Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Like St Thomas...I'll need to see the wound....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

So.... then... When is Newlands cross starting? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

Aquarius34 wrote: »
    So.... then... When is Newlands cross starting? :)
    http://www.cisireland.com/ProjectDescription.aspx?id=985
    Tuesday We understand a successful contractor is expected to be appointed in late April 2013.

jd wrote: »

So it's late April, then. I see. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

So it's late April, then. I see. :)

With the contract start date set to 1st of July according to that link.

• Advertisement

NedNew2 wrote: »
    With the contract start date set to 1st of July according to that link.

With year 2013 start date. Shifted from 2009,2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2013. Wonder what's going on between now and July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

With year 2013 start date. Shifted from 2009,2010, 2011, 2012 and now 2013. Wonder what's going on between now and July.

May and June :D

tonc76 wrote: »
    May and June :D

Could be all the way to next July too.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Just received this from the NRA.... seem to be getting more vague each time!

With reference to your recent email, I wish to advise that the Authority is continuing to work closely with the preferred tenderer for the N11 Arklow to Rathnew Public Private Partnership (PPP) contract (which includes the upgrade of the N7 Newlands Cross junction) with a view to achieving contract award shortly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Gort-Tuam will kick off sooner at this rate of going. :D

• Advertisement

So the end of April isn't 30th April 2013 after all!

It might, maybe, be sometime in July?

But which July?

Wonders why Irish politicians are the highest paid in the world, don't you just have to wonder why it's been going on for over 40 years that they cannot seem to just freakin grade separate the countries single biggest traffic control junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Wonders why Irish politicians are the highest paid in the world,

Link ?

I only ask because I know its not true......

I think Aqua meant the most overpaid in the world. That is certainly true.....

knipex wrote: »
    Link ?

I only ask because I know its not true......

Well it's not like Bertie is going to tell you how much money he got for been a politician. You also have to remember we are a country of 4.5million and just think of HOW much of the taxpayers money goes to these politicians and even just outside of "wages" alone. All our public figures are woefully overpaid. This is one of the MAIN reasons why this country is a mess, why it is broke and why it has always been broke. The corruption in this country is at levels people actually have no idea about, seriously. The British empire were always glad that were the way........

So then, do I have a point

Why has Newlands cross continually been put on hold then?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Well it's not like Bertie is going to tell you how much money he got for been a politician. You also have to remember we are a country of 4.5million and just think of HOW much of the taxpayers money goes to these politicians and even just outside of "wages" alone. All our public figures are woefully overpaid. This is one of the MAIN reasons why this country is a mess, why it is broke and why it has always been broke. The corruption in this country is at levels people actually have no idea about, seriously. The British empire were always glad that were the way........

You have no point. Can we have less emotional posts please?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Why has Newlands cross continually been put on hold then?
    On topic please. If you want to discuss corruption in politics, do so on the Politics board.

The next time you drag a thread off-topic I'm issuing a ban.

I want to know why this scheme has been dragging on for the last 10 years. I do have a point and I am tired of it. I am saying it now and I will probably say it again. The NRA read this forum and so do all the other politicians so there has to be answers now because this is getting unacceptable. The road jam at this junction causes delays for hundreds of thousands of vehicles each day. It is the only traffic light controlled junction between Limerick to Dublin and the other southern cities via the inter urbans. The Naas road has been widened in two sections over the last 10 years. The M50 has been widened and YET still Newlands cross is left on the slumber. 5 years ago they were supposed to start this scheme. 5 years later it's still dragging on. They moved the Gas mains and had fenced of temporary land for the upgrade works. Yet still after 5 years it's been left there. Every year the NRA and the media state a start date and as usual every year nothing HAPPENS.

I want answers and I do not accept there is no money, because that is an excuse because the money has always been there but it's just going somewhere else.

They want people to believe there "is no money" but that is a lie. Money is always there and there is never any more or less than what there is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

the NRA read this forum and so do all the other politicians
    Hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

spacetweek wrote: »
    Hilarious!
    Play nice. :)

While one can't rely on everyone reading boards.ie, many do. There are 627,448 accounts.

I think one of the elements was the 'spreading around' of expenditure.

A decision needed to be made as to how to route Metro West.

Also, it won't be the easiest junction to upgrade and the Katherine Tynan Road (Embankment Road Extension) is an important part of the preparations for the work and it only opened last year(?). http://maps.google.ie/?ll=53.295487,-6.388587&spn=0.013081,0.042272&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.295487,-6.388587&panoid=cPyUSVM0qzFOim1FmgWJ2Q&cbp=12,247.98,,0,-7.77 the Red Cow, Monastery Road and other interchanges also need to be done first.

In fairness, as the only set of traffic lights from Ennis / Cork to Belfast (and beyond), it isn't that bad for the individual motorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It isn't that bad? I never drive through Newlands but every day I get caught in delays caused by it. What was the point of making the Red Cow free-flowing when you often get tailbacks right through it, up the Naas Road, up the Long Mile Road, all the way back to Crumlin Hospital, caused by this woefully inadequate junction?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Victor wrote: »
    In fairness, as the only set of traffic lights from Ennis / Cork to Belfast (and beyond), it isn't that bad for the individual motorist.

You won't get much beyond Cork or Belfast without hitting lights, what with the Dunkettle and York Road junctions respectively

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

The fact that it is the only set of lights between Belfast -> Cork etc is not really the point is it?

The vast majority of the 1000s of people who get caught up in delays there every day of the week are not travelling form Cork to Belfast, they are travelling into and out of Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

As far as I am aware this job is commencing on Tuesday next 30th April

• Registered Users Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭jd

JM Skipton wrote: »

Starting, or contracts being signed?

JM Skipton wrote: »
    Can you indicate where you got this info from? A politician or someone directly involved with the construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

spacetweek wrote: »
    Can you indicate where you got this info from? A politician or someone directly involved with the construction?[/QUOTE

I spoke to a consultant this morning as I am quoting for a section of the job(would prefer not to mention my job)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Would be great news if true. Timing would probably be good - coming up to the summer where traffic volumes are generally lighter when the schools are off. Hopefully they can keep disruption to a minimum but I've put up with major disruption on the n7 previously but worth it in the end to see the improvements that follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Jayuu

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Would be great news if true. Timing would probably be good - coming up to the summer where traffic volumes are generally lighter when the schools are off. Hopefully they can keep disruption to a minimum but I've put up with major disruption on the n7 previously but worth it in the end to see the improvements that follow.

To be honest while I want it to start as soon as possible there's going to be major disruption for a long time. It's not like this is going to be done in three months.

Advertisement