisement

There no point continuing this conversation because you still haven't grasped the relationship of what the geodirectory is

EVERY address is a geoditectory address, geodirectory existed and had both postal addresses and geographical addresses ever before eircode was even conceived.

You realise An Post and OSI own the geodirectory?

You keep saying things like "the an post address and not the geodirectory address?" because you aren't getting it.

Eircode claim they don't change address.

They don't. They might have a different address in their database from the one you prefer to use, but that doesn't mean that they've changed your address, or that you have to change your address. I've found addresses in the eircode database that are flat-out wrong (one I just saw today was a house outside Charlestown - actually in Sligo - with a Claremorris address).

But you don't have to change your address to comply. If An Post have recently stopped delivering post promptly to what you consider your correct address, take it up with An Post.

Even if you can prove that An Post have taken to delaying post that they used to deliver promptly as a direct result of the introduction of Eircodes, that's still a matter for An Post.

I'm not here to defend everything that An Post do. I'm here to argue against those people who persist in telling me that, despite all my experience to the contrary, Eircodes are useless and nobody knows what their Eircode is. I'm citing my actual experiences; they're citing their prejudices.

There no point continuing this conversation because you still haven't grasped the relationship of what the geodirectory is

EVERY address is a geoditectory address, geodirectory existed and had both postal addresses and geographical addresses ever before eircode was even conceived.

You realise An Post and OSI own the geodirectory?

You keep saying things like "the an post address and not the geodirectory address?" because you aren't getting it.

Because the addresses are DIFFERENT.

Because the addresses are DIFFERENT.

I don't dispute that. Do you get that An Post own the geodirectory with OSI? That both of your addresses are geodirectory addresses? That the geodirectory has both your geographically known address (OSI) and your postal known address (An Post) and it always had these 2 addresses ever before eircode or any postcode?

Do you get that eircode points to your geodirectory address (the postal version) because they are a POSTcode.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    But you don't have to change your address to comply. If An Post have recently stopped delivering post promptly to what you consider your correct address, take it up with An Post.

For now. It is obvious that all major governmental agencies are not going to keep 2 databases for their customers forever, one the customer's preference (as per history/geography), one commercial as per Eircode/An Post.

Even if you can prove that An Post have taken to delaying post that they used to deliver promptly as a direct result of the introduction of Eircodes, that's still a matter for An Post.

But it is still a mess up that happened as a result of Eircode's haphazard roll out. That I have to contact An Post to change practicalities does not cancel out the fact that the problem is a direct result of Eircodes' introduction.

I don't dispute that. Do you get that An Post own the geodirectory with OSI? That both of your addresses are geodirectory addresses? That the geodirectory has both your geographically known address (OSI) and your postal known address (An Post) and it always had these 2 addresses ever before eircode or any postcode?

Do you get that eircode points to your geodirectory address (the postal version) because they are a POSTcode.

This is what the entry for your house looks like in the geodirectory database

jl3wja.jpg

Eircode are pointing to the postal address. But they didn't create it or change it. They simply used it. I can't make it any clearer than this.

I would argue that the OSI input is really the original, base input here, and that An Post simply tagged on after.

OSI are using historical/geographical records.

An Post are using these too, and amended them subsequently for commercial purposes.

Therefore my address, as folklore (as in, the custom of the people), history, and geography has it, is the canonical address.

That An Post tagged along and then changed bits and pieces is all well and good for them, but that cannot be used to justify Eircode adopting that commercial address, imo.

There are still two addresses, one historical, one commercial. The rest is just semantics on your part to try and make it alright.

It's not.

The commercial address should stay just that.
    Eircode should have used historical addresses, imo.

Instead there are now 2 entities using commercial rather than historical addresses, without having clearly informed users.

I don't approve of that, and really, no semantics can possibly make up for that tbh.

I think history is important, and commercial interest should not be let supersede it. Not without the agreement of the general population anyway.

I would argue that the OSI input is really the original, base input here, and that An Post simply tagged on after.

OSI are using historical/geographical records.

An Post are using these too, and amended them subsequently for commercial purposes.

Therefore my address, as folklore (as in, the custom of the people), history, and geography has it, is the canonical address.

That An Post tagged along and then changed bits and pieces is all well and good for them, but that cannot be used to justify Eircode adopting that commercial address, imo.

There are still two addresses, one historical, one commercial. The rest is just semantics on your part to try and make it alright.

It's not.

The commercial address should stay just that.
    Eircode should have used historical addresses, imo.

Instead there are now 2 entities using commercial rather than historical addresses, without having clearly informed users.

I don't approve of that, and really, no semantics can possibly make up for that tbh.

I think history is important, and commercial interest should not be let supersede it. Not without the agreement of the general population anyway.

You still aren't getting it. From day 1, the geodirectory had both addresses. An Post didn't "tag anything on" they CREATED the geodirectory.

Eircode is a postcode. It points to the postal version of your address.

What the hell is a "commercial" address??!!! There's no such thing, there's geographical address and a postal address.

Look at my post above with the pic. This is what your entry looks like in the geodirectory. Because that's the way An Post created it when they were building THIER geodirectory.

This is what the entry for your house looks like in the geodirectory database

jl3wja.jpg

Eircode are pointing to the postal address. But they didn't create it or change it. They simply used it. I can't make it any clearer than this.

No, I'm sorry Ukoda, you really just have to face things.

Historical and geographical borders EXIST.
    Counties end at a certain spot.
    This is acknowledged in religious, electoral documents, and historical maps.

People know their historical address, they know the official land borders, if only for official land registry purposes.

People follow these official borders/addresses, it becomes folklore.

They live in a county, and they know it.

An Post decided that they were going to amend the address to suit a postal office in another county, in some cases. So they created a new address, they changed the historical, religious, electoral county an address was in, for commercial purposes.

Really there is nothing complicated here.

I understand how and why An Post have a need to do this.

But I still do not agree that this commercial option should supersede the historical one, and with Eircode adopting the commercial option, it seems to be what is destined to happen.

• Advertisement

An Post decided that they were going to amend the address to suit a postal office in another county.

I understand how and why An Post have a need to do this.

Finally you've come to the relisation that it was in fact An Post who changed your address!

That was the only thing I was arguing with you on.

I agree with you on your other points, there shouldn't be 2 addresses (I never said there should be) I think we should just have the geographical address.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement