Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N7 - Newlands Cross upgrade

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Jayuu wrote: »
    To be honest while I want it to start as soon as possible there's going to be major disruption for a long time. It's not like this is going to be done in three months.

What is the expected construction time? Just for Newlands cross? Anyone know of any route to get to the M7 from the M50 and avoiding Newlands cross?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Deedsie wrote: »
    Anyone know of any route to get to the M7 from the M50 and avoiding Newlands cross?

Few options but depends from what direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

What is the expected construction time? Just for Newlands cross? Anyone know of any route to get to the M7 from the M50 and avoiding Newlands cross?

From north or south of M50.

I know from Southside heading North bound you can jump off at tallaght and after a few lefts and rights pop out just before or at citywest. All depends on time of day traffic etc.

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    From north or south of M50.

I know from Southside heading North bound you can jump off at tallaght and after a few lefts and rights pop out just before or at citywest. All depends on time of day traffic etc.

From the South, I should have said. I was thinking of taking the N81 going through Tallaght and joining the N7 at Saggart?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

From the South, I should have said. I was thinking of taking the N81 going through Tallaght and joining the N7 at Saggart?

Or just past The Square take a right onto R136 the new link road straight down to the N7.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Or don't worry...this won't start while the current Government lasts :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

To be honest while I want it to start as soon as possible there's going to be major disruption for a long time. It's not like this is going to be done in three months.

Hopefully it won't be that bad. They seem to have plenty of scope here to make temporary paths to keep traffic flowing, so bring this project on, especially if the more disruptive parts can be done while the schools are off.
    The Red Cow reconstruction was a much worse job and we survived. I ride a motorbike, so didn't experience it in full effect, but it seemed to me that although the Red Cow work did impose delays it wasn't all that much worse than would occur at peak times anyway e.g. wet Friday afternoon. Although one has a different perspective on the traffic queue when passing it as opposed to sitting in it!
    The things that concerned me about the Red Cow work were the poor quality of the temporary surface, some sharp turns while climbing temporary ramps, and the openness of the temporary junction to the prevailing westerly gale. The current set-up is OK as the permanent barriers tend to deflect the wind quite well - you are much more exposed on the outbound run to the Red Cow than in the junction - but being on top of the temporary ramp, on a bike, having to turn tightly right at the point of maximum exposure to westerly gales was no fun at all.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

JM Skipton wrote: »
    As far as I am aware this job is commencing on Tuesday next 30th April
    Quickelles wrote: »

I hope JM Skipton is right... It might be a bit disruptive for a while but what is the max length of time it could take? 2 years absolute max?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I hope JM Skipton is right... It might be a bit disruptive for a while but what is the max length of time it could take? 2 years absolute max?

Looking at the simple M1 upgrade currently taking place I'd say 2 years would be optimistic.....

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1599158

I'm sure someone has posted this already. Hopefully they will begin tomorrow as a previous poster had stated, I would just love to get a confirmed concrete date for beginning construction on Newlands cross. The peace it will give people when it's done will be worth any amount of traffic disruption. It's the behind the scenes hidden from the public delays that bother people the most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

Meanwhile, President Hoyer welcomed confirmation that the Public Private Partnership (PPP) to fund a motorway on the N11 between Arklow and Rathnew, which is bundled with a free-flow system at Newlands Cross on the Dublin-Limerick Road, is now ready for signature in the immediate future.

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=3059050;s=rollingnews.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Razor Russ

Good news the contract is at last signed

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0430/388927-road-construction-jobs/

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Good News.

Anybody know about the noise reduction plans for this? Shall they put up sound blocker barriers like they did on the M50?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

So if it starts this month we're looking at Feb 2015 before it is finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Packet wrote: »
    So if it starts this month we're looking at Feb 2015 before it is finished.

They'll do well to get it started before midnight. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Packet

antoobrien wrote: »
    They'll do well to get it started before midnight. ;)

I'm already mental-aly in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shane Price

.... as opposed to what most think is going on.

As a former resident and current regular visitor to the house which is amongst the closest to the crime scene, sorry 'grade separated junction' I'm in a unique position to report on the works as they progress.

So far, lands to the south east of the current line of the N7, for many hundreds of meters on both sides of Newlands, are 'reserved' by the NRA. This corridor is in addition to the ground that was subject to the CPO, and will be used to provide extra (but temporary) road while the overpass is built. I make this clear so that everyone understands what is scheduled to happen first. The temporary roadway will be built, to move traffic to the east, allowing the northbound lanes to be relocated eastwards and then the western side of the overpass itself can go ahead.

Until this work (the temporary road) starts it's very hard to judge either the duration or the intensity of the inevitable disruption.

As soon as I see actual activity on this ground (currently hidden from public view behind the BRG plywood fence) I'll let you all know.

Shane

Hopefully they are trying to cover all bases with the 21 months expected completion time? My guess is someday between December 15th & 19th 2014...

Go for it BAM, we believe in you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Quickelles wrote: »

Oops! Care to comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

While this news is way overdue, one can only fear for the traffic bedlam over the next 21 months. Only 3 lanes being kept open in each direction - Mega traffic jams, here we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

has anyone got a url for a map to show the extent of the upgrade? I saw the artist impression of the flyover but was wondering how far the new dual carriageway extended from the motorway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    While this news is way overdue, one can only fear for the traffic bedlam over the next 21 months. Only 3 lanes being kept open in each direction - Mega traffic jams, here we go!

Are you sure about 3 lanes only?

Won't the land kept free to side of the junction be used for temporary lanes, thus retaining 4 lanes during construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

weird

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

rameire wrote: »

Page not found
    The requested page "/sites/default/fil...chapter-04.pdf" could not be found.

Just past the Newlands cross cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

rameire wrote: »
    page 10 to 16 of the link below show how the

BE AWARE this is a large pdf doc,

http://www.sdcc.ie/sites/default/files/publications/chapter-04.pdf

and

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=101040452

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

Oops! Care to comment?

I do. This is very good news!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Eh? Aren't there only 3 lanes each way at present? Excluding bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Having gone through Newland cross from the City and Clondalkin over the last 2 mornings, all I can say is thank christ.
    Looks like traffic heading inbound gets backed up a good bit in the morning. It was stopped as far up as Avoca cafe. And that was a nice sunny morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Are you sure about 3 lanes only?

Won't the land kept free to side of the junction be used for temporary lanes, thus retaining 4 lanes during construction?

Only saying what I heard on the radio yesterday...3 lanes in each direction the bloke said. That mean only half the number there now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Only saying what I heard on the radio yesterday...3 lanes in each direction the bloke said. That mean only half the number there now.

That'd be 3 total, 3 in each direction means 6 total.

Advertisement